New elite specialization: The Vindicator

Telgum.6071

2 hours ago, RabbitUp.8294 said:

It really seems like the skydive at the end is the new dodge, it's the only one shown that "allows free movement", all others were linear dashes/dodges from A to B.

Also, knowing the context of the press release, I think we can identify a legend skill. At 0:17, he dashes and puches the ground in a cone with an orange effect (orange=Archemorus). He doesn't hold a GS in that animation, so it's not a weapon skill. Then at 0:32 he does a blue cone attack (blue=Viktor) and dodges backward, so the exact opposite of the above, so this looks to be the flip skill.

Yeh that definitely looksike the flip.  Though if the Dragoon dive isn't the dodge (I agree with the free movement but the shout windup may be slow for a dodge) it could be the flip over of the blue evade that gives resistance.  

Actually getting really excited for this spec now.  Seems like it will have a really good push and pull feel with the new mechanic.

Edited by GrayHawk.7560

1 hour ago, GrayHawk.7560 said:

Yeh that definitely looksike the flip.  Though if the Dragoon dive isn't the dodge (I agree with the free movement but the shout windup may be slow for a dodge) it could be the flip over of the blue evade that gives resistance.  

Actually getting really excited for this spec now.  Seems like it will have a really good push and pull feel with the new mechanic.

The shout was orange, so maybe it was just an Archemorus skill (probably some might stacking/dmg buff), and then dodged right after.

• Like 1

I have to watch how he Alliance work but there is something i don't like for now. With three leyends the need of energy will be bigger but obviously due to balance reasons you will be limited, now also it management is even more vital due to its link to the endurance now and maybe you'll run out of energy more often...  And also:

"Lastly, the vindicator will unlock the champions of the Luxon and Kurzick as the dual-natured Legendary Alliance. This legend's abilities function as an ebb and flow, with the abilities of the Luxon Archemorus incentivizing selfish and aggressive behavior and the Kurzick Saint Viktor encouraging defensive and supportive behavior. Each of these abilities flip to their opposing ability upon use, putting the slot on cooldown and creating a back-and-forth style of play. In order to open up more gameplay possibilities when using this stance, Energy Meld will change to Alliance Tactics and immediately flip all current alliance skills to their counterparts."

If the Alliance is an stance... Which legend will be loaded first when you equip that stance? Random?  Random is never good. Also Alliance Tactics flick current alliance skills to their counterparts, then that can favour big underwhelming situations. An example:  You are fighting and with an offensive build or situation where you are dominating and want finish your enemy fast but your endurance/energy and the rest of your current energy only allow you to use your dodge an a single key utility or elite skills before swap stances/legends to recharge energy while at that point almost all your current leyend skills are mainly offensive (Luxon)... Once you return to the Alliance legend again you will find that the "Alliance Tactics" will flick to a mainly defensive and support skills from Kurzick, something you don't want at that point and less spend energy in support skills to reach their conterparts and run out fast of your precious energy resource due to the dual mechanics and lose the impact you need in the fight and win profiting the energy you have at that time.

In other words, if you have to think in what legend skills are you using to prevent a future state, that will be a big mess and a bad thing because it will encourage you to, maybe, not use the most needed or optimal legend skills to avoid a bad future combination of legend skills that could make you lose after return to the Alliance stance, plus the reaction/action time you waste thinking/planning all that instead of being faster with a more intuitive system.  Often, that will also end with you forgetting the state due to the battle action and then have to improvise with unexpected legend skills and you don't have four attunements like an elementalist to mitigate a mistake.

I watch that duality working better in PvP teamfights or WvW in a squad, where you are with your team and to have a mix of support  and offensive skills should work. But it will not work well when you don't need a defensive legend, you need to maximize your dps,  you need some key legend skills  always available and not depending of the previous state of the Alliance skills that you will probably forget in the middle of the fight, like when roaming or dueling and needing to leave the combat asap or engage by combining several key skills, etc.  I watch the limited energy resource always forcing you to end with a mix of of skills from Luxon and Kurzick unless you can reset the legend skills in some way while in combat, but if you can do that to what legend? Random? That would not be good.

Well, in few hours we will watch how it works.  But, as it's explained in the press brief, i'm not very confident in how you are going to control  the Alliance skills properly, looks like more an improvisation system than designed to control it properly. It's difficult to believe that you are not going to forget often what skills will you have available later due to that system and plan a solution before activate again the Alliance stance. Complicating things is not always the best solution. Anyways we will see later but, about all, the next week because if we remember the Willbender... it appeared to be much better than it finally was when we tested it.

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Like 4

I'm genuinely curious how the overall play is gonna flow if they're killing dodge on this E-Spec. I like the fact that Alliance Tactics essentially just gives us the option to swap back between the two but it also sounds high maintenance if you want to just focus on one set of abilities with A/V since it sounds like they made A/V swap mandatory and you use Alliance Tactics to reverse the automated swap. 

I'll see how it all plays out but if it plays how I expected it to, then this might be the most intensive E-Spec on Rev yet compared to just spamming spirits on Kalla or passive boons on Glint. 

• Like 1

Ok... first impression, haven't seen traits yet but this looks perfect!!! (For me), literally everything I wanted!  Super deep, solid options animations look great and less recycled, sound effects are fantastic.   Fits right right into the high cleave in your face playstyle and looks like it will compliment sword sword perfectly!

Right, saw the traits, still sold.  Love the minors as well.

Only potential criticisms are the StViktor Elite and that the CDs on the flips may feel a bit long but will have to see it properly.  I can understand the need for balance though since we essentially have 3 heal skills and 3 elites with an option to insta reset the cooldown of 1 set of them.

Biggest thing for me will to try feel out how the dodge actually feels in game.

Edited by GrayHawk.7560

On 9/14/2021 at 11:54 AM, Dracomet.3648 said:

Anet says they will be breaking rules this Expac. So far with the first three, I don't see anything substantially different to say any rules were broken.

Oh look vidicator gets a 2k range elite skill, and warrior gets to go 350k damage in dragontrigger. Is that breaking the game enough for you now?

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

The elite es too slow and telegraphed so you should be able to avoid it easily or block it.  I like that, at least, you can reset Alliance skills although alternating both legends, but that obviously helps to have a better control of their Alliance mechanics, it was something needed to make it effective. Anyways all must be tested next week and watch how dynamic is its style and mobility with the new dodge mechanics too. The Warrior looks promising but again it's about effectiveness more than spectacular numbers or animations.  We don't know how all them will change from now to the release date after being polished, balanced... etc.

For now my favorite new specialization is still the Harbinger, although it need some changes in its utilities/elixirs and also its traits, but who knows after test all the new ones.  What i'm sure is that the Virtuoso will not be the one, it will need a big rework to resemble what I consider necessary and essential to be a competitive specialization, something they are not going to do.

They haven't mentioned anything about our feedback for the previous specializations. They should give us, at least, a hint if they are reading our suggestions, comments and if they have plans to make any changes and improvements regardless of the bug fixes. With a future list or roadmap if possible...

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Very cool for what I've seen. I don't get why people say is slow lol. Yeah the dodge and the #5 GS are very easy to telegraph but that's all, mind those boons, quickness included + the capability of being able to combine Greatsword with Double swords.

Archemorus/Viktor + Shiro on a power gear is going to be so kittening epic. And it will most likely be a very good dps for zerg play with Jalis, now with ranged burst AND melee cleave.

The Archemorus elite will be a dodge/block baiter.

Edited by Telgum.6071
  • Like 2

I don't know if anyone else is bothered by this but those Vindicator icons just don't feel Rev to me. Hopefully they're just placeholder because all those blue GS icons just don't fit with the rest of our weapons and the same goes for utility skills, they look like they belong to Warrior and Guardian. Please lean in on Revenant colour scheme which is black, white and red with a splash of legends unique colour for utilities.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Elric.4713 said:

I don't know if anyone else is bothered by this but those Vindicator icons just don't feel Rev to me. Hopefully they're just placeholder because all those blue GS icons just don't fit with the rest of our weapons and the same goes for utility skills, they look like they belong to Warrior and Guardian. Please lean in on Revenant colour scheme which is black, white and red with a splash of legends unique colour for utilities.

Literally the point of the colours is to represent the Luxon and Kurzick Factions in their respective colours (Luxon Red, Kurzick Blue), so I don't see how that doesn't fit this E-Spec when it's about those two Factions forming an alliance

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

Very cool for what I've seen. I don't get why people say is slow lol. Yeah the dodge and the #5 GS are very easy to telegraph but that's all, mind those boons, quickness included + the capability of being able to combine Greatsword with Double swords.

Archemorus/Viktor + Shiro on a power gear is going to be so kittening epic. And it will most likely be a very good dps for zerg play with Jalis, now with ranged burst AND melee cleave.

The Archemorus elite will be a dodge/block baiter.

And to add to this, we got confirmation of spirit bickering with Shiro and new hero chatter re Cantha

Edited by GrayHawk.7560
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Literally the point of the colours is to represent the Luxon and Kurzick Factions in their respective colours (Luxon Red, Kurzick Blue), so I don't see how that doesn't fit this E-Spec when it's about those two Factions forming an alliance

No kitten, all I'm saying is that the way they look right now doesn't feel like they're Revenant icons but Warrior or Guardian.

• Confused 1

So whats yall thoughts on Alliance Tactics and the mechanics behind the legend?         

Me personally, I dont like it much. The cooldown a little too long for me. And the way the Legendary Alliance works, I dont like how the skill flip works, especially considering that the two play different roles. 

• Like 1