DirectX 11 Graphics Issues

Weaver Sword, Earth 2 seems to freeze the game for the moment it's loading it's textures/animations - does not occur on DX9

*With low textures the stuttering/freezing stops, probably my hardware in the end. Don't have a more powerful PC to test ATM. (Nvidia 1050M 4G)

**Discovered setting textures on low removes any stutter/hitching during this skill and also maybe relevant during other things in game. Perhaps a bandwidth issue with my GPU memory in DX11?

Edited by monpetit.9764
Did some more testing, hopefully useful information

for the past several (at least 3) tuesday patches:

when the original tuesday update hits, the game crashes consistently in DX11 from a BGFX error (so i send error report through the anet error reporting prompt) , forcing me to use dx9 until the first hotfix hits (said another way: when the next small update is applied) , THEN, only AFTER the first hotfix, can i use DX11 again.

Adding an update to the cursor issue:

Original issue: Mouse cursor locked to framerate in DX11 Windowed Fullscreen. (Makes it harder to aim ground targeted skills and easier to lose your cursor when the framerate drops.)

Update: This only seems to happen when I have G-SYNC enabled.

Edited by DarkWasp.7291

On 12/30/2021 at 9:14 AM, TristisOris.2165 said:

found new enemy in game) https://ibb.co/3Ft8N5n

I had the black-red repeated textures (that when you come closer you find out is a repeated bush) too, the ones in the upper-mid portion of the screenshot.

When setting the texture quality from max to medium it fixed itself. When putting the textures back on maximum it remained fixed.

Here is another video corruption that cleared up after swapping textures from med->high-> then back

Also  Maximum textures had other texture glitches, like occasional rainbow blocks on the gates on wvw maps. Don't know what triggered the glitch (it appeared at max render distance and varied, going from washed-out rainbow blocks to pure black), but once triggered the workaround  was setting the texture quality from Maximum to medium (didn't try low). For this glitch (when triggered) the rainbow blocks came back all the time when setting the textures back to max.

GPU: 6800 XT (factory OC); driver 21.12.1 (latest available)

CPU: 5800x

Monitor: freesync active

Edited by Hex.6415

On 1/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, Hex.6415 said:

I also had those exact graphical corruptions in WvW but mine were not as purple as yours, mine were almost completely black and the toggle down to medium and then back to high solved it for me as well.

This is another glitch I've encountered, in Kessex Hills when approaching the Greyhoof Meadows wreckage from the east/southeast. I thought: "Kitten that's mad!":

https://ibb.co/LQn5h1W

That was until I visited Bitterfrost Frontier and experienced true madness:

https://ibb.co/HrqWnXF

Edit(2): These 2 glitches are not caused by the dx11 beta, only by  Vulkan dxvk-async dx11 together with the anet dx11 beta active.

I also have an AMD card but a 6900 XT with the same driver 21.12.1.

Edit: I went back to Bitterfrost Frontier to check what my GPU really thought about the situation and the performance info from the AMD Software showed a GPU Utilization of 100% and the clock speed of the GPU was maxed out. Before I left, to spare my GPU from anymore torture, I noticed the the lines in the screenshot disappear in certain camera angles. I was too scared to stay and do any further testing.

Edited by Lian.9275
New Information

8 hours ago, Lian.9275 said:

I also have an AMD card but a 6900 XT with the same driver 21.12.1.

Edit: I went back to Bitterfrost Frontier to check what my GPU really thought about the situation and the performance info from the AMD Software showed a GPU Utilization of 100% and the clock speed of the GPU was maxed out. Before I left, to spare my GPU from anymore torture, I noticed the the lines in the screenshot disappear in certain camera angles. I was too scared to stay and do any further testing.

Your GPU is waaaaaay stronger than mine (GTX 1060) and ive never had my GPU go to 100% utilization. It goes to max clock speed often but never 100% usage.

My caveat is im using medium settings and FPS is capped at 60 (my screen is 60hz)

16 hours ago, Spartacus.3192 said:

Your GPU is waaaaaay stronger than mine (GTX 1060) and ive never had my GPU go to 100% utilization. It goes to max clock speed often but never 100% usage.

My caveat is im using medium settings and FPS is capped at 60 (my screen is 60hz)

With dx9 my GPU utillization rarely goes past 50% and I have most settings on high/max - except Shadows(medium), Reflections(none), Character Model Limit(medium) and Character model Quality(medium) - with a 34 inch 1440p ultra widescreen in 144 Hz.

But with dx11 and Vulkan Async I get higher GPU utilization and the glitch(The glitch is ONLY there when using Vulkan.) in the screenshot in Bitterfrost Frontier caused it to be maxed out.

Edit: I have to appologize because I went back to Bitterfrost Frontier and did further testing and it appears that the glitch WAS caused by Vulkan, at least on my system. I went back and forth testing dx9, dx11 with the Vulkan wrapper active and inactive and the glitch is only there when using the the d3d11.dll from dxvk-async 1.9.3 together with the dx11 beta active.

Edited by Lian.9275

On 9/23/2021 at 4:43 PM, DoggySpew.4529 said:

Sofar, I have only minor issues with graphics. I see at times missing textures (which show up as just red). Workaround that is to set your Texture settings from high to low to back high again. This will correctly load the textures back in.

I also miss Drakkar's shadow when he is swimming in the ice. I also notice that the red or green outline is gone when hovering over an enemy or ally, and that the object glows. In some instance a big glowing transparant box appears.

It occurs to me when reading the forums that the most problems are with people working on Windows 7 and having generally bit older hardware.

I have an i7 10700KF

3080RTX

32GB of ram

M.2 NVMe SSD

Windows 10

I have had similar texture issues as well.

A Resolution Issue:

First, I set Display No scaling in NVIDIA Control Panel

It works in all games I play including GW2 dx9 mode, and I like to set the game resolution to ultra wide, 2560*1200 for example.

Though my screen resolution is 2560*1440 so there would be black boader on the top and bottom, but the ultra wide experience is really good.

But in dx11 mode, when I set the game resolution lower than screen max resolution, the image is forced to scale to full screen.

It's really disappointing for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an expected timeframe for the next DX11 update? 

Like many here I am constantly getting what appears to be broken shaders/textures on various world items such as Mounts, Floor Tiles, Bushes, etc.

Each time a graphical issue arises I can reset the texture quality down to Medium then back to High and it fixes it.  Issue is, it breaks so regularly, typically on using a WP/loading the world, that I have to do this many times a day.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 9:42 PM, Galmac.4680 said:

In PvE DX11 works fine for me, but for WvW I just turned it off. After some time the textures change to random other textures, colors change and all turns to ugly. A relog helps, but with a queue in WvW you just cannot relog.

I find it weird that the modes actually differ. I still have the frame skip in WvW (like a black frame insertion every minute or so, annoying as all kitten) but I dont see it in PvE. Not sure Anet has done any significant bugfixes for it since it came out though.

On 1/30/2022 at 10:42 PM, Galmac.4680 said:

In PvE DX11 works fine for me, but for WvW I just turned it off. After some time the textures change to random other textures, colors change and all turns to ugly. A relog helps, but with a queue in WvW you just cannot relog.

You can toggle textures from <any> to <any> and it will fix the glitches.

I believe (as a non-programmer) that the issue is with texture loading/unloading. Like: when you first load the map, when you port within the map, when you go out of xxx range from a already loaded texture and it becomes unloaded again (as in "random time" is not random, is just you moving outside of the visible range and the texture gets culled/unloaded)

The texture cycling from the options forces a proper reload of the textures, and this fixes whatever happened to them.

Noticed that NPC names etc has a thin black outline in DX9, which helps readability when lots are stacked together, but this black outlining doesnt seem to exist with DX11 (almost impossible to read any names if stacked ontop of eachother, it all color blurs into a blob).

I have sometimes graphical glitches in the garden plots in the Home Instances. The ground is black, green or blue. A few days ago I had some graphical glitches in the Guild Hall (Gilded Hollow). It looked like some textures were missing on decorations, especially on some green mossy decorations that were combined into a glorious bird statue. My fellow guild mates keep surprising me with what they make.

For the rest is DX11 working like a charm for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 4:37 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

@Hex.6415 What on Tyria do you mean by "<any>"? :classic_blink:

I guess I am not going to get an answer to that... hmph.

Anyway, I would like to know if the texture issue that turns surface textures (walls, floors) and trees into weapon skins has been addressed already? (You can spot some of those here - I especially love the "axe" trees.)

I was in guild hall and accidentally clicked on I think the scribing station and it crashed. I sometimes mistake that station for the way to access the bank in hidden precipice, but it never crashed before. Only difference nowadays is I use the dx11 beta command. So I am just posting this in case it helps troubleshoot that.

https://i.imgur.com/gpe2Fdz.jpg

On 9/23/2021 at 2:51 AM, Gemstones.4781 said:

This! Finally found someone with the same problem. I usually run the game on 1920x1080 because otherwise my potato laptop catches flames. With the dx11 beta the game doesnt change the resolution anymore, it just becomes super blurry. It appears as if it tries to scale in windowed fullscreen.

(Specs: Win10, GTX 950M, 64bit, everything is freshly updated)

Seeing this too. I play in boot camp on my 27” iMac which runs 5120x2880 natively so I downscale to 1440p to maintain performance but it just makes the UI all blurry. I really hope this is not how they’re going to release DX11 and phase out DX9….