Are you satisfied with the new elite specs revealed so far?

EpicName.4523

Are the new elite specs unique and fun?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Are the new elite specs fun?

• I am very happy with the new elite specs. It's alI asked.
    • For the most part devs did a good job. I like what I see.
    • Hit or miss. Wish they tried harder.
    • I only like one or two of the elites. The rest are meh.
    • They all kinda suck. Older expansion did it better.

The new expansion is still in development. Things can change. Numbers can be crunched again and again. However, new mechanics are likely to stay. The core gameplay is outlined. 

Are you happy with the incoming elite specs? Do you think they are fun to play? Yes or no, explain why.

Personally, I think warrior and revenant are pretty interesting, but the rest of them not so much.

None of them really make me think I'll use them at this point.

On the other hand, I use the last two expansions e specs, so I have reason to believe some will  get to a desireable state at some point, even if it's after EoD launch.

I'm trying to dampen my speculative enthusiasm for Shadow Mage (thief scepter). It's probably going to be completely different than I imagine, and that way just lies disappointment. Kind of like LacrosseMancer, which turned out to actually be Catalyst.

I really like the Bladesworn. I've never really enjoyed playing warrior before, I like the more complicated professions with lots of options at once and always found warrior builds kind of dull, but I think I'm going to have fun with this one.

On the other side I didn't really enjoy the Catalyst and can't see myself playing it, but I've already got 2 elementalists because I really like both tempest and weaver so not liking the 3rd one as much is not really a problem for me.

Willbender seems ok (guardian is another profession I find difficult to enjoy) but it's definitely one where I'll want to use a few of the elite spec skills with ones from the core profession rather than primarily using elite spec skills.

I haven't had enough time with the other new specs to have an opinion on them yet, especially the ones for professions I don't play as often like mesmer or necromancer. But from what I've seen so far it seems comparable to HoT and PoF which both had elite specs I like and ones which didn't do anything for me.

I'm curious about the ranger spec, because ranger is my favourite profession but I've never managed to find an ideal build for me and both Druid and Soulbeast are ok but I don't end up using many of their skills, so I'm hoping the new one might be a better fit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Its boring.  Theyve run out of interesting weapons to add for elite spec's in most cases, and really need to start working in a few new weapon types if they are going to be doing elite spec's as content moving forward (imo)

For instance, announcing thief getting shield isnt going to make me want to play a thief, because i will play a thief for stabby and shooty stuff not shield and protect stuff.  Giving ele a hammer does not make me interested in the class.  That is what happens when you kinda run out of weapons to give to a class.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, StrangerDanger.3496 said:

Its boring.  Theyve run out of interesting weapons to add for elite spec's in most cases, and really need to start working in a few new weapon types if they are going to be doing elite spec's as content moving forward (imo)

For instance, announcing thief getting shield isnt going to make me want to play a thief, because i will play a thief for stabby and shooty stuff not shield and protect stuff.  Giving ele a hammer does not make me interested in the class.  That is what happens when you kinda run out of weapons to give to a class.

They didn't run out of weapons! They're just in their own plane of existence! Where any decent developer company would give to ele: longbow? Pistol? Shortbow? Rifle?  And thief could get mace? Torch? Focus as shadow plane thief? 

Plenty of ideal weapon choices but these devs....urgh..don't let me open the book...giving hammer to elementalist....I stop here ...the mod police is always around 

• Thanks 1

I can really only speak on behalf of rev and ele as those are the only two professions I have a lot of familiarity with, but both professions seem just kinda like they don't know what theyre doing. I feel like both were cool ideas on paper, but generally don't work within the game in an enjoyable way. Catalyst is a hodge podge of concepts rolled into one and not focusing much on anything, and Vindicator also doesn't really have a distinct role in it. Vindicator really seems to be an open world/meta event spec which is kinda pointless since all that stuff is just faceroll difficulty already. I guess it might make doing meta events more fun with a nice big aoe dps melee weapon but the flip skills are just unfun. The only way it would be a fun concept is if its a vindicator vs vindicator fight and whoever can juggle that mess the best wins giving you a sense of accomplishment like a stupid mini game, but it's not fun having what you need dissapear constantly. It's not fun spending the rest of your energy to get them back only to not be able to use them due to the lack of energy. 

My short ratings based on functionality + comparison to core and other specs are so far:

Bladesworn 5/10

Willbender 3/10

Vindicator 5/10

Harbinger 6/10

Catalyst 3/10

Virtuoso 1/10

So overall pretty bad, not a single spec feels worth taking tbh. They clearly have open world or WvW zergs in mind when designing these. They seem to be most about looks, the functionality is not as important

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Like 1