Australian Servers When?

I usually get about 250ms ping which is just ok for playing casual PVE, but in the last couple of weeks it's gotten drastically worse, so that sometimes it spikes to between 500-1500 ms. This literally makes the game unplayable. I've run a traceroute and the packet loss seems to be occurring somewhere in the middle, i.e. not on my end and not on Anet's end but somewhere in the 30+ hops in between. I've had to turn off the game several nights this week in frustration. I realise the route to US servers is outside Anet's control, but isn't time they thought about a server group for the thousands of players in the Oceanic region? I would pay a whole other expansion price for that alone.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

When? Never. Well, never say never but it's extremely unlikely that enough people will play in Australia to warrant setting up servers in Australia and everything that goes with that. You have to realise that if you count New Zealand as well that you have a population of around 30 million people. The NA has almost 400 million people (if you count the US and Canada together) and Europe has over 500 million inhabitants.

So you see compared to those markets you have a very small market over there and I think that's the main problem. I have no idea what the threshold is in active player numbers to make an Ozzie server a reality but so far it hasn't hit those numbers and considering the above I think it's very unlikely it ever will unless GW2 suddenly becomes THE game to play in Australia.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

What about Asian server (Oceania and South Asia, exepting China because they have their own rules/servers

China wasn't successful afaik. So to create Asian servers for a game that probably isn't going to appeal to the Asian MMO fans wouldn't on their radar. Also NcSoft has a few MMOs out there so they might not want another there because it wouldn't add more revenue to begin with. I mean if you have players that go from one MMO to another...they can only spend their money once after all. So it might very well be that after the failure in China and that it would compete with other NcSoft games that it's just not a good idea for NcSoft. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'd rather there just be something like "server hubs," which are the physical location of the servers, but actually only have one giant megaserver. No EU/NA divide, no new region divide. Party up with any GW2 player, anywhere.

Hubs are automatically determined based on location. By default you connect to the closest (lowest ping) physical server. If there are enough players in that area that it is likely you will be playing with playing with people from that region. It is possible that you may not be able to play on your closest hub because there are not enough players to populate that instance hosted on that server, and thus would be requested to change maps to a more populated map on that server, or even automatically switch to the next best physically locate hub.

I don't think this is possible, and data redundancy would be crazy unless there is a separate server that stores account data and is loaded into the hub server when a request is made (likely time consuming?). But man it would be awesome!

I also normally play with 250 ping... but such as life I guess. There are times when things are rough and latency spikes, but overall it's not too bad.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/13/2021 at 3:20 AM, firedragon.8953 said:

I'd rather there just be something like "server hubs," which are the physical location of the servers, but actually only have one giant megaserver. No EU/NA divide, no new region divide. Party up with any GW2 player, anywhere.

Hubs are automatically determined based on location. By default you connect to the closest (lowest ping) physical server. If there are enough players in that area that it is likely you will be playing with playing with people from that region. It is possible that you may not be able to play on your closest hub because there are not enough players to populate that instance hosted on that server, and thus would be requested to change maps to a more populated map on that server, or even automatically switch to the next best physically locate hub.

I don't think this is possible, and data redundancy would be crazy unless there is a separate server that stores account data and is loaded into the hub server when a request is made (likely time consuming?). But man it would be awesome!

I also normally play with 250 ping... but such as life I guess. There are times when things are rough and latency spikes, but overall it's not too bad.

Well if you want a standard 30m wait time every time you log on due to your account transfering hubs, thats great. Cant play too fast now, can we.

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2021 at 2:20 PM, firedragon.8953 said:

This might work in smaller instances, but it's not really viable in WvW and it's dubious in open-world areas where it's not clear whether higher population or lower latency is preferable.

I think the biggest problem with it would be the noticeable ping differences between servers. If you were pushed onto a fallback server because your home server didn't have enough people, you'd suddenly have a worse gameplay experience and certain skills would behave differently. Inconsistency is going to be more frustrating to players than consistent lag.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:28 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

When? Never. Well, never say never but it's extremely unlikely that enough people will play in Australia to warrant setting up servers in Australia and everything that goes with that. You have to realise that if you count New Zealand as well that you have a population of around 30 million people. The NA has almost 400 million people (if you count the US and Canada together) and Europe has over 500 million inhabitants.

So you see compared to those markets you have a very small market over there and I think that's the main problem. I have no idea what the threshold is in active player numbers to make an Ozzie server a reality but so far it hasn't hit those numbers and considering the above I think it's very unlikely it ever will unless GW2 suddenly becomes THE game to play in Australia.

I don't think you realize how swamped NA servers are with people from all of Asia minus China. Theres people from Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia etc etc etc. Aussie servers in MMO's usually encompass much more than just Australia, just like the NA servers serve South America and Canada as well.

Edited by Pheex.8932
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pheex.8932 said:

I don't think you realize how swamped NA servers are with people from all of Asia minus China. Theres people from Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia etc etc etc. Aussie servers in MMO's usually encompass much more than just Australia, just like the NA servers serve South America and Canada as well.

It doesn't mean all those people would suddenly want to move to Australia/Oceania server though. Where they are now they have friends, guilds, guildmates - and those may not be necessarily willing to move either. Some people i know play in US zone now, and not in EU, exactly for reasons like that.

There might also be some other considerations. I.E. some part of french-speaking Canadians, and some South America players play in Eu due to language reasons (on french and spanish servers respectively) instead of NA ones that are much closer connection-wise.

If there was an interest in OCX zone that would equal the interest in EU and NA zones, we'd have one long ago - especially considering how NCSoft is a Korean company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It doesn't mean all those people would suddenly want to move to Australia/Oceania server though.

Of course it doesn't. I'm just stating that there is more to be taken into consideration than just the numerical population of Australia and New Zealand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pheex.8932 said:

With that list of countries a Singapore server would make more sense than an Australian server

As an AU player, I can't fathom WHY we would want Australian servers. Do we really think there are enough of us to populate them?

People in our region (Asia Pacific) MAY choose to play on an AU server or they may not. Even if they do, I feel like there still wouldn't be enough to justify many worlds at all....which would lead to things being stale fast - especially in WvW.

At this stage, I think Australians would have better luck lobbying their local MP to push through better internet infrastructure....instead of this copper mess that they've spent bagillions on and was obsolete before the project even really got off the ground.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/12/2021 at 7:28 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

I understand the argument there is not enough players but it is so frustrating. The players aren't there because OCE servers never existed in the first place.

I played WoW and now on FFXIV and I would drop them both for GW2 if there was an oceanic server. I also know about 10-20 of my core gaming crew that would also try/play the game with them. Every mmo player I talk to in the OCE community has mentioned trying GW2 and hitting that 300ms+ barrier as a reason they stopped playing or didn't play in the first place.

• Like 3

Well I do want an Australian server, at least for PVE and PvP. I am pretty sure Australian server could easily be filled in PvE and PvP, however WvW is where it may struggle. I dont think there will be enough player for WvW, unless Anet is doing small WvW skirmiches. 

But if we combine Oceania players + SEA players, I think the playerbase would actually be large enough for PVE and PvP.