Untamed Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

On 3/3/2022 at 12:00 AM, Destrumona.3794 said:

The effects are so, so, so ugly. I literally can't get past the slime veins long enough to give the spec a real try. I was genuinely shocked that it was not just a placeholder effect for the beta.

Why not a nice glowy ground effect under the pet or ranger that makes it clear when it is active? Or just a particle effect like soulbeast? Anything other than turning us into booger monsters?

Not to mention all the pet issues that have been discussed at length. But I'm just stuck in the goo. It's gross. I hate it. Looking at the amazing, detailed, beautiful effects on mesmer and thief and wondering: devs, what ranger hurt you?

I know people had issues with the soulbeast effect but it's 10000x better than untamed. Will be sticking with SB for now.

That's the confusing part- if the energy is the raw primordial energy of the earth why does it have to be gooey and icky and slimy and musty? Can't we be raw and primordial- and, I dunno I bit more refined? lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

That's the confusing part- if the energy is the raw primordial energy of the earth why does it have to be gooey and icky and slimy and musty? Can't we be raw and primordial- and, I dunno I bit more refined? lol

Well, the NPC does describe it as a "corruption" of sorts. So it's not meant to be pretty. Plus it needs to be immediately visually distinct from Soulbeast's more pretty nature glow.

Personally I would've preferred something more like the Reaper Shroud with a more naturey look. Whispy green vines coming off our/the pet's back kind of deal. Something that made us look eerie like a nature spirit out of a horror movie. Perhaps it also increases the size of the ranger or pet depending on who is Unleashed for added visual oomph and to showcase the savageness of the transformation.

Granted even on a mechanical level the whole "corruption" and "sharing the burden" theme fails since there's no drawback to either ranger nor beast just camping Unleashed and holding onto that power indefinitely, nor any real benefit to switching that power regularly.

Which is unfortunate because we see the Harbinger right there pulling off the "I corrupt myself for power" theme very well.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ehecatl.9172 said:

Well, the NPC does describe it as a "corruption" of sorts. So it's not meant to be pretty. Plus it needs to be immediately visually distinct from Soulbeast's more pretty nature glow.

Personally I would've preferred something more like the Reaper Shroud with a more naturey look. Whispy green vines coming off our/the pet's back kind of deal. Something that made us look eerie like a nature spirit out of a horror movie. Perhaps it also increases the size of the ranger or pet depending on who is Unleashed for added visual oomph and to showcase the savageness of the transformation.

Granted even on a mechanical level the whole "corruption" and "sharing the burden" theme fails since there's no drawback to either ranger nor beast just camping Unleashed and holding onto that power indefinitely, nor any real benefit to switching that power regularly.

Which is unfortunate because we see the Harbinger right there pulling off the "I corrupt myself for power" theme very well.

Didn't bunny thumper have non-juvenile versions of the pet or something like that in GW1? I know we have the alpha trait but it would be cool to have our pet be even just a little bit bigger.

8 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Didn't bunny thumper have non-juvenile versions of the pet or something like that in GW1? I know we have the alpha trait but it would be cool to have our pet be even just a little bit bigger.

GW1 pets gained more and different stats as they got older and could grow into elders and naturally got bigger as they leveled up. Depending on how you raised them (How much damage they took while leveling relative to how much damage they dealt) their stats would also shift from being offensive or defensive.

I do wish GW2's ranger pets could get bigger like that too, though I understand the concern with screen clutter if our pets could get TOO big. I mean, can you imagine if the pet was twice as tall as a charr? It'd be cra-

-looks over at Mechanist-

... Well nevermind that excuse I guess.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

UNTAMED

From years of using the ranger as my favorite class I really hoped that for end of dragons it had something more to offer including the style when entering unleashed mode. But the appearance is still horrible,

I would have wanted nice effects like the wraith, harbinger and even the virtuoso. They are classes that look very good.

SKILLS

Enveloping haze I like that it protects from projectiles but it is one of the skills that creates a very unpleasant aspect

Hammer

Our famous hammer and its abilities I know that many did not like it because it has a very small radius, I think they could add more range and above all effects that make players fall in love, for example that its effects are destructive as well as that of the warrior berserk.

And the unblockable ''relentless whir'' ability with stability and an evade would please us.

I insist I am very disappointed with my favorite class.

PETS

Some bugs were also discovered in the new pets that when you give them the command to use their abilities they take too long to react to the abilities you command them.

Really, the ranger-loving community would be very grateful if they fixed all these details

Edited by Alex Jacome.4235
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Alex Jacome.4235 said:

UNTAMED
Desde hace años de utilizar al guardabosques como mi clase favorita realmente esperaba que para end of dragons tuviera algo mas que ofrecer incluyendo el estilo al entrar en modo desatado. Pero la apariencia sigue siendo horrible,
 Hubiera deseado efectos bonitos como el  espectro, harbinger e incluso el virtuoso. Son clases que lucen muy bien. 
HABILIDADES
Enveloping haze me agrada que proteja de proyectiles pero es una de las habilidades que crea un aspecto muy desagradable
Hammer
 Nuestro famoso martillo y sus habilidades se que a muchos no les a agradado por el hecho de que tiene muy poco radio, creo que pudieron agregarle mas alcance y sobre todo efectos que enamoren a los jugadores ejemplo que sus efectos sean destructivas asi como la del warrior berserker.
Y la habilidad ''relentless whir''  imbloqueable con estabilidad y un evade nos agradaria.
Insisto quede muy decepcionado con mi clase favorita. 
PETS
También se descubrieron ciertas fallas en las nuevas mascotas que cuando le das la orden de usar sus habilidades tardan demasiado en reaccionar a las habilidades que tu le mandas.
Realmente la comunidad amante del ranger estaria muy agraedecida  si arreglaran todos estos detalles. 

I would translate this text to English because it is nicely explains the changes the untamed needs. 

• Like 1

Hello!

The following is some feedback about the 'unleash' mechanic for your pet and the lack of variety in hammer skills. The set of skills for your pet when you unleash them seem to be very mediocre. Certainly nothing I would describe as UNLEASHED!!!! The skills for the pet, in my opinion, need to be enhanced. Or at the very least have them look more UNLEASHED!!!!!!

Also, the idea around this specialization is so cool, and I am starting to enjoy the hammer skills and the new unleashed ambush skills more and more as I play the spec. Even though I feel there is room for more NATURE MAGIC skills on the hammer weapon set or cool ranger-like skills rather than just banging a hammer. Like vines coming out or visions of spirits as you hit the hammer. Or, one that unleashes a spirit towards enemies as it does a beautiful AoE attack. Hammer skills in the game for other professions have a unique spin that matches their lore, and style. Like, for the Revenant. Every skill is TAILORED  AND DESIGNED to look and feel like it is coming from a Revenant! Ranger gets nothing special and might as well be a warrior at this point. Something more than BANG BANG HAMMER GO BANG. 

Please, someone somewhere, at least consider these points.

That is my two cents. Thanks for reading!

Really weak. Offers nothing but  mediocre damage OR CC. The main mechanic plays out as following:

I am unleashed all the time right until the point I want to trigger my Ambush and use the unleashed pet skills, then I hit F5, F1, F3, F2 and F5 right away again (of just F5, F1, F5 for just the Ambush) and that's the whole class mechanic in PvE right there.

But the Hammer and it's animations (and the "Pounded into dust!", I actually chuckled the first time since it happened with my big Norn vs some small Jade thing) feel very nice. The "smashy smashy" and thumping was delivered on.

So ...

class mechanic 2/5

efficacy 2/5

versatility 0/5

style/feel 4/5

which equates to definitely not welcome in any groups for good reason.

• Like 2

One more suggestion. Stop making specs that require us to use an MMO mouse. I am not sure why having 5different skills on the pet is a good idea. All the devs should test the specs with normal mice and design the game based on that! The unleashed is not clunky, it is absolutely tedious to play!

Before balance change, serious gameplay changes are required. Visual indicators, less buttons, less complication!

Play the class with a regular mouse and try all the game modes to see just how complicated playing this class is. Start from there and simplify. Please

• Like 4

Restorative Strikes and Vow of the Untamed need to affect the pets in addition to affecting the player

Unleased Ranger should change the weapon skills for all weapons not just hammer (maybe have them with seperate cooldowns & no combat swaps to match with other stance swap specs & classes)

Edit: Maybe have cantrips give unleashed ambush windows on use

Edited by xanfa.2584

11 hours ago, seahorse.5169 said:

For the love of all that is holy in this world, please keep Attack/Return keymapping consistent across all pet-based classes!!!! 

This is an understated but significant problem too. This is the first spec where I felt I needed to map my keybinds to my mouse to have basic functionality, and this spec has required me to work against years and years of reflexively pressing F1 to tell my pet which target to attack.

Elite specs should absolutely not take skills the core class had and change what button they're attached to. I can't imagine how annoying it'll be when I decide to switch back to Soulbeast or Druid and need to re-learn where my Attack button is again.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 4:30 PM, Ehecatl.9172 said:

Seems like the soulbeast visual is a better fit for the Unchained and soulbeast could have gotten either a center glow effect like that Kodan infusion, a silhouette of an animal around them or even a ground marker like Herald.

• Like 1

I tried my untamed for a day, did the entire act 1 on cantha with him. Tried all kinds of different weapon combinations and for the entire duration I couldn't shake the feeling that I was playing a core ranger with a few more buttons that barely did anything. Have to say, the entire experience was rather disappointing.

• Like 2

I'm in the process of trying untamed, but I've been chatting with people and came up with a few good points I wanted to share. 

1. Hammer feels spammy. It's all the same animation with different things, and to hint a point below, when you're trying to juggle your pet's unleash vs yours constantly, it makes it impossible to tell what you're actually doing. 
  2. Unleash skills on pets are good for creating a way to make them more consistently positioned and give a little bonus damage as a treat, but when you juggle your own skills while micromanaging your pet in such fashion, your own skills become very incoherent. Especially with hammer, as mentioned above. 
  3. With the two points above said, the other model of unleashed "ambushes" just... ain't it. Half of them activate without you knowing, and some of their effects are just weird. They don't really feel good to use, they seem confusing and disruptive. 
  4. One of the reason untamed seems weak for power is because... power pets just suck, sorry. You can't really make good use of power pets at least in PvE in this fashion, because they're just not strong enough damage to reward the playstyle. 

I watch my character spin and dance and roll random skills but still hit critical strikes anywhere between 5 to 12 thousand damage every couple seconds, and then I use my pet's unleashed skills alongside their beast skills to set up for a perfectly timed, beautiful teleport-and-tiger-pounce combo that would get a standing ovation at a pet show, and see... 5 thousand damage critical hit. And yes, I am running the beast mastery line for bonus stats and ferocity AND the shout heal for some boonshare. 

The point I'm trying to make here is that not only do power pets not incentivize the playstyle untamed functions on with their low damage, but that style that makes your pet feel GREAT (in that you can finally get some consistency out of it) also makes you feel bad because your skills and ambushes depend on how you unleash, making using unleash for the aforementioned consistency purposes really make your own skills turn massively incoherent... 

If you were to ask me about my ideas on this, I think the hammer model of unleash skills is the best route to work with, BUT you'd need to limit your unleash mechanic so your skillset is coherent in battle: trying to keep track of four separate skillsets (now that you can access your pets skills, its unleashed skills, and your own unleashed skills on top of your own normal skills, but only two at a time) is incredibly disorienting. I have an idea that I personally like in this regard that ties into the dialogue surrounding the spec a bit...

The untamed profession NPC in Echovald mentioned having to juggle this corruption between you and your pet: stemming from that, I think a good route is to make unleashed forms for all weapons' 2-5 skills, but make using these unleashed skills put "corruption" on you. This corruption can then can be transferred to your pet by swapping your unleashed form to your pet and having them expel the corrupt energy in some sort of powerful attack. For instance, you could gain a stack of a specific kind of buff every time you use an unleashed skill, and at a certain amount of this buff you'd suffer some kind of corruption overdose, like holosmith's overheat. However, if you gave up your unleashed form to your pet, it would receive the stacks corruption you built up and then release it back at enemies in a way that scales with how many corruption stacks you transferred. Maybe a buff on them that just makes their next attack explode with all the corruption so as to not force pet positioning to be relevant so long as it hits the enemy? Or, maybe make the pet release these stacks of corruption individually with mini-explosions on each hit they land, until they expel them all? Or maybe grant them access to a new ability in place of their beast skill that mixes the pet's unleashed F1 and F2 skills into an exploding teleport that expels all the corruption for serious damage?

Anyway if you actually read all that, thanks for taking the time. I look forward to whatever happens next, but if worst comes to worst I can just cry into Jade Mech CJ-1's shoulder anyway. 

• Like 3

The Juvenile Siege Turtle skill, Jade Cannon, does not track foes with its projectile. Instead, it shoots its projectile at where the foe was when the animation began. Because the Jade Cannon skill has a 1 second cast time, it will almost always fail to hit a moving target.

So to simplify, Juvenile Siege Turtle begins casting Jade Cannon. After one second, the turtle fires the Jade Cannon at where its target was one second earlier, regardless of whether or not the target has moved. If all projectiles in the game behaved this way, they would all be entirely useless against moving targets.

• Like 1

I honestly have no idea where to begin.. 

Hammer i guess is a personal preference if you like it or not, being a ranged ranger (eh..) by default i always felt 'left out' for some proper nice new set, like pistol or rifle. But thats me.. 

Then the fact the whole unleashed is exclusive for hammer, i serious cant remember any other profession that has exclusive abilities tied to a single weapon, where if you use any other weapon.. half the profession is basicly gone.

Now the pet.. Whoever thought it would be cool looking to add some green/black/goo on your pet, serious what is wrong with you? Make it glow, make it with flames, or sparkles, or whatever.. but the majority of pets look outright ugly. But thats looks, now serious.. can someone tell me why ANY given pet, ANY given skill they posses (be it ranged, melee, aoe), any style they fight, suddely become a generic 3-ability machine? Not even that, all their skills are 'IF THEY ARE DISABLED', did it maybe occur at any point that half the veteran/elite/champion mobs in this game we fight at higher content have defiance bars? And if i even want to proper use all the skills, i serious need more buttons on my mouse.. why give your pet nearly more abilities then your hero itself?

Maybe i dont get the whole 'untamed/unleashed' theme/style of play, but it feels like ranger is the playground of goofieness, Druid, Untamed, maybe its just that the other professions got more 'cool stuff' that i now find my initialy main profession, the most dull of em all.

Maybe its my twisted brain, but i couldve thought up so much more fun sets to make. A sniper style with a fetch&kill pet, a support/heal with instead of some weird totem, using their actual pet, hell even a mini-ridable-mount pet conversion gunblazing with pistols across the battlefield or even a 'going bezerk' pet with massive drawbacks the longer he stays bezerk (kinda scourge new style). In that content.. Engineer may have become my more favorite 'ranger'.

Edited by Dinova.8597
  • Like 3

Hello,

with the recent patch i was hoping, that maybe Untamed would get some love (which it did), but this is sadly not nearly enough to make me wanna try it again. At this point, i think just adjusting numbers isnt really gonna help. Even if it gets even more tankyness and damage, it would still feel kinda boring to play. It feels like its kit (skills and traits) are "underloaded" and i can kinda understand why ppl say mechanist is the new better pet class. You could say, that it is not for PvE (the content i mostly play) but even in WvW and PvP i really dont see anyone playing it. And this cant be the goal. Maybe it is balanced, maybe its just me being to harsh, but it not seeing use anywhere makes me sad.

I think it "kinda" lacks an interesting game mechanic and a identity. The only thing i really really liked about it are he Ambush skills. I feel like at this point ANET should go all in on these and make them the prominent feature of the elite spec. Here are my ideas:

-The internal CD for Ambushskills should be lower. Right now 15 sec feel too long. Using an ambushskill feels really god so i think it could be half the CD. This way it is more in line with  a weapon swap.

-Using a cantrip should trigger the Ambushskill, meaning: after using a cantrip the player gets access to use a Ambushskill. Maybe even push it so that this mechanic has no internal CD.

-Petswap could also trigger the Ambushmechanic

-CC'ing a target could lower the remaining internal CD for the Ambushmechanic. If for some case 2 ore more Ambushskills would be triggered at once, let them be hold as charges.

-Some Traits (maybe the GMs) should modifiy/enhance the ambushskills. Let them applie an extra random condition or let them give a few boons to pet and/or player. Or the traits do the things i listed above.

-Every Ambush skill should (if you hit a target) spawn this spore-brokoli thingy.

Ofc, if some or all of this changes would find their way into the game, the Ambushskills should be toned down a little. Maybe less dmg, maybe more CC. idk. Maybe they could do less dmg if you trigger the Ambush while the pet is unleashed (which could happen with the ideas i listed above). This would give Untamed a mechanic which should make room for fun theorycraftig. IMO it would also give it more the feeling of a CC-Combo-Elitespec that rewards you frequently with really cool attacks.

Other than that there are a couple things i wanna mention:

-the F1 pet teleport fails if the pet is out of range. It should walk up until the port can successfully happen. Right now it just "farts" in that case.

-the spore-brokoli thingy could do alittle more damage

-the traits should be looked upon again. they feel really underwhelming. The top adapt and master trait feel bad. its just: CC and get a basic boon/condition. Also the middle GM trait is a joke. The scrapper gets this effect on a minor passive trait.

-please please please add some condi synergy. I really like condition focused playstyles. all the damage modifiers Untamed has should also affect condition damage

-some traits/skill that get enhanced effects on hardCC'ed target could maybe also work on targets that are immobilised. Ranger has alot immobilise so i think i would work really great with the rest of the tools ranger has.

-some pets could really need a buff. most of them dont see any use unless you really love a specific one.

(-if the idea with the ambushskills doesnt appeal, i would also not mind if the untamed is becoming a CC and Stability spam Elitespec. But i think the ambushskill idea is better :^>)

TL:DR.: Just buffing Untamed's numbers isnt going to help. Go all in on the Ambushskills and enable/enhance them though lower internal CD and trait options.  Also please add synergy for conditiondamage builds. Thanks 🙂

Hopefully ANET reads this. I really wish that the Untamed will become something fun that everone likes :^)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really liked the new ranger

Unfortunately as a player who loves lore on ranger this class I have no entry for any pve content. other new ones got classes, they got support options and they are doing very good damage. meanwhile at the new ranger

1. despite the last patch, the dmg is scary low - almost like support 

2. there is no support option - spirits are for the druid

3. total lack of condi option -  poison on exploding spores is pathetic, no condi on hammer

4. ambush skills are too weak as hammer or not compatible to do dmg similar to other classes.

5. a whole lot of mistakes in the case of our pets - they do not respond to commands or do not want to use a skill or do it too slowly.

even in pvp my friends say that it is not great, besides, you cannot create a class like this - blocking its way to other content in the game.

I just did a mechanist - it does enormous damage, can heal, be power and condi - where is the balance?

arena, why such decisions on your part? I really can't understand it.

I feel sorry for the people who bought the new expoansion-on and decided to choose a new ranger for their first class.
In my opinion - at the moment it is a dead class

I hope that in the future you will add changes that, at least, allow us to do damage as other new class eods do

Edited by Cytoplasma.8216
  • Like 3

Untamed is unplayable in endgame PvE: Raiding, Strikes and Fractals. It does even less damage than the now gutted Catalyst, which btw, fix it please, because the nerfs to Catalyst were ridiculous.

Since Untamed is designed around the idea of it being a bruiser which only really works in WvW/PvP, I can imagine it hard for some devs to give up on the roleplaying idea of it being as such. I would also find it hard to believe that this hasn't already come up on the drawing board but - give it group alacrity or quickness. Untamed already deals a similar amount of damage to other dps support builds.

• Like 1

I know a trick how to make Untamed a viable spec that does decent damage in PvE open world as well as endgame content:

1. Open your Build Panel
  2. In the third specialization row, click on the spec's icon
  3. Select the upper left option
  4. Problem solved

This works for both, Power and Condition based variants. 👍

Edit: https://i.imgur.com/dBZ4pO6.jpg

Edited by Ashantara.8731