Untamed Feedback Thread

Fire Attunement.9835

Not only does normal ranger not have a keybind to stow your pet, the Untamed specialization completely disables your ability to stow your pet!!

Please add an option to be able to stow your pet, and please also add a keybind for that (already existing) option.

Edit: also, since you have 3 bindable pet skills now, the "Return to me" pet option is now ALSO unbound. This is horrible, please allow us to keybind the buttons we are able to press with our mouse!

Edited by Dzjudz.9142
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

I was hoping each pet or at least pet family at bare minimum would have different unleash skills. Instead it seems it's 3 of same skills on all pets:/ Major letdown.

You should look at ranged pets when unleashed. The new skills are practically useless on them.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

when i use Unlseash skill (F5) , only my hammer weapon skills are changed. Why ? e.g. longbow skills are unchanged.
Am i forced to use hammer to take all advantages of this Specialziation?
In other classes, i can use whatever weapon i want, and it will work with the Specialization without downsides..

Animations of hammer skills are just copy pasted from other probably warrior hammer skills.  Thats something i dont like..

Edited by Alchymista.8192
  • Like 29
  • Confused 5

On 10/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Let us know what you think about the untamed! What do you really like? What needs to be improved or adjusted?

Found a bug? Let us know in the bug thread.

***Edit- After reevaluation and looking at other specs, the Unleashed needs to have all Hammer 1 skills on both the normal and unleashed version to be baseline 900 range. All normal and unleashed hammer skills 3, 4, and 5 should be given 900 range mobility plus an evasion window.” 

…….

Original post…

I like it for the most part, and here is the TL;DR version followed by the longer version from threads I posted...

1- The weapon itself needs some mobility and positioning skill(s) tied to it, otherwise it will not be great outside of PVE. 

Example… https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rocket_Charge 

1,000 range movement. 

2- I would suggest a trait that allows a number of Hammer skills to perform out to mid-ranged (600 to 900 range) and the trade off can be x% damage reduction in exchange for the utility. That's a fair trade off.  

So at minimum this is what it could look like...

Skill 1- While traited, all attacks are enhanced by "unleashed nature" and extend out to 600-900 each. x% damage reduction while  trait is used. 

Skill 3- Skill becomes a 600-900 range leap, dash, controlled positioning skill that doesn't require a target to function.  

Ideally...

Skill 1- While traited, all attacks are enhanced by "unleased nature" and extend out to 600-900 each. x% damage reduction while  

Skill 3- Skill becomes a 600-900 range leap, dash, controlled positioning  skill that doesn't require a target to function.  

Skill  5 becomes a 600-900 range leap, dash, controlled positioning skill that doesn't require a target to function.  

...These suggestions allow the spec to function better in WvW and Spvp, not just be stuck in PvE land.  

The original posts...

"I’m aware of the 40s 900 range port, but it would be nice to give this melee spec a movement skill (leap, charge, port, shadow step, whatever) on hammer #3. Ideally, a non-target required movement skill would be best overall, so the player can position and maneuver as needed for defense or offensive. 

I’m suggesting this because playing melee in GW2 wvw and pvp isn’t that great while being hampered by severely limited mobility. This is exacerbated by the fact that the combat system is designed for movement while attacking, and opponents don’t stand still, while also having access to movement skills of their own to engage or disengage.

Simply put, it’s not going to be a fun melee spec to play in every mode if you limit the mobility down to a 40s skill. And I don’t think it will break the espec to at least give it at least 1 consistent mobility skill on the weapon."

"As stated in my previous hammer suggestion, melee is not great outside of pve stuff. I’d like to suggest a trait be made that extends the distance of hammer attacks to like mid-ranged 600 at least for some attacks. The 1 skill could definitely use it…  I’m thinking you could explain the trait as “the power of nature extends out of your hammer attacks to X range and makes your AoEs a lil bigger… something something something”. Whatever. 

…Edit- the extended range trait can be counter balanced by a damage reduction of x%. I’m sure that would be accepted by players for the improved range and usefulness…

Don’t forget, we had melee daggers last elite and those are not good outside of pve, so don’t leave this spec in a similar state. And being a pve AoE farmer bot build will get boring fast… After all these years it would be cool to bring more than a variation of the 2012 LB/GS build,  or the occasional druid build, to wvw ya know? 

And please don’t forget to put a movement skill on hammer 3! The 40s port won’t be enough outside of stationary targets in pve."

Edited by Swagger.1459
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I would really like the "unleash" mode to somehow affect other weapons. For example, changing skills with physical damage to damage from condition and vice versa. This would add a lot more build variations. I would happily walk around with a short bow while dealing physical damage.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Varrg.2704 said:

The spec feels half assed tbh. I understand not having new set of skills on all pets, but at least the ranged ones should have something different, also unleashed skills being only on hammer makes weapon swap feel bad.

Yeah this kind of bugged me as well. I mean I get that it's probably a lot more work going in and updating every other weapon but I feel like if I were to play Untamed I'd be gimping myself by not taking hammer assuming unleashed doesn't affect the other weapons at all.

I don't have a lot of time right now because I have to run some errands but when I get back I'll definitely take a closer look. Because if this is the case I'll probably just stick with SB and/or Druid instead.

• Like 7

Coming from a WvW Roaming and Organized Squad play perspective.

The unleashed pet skills F1-3 are disabled when your pet is dead. Additionally, the healing Cantrip Perilous Gift does not function when the pet is dead. This immediately makes these four skills unviable in any zerg vs. zerg encounter because the pet will spend the majority of its time dead.

Forests Fortification has a base 6 second duration on a 90 second recharge in WvW. True that it can reduce its own recharge when striking a foe, but the Recharge vs. Duration ratio is very bad. Additionally, the only source of on demand stability for the untamed is their elite skills, be it Strength of the Pack or Forests Fortification. A spec designed to be a melee bruiser (which is what this seems to be) needs more defensive options and especially more sources of stability. 

The utility skills are all quite good, with options for damage, control, mobility, and a strong condi cleanse. Only complaint is that Mutate Conditions should probably be a stun break, seeing as other utility skills that feature mass condition cleanse usually are (such as signet of renewal).

Cleansing Unleash trait removing only one condition when unleashing is a bit weak. Should be bumped up to two conditions. 

The Ferocious Symbiosis trait only gives you a damage and speed boost if your pet hits something. Pet AI being what it is, and with zergs guaranteeing that your pet will be dead 99% of the time, this trait should give the buff to yourself and your pet whenever either of you hit an enemy.

Venomous Outburst and Rending Outburst both have a 180 radius. Consider increasing these to 240 as they will otherwise be difficult to land on multiple opponents. Additionally, Venomous Outburst, Rending Outburst, and Enveloping Haze all apply conditions depending on whether or not the foe being struck is disabled. These conditions should probably just be applied unconditionally.

Compare the trait Bolstering Unleash to the Soulbeast Trait Unstoppable Union. Bolstering Unleash grants either Protection or Might when entering Unleash mode, but never both. Unstoppable Union always grants Protection and Vigor while also removing all movement impairing conditions when entering beastmode. Both of these traits can be activated once every ~10 seconds. Notice a lopsided performance in power; Unstoppable Union is significantly stronger.

The hammer weapon skills are good and strong. They deal the appropriate amount of damage and have good control abilities. There should be an option for mobility on the hammer however as it leaves your only mobility options the Cantrip Teleport and a weapon swap to Sword or Greatsword. The hammer could also use a bit more defense on its weapon skills as once you swap to it you're basically in attack mode without much option for defense. Right now the hammer has no mobility, no evasion, and no blocking skills. That's not so good for WvW. 

This may sound unbalanced, but consider entering/leaving unleashed mode automatically reviving the pet. This already happens on Soulbeast when entering or leaving beastmode. Otherwise, the spec will probably never become viable for squad play, even in niche roles that Soulbeast has seen use in, such as the Immobbeast. 

Edited by Soilder.3607
sss
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, nobleboivin.4102 said:

I like the hammer skills and it does seem neat at hte same time, it feels off.  Idk why.  Just feels like something is missing or off.  I wouldn't say clunky.  Doesn't feel clunky.  Just when I play it, I think I prefer my soul beast.

I think for me it's fairly clear. The whole spec is....ok. I mean it works. It has CC and the pet is a bit more survivable but two things stand out, including the off-ishness of the hammer:

1. Why does having the corruption kill fashion wars by covering you entirely in what looks like festering dog sh*t?

2. If you're the one covered in Dog Sh*t  and use the hammer, you then can't use it for CC because of the long cooldowns. You have to switch to another weapon for damage. This means you can only ever realisticaly use the hammer for CC since you may as well have a different weapon for damage or you basically abandon CC. So why bother with the Waste mode weapon change? It doesn't really make sense to me.  Sure you can use the top tier GM to reduce the cooldowns, but why bother? Playing Scrapper is basically a similar experience hammer wise, but it's cooldowns don't feel as punishing.

I don't know, I guess I just don't see where I'd ever play this spec? PvE? Nope, soulbeast is more reliable and removes the pet when necessary. WvW? Maybe but the pet will absolutely still die in small scale and be basically worthless vs blobs. Soulbeast or Druid would almost certainly be better.

Only thing I can think of is reduce the cooldowns by 5 seconds or so or since the hammer is the only unleased-affected weapon, have the cooldowns on unleashed hammer far lower by default or something. Maybe a cooldown reset since there's already a cooldown on changing the unleashed state.

Absolutely needed fix. Remove that raw-sewage effect from the player skin and maybe change the aura from stink smoke to something, anything else.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As mentioned above, hammer needs a mobility/gap closer skill of some sort.

Pet Unleashed skills: Not sure if the "on disabled" should be there to apply the secondary effect?

Perilious Gift: Make sure it works one way or another even if the pet is dead. Also, should probably apply at least regeneration to the pet after health's been drained from it?

Exploding spores: Seems hard to land the knockdown even when in your face of your enemy? It seems you literally need to stand right on top of them?

Edited by OGDeadHead.8326
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, Kain Francois.4328 said:

Trait Feedback: Vow of the Untamed

The point of the spec was to give more control over my pet. Yet this trait nerfs my pet damage by 15% while it has access to its own skillbar. Meanwhile, when I grant my pet the Unleash Pet form, the f1f2f3 skills scale off Ranger instead of Pet, making the whole 15% damage buff on pet pointless?

It feels like this trait is at odds with itself, and actually punishes me for playing a beastmaster, as opposed to a core ranger.

But I may be misunderstanding how to play it right...

This trait only affects you, not your pet.

Edited by Dzjudz.9142
  • Like 1

Give ranged pets different Unleashed skills. It's really weird seeing a 1200 range pet need to shadowstep into melee (and sometimes not even fully into range) just to use the other unleashed skills. Ranged pets are useless as it is now with this spec, unless you the player want to be the one to stay unleashed at all times. 

• Like 13

1. Different archetypes of pets should have different unleashed skills. The same archetypes that are used for soulbeast could be used for these skills.

2. Now that we can manually use the pet abilities, its annoying having to manually spam low cooldown pet skills. Give us the option to set them to auto cast if we want.

3. None of the unleashed pet skills are listed as beast skills.  Having at least one be a beast skill would be nice for trait synergy.

4. It was mentioned in Guild Chat, but I think that other weapons should have at least one unleashed skill. The class mechanic works great with hammer and hammer feels good, but unleashed feels useless with other weapons.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OGDeadHead.8326 said:

As mentioned above, hammer needs a mobility/gap closer skill of some sort.

Pet Unleashed skills: Not sure if the "on disabled" should be there to apply the secondary effect?

Perilious Gift: Make sure it works one way or another even if the pet is dead. Also, should probably apply at least regenaration to the pet after health's been drained from it?

Exploding spores: Seems hard to land the knockdown even when in your face of your enemy? It seems you literally need to stand right on top of them?

Forgot to mention this actually. I feel the same way about the hammer. It definitely needs a gap closer, shouldn't have to take a utility slot up for that. Ranger needs those slots. Due to familiarity with other ranger weapons, hammer 2 should be the gap closer. 
The "on disabled" seems backwards to me, too. This skill exists to make the pet reach the target first. When do you ever get to a mob before the pet, let alone anyone or anything which shadowsteps? It makes no sense to me.

• Like 8

Nice to have all pet skills available (F1-F3).  Still, the build seems lackluster and not very dynamic when compared to the other ranger builds.

2 hours ago, caveslug.5934 said:

To me Untamed feels very unoriginal, can see myself shelving my ranger. To play one of the other new elites to be honest.

I won't shelve my main for this, but will probably not use this elite much if at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2