The Untamed is so incredibly bad.

nerva.7940

Mostly from WvW. The damage coefficients are horrible, I couldnt even solo a t2 camp. They decided to make Hammer 3 and 4 do virtually no damage, even when Unleashed.

The pet's blink is only 900. 

When the pet is Unleashed, the hammer does basically zero damage, especially abilities 3-5. 

I tested this with Marauder gear, and it's just so, so, so bad. I kept checking to make sure I was wearing the right gear, and I was. 

Edited by nerva.7940
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Miellyn.6847 said:

On the bright side: The Mechanist Golem deals damage ranger pets would like to have....

yeah i got 2-shot by one. gonna test it out. and u can also summon it when u want.

Edited by nerva.7940
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, this suffers the same problem as every melee hammer in the game. The damage skills are hard to land because of the range and the SLOW cast times. They pay off sucks in competitive modes.  You don't really have much utilities with it either compare to GS. 

The "Unleash" cool down needs to be way lower. 10s is terrible for this type of gameplay. You want to switch between the "setup" hammer and the damage hammer but you usually end up locked in either modes. 

Pet AI still is horrible, so you kinda need something to compensate for it. The Unleash pet skills are terrible right now. 

1 hour ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Its willender all over! damage needs looking at, AI needs adjusting, hammer schmammer does jack all. You cant frontline this way. Mech it is since ranger got the willender treatment, oh heck even willender is better 😡

Totally agree. To borrow from Sam Ajeste, this "hits like a wet sock trying to hit a mosquito." 

The Devs are very inconsistent with how they distribute damage with this elite specs. You got the Mecha doing 10k base damage and you got the ranger doing... 2k damage on crit. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DragonSlayer.1087 said:

Yeah, this suffers the same problem as every melee hammer in the game. The damage skills are hard to land because of the range and the SLOW cast times. They pay off sucks in competitive modes.  You don't really have much utilities with it either compare to GS. 

The "Unleash" cool down needs to be way lower. 10s is terrible for this type of gameplay. You want to switch between the "setup" hammer and the damage hammer but you usually end up locked in either modes. 

Pet AI still is horrible, so you kinda need something to compensate for it. The Unleash pet skills are terrible right now. 

Totally agree. To borrow from Sam Ajeste, this "hits like a wet sock trying to hit a mosquito." 

The Devs are very inconsistent with how they distribute damage with this elite specs. You got the Mecha doing 10k base damage and you got the ranger doing... 2k damage on crit. 

I just played mech and wow what a difference im actually enjoying the heck out of it. The damage is really good, and the golem has hp my pet can only dream of. I like mech sooo much that I have already reserved a name for one. EoD is going to be my engineer xpack lol. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nerva.7940 said:

Mostly from WvW. The damage coefficients are horrible, I couldnt even solo a t2 camp. They decided to make Hammer 3 and 4 do virtually no damage, even when Unleashed.

The pet's blink is only 900. 

When the pet is Unleashed, the hammer does basically zero damage, especially abilities 3-5. 

I tested this with Marauder gear, and it's just so, so, so bad. I kept checking to make sure I was wearing the right gear, and I was. 

You are supposed to use unleashed pet+hammer to refill CD with the GM 1 using 3-4, unleash pet= disable ranger , unleashed ranger= dmg/support

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

People calling it a pet spec and yet i was right, the pet focus is negligible and Mechanist got the real pet focused spec. While its good to see people being optimistic, as soon as you saw the player receive the unleash buff you knew this wasn't pet focused and instead some sort dance of power.
If i wanted to buff myself i would play soulbeast.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

You are supposed to use unleashed pet+hammer to refill CD with the GM 1 using 3-4, unleash pet= disable ranger , unleashed ranger= dmg/support

So for WvW, no one will take you into a squad if you offer just a bit of CC and boon rip. If the Untamed brought some serious spike damage to the table, then I can see it. Even then it's reaching because you have to compete with the Herald which is an absolute god in WvW zerging. But unfortunately the hammer is totally anemic. 

• Like 3

Just now, nerva.7940 said:

I don't mind that at all. They just need a 1200 range blink, some damage resistance and 50% more HP across the board. The Unleashed pet skills are pretty ok. 

The pet skills are fine, but I hate how all of my pets feel identical when I unleash them.

Would love to see something to differentiate them at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, nerva.7940 said:

I don't mind that at all. They just need a 1200 range blink, some damage resistance and 50% more HP across the board. The Unleashed pet skills are pretty ok. 

Ya I'm not really sure why people are upset by this

3 skills are much easier to balance than 30 and when combined with all the other kitten this spec asks you to juggle, not having to try and find a pet that has good skills in both modes is something that I can appreciate

Ranged pets could use a different F1 but other than that, the mechanism is fine

"A multitude of choice but almost all of them are the wrong one" is already an issue with Ranger pets. We don't need another layer on top of that

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, nerva.7940 said:

I mind it. A ranged pet should have ranged skills. It's never going to land the abilities because it doesn't want to stick to a target. The shadow step also doesn't bring the pet close enough to the target half the time. 

This is something that probably was looked at by Anet and then shrugged off.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Mechanically its not bad, it has some places where it needs improvements.

But whats really obvious with untamed is how bad the pet actually is. While the ranger is unleashed, the pets shortcomings become blatandly obvious. Vanille pets are unable to stick to your target or close gaps, ranged pets attack to infrequent, and self heals on your pets that you can control also feels really lack luster if you do not get a benefit out of it (jacaranda heal for example, or the small Fernhound heal which is close to unnoticable).

Just slapping beastkill on the F2 is not enough. Classifying all pet skilsl as Beastskill 1-4 would give us mor eoptions for traits and would also let us customize skills that could need a boost. Further we need control over just 2 skills, the CC skill and the utility skill, thos skills feel bad when wasted by the pet. Pets needs sticking potential so more range on engage skills and better reliability in hitting moving targets. Lastly the passive pet skills taht support you could be skills related to entrance. So for example when you swap to Moa the moa casts the heal, when you swap to a bird the bird casts swiftness on you. Etc. This ofc would need some severe changes to pets but it would improve the pets tremendously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Substance E.4852 said:

Ya I'm not really sure why people are upset by this

3 skills are much easier to balance than 30 and when combined with all the other kitten this spec asks you to juggle, not having to try and find a pet that has good skills in both modes is something that I can appreciate

Ranged pets could use a different F1 but other than that, the mechanism is fine

"A multitude of choice but almost all of them are the wrong one" is already an issue with Ranger pets. We don't need another layer on top of that

Well....you can't really reason with the mob....

• Confused 4

6 hours ago, nerva.7940 said:

So for WvW, no one will take you into a squad if you offer just a bit of CC and boon rip. If the Untamed brought some serious spike damage to the table, then I can see it. Even then it's reaching because you have to compete with the Herald which is an absolute god in WvW zerging. But unfortunately the hammer is totally anemic. 

No need to join or looking for accreditation, all you need is aoe dmg and sustain to gain the benefits of wvw zerg fights, something which Untamed offers, I never cared about this need of be part of the zerg, so far I used the lb to collect bags, it works for me and hammer on untamed plus these great utilities will give me exactly what I need. Troubles with pet? it can be managed and for me it's a small price to pay for what untamed offers.

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, vectorfox.6894 said:

People calling it a pet spec and yet i was right, the pet focus is negligible and Mechanist got the real pet focused spec. While its good to see people being optimistic, as soon as you saw the player receive the unleash buff you knew this wasn't pet focused and instead some sort dance of power.
If i wanted to buff myself i would play soulbeast.

The ranger community was crying for Bunny Thumper despite being warned against the idea, this bunny thumper has been cried about for years since soulbeast launch.......this happens because a developer studio seriously makes use of forum banter to design a prodcut..rather than use common sense and trusted methods like any other studio does

• Confused 3

57 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

No need to join or looking for accreditation, all you need is aoe dmg and sustain to gain the benefits of wvw zerg fights, something which Untamed offers, I never cared about this need of be part of the zerg, so far I used the lb to collect bags, it works for me and hammer on untamed plus these great utilities will give me exactly what I need. Troubles with pet? it can be managed and for me it's a small price to pay for what untamed offers.

Yeah, but you collect more bags when you are doing 240 radius AoE. Also, you get to play your favorite class in compositions, since they want what you bring. Not just joining a pugmander backcapping zerg where bearbow works.

47 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

The ranger community was crying for Bunny Thumper despite being warned against the idea, this bunny thumper has been cried about for years since soulbeast launch.......this happens because a developer studio seriously makes use of forum banter to design a prodcut..rather than use common sense and trusted methods like any other studio does

Here's the thing, if Bunny Thumper was used for actual design of Untamed, it would be TOTALLY different. They are not even similar apart from the fact that there is a Ranger, a Hammer and a Pet.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Its willender all over! damage needs looking at, AI needs adjusting, hammer schmammer does jack all. You cant frontline this way. Mech it is since ranger got the willender treatment, oh heck even willender is better 😡

I get what you're saying but I can't agree. Willbender defeats itself with it's own contradictory mechanics and design, Untamed is just a bit ...meh.

At least in my experience and speaking purely about what it introduces. I expected the pet problems and was right, so won't even bother going into that part. We knew the pet would become an issue because only Soulbeast fixes the pet problems...meh.

Untamed gives CC and boonstrip. It's not bad that it does that, it's just...meh. Unleash mode is visually horrible but does what it says and no it doesn't really work with hammer's cooldowns, the only weapon that it works with at all which is... meh.

I mean I'd be happy with the argument that Unleash mode is so disgusting and off-putting in appearance that the experience of seeing it is worse than the experience of playing Willbender but other wise...meh

• Confused 3