Is Warrior really this squishy?

Joxer.6024

Coming back to game after 5 yrs and rolling a new Rev (don't like my Asura) and a Warrior (for Bladesworn, maybe?) and in leveling them it seems that the Rev is just OP and doesn't go down and can actually do some level equal Champs, but on the War it seems my butt is in the dirt, a lot.

Now, granted some of this could be me sucking at the class but should one of the highest base HP classes be so glassy? If not, I must be doing it wrong. Am keen to get a War up to scratch but don't really want to boost it, would prefer to re-learn and level, I have time I reckon.

So yea, is this something common with Warrior ( I cant recall from my old one) or if not some tips as to what i can do to not go down so much would be most appreciated. Granted, this is leveling and then Living stories and such so not expecting to be running a SC build or anything but surely I am doing it wrong? 

Cheers!  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Warrior has the highest base health and highest armor in the game, so the devs tried to compensate for that with low sustain. In other words, Warrior can take alot of damage up front, while other classes can't, but can't sustain it for long, while other classes can. (This is a crude example, but its more or less the jist of it.)

There are some exceptions, healing from Might, effects like Healing Signet and Adrenal Health, Shout heals, etc. But they're niche and you can't work them into every build, so you have to pick your favorite I guess.

If you just want raw sustain there's two Stances that just negate damage entirely. These work if you want to go full glass but don't have the skill level to play it yet.

My recommendation if you're super struggling with it to the point of even finding content like story frustrating is to run Crusader's armor/weaponss+Zealot's  trinkets and then take Shout heals with Axe/WH. This still keeps Power as your main stat, gives you a high amount of armor (~3k, I think), and 1k of Healing Power which you can use to self-sustain through the Shouts which also provide utility including 3x Stunbreak when traited. You become nearly invulnerable in almost any kind of content, because you can just recover from all the damage taken.

This build can be extended in WvW with Trooper runes since Warrior heals for every condition cleansed. That combination works well in PvE  open-world for supporting allies, too.

Whatever you do, don't increase Vitailty, only Toughness and Healing. Warrior's high health is part of why its so hard to sustain (ironically), because its very difficult to refill completely. This is also why Marauder's is less than ideal on them compared to Berserker's.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

I think it's ok, not too squishy but at the same time not too tanky (assuming the player is running zerk gear with no thoughness / healing).

The defense branch does give a lot a regen through burst and some toughness + instant healing on removing stuns (as well as buffing stance) so if you feel like you're dying too fast, consider using that branch and take the time to breath a little before fighting again. If you think you can survive on your own with less healing, then feel free to change the defense branch with something else but for the time being, use it. In the end of the day, your DPS will always be higher than someone who's dead

Edited by Alcatraznc.3869
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Warrior has the highest base health and highest armor in the game, so the devs tried to compensate for that with low sustain. In other words, Warrior can take alot of damage up front, while other classes can't, but can't sustain it for long, while other classes can. (This is a crude example, but its more or less the jist of it.)

There are some exceptions, healing from Might, effects like Healing Signet and Adrenal Health, Shout heals, etc. But they're niche and you can't work them into every build, so you have to pick your favorite I guess.

If you just want raw sustain there's two Stances that just negate damage entirely. These work if you want to go full glass but don't have the skill level to play it yet.

My recommendation if you're super struggling with it to the point of even finding content like story frustrating is to run Crusader's armor/weaponss+Zealot's  trinkets and then take Shout heals with Axe/WH. This still keeps Power as your main stat, gives you a high amount of armor (~3k, I think), and 1k of Healing Power which you can use to self-sustain through the Shouts which also provide utility including 3x Stunbreak when traited. You become nearly invulnerable in almost any kind of content, because you can just recover from all the damage taken.

This build can be extended in WvW with Trooper runes since Warrior heals for every condition cleansed. That combination works well in PvE  open-world for supporting allies, too.

Whatever you do, don't increase Vitailty, only Toughness and Healing. Warrior's high health is part of why its so hard to sustain (ironically), because its very difficult to refill completely. This is also why Marauder's is less than ideal on them compared to Berserker's.

Cheers for that!! Just the kind of info that i needed and many things I was not aware of. Thank you!

And lets hope its not a waste of time if Bladesworn ends up being all sucky  😉

Edited by Joxer.6024

@Joxer.6024, The Strength traitline is as much a sustain traitline as it is a DPS traitline. Might Makes Right will cause all might to give 2 endurance per might stack. Building Momentum will give you 15 endurance per target hit with a burst, so Dodge into enemies (you do damage and with Forceful Greatsword you'll get might back and thus enduracne back), use an AoE Burst, dodge into them again, weapon swap, use another AoE burst. Use endurance gain food. Take all the might generation that you can. MMR also heals per stack of might. If you have Spellbreaker take Magebane Tether. In PvE it pulses 3 stacks of might, that is more healing and more endurance.

If you can play without Discipline, then Defense or Tactics also give good sustain in PvE. Take some Toughness and vitality and use the above traits and I guarantee that you'll always be the last one alive and can use a clutch Battle Standard to save a group (Done that plenty of times myself).

• Thanks 2

Warrior chains blocks, increased endurance regen for more dodges and the fact they are likely to survive one or two heavy hits if they do go through to be tanky.

Try running traits and the sigil for hp regen, try different heal skills... it's pretty hard to die as a warrior, but you don't have class mechanics that just carry you through that for example.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

Anyone who thinks Warrior is tanky has literally never played any actually tanky class like Rev/Scrapper/Reaper just to name a few. Warrior is definitely in the lower 50% of the tankiness tierlist. 

And that right there is kitten shame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

And that right there is kitten shame.

Warrior does better when avoiding the damage rather than face tanking it. It's not like it has 0 sustain, but it can only 'face tank' for very limited windows. Engineers, Necros, Rangers, some Eles even, Revs, and Guardians are all better at face tanking since Anet gave them the abilities to do so. They are nominally 'squishier' than a warrior stat wise, but the above classes that don't want to die will never die.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
typo
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

13 minutes ago, artharon.9276 said:

It's squishy. And and at the same time it's the a class that can be built insanely tanky in expense of having no offense. You can make your warrior a borderline pacifict that'd make Gandhi jealous. 

'Tis true. 

Power Strength warrior is the goto in PvP. You may have have even heard of the Condi Warrior.

But you cannot even begin to fathom the dopamine-fueled rapture of the Gandhi Warrior.

Take This - It is hope. The very last of it. It is yours now.

And with it; smite the pagans that still cling to heretical ideals such as 'DPS' with infinite CC, in the name of CmC and the great Nerf Hammer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

'Tis true. 

Power Strength warrior is the goto in PvP. You may have have even heard of the Condi Warrior.

But you cannot even begin to fathom the dopamine-fueled rapture of the Gandhi Warrior.

And with it; smite the pagans that still cling to heretical ideals such as 'DPS' with infinite CC, in the name of CmC and the great Nerf Hammer.

Neat build! Thanks for sharing this. I made a power version of it; let me know what you think.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAIh7lJwUYYsKGKOeX+vTA-z5QXIlmAZXBdHCyOA

Could swap the amulet for demolisher to get more DPS at the cost of tankiness.

26 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

'Tis true. 

Oh brill,

now I need a hammer skin. happy days!

24 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Neat build! Thanks for sharing this. I made a power version of it; let me know what you think.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAIh7lJwUYYsKGKOeX+vTA-z5QXIlmAZXBdHCyOA

Could swap the amulet for demolisher to get more DPS at the cost of tankiness.

I usually try to specialize  in either DPS or Tanking personally. Whenever I try to do both at once, it doesn't go very well anymore.

I have taken this as a message from our overlord to do one or the other, so if I had to go damage i'd play something like http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAIFlJwUYYsKGKOOX+vbA-z5gfKZKE6VCUwIoiFg7GA

Its not super diff. You just lose the Vitality.

More sustain, more damage, and more mobility otherwise

48 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Seriously thinking about running a Celestial version of that @Multicolorhipster.9751 in WvW sometime.

I tried it in WvW once. Very good in zergs where you do the stun and the rest do the fun.

Roaming you are pretty much unbeatable in 1v1s with the caveat that your opponent probably won't die either, and if they decide to run away your honor and missing mobility scooter make it impossible to consider chasing them.

Fighting lords/Camp bosses too... Oh no.

30 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

I usually try to specialize  in either DPS or Tanking personally. Whenever I try to do both at once, it doesn't go very well anymore.

I have taken this as a message from our overlord to do one or the other, so if I had to go damage i'd play something like http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAIFlJwUYYsKGKOOX+vbA-z5gfKZKE6VCUwIoiFg7GA

Its not super diff. You just lose the Vitality.

More sustain, more damage, and more mobility otherwise

Yeah I agree you kinda need to specialize either in ranking or in damage (at least on War). My thought was simply that you aren't getting much value out of all that condi damage on Rabid since you only apply one bleed per CC. Maximizing power (e.g. with crusader ammy) just lets you do more dmg with the skills you have. Dagger also gives you a bit of mobility to stay on top on your target. Just an idea.