Water dragon will be killed?

Aedil.1296

From today's post about Aurene's legendary weapons: "What if there was a base set representing Aurene and then versions for each of the dragons she’s absorbed magic from?

That’s right, we will eventually be releasing not one, not two, but six variations of new legendary weapons to go with Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons!"

So if the weapons age 6 variants for each of the dragons. The dragons are 6 in total. If each variation is due to Aurene absorbing that magic this basically means the will absorb also the water dragon magic. 

Now, if u think the number it's 6 including Aurene I don't agree. 

The post says 6 variations of Aurene's weapons. So there are Aurene's weapons + 6 variations. 

This sound like a coffession that the water dragon will die for sure then! 

The sixth is the first variant by my interpretation of that. Prismatic variant + 5 dead ED variants = 6 variants.

The way it's worded is both past-tense for magic of dragons she's absorbed from, but also separates that first bit from the numbering of variations. So the base prismatic version is not isolated from that six.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if they are hiding a water variant for post-EoD completion, similar to Griffon. I just don't think the wording outright implies it.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It's possible that we won't even encounter a single hint of Selbbub in the entire expansion.

As it's called End of Dragons, I really doubt the DsD would be left out of it entirely (most likely it will be killed at the end imo), as that's pretty much one of the main selling points of the expac at this point and is already being hinted at in the Taimi/Gorrik conversations..

I'm guessing there will be a DsD skin, but (like all other things DsD related) is being withheld for now.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Poormany.4507 said:

As it's called End of Dragons, I really doubt the DsD would be left out of it entirely (most likely it will be killed at the end imo), as that's pretty much one of the main selling points of the expac at this point and is already being hinted at in the Taimi/Gorrik conversations..

I'm guessing there will be a DsD skin, but (like all other things DsD related) is being withheld for now.

Yet we don't know what End of Dragons really means.

It may be the end of all dragons, including Aurene and Selbbub.

It may also refer to the end of the imperial rule of the Empire of the Dragon.

It may also refer to Aurene sucking all dragons from Tyria into the Mists, without us ever seeing Selbbub.

It may very well also refer to the deaths of all non-Elder Dragons.

Even if Selbbub is somehow involved in the plot, we might not actually encounter it, like we never saw a single glimpse of Jormag in Season 3.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Imagine Anet being dumb enough to dispose of the DSD without letting the players ever even see it.  The uproar would be worse than that travesty that they did to Primordus.

After what they did to the second half of Season 5, as well as all the Cantha lore threads left over from GW1 and the time between both games, I wouldn't be surprised to never see Selbbub.

We haven't even gotten its real name or seen a single one of it's minions, so Arenanet might not even have a concept or idea for it.

Additionally, it's located deep below the sea. And we know how Arenanet's treating (or rather not treating) underwater content. They even dropped that disrespectful comment of them not bothering to make new Legendary Weapons for underwater, "because Aurene vetoed". They could have simply ignored the existence of the underwater weapons (as they usually do about topics and issues they don't like), but they went out of their ways to rub salt into the wounds of people who actually like underwater combat.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

The uproar would be worse than that travesty that they did to Primordus.

You mean give him two maps, a dragon fight on the same scope as the actual Mouth of Mordrmeoth, a slew of DRMs to replace the third map he was going to get, as well as do rather extensive Asura and Dawrven plotlines... the same amount of content they gave the other Elder Dragons? Yep. What a travesty.

Can we drop this easily debunkable meme already? The level of deflection has gotten insane.

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

After what they did to the second half of Season 5, as well as all the Cantha lore threads left over from GW1 and the time between both games, I wouldn't be surprised to never see Selbbub.

We haven't even gotten its real name or seen a single one of it's minions, so Arenanet might not even have a concept or idea for it.

Additionally, it's located deep below the sea. And we know how Arenanet's treating (or rather not treating) underwater content. They even dropped that disrespectful comment of them not bothering to make new Legendary Weapons for underwater, "because Aurene vetoed". They could have simply ignored the existence of the underwater weapons (as they usually do about topics and issues they don't like), but they went out of their ways to rub salt into the wounds of people who actually like underwater combat.

Well no, its speculated to be located deep in the ocean, but we don't actually know where it is. And it being underwater now doesn't negate it coming to the surface to any number of reasons like, say, wanting to munch on all the Dragon Jade or w/e. So Anet not liking underwater content because no one else like underwater content either doesn't mean anything.

Also, us never seeing it, or its minions, was intentional to give a sense of mystery about the oceans. That doesn't mean they don't have a concept or idea for it, just that they intentionally didn't show it. We have seen the EoD logo clearly depicts two dragons, one above the waves, and one below it, so they clearly are setting it up.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

You mean give him two maps, a dragon fight on the same scope as the actual Mouth of Mordrmeoth, a slew of DRMs to replace the third map he was going to get, as well as do rather extensive Asura and Dawrven plotlines... the same amount of content they gave the other Elder Dragons? Yep. What a travesty.

Can we drop this easily debunkable meme already? The level of deflection has gotten insane.

No.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

Yes, we might eventually get DSD variants of the legendary weapons. However- the wording given pretty much condemns it as being in the immediate pipeline. The article specifically says that there are 96 skins going to be released. We knew about Aurene for a long time (that’s 16), and now we see variants for Zhaitan, Mordremoth, Primordus, Jormag, and Kralkatorrik. 16x those 5 plus the Aurene’s is 96. Meaning all in the foreseeable and confirmed-to-us pipeline are accounted for at the moment

It is possible that we kill Bubbles, but it is also possible that Bubbles shares it's power with Aurene, either out of some semblance  of balance or as a means to try to absorb her powers only for us to intervene on her behalf.

It doesn't have to us killing another Elder Dragon. Could be that Bubbles is so shy because the others were f'king crazy.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I heard that these Elder Dragon variants will be added to the game after End of Dragons and only the Aurine version will be available when the expansion first drops.

So I expect a sea dragon variant is also planned but has not been shown yet for obvious reasons.

Even if its not planned right now it could easily be a LWS6 thing they add after the fact.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Even if its not planned right now it could easily be a LWS6 thing they add after the fact.

Yes, another likely possibility as well.

I see no reason why they couldn't continue to expand on existing legendries like this in new content going forward.
Specially if future legendary sets will follow the Gen 3 model rather than the first two generations.

Edited by Teratus.2859

On 12/4/2021 at 5:54 AM, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Not exactly super excited for these....legendaries.

Inversely, these legendaries are the only thing that entices me about EoD.

But they and their precursors can be sold on TP.

So unless buying them off the TP, or altering their appearances to the five ED, requires EoD... I still have no reason to buy EoD.

Admittedly, turtle was more fun than I expected, but requires another player to be fun in any way.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:48 PM, Poormany.4507 said:

On 12/5/2021 at 1:37 AM, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Imagine Anet being dumb enough to dispose of the DSD without letting the players ever even see it.  The uproar would be worse than that travesty that they did to Primordus.

TBH, I can quite easily see them killing the DSD off-screen. And I can see two ways it can be done without retconning the visions of The All in S2 and PoF.

1) After Zhaitan's rise, the DSD was killed and replaced by another dragon, such as Kuunavang.

2) Sometime after Path of Fire, the DSD was killed by Cantha and this is why, after some time cleaning up its minions, that Cantha is re-establishing contact with Tyria.

Now would it be a kitten move on ANet's part? Yeah. But tbh, at this point, they've played the mystery card for so long that anything they produce will feel lackluster to player expectations. Same with the inside of Wizard's Tower.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

48 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I'd expect that, even though you can buy the prismatic legendaries off the TP, you'll need EoD to complete the collections that attune them to the other dragons.

I hope we revisit places that actually connect to the other dragons, or Arenanet creates new maps in the regions connected to the dead Elder Dragons. That way, they could naturally tie the variants to Season 6. Then they could call Season 6 Memoires of the Elder Dragons or something like that.

That would be far better than unlocking the variants in toxic green Cantha.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Inversely, these legendaries are the only thing that entices me about EoD.

But they and their precursors can be sold on TP.

So unless buying them off the TP, or altering their appearances to the five ED, requires EoD... I still have no reason to buy EoD.

Admittedly, turtle was more fun than I expected, but requires another player to be fun in any way.

TBH, I can quite easily see them killing the DSD off-screen. And I can see two ways it can be done without retconning the visions of The All in S2 and PoF.

1) After Zhaitan's rise, the DSD was killed and replaced by another dragon, such as Kuunavang.

2) Sometime after Path of Fire, the DSD was killed by Cantha and this is why, after some time cleaning up its minions, that Cantha is re-establishing contact with Tyria.

Now would it be a kitten move on ANet's part? Yeah. But tbh, at this point, they've played the mystery card for so long that anything they produce will feel lackluster to player expectations. Same with the inside of Wizard's Tower.

I absolutely hated the idea of Anet killing the DSD off-screen before reading this post, but both of these points are good ideas actually and could even act in tandem. If Cantha and Kuunavang paired up to defeat the original DSD much like we did alongside Aurene that would justify their Asuran levels of tech in weaponizing and tailoring Jade/Dragon Jade and also why they would reach out to us now (since it's basically Aurene + Kuunavang holding the balance together). Then the plot could develop with the aftermath of DSD's defeat and wrapping it up by getting just enough backstory  info about it during map achievements and side quests, so as to remain a permanent mystery (the Wizard's Tower being a prime example of why this would be nice, if only a bit frustrating). Finally we go through the main expansion content with Cantha's ambitions regarding their newfound power and the LW could deal with Mist threats/whatever Anet wants to come up with really (they are soon going to be "free" plotwise after all, and the game might end up not being on its dying breath after that).

But then again I think they will actually feature the DSD - they already played down the Eldritch Cosmic Horror thing enough for it to be able to show up, not meet the expectations, and that's still fine and let's move on.

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I hope we revisit places that actually connect to the other dragons, or Arenanet creates new maps in the regions connected to the dead Elder Dragons. That way, they could naturally tie the variants to Season 6. Then they could call Season 6 Memoires of the Elder Dragons or something like that.

That would be far better than unlocking the variants in toxic green Cantha.

I expect it will be both. Zhaitan will require some time in Orr as well as Cantha, Jormag in the Cantha + Shiverpeaks, etc.

5 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

If they did have DsD killed offscreen before EoD, who/what would be the main enemy of the expac though? Kuunavang doesn't seem like she's corrupted from the magic from the first teaser (more like she supports humanity, on the contrary). The government has shown no signs of hostility (seems like the xenophobia's been gone for a while now based on the previews). The jade mining company could be the main villain, but just doesn't sound large scale or powerful enough to have much impact (considering we have an elder dragon or two on our side, depending on if Kuunavang joins us).

Edited by Poormany.4507

38 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

If they did have DsD killed offscreen before EoD, who/what would be the main enemy of the expac though? Kuunavang doesn't seem like she's corrupted from the magic from the first teaser (more like she supports humanity, on the contrary). The government has shown no signs of hostility (seems like the xenophobia's been gone for a while now based on the previews). The jade mining company could be the main villain, but just doesn't sound large scale or powerful enough to have much impact (considering we have an elder dragon or two on our side, depending on if Kuunavang joins us).

Main enemy could be the leader of the Jade Brotherhood Chul-Moo and the one of the Speakers, Tetra, so two villains simultanously.

On the brotherhood side:

We don't really know what the dragon jade is capable of for now and what machinery was ultimately built with it. A big mech/tank rivaling the Breachmaker could be possible. Maybe the stored up magic in the Jade can be used to create huge bombs. While Aurene is an ED, she seems to be quite weak compared to the EDs we have faced so far. We were able to beat EDs and their minions with our armies, so why shouldn't an army enhanced by dragon jade be able to beat our ED? :classic_biggrin:

I'd also say the threat doesn't have to be as big as with Kralkatorrik back then, when reality itself was at risk. Not every threat has to have a world-ending scenario.

Edited by Raknar.4735
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Raknar.4735 said:

I'd also say the threat doesn't have to be as big as with Kralkatorrik back then, when reality itself was at risk. Not every threat has to have a world-ending scenario.

realistically speaking, there is no one-upping of Kralkatorrik threat scale. Nor should they even try, even Kralk was unrealistic stakes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Honestly, I think Joon is going to end up being the main villain of EoD. They're painting EoD to be a "mystery storyline", and this is why there's some detective work going on with Marjory and some Canthan detective at the forefront. The DSD as a villain wouldn't be a mystery, so EoD is definitely going to be a more down-to-earth villain, much like Caudecus, Joko, or Bangar (who admittedly are the most interesting villains of GW2 sans pre-Champions Jormag).

Unless their plan is to basically subvert the whole mystery storyline and that "major spoiler before entering the Jade Sea" is, in fact, the DSD showing up, making the whole mystery a moot point as a new threat shows up. I'd say that I'd expect more out of them than such a sad plot twist with zero replay narrative value, but this is the writers who thought building up Braham to be a sacrificial hero by having him do what we tried to stop the primary antagonist of the first "half" of the plot from doing, then having him come out completely and confusingly unscathed was a cool subversion of expectations.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2