I can't help but feel massively underwhelming by EoD [Merged]

EDIT: To all people that are thinking this is doom and gloom and I'm just stomping my feet because I didn't get what I wanted it's not. I'm just disappointed and wanted to vent. I've spent a good amount of time on GW2 over the years so yeah as a human you get invested. I think EoD is gonna be fun, no doubt a lot of work has gone into it, but I just can't help but feel it's not really adding anything the game needs and that just leaves me feeling a bit 😕 . I'm not trying to push down anyone's enthusiasm for the expansion, all this is, is a personal expression and opinion of an individual.

I just can't express my disappointment enough for this expansion. 

Absolutely nothing is new, it's just more GW2.

Eye of the North 2.0  because we need yet another social hub space, instead of Player housing, great, that's going to be fun traveling around such a huge area....

More maps, with meta events and chains we've done a thousand times over, grinding for yet another map currency yay.

Another guild hall, no new features that will be empty like the rest.

The new elite specs are just boring, really can't get behind them. (Honestly though it's fine as these can change with balance and made better over time so meh)

This is hard to write tbh, because I don't doubt the hard work that has gone into making this expansion.  The making of the maps , the weapons, the story all of it. If there's one thing that can be said for certain, it's that Anet really deliver on production and polish. 

I will buy it of course, and yeah It'll be fun on some level as GW2 always is, but I can't deny this is a very bitter sweet purchase and hasn't gotten me excited in the slightest. 

Really feel like Anet have a lot more work to do with trying to build this bridge between dev and consumer. These streams make them feel so out of touch. 

Like lets literally just walk around the guild hall showing nothing new. Everything a guild hall has done before, this one does, so they ruin the ONLY thing to discover about the Guild Hall is the hall itself, but we've already gotten a tour of that.

"We've haven't played it yet" I hear these comments.

Yeah but you've played GW2? because this is exactly that, but with a different theme, I don't know it's just so underwhelming. Like nothing new seriously? You're community have be crying out for Player Housing for YEARS and you think lets make a mastery that's exactly the same, has all the mechanics that would make it possible, but it's like Eye of the North like, why? The fact the map is so big isn't excited whatsoever. Only thing about big maps is flying around on your griffon but that's a novelty at best and not what I spend a lot of my time doing. 

Of course I'm going to get the expansion,  because yeah GW2 is a fun game, but I can't deny how lukewarm this whole thing is. It all feels like it's been thrown together.

Also, PLEASE pre-record your streams. Stop doing them live, too much stuff happens that distracts the team etc, just makes it's difficult to watch.

I love this game, but this expansion, I just need to express, it's just not there. Anet adding things without improving what's already there is iconic at this point.

This game HAS content, so much in the game there's more than enough to do, but the gameplay loop fades overtime, EoD should've been an expansion about improving the whole gameplay loop of GW2, not just adding more content. That's what PoF did and the LW seasons, an expansion is a time to innovate and change things like HoT did.

We got DX11 which is incredible, redone rewards system, promise of balance changes, this is all amazing stuff, I want more like this. HUD changes, TP changes, a regular flow of Fractals, Strikes and Raids. Hell bring Dungeons back, DRMs could've been dungeons like for real. Why not? Your game already has all this incredible content that can be utilized, but no let's just add more stuff. New currencies. Why not throw in a PvP map every now and then, can't be that hard to make a PvP conquest map.

This is what got me burned out on GW2 around PoF. Once you've played all the content there's little that actually brings you back to the game, the gameplay loop is weak once you're on top and at the end game.

With all these expansions, it feels that the game has changed from 80 being the Endgame and is now the start of the midgame, with Endgame being once you have legendries and masteries. Once you have, what then? Your game is just about collections and skins at that point. Yeah you can build craft which is incredibly fun, but without guaranteed content like Dungeons, Fractals, Raids on the horizon it can feel a little pointless.

I really just want Anet to find a rhythm that we can all get behind, a workflow and content stream that doesn't burnout the devs and one that provides a nice healthy flow of content throughout the game.

I'd love to see 3 Fractals, 3 maps, 3 strikes and 1 raid every year. Just something that I know this new thing is coming out for the game and has structure, a rhythm. We need a balance of content for all these amazing modes in GW2. 

I could go on ranting and moaning, but whatever. I just wanted to vent. I'm really hoping that post EoD Anet will get their focus in line and really try to understand what GW2 needs and how to support GW2 in the future. 

Edited by SirRocket.3516
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

• SirRocket.3516 changed the title to I can't help but feel massively underwhelming by EoD
25 minutes ago, SirRocket.3516 said:

I don't really see how it could be anything else?

I'm not very enthusiastic about what has been shown so far, particularly comparing to the quality of HoT and PoF, but I wouldn't be interested in the expansion at all if I didn't still want more GW2. I'm not really expecting them to reinvent the wheel at this stage in terms of gameplay.

Edited by babak.3654
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some players asked for Housing, some players asked for Fishing.  Some got what they wanted, some did not. 

Some players asked for more Fractals, more Raids; some asked for more Strikes. Some got what they wanted, some did not.

Some players want more maps, more exploration, more collections; some want something else.  Again, some get what they want from End of Dragons; some do not.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 12
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Some players asked for Housing, some players asked for Fishing.  Some got what they wanted, some did not. 

Some players asked for more Fractals, more Raids; some asked for more Strikes. Some got what they wanted, some did not.

Some players want more maps, more exploration, more collections; some want something else.  Again, some get what they want from End of Dragons; some do not.

🤷‍♂️

This is kind of the problem no?

Anet have built a game way to big for them to even support, so why add more content that will develop a community for it to be dropped?

• Like 8
  • Confused 8

33 minutes ago, babak.3654 said:

I don't really see how it could be anything else?

I'm not very enthusiastic about what has been shown so far, particularly comparing to the quality of HoT and PoF, but I wouldn't be interested in the expansion at all if I didn't still want more GW2. I'm not really expecting them to reinvent the wheel at this stage in terms of gameplay.

I just feel the game is at a point where they need to be more thoughtful with what they're implementing in the game. Right now GW2 is huge, there's soo much to do it's seriously incredible. 

But it's also really complicated to navigate, all these different items, currencies, vendors you have to go to, but only in certain maps, I believe they said the new strikes were going to be in the new zone only? Why not just add to the eye of the north, just have one zone for strikes, it just makes things more complicated for no reason. 

• Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, the solution is to only give the players that want what was there before?

Again, some get more of what there was, some get what they have been hoping for. 

Just to be thoughtful with the content they're implementing, finding ways to deepen the systems that already exist and finding ways to enhance them, as was done with masteries in HoT. Just adding more 'new' isn't going to solve the issue the game always faces when content starts to run dry.

I'm not bothered I didn't get what I want, this isn't what this post is about and shouldn't be the take away. 

You can't deny that GW2 has an issue with the consistency of it's content. The games content stream has always been unpredictable. So I guess I'm saying a solution would be to find a more predictable content stream, while yes updating and adding what already exists.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

You're sending mixed signals here:

1 hour ago, SirRocket.3516 said:

Absolutely nothing is new, it's just more GW2

13 minutes ago, SirRocket.3516 said:

Just adding more 'new' isn't going to solve the issue the game always faces when content starts to run dry.

So you want new content, but don't want it at the same time. Okay?

13 minutes ago, SirRocket.3516 said:

I'm not bothered I didn't get what I want, this isn't what this post is about and shouldn't be the take away. 

But this seems to be exactly what the post is about.

You're bothered that EoD isn't more instanced content like fractals, raids etc. but instead more OW and story content.

Relevant quotes:

I want more like this. HUD changes, TP changes, a regular flow of Fractals, Strikes and Raids. Hell bring Dungeons back, DRMs could've been dungeons like for real.

I'd love to see 3 Fractals, 3 maps, 3 strikes and 1 raid every year. Just something that I know this new thing is coming out for the game and has structure, a rhythm. We need a balance of content for all these amazing modes in GW2. 

Yeah you can build craft which is incredibly fun, but without guaranteed content like Dungeons, Fractals, Raids on the horizon it can feel a little pointless.

The problem here is as amazing as you might find that content in your subjective opinion, it seems to be that Anet has metrics that tell them which content is being played. EoD seems to try to introduce more content of the same that is being actively played by the larger playerbase.

Edited by Raknar.4735
  • Like 2

What else should it be? I don't want the game to become something completely different - that's what you have tons of other games for. 😉

1 hour ago, babak.3654 said:

I'm not very enthusiastic about what has been shown so far, particularly comparing to the quality of HoT and PoF

Excuse me? What did HoT of all expansions had to offer that was special, except for the introduction of the Mastery system and Gliding? Okay, the Rev profession and better Elite Specs than EoD, I give you that. 🙂

I wasn't the biggest fan of HoT's story, though, I liked PoF's so much better. HoT was all about "Mordremoth here" and "Mordremoth there", and slaying Mordrem, Mordrem, and even more Mordrem - and all the talk about Sylvari distrust and a lot of whining.

Even though I abhor jade tech, I can see a lot more fun potential in EoD (i.e., things to do) than in HoT. The only thing that HoT has going for me are its map metas, and that only because of the (microscopically small) change of super expensive infusion drops. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Raknar.4735 said:

You're sending mixed signals here:

So you want new content, but don't want it at the same time. Okay?

But this seems to be exactly what the post is about.

You're bothered that EoD isn't more instanced content like fractals, raids etc. but instead more OW and story content.

Relevant quotes:

The problem here is as amazing as you might find that content in your subjective opinion, it seems to be that Anet has metrics that tell them which content is being played. EoD seems to try to introduce more content of the same that is being actively played by the larger playerbase.

I'm articulating between what I want/expected from the game vs trying to think more on the scale of what would be better for the game for everyone. Those opinions can cause contradictions in what I'm saying and should state more clearly where I'm talking from. I must admit that's laziness on my part.

This is what I find difficult about posting on forums. It's difficult to find the way to best describe where your head is at with the game.

Edited by SirRocket.3516
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Very happy with all seen and as long as there’s no repeat of the end IBS in terms of quality, then I’ll be happy. My only concern is there may only be 4 maps. I hope they are just saving things because 4 maps after such a long wait - repeatable or no - I don’t think is where an expansion should be at. I’d be happier with 5-6.

But,  nothing else has me concerned. I’ve not played much this year due to unrelated game reasons, so I’m looking forward to more regular play with fresh new content. At this point, content (ie more of the same good stuff we have come to depend on) over features is far more important to me and the features that they have revealed appeal to me a great deal anyway.

Cant wait

• Like 3

On 12/4/2021 at 12:33 PM, SirRocket.3516 said:

Your game is just about collections and skins at that point. Yeah you can build craft which is incredibly fun, but without guaranteed content like Dungeons, Fractals, Raids on the horizon it can feel a little pointless.

That's what the game has always been about... The only reason to do dungeons in any game is the rewards. (in WoW, the item-level gear treadmill which Fractals, Ascended, and agony replicated to some degree)

Each dungeon came with its own set of skins which was nice. Fractals periodically add new skins with new Fractals, but most people do Fractals consistently for the raw gold... which they probably use towards buying skins on the TP or crafting Legendaries.

I never really understood the reward scheme for Strikes (and they were introduced while I was taking a break) so I never really got into them. If they can get DRM-style queuing for them, I think that'd be great.

Speaking of DRMs, I think that's another area where it all comes down to rewards... Which is why dungeons are largely abandoned. The reward for time spent just doesn't seem on-par with other areas of the game. Ultimately, if you're endgame, the only real reason to repeat content you've already conquered is for a chance at rewards. (Which is also why any meta with rare infusions is popular)

Edited by Minos.5168
  • Thanks 1

You're just burned out on the core game + reward structure loop.  I am too.  Something interesting I learned recently is that the brain circuits for dopamine / enjoyment and habit such as continued play are completely separate.  Most people hit a threshold where they realize something isn't fun anymore, and that's really all there is to it. 

You're not going to recoup on fun because you're not playing End of Dragons for fun.  You're playing it out of habit.

The thing is, you're not going to find that "new" thing you're looking for inside of GW2.  You can't expect one game to satisfy all your wants, needs and desires as a person or as a gamer.  I've been playing sparse amounts of GW2 complimented by Path of Exile, Final Fantasy XIV, Hades, Celeste & Tetris Effect.  The best thing you can do is break the habit and do other stuff.   I'm also reading a lot more and satisfying my desire for lore, stories & world-building there.

I'll probably pick up End of Dragons eventually, and it'll probably in a better, more balanced spot when I do so.  Probably in Summer 2022, if I had to put a guesstimate out there.  You just have to follow the fun.  Not the habit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, LunarRXA.5062 said:

You're just burned out on the core game + reward structure loop.  I am too.  Something interesting I learned recently is that the brain circuits for dopamine / enjoyment and habit such as continued play are completely separate.  Most people hit a threshold where they realize something isn't fun anymore, and that's really all there is to it. 

You're not going to recoup on fun because you're not playing End of Dragons for fun.  You're playing it out of habit.

The thing is, you're not going to find that "new" thing you're looking for inside of GW2.  You can't expect one game to satisfy all your wants, needs and desires as a person or as a gamer.  I've been playing sparse amounts of GW2 complimented by Path of Exile, Final Fantasy XIV, Hades, Celeste & Tetris Effect.  The best thing you can do is break the habit and do other stuff.   I'm also reading a lot more and satisfying my desire for lore, stories & world-building there.

I'll probably pick up End of Dragons eventually, and it'll probably in a better, more balanced spot when I do so.  Probably in Summer 2022, if I had to put a guesstimate out there.  You just have to follow the fun.  Not the habit.

A good point.

I do, do things outside of the game and play other games, lately I've been playing Soul Sacrifice delta, Niota, Don't Starve Together, in variations. Also really interested in the upcoming 'The Anacrusis' a co-op shooter made by the lead writer of L4D2 and Portal 2. I draw, which is it's own journey.  Of course reading, been reading Dune The Messiah, also board games (whenever I can take hostage of a few people).

I respect your comment as being productive, but tbh I kinda wish people would focus less on me and more on the game. Because it does have it's flaws and they should be called out as with anything. There's many aspects to GW2 that make it amazing, but there's so much that could make it great. I'm happy with the game over all, but every now and then you just develop some views that you want to have a moan about. 

Of course it is what it is.

Thanks for the comment, appreciate it 🙂

(Hades looks like an awesome game, will have to pick it up on a sale)

The game does have its flaws, but you can't expect a singular game to change to suit your individual needs.  It's important to learn not to fall victim to the ever-present, "beast of possibility," -- we have an innate predisposition or need to want things to be a certain way -- they could have been, would have been, should have been...  -- It's a mental trap that sorta of eats away at your free-time / to play; it's important to accept things as they are for what they are rather than accept things as they are, for what they "should" be... if that makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I kind of felt like the original post could be summed up as saying this expansion feels more like a bundle of Living World releases than an expansion we're used to before, being more story continuity content over feature content. Besides the new elite specs, which some say do not appear to have been particularly well thought out, just about everything else could have been brought to play by a Living World release. I think it logically follows then that the upcoming expansion feels rather underwhelming when the only really new thing being introduced all around besides elite specs is fishing, which they haven't let players try and potentially hype up.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

On 12/6/2021 at 6:45 PM, LunarRXA.5062 said:

The game does have its flaws, but you can't expect a singular game to change to suit your individual needs.  It's important to learn not to fall victim to the ever-present, "beast of possibility," -- we have an innate predisposition or need to want things to be a certain way -- they could have been, would have been, should have been...  -- It's a mental trap that sorta of eats away at your free-time / to play; it's important to accept things as they are for what they are rather than accept things as they are, for what they "should" be... if that makes sense.

For sure I agree on a level.

At the same time I think it's balance. Sometimes just being quiet and accepting things as they are would cause no conversation on any level. Nothing would change and it would become stale. For the most part that is exactly what I do. I understand why things are the way they are and I enjoy the game. This post isn't my view of the game, just of how I'm viewing the expansion and what I feel it's adding to the game. Good or bad is entirely subjective and no one is wrong for thinking otherwise, it's down to the individual to value it's worth.

Yes you shouldn't expect things to change to suit you all the time, it's easy to get tunnel vision, but as with all things it's balance. You try to develop an opinion, or rather can have an idea that isn't alone. But would never know if it just stays in your head.

If no one had a will to want things done their way, then the game wouldn't receive feedback or improve. Everyone is just working on their personal tastes and beliefs on what they believe is best for the game, for them. Again you do try to think of ways why it would be good for everyone, but at the end of the day it's what you want. But that can get complicated and depends on the context of that particular point.

Still though, Anet provide a game for money, I pay as a consumer, I just as anyone in this game pay for this experience and the game can receive updated based on what is valued by the consumers. So of course I'm going to want to voice what I want in the game and what I find most fun.

I'm still there praising Anet for what they do well in the game as well as what they don't. I do think it's our place as the consumer to provide our thoughts as it helps create a better view on what people think about certain aspects of the game. Of course the problem is that we don't have any real experience on what's possible within development or what would be worth prioritizing, we all come from a place of ignorance in that regard. (I certainly do)

There's a time and place for sure and not all things are right, that falls into the context of what's being said. I know I'm not alone in my numb feeling for the expansion and I do believe it could've been more. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I'm going to take a guess here - if it's right, great, if not, lmk. Anyway, OP it seems like the gist of what you're saying is that there are gameplay loops - but they're either relatively casual or relatively hardcore(Ish?), and that gw2 is really missing that...sort of 'upper/middle class' content loop, so to speak. Or rather, it's been a while since they added one and the current middle class content loops are very stale at this point in time.

At least, this is what I got from your post - and if that is the case, I agree. For me, it feels like my options are either casual stuff, maybe slightly less casual stuff, and then in the middle there's this 'jump' right over to harder stuff with nothing in between - a gap that could be filled with something like housing where players would have a very nice content loop that sees more immediate returns, more options, etc, and what's missing is both that mid level content and a tie-in from other content, such as...why am I running this dungeon/raid/whatever? Well, I have a house that I'm rearranging to try out a new theme and there's an item in this dungeon I want, or some other housing item/material/etc. Housing is a great example - a variety of applications (fashion wars, plus some in game/convenience possibilities to be included in upgrades, could have associated masteries, sub-mechanics, and so on)

That said, this is def an xpac where I got some things I wanted (I've been hoping for something like specter for years - I know other people aren't nearly as pleased, but for me - as a RPer - the espec represents hundreds of hours of content) and some things I didn't (I find fishing 'meh'). 

I really hope Anet has something planned to tie all the bits and pieces of content together, as currently it feels very scattered and inconsistent. Or, it may be that this is just the kind of player(s) they want *shrug*. I'm in a similar boat to you where I'm seeing some things I'm interested in, some things I'm not, etc, but nothing that'll keep me around as a 'main' thing, though perhaps I'm a little better off than you seem to be with your content preferences xD Anyway, hope your rantpost helped, and here's to hoping anet addresses stuff. Also here's to hoping they find out some way to frickn monetize it - GW2 is the one game I play semi-regularly where I WANT to put more money into the game but there's really nothing in their store that interests me. Dammit gimme housing and then fling some fancy chairs on the gem store.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 10:09 PM, Curennos.9307 said:

I'm going to take a guess here - if it's right, great, if not, lmk. Anyway, OP it seems like the gist of what you're saying is that there are gameplay loops - but they're either relatively casual or relatively hardcore(Ish?), and that gw2 is really missing that...sort of 'upper/middle class' content loop, so to speak. Or rather, it's been a while since they added one and the current middle class content loops are very stale at this point in time.

At least, this is what I got from your post - and if that is the case, I agree. For me, it feels like my options are either casual stuff, maybe slightly less casual stuff, and then in the middle there's this 'jump' right over to harder stuff with nothing in between - a gap that could be filled with something like housing where players would have a very nice content loop that sees more immediate returns, more options, etc, and what's missing is both that mid level content and a tie-in from other content, such as...why am I running this dungeon/raid/whatever? Well, I have a house that I'm rearranging to try out a new theme and there's an item in this dungeon I want, or some other housing item/material/etc. Housing is a great example - a variety of applications (fashion wars, plus some in game/convenience possibilities to be included in upgrades, could have associated masteries, sub-mechanics, and so on)

That said, this is def an xpac where I got some things I wanted (I've been hoping for something like specter for years - I know other people aren't nearly as pleased, but for me - as a RPer - the espec represents hundreds of hours of content) and some things I didn't (I find fishing 'meh'). 

I really hope Anet has something planned to tie all the bits and pieces of content together, as currently it feels very scattered and inconsistent. Or, it may be that this is just the kind of player(s) they want *shrug*. I'm in a similar boat to you where I'm seeing some things I'm interested in, some things I'm not, etc, but nothing that'll keep me around as a 'main' thing, though perhaps I'm a little better off than you seem to be with your content preferences xD Anyway, hope your rantpost helped, and here's to hoping anet addresses stuff. Also here's to hoping they find out some way to frickn monetize it - GW2 is the one game I play semi-regularly where I WANT to put more money into the game but there's really nothing in their store that interests me. Dammit gimme housing and then fling some fancy chairs on the gem store.

You've hit the nail it on the head.

My complaints aren't that what's in the expansion aren't going to be fun, but I don't see how it'll help the game in the grander scheme of things. 

My suggestions and whatever are more just me trying to provide ideas instead of just saying 'fix this' But of course you'll always get people that will say it's not possible and too much work. 

For instance a few years ago I made a post asking for co-op mount. Loads of people saying (It'll never work, too much work for Anet and server issues) and with expansion we get the siege turtle. So these people also have no idea what they're talking about. 

I'm happy to see fishing and siege turtle. I think maps will be fun and all that, but again the game doesn't really need more of what it already has. All the LW content and expansions have made the game huge and in my view is that the game doesn't just need more areas to be forgotten.

Short term, the expansion's going to be great, but I'm thinking long-term and I don't think this expansion is really adding anything the game needs. In my head it's been like HoT introduced features, PoF content and EoD should've been the glue that ties the whole experience together to better future proof the game for further development. Of course it's just my opinion I know I'm not alone in feeling a 'meh' about the expansion over all.

I thank you for trying to understand my point of view and not just attacking me for having it. Also adding you're own thoughts on the expansion on what you agree with and don't, instead of just trying to prove me wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I’m disappointed so far with the elite specs, not across the board, but overall they seem unfinished to me. Just my opinion, obviously, but I tested all of them to some extent. They just don’t excite me like the HoT and PoF elites did. I hope that changes come launch.

The turtle also doesn’t excite me. It was fun, okay, but nothing special. Sort of a gimmick, two person mount with cannons is a cool concept, but I think roller beetle racing was a cooler addition to game and it didn’t need to be part of an expansion.

I’m looking forward to fishing and skiffs, interested to see how that develops into something useful for crafting or cooking. Probably connected to the new legendaries in some way.

Other than that, new maps are always cool. New story and characters. New face options. I’m sure some new armor sets will come. New strike missions with probably new and improved rewards. Legendaries look awesome. There’s enough there to make EoD worthwhile for current players. Not sure about bringing back players or attracting new players…

I’d personally prefer to see work go into WvW and PvP over an expansion, GW2 has the best pvp potential of any mmo in my view and could bring in a lot of new players if given some love, but for some reason it’s been mostly ignored.