Idea - Being able to write our own backstories. In-game journal [Merged]

Ultima Online had this back when I played it and I always liked it. A lot of people would use it to summarise the types of content they liked doing, crafting skills they had available etc. (there was nothing like the LFG tool in that game) but others would write an in-universe biography for their characters and I often found those interesting.

Obviously it would need to be moderated, you should be able to report players for inappropriate text the same way you can for character, pet and guild names or offensive things said in chat.

I'd also say it should be something you can edit at any time, not just at the end of character creation. My characters backstories have been updated several times, especially when I was new and still learning how modern Tyria worked, and it would be annoying to be unable to change it.

• Like 8

I think that such a thing is open to either abuse in what people puts into their box and would require alot of constant moderation. Or it opens up people to being abused due to the content they put in their box. For a feature that would be used by a very small number of people for the intended purpose i just don't see the reason to put time and effort into this one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

There's thins thing called notepad.exe and it comes with almost every computer you buy. There are more complex programs to write your fanfic in, but those might cost something so notepad.exe is a great alternative.

Maybe I misunderstood but I assumed this would be something other players could read in-game if they wanted to.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

A role playing add on/overlay using the API that has similar functionality was released just a little while back:

WARP

It adds a rudimentary journal (rudimentary because it's not a full on log, but rather comes with a character sheet for back story and up to four freely customisable slots where you can talk about specific features of the character, important items they might carry at the moment etc.) and it also helps you connect with other users of the add on. If you want, you can just remain "invisible" to other WARP users though.

A forum post about add ons:

Edited by SunRoamer.5103
formatting
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Obviously it would need to be moderated, you should be able to report players for inappropriate text the same way you can for character, pet and guild names or offensive things said in chat.

Please explain how the text for the synopsis of your story progress is visible to other players. To my knowledge, no player is able to see another player's hero panel unless explicitly shared via screenshot.

• Confused 5

2 hours ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

Please explain how the text for the synopsis of your story progress is visible to other players. To my knowledge, no player is able to see another player's hero panel unless explicitly shared via screenshot.

At what point did Danikat say that it could?  The response was to the original suggestion to create an in game journal.  If such a journal were added and was visible to other players, then moderation would be required.

• Like 2

Agreeing with others who say this feature would come down to moderation. I've played a lot of games that had this kind of thing, and while some people used it for its intended purpose, more often it was used it to slam other players, advertise TOS-breaking services, and/or fill it with general unpleasantness hoping that someone else would click them and read.

Considering how incomplete and weird the friend/LFG panel already is, I don't see them sitting down to add a profile feature if they can't fix the stuff they already have. We can't even add notes on other players without having to block or friend them first and even that is a misuse of the intended nickname function. So, profiles? Unlikely, and I'd prefer a rework of the LFG/Friend/Chat system first.

On 12/13/2021 at 2:50 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

Maybe I misunderstood but I assumed this would be something other players could read in-game if they wanted to.

Well of course, sorry. There's this thing called the internet, where many platforms let you drop and share the things you wrote in your notepad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

A feature much like what the OP describes was an integral part of the character panels in LotRO, at least in the first 2+ years or so. Not everyone used it of course, but you could choose whether or not your character(s) were able to be inspected, and if so anyone could read the backstory you'd created. Pretty fun and harmless, at least back then.

Though players could, ah, misbehave in those days, I think the only negative stuff I ever read was just poorly written in one or more ways; sentagraphs were all too common 😬  That said, time, and gamers, march on. Such a feature would likely need a great deal of moderation in today's games.

• Like 2

I would love that. Especially considering how blank the actual character is in the story (I know there are reasons for that, but meh).
All my characters have their own little story, name meaning, etc. and I would find it kinda funny to meet other people in the open world and read their backstory. Of course you should have the option to turn this on/off. Or a simple personal journal would be nice where you could write things down in between without having to leave the game.
Especially the latter is something I have in most games I play, not only RP-ones. So it doesn't seem to be such a big deal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think it would be nice to have in game character text profiles so that other players could learn something about us, and us about them,

Some MMORPGs like Eve-Online and the virtual world Second Life have character profiles where members can describe their character.

In Eve-Online such player profiles make it easier for other players to decide whether to let them join their group or trade with them etc.

In WvW when I join a new squad the commander often asks details about the role I play, but a text profile would make it much easier for them.

For instance my text profile could say:-

I'm FireBrand Support, with Minstrel armor and Durability runes using Staff + Mace-Shield.

I'm also a mouse clicker and fall off cliffs-walls a lot.

I guess there could be problems with moderation and in-appropriate text but other games seem to  cope with that.

Anyhow, just a wish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Forum Moderator.3074 changed the title to Idea - Being able to write our own backstories. In-game journal [Merged]
On 12/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, SirRocket.3516 said:

At the end of character creation why not allow for a text box that lets us write our own backstory?

Or stretching it further having a personal log to take notes etc.  Maybe that's too much, but I think it'd be great 🙂

LOTRO has this, and I had so many LOL moments while inspecting people 🤣