WAYPOINTS

1 minute ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Also it's not something taking up bag space or having to run to a vendor for, unlike permanent gathering tools which replace things that occupy space.  It's not something I would spend gems on.

This hits the nail on the head. The other convenience items sold in the gem store offer a trade off. They don't make economic sense, but they do smooth out an inconvenience in the game.

Much cheaper to buy new gathering tools for a long time than to buy an infinite tool, but always having to keep them in stock is a minor irritation, so people opt for the infinite.

Since WP fees are just quietly deducted from your bank, there's no inconvenience to get around by throwing money at it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Hm, lots of confusion. Maybe the post above mine was clearer, as it did point to the same thing.

Infinite gathering tools and home instance nodes, for example, are priced such that it would take years of in game use for them to "pay for themselves" so to speak.

Apply that to a Waypoint Pass, and if you wanted to simulate it with gems-gold, you'd have to lock up a very large amount of gold for exclusive WP usage in order to get the same effect.

Gathering tools and home instance nodes provide convenience. The cost is more of side effect. For waypoint cost the cost is the only thing it provides.

A more comparable idea for waypoints that is closer to gathering tools would be some sort of personal waypoint gizmo you can place anywhere in the world that you could then use without any additional cost.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jemmi.6058 said:

So.. like... just buy some gems, convert to gold, and then you've got the gold to pay for waypoints purchased with gems - your very own waypoint pass.

This.

Since gems have a gold conversion option the odds of a pass of this sort being even remotely a cheaper option are slim at best. You would pay more gold for such a pass than it would save you in WP cost.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

For starters, GW1 didn't have waypoints. They had ability to fast travel to social hubs scattered around the map. And before you start going on "semantics" direct transition of that system into gw2 would mean free fast travel to the 6 "cities" and nothing more. If we went with going with the spirit of the mechanic and not the letter it would still only mean ability to fast travel to incredibly limited settlements around the map. Meanwhile waypoints hover all over the place without regard to wether area is inhabited or hostile. (With density only getting limited in post-pof content where mounts entered the scene.

I'd add places like Fort Trinity, Ebon Hawke, Camp Resolve amd Amnoon Oasys to that list. But yeah, I agree.

thank u all for adding to the conversation, so i get the general consensus is that's a NO, well as i stated b4 it was just an idea, well worth posting to see how others felt, and i believe ur right, paying the WP fee vs the cost of such a pass , the WP fee isn't that bad at all, and i do believe it helps to keep other costs low for other things to have us pay for WPs

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I dont know how much gold I've spent in WP since I played the game, probably around few thousands if not ten / hundreds of thousands. I would probably be rich by now if Anet "refund" me all the gold spent in WP.

That being said, WP are cheap enough that whatever you do on the map you travel will always refund the cost of using the WP so it's whatever. And we have mounts now. If Anet did not introduce mount into the game, then maybe I would see some potential for a free WP item especially considering how big some maps are but with mount (especially mounts like Griffin and Beattle), you can both travel fast and have fun. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

In all seriousness; People with mounts unlocked still use waypoints beyond the initial jump to a zone?

Yep.  After falling deaths in HoT; after random deaths in PoF; and rarely, after deaths as a result of the occasional under-attended or, more often, abruptly-abandoned triple threat meta.  😁

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

In all seriousness; People with mounts unlocked still use waypoints beyond the initial jump to a zone?

Of course. Even in Path of Fire where the devs have done an exceedingly incompetent job of placing waypoints that is still true. For example if I was somewhere in the Desolation and wanted to go to the southeast corner the fastest way is to waypoint over to Vabbi then walk back into the portal. -_-

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

The only time I use waypoints is during guild missions, so I don't make guildies wait for me. Why would I pay to skip past events and harvesting nodes?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, silent celestial.6438 said:

thank u all for adding to the conversation, so i get the general consensus is that's a NO, well as i stated b4 it was just an idea, well worth posting to see how others felt, and i believe ur right, paying the WP fee vs the cost of such a pass , the WP fee isn't that bad at all, and i do believe it helps to keep other costs low for other things to have us pay for WPs

I appreciate the idea, the discussion has been good, and different ideas are always interesting to consider.  ❤️

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ludovicus.7980 said:

I'd add places like Fort Trinity, Ebon Hawke, Camp Resolve amd Amnoon Oasys to that list. But yeah, I agree.

Well those fell into the part of "if we went by the spirit of mechanic, not exact mechanic. GW1 cities outposts and mission hubs were separate maps dedicated just for that purpose - and Fort Trinity, Ebonhawke, Camp Resolve, and Amnoon City are not their own separate maps 🙂 

For LW 3,4 and 5 destinations I use the Scrolls off course. If I want to waypoint somewhere in Tyria or HoT, I always check my Maguuma and World Boss portal devices to see if anything is up that will waypoint me closer (or even right to my destination). Makes me feel good about these devices and saves me quit a bit of silver since I hop around a lot.  

Also use the Crystal Oasis Home pass and Spearmarshall's Plea to get to the Crystal Desert.

And if I am feeling really cheap, and need to go to Lions Arch, I go through the PvP lobby. 🙂  Also using The Invitation to the Party device when a festival is up.

I am sure I will break even on the gems vs silver ratio somewhere in 2042 😀

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

I use them when I'm doing one of those dailies that is 4 events in a specific zone, when people call out where something is happening.  Or when I'm working on collections/achievements that need you to go to a bunch of different places and I'm in a hurry to get it done.  I use my portals and passes to get around otherwise.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

Depends. In new zones: what waypoints? In old ones: definitely - it's faster and more convenient. Especially if i'm going towards a specific event that is already ongoing - in that case i;d prefer not to have to run on a mount through the whole map to it. It's extremely frustrating on the new, waypointless maps to do so, and see the event finish just at the very second you managed to arrive.

• Like 2