How excited are you for EoD compared to HoT and PoF?

How excited are you for EoD compared to HoT and PoF?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. How excited are you for EoD compared to HoT and PoF?

I am excited.  I love the idea of several expansive new maps, new story, new elites (some of the new elites more than others, heh).  But not on tenterhooks can't wait need it now excited like I was before for HoT (first expansion!  Huge changes!) and PoF (oh wow they did a second expansion with more elites and an awesome desert setting!).

I chalk that up to changes in myself, however.  RP is my driving force behind investment in the game and I've been pulling back from MMO RP -- still get *plenty* of tabletop RP, plus weekly GW2 RP that I don't have to create, I just show up -- and facing ever growing loss of attention span.  Plus I'm older and am patient about most things so I don't get hyped for anything all that easily any more.  It'll come when it comes, I'll enjoy it.  I've got alts set up with enough HP to get the elites as soon as available, assuming ANet hasn't tossed something in to prevent day one access.  So I'm not feeling any time pressure to be ready.  Also I have several other games competing for attention:  Valheim, ESO, some single player things, and now some occasional Last Oasis.

I think another factor is that while I don't object to Asian area settings, they don't intrigue me as much as others since they're so very common when Westerners try to do something "different."  I didn't play GW1 other than some rapid HoM runthroughs chasing after friends who knew exactly where to go, so Cantha holds no nostalgia for me.

And of course nothing really game changing has been announced.  I will probably enjoy skiffs and fishing and building up my hub, and my current RP guild may well be moving to the new hall, but nothing I've seen has been akin to gliding or mounts.  Which doesn't mean there won't be something unexpected and major.  At which point maybe I will get very excited!  Right now though?  Just pleasantly anticipating.

Edited by Donari.5237
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 1/14/2022 at 10:28 PM, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Yes we get it you like FF14 it is the best game of the year, Endwalker is the ultimate DLC that ends all other game, great for you. GW2 main strenght has always been its open world map coupled with the event occuring on the said map. The game keep more or less the same popularity despite the lack of new raid, dungeon or "challenging content" and the dev understands that. 

EoD isnt going to be a big revolution for GW2 but it is going to bring more content, more activities, more specs to mess around with and more stories. So yeah I am looking forward to play EoD. 

lol gw2 does great in open world, not gonna lie, but endless open world meta event farming gets old and does not justify the lack of content in ALL other area, because in the end, open world fights are just spammy braindead content and a big clusterf.

the game keep the same popularity? i doubt, countless people quit through out the years for the lack of content. that's most likely why they even struggle to finish EoD with the current funding they have, let alone 0 normal updates. imagine not having an actual release date when it's almost feb.

Edited by felix.2386
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

I'm less excited. Not so much because of the expansion itself, but because I felt let down with PoF. I think the story quality has greatly improved over the years after PoF was released, but I'm wondering if we are actually getting the right amount and quality of content that we should from an expansion.
By that I mean in comparison, HoT's content was more engaging in comparison to PoF. The maps offered more to do, so there's more reason to come back to them. I personally don't go back to any of the PoF maps unless I HAVE to. So much so that only 1 out of my 9 characters has that story completed. And overall PoF felt way shorter.(they also removed some cutscenes that were significant to the story for reasons I still don't understand)

Having maps that work like Drizzlewood, with not 1 but 2 Metas, and having  boss fights/big events being accessible both publicly and privately like Dragonstorm, would make EoD really fun. Also having instance changing option during your story like the first story instance in Verdant Brink, would make this expansion much more engaging and worth the replay. But, I don't know that ANET will be consistent enough to give us those things as a normal in the expansion itself (as oppose to later during living story), specially the significant player choices which used to be one of the biggest selling points of the game.

2 hours ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

I'm less excited. Not so much because of the expansion itself, but because I felt let down with PoF. I think the story quality has greatly improved over the years after PoF was released, but I'm wondering if we are actually getting the right amount and quality of content that we should from an expansion.
By that I mean in comparison, HoT's content was more engaging in comparison to PoF. The maps offered more to do, so there's more reason to come back to them. I personally don't go back to any of the PoF maps unless I HAVE to. So much so that only 1 out of my 9 characters has that story completed. And overall PoF felt way shorter.(they also removed some cutscenes that were significant to the story for reasons I still don't understand)

Having maps that work like Drizzlewood, with not 1 but 2 Metas, and having  boss fights/big events being accessible both publicly and privately like Dragonstorm, would make EoD really fun. Also having instance changing option during your story like the first story instance in Verdant Brink, would make this expansion much more engaging and worth the replay. But, I don't know that ANET will be consistent enough to give us those things as a normal in the expansion itself (as oppose to later during living story), specially the significant player choices which used to be one of the biggest selling points of the game.

Well they did say with hotthat they were laying the fundation going forward.

Then they relayed the fundations with pof atleast they dident say eod was another fundation laying expac.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I haven't played the beta or look at any of the promotional videos. I think these new maps might be far less 'dangerous', compare to HoT and PoF, since EoD as a standalone expansion, doesn't require the other two to play. You don't need gliders or mounts to navigate through EoD maps, so they should be a lot more "flat" and much easier in terms of exploration, like core Tyria maps, which I'm not very happy about. Difficulty speaking, that makes them somewhere around Orr. But I could be wrong, who knows.

Skiff and fishing sounds like something to chill with friends. Floating on a boat in the middle of nowhere, chilling with guildmates or friends or whatever, fishing and maybe talk a bit, through in-game chat or over voice comm app.

.........but you know what? I don't have friends.

Only two things I care about EoD: for the new elite specializations to be fun, and story to be uhh I don't know what to say about this, not a disappointment? Make more sense?

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Raffrey.5271 said:

I haven't played the beta or look at any of the promotional videos. I think these new maps might be far less 'dangerous', compare to HoT and PoF, since EoD as a standalone expansion, doesn't require the other two to play. You don't need gliders or mounts to navigate through EoD maps, so they should be a lot more "flat" and much easier in terms of exploration, like core Tyria maps, which I'm not very happy about. Difficulty speaking, that makes them somewhere around Orr. But I could be wrong, who knows.

Skiff and fishing sounds like something to chill with friends. Floating on a boat in the middle of nowhere, chilling with guildmates or friends or whatever, fishing and maybe talk a bit, through in-game chat or over voice comm app.

.........but you know what? I don't have friends.

Only two things I care about EoD: for the new elite specializations to be fun, and story to be uhh I don't know what to say about this, not a disappointment? Make more sense?

Umm, End of Dragons is no more and no less a 'stand-alone' expansion than Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire were.  Not sure what you could possibly mean.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Umm, End of Dragons is no more and no less a 'stand-alone' expansion than Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire were.  Not sure what you could possibly mean.

All expansions are standalone, I didn't mean only EoD is. Also, I was wrong. Gliding, raptor and springer will be included in EoD.

I find the idea of fishing as a major feature of an expansion to be underwhelming (to say the least). Skiffs do not seem particularly interesting because of skimmers. I detest the Ranger (my main) elite spec so there is that as well. Hopefully the playable content is top notch because everything else combined has convinced me to stop spending real money on the game for a while.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Anet players "We want an expansion"

Anet "OK, we relent, here you go"

Anet players "Meh, not excited"

Poll results feels more like people being salty

To be fair, wanting an expansion does not mean being happy for anything as long as it is released in expansion form. Saying that I want dinner does not mean that I will be happy eating shellfish (very allergic) so long as it is served at dinner time.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

To be fair, wanting an expansion does not mean being happy for anything as long as it is released in expansion form. Saying that I want dinner does not mean that I will be happy eating shellfish (very allergic) so long as it is served at dinner time.

Sure, but until you can eat that new meal, you don't know if you like it or not. 

So let's just cut to the chase ... some people just not jazzed because Anet did too much reveals. In this case, excitement is scuffed simply by knowing what it will be as well as things people seeing things they don't think they like. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Sure, but until you can eat that new meal, you don't know if you like it or not. 

If it is comprised largely of things that I dislike then it is a pretty safe bet that it will have less appeal for me than meals comprised of ingrediants that I do not dislike. That said, even if the features  (ranger elite spec, skimmers, fishing) are not appealing a good story combined with challenging and varied gameplay will go a  long way. 

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

If it is comprised largely of things that I dislike then it is a pretty safe bet that it will have less appeal for me than meals comprised of ingrediants that I do not dislike.

I wasn't being clear to be fair. Excitement isn't only scuffed because people see things they don't like (which is a valid reason) ... also scuffed because there is no surprise... too much reveals. 

In otherwords, reveals kill hype, not make it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

In otherwords, reveals kill hype, not make it. 

Solid point. Still, hype is not necessarily a good thing. Unrealized hype can be just as bad, or worse, for a product than underhyping. Enough information revealed to allow consumers to make informed decisions about buying is a very good thing IMO. Obviously I would not want the specifics of the story to be spoiled but otherwise I would prefer a full detailed description of all content in a product before buying.

• Like 2

Just now, Ashen.2907 said:

Solid point. Still, hype is not necessarily a good thing. Unrealized hype can be just as bad, or worse, for a product than underhyping. Enough information revealed to allow consumers to make informed decisions about buying is a very good thing IMO. Obviously I would not want the specifics of the story to be spoiled but otherwise I would prefer a full detailed description of all content in a product before buying.

Yeah ... for me, the ONLY thing to look forward to is the story and its content. We got to taste ALL the new mechanics in some way. Feels bad a bit. 

• Confused 2

More excited, but mostly on a technicality...I wasn't playing when the first two expansions came out and went thru both of them years later.

I look forward to starting the new expansion when everyone else does.

Being a mostly solo player tho, I feel like I won't get the most out of the siege turtle since I believe the guns are controlled by the passenger, right?  At least the jet-pack aspect of it is fun.

8 hours ago, felix.2386 said:

the game keep the same popularity? i doubt, countless people quit through out the years for the lack of content. that's most likely why they even struggle to finish EoD with the current funding they have, let alone 0 normal updates. imagine not having an actual release date when it's almost feb.

There are people who leave forever or take a break but there are also new people who join in and (re)discover or just simply enjoy the game. Overall it remains enough to have a steady playerbase. 

As far as the funding goes, I cannot say much I dont have the actual number, but I'll give them some slack considering how cheap they sell the game. Unlike FF14 or many other MMORPG, it doesnt work on a subscription fee and that alone already cut them a lot of money. And that is also why I play GW2, I dont want to be forced to pay every month to play a game (and its DLC) I already have to buy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The leadup to HoT was very exciting. New class, new elite specs, gliding, and Mordremoth seemed threatening. And then we actually got the expansion and it was really fun. Best maps in the game, and the mobs hit hard. The expansion felt dangerous (that said mobs had way too much health so fights too long and it was exhausting). Also cool setpieces in the story.

Wasn't very interested in PoF. I didn't care much for Aurene as a character. I wasn't into the fire dude. I didn't care about purple deathwing. I didn't like the boring desert. Maps weren't interesting like HoT. In retrospect, the Griffin flying was really cool, but we didn't know that there would be a Griffin prior to PoF's release.

Very little about EoD interests me. I know people like to swoon over "CANTHA!" but I actually played Factions. Travelling through a rotting, plague ridden China was cool. But GW2's iteration of Cantha seems to be bland, bright Asian fantasy MMO landscape. GW2's Jade Sea also looks to be incredibly plastic and meh compared to the GW1 Jade Sea. The concept art for the GW2 Kaineg looks to be some bizzare sci fi metropolis that turns me off. EoD has no exciting features going for it. I don't care for any characters in this game except for Rytlock, Canach, and Ryland (RIP). That just leaves the story and the setpieces. I am looking forward to seeing what Bubble's gimmick will be. Probably won't buy at launch and will wait and see if it is actually worth my time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2