The colors! My eyes!

What is wrong with colors in EoD? 
The colors are over-saturated, way too strong/bright and hard to look at. 
Every zone preview so far has shown us insanely saturated colors.
From Shing Jea's foliage to Kaineng City, I won't even mention how bad the Jade Sea green looks.

I get it some people don't mind this, but I have a hard time bearing this. It gives me headache and sore eyes.
Same issue as with Season 3 zones. Bloodstone Fen, Draconis Mons, Ember Bay...these zones have some of the worst colors ever and I avoid them like plague when I can.

I understand the need to want to show us how exotic and lush Cantha is, but there are better ways to do so than by saturating colors.
Just look at color palette from GW1 Jade Sea and ALL of the Luxon zones. Look at Shing Jea island from GW1. It had serene, calm wonderful atmosphere and you could just sit there and enjoy without getting a headache.

I can't judge yet since the game is not out, but I do feel I can post my opinion based on the videos that have been shown.
Please, at least allow us to control saturation within the game, a slider perhaps? 

Thanks.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Blur.3465 said:

I understand the need to want to show us how exotic and lush Cantha is, but there are better ways to do so than by saturating colors.

I mean, yeah. The most recent promo video has radioactive light source trees in the town square because ambient light wasn't taken into account. Worse, it looked like footage taken in-game, not cinematic. Color balance and lighting errors in particular have plagued GW2 for a long time. There are definitely nicely-balanced maps where these things are handled properly, but when it's goofed, it's very goofed. It's possible they may address some of this by the time EoD comes out, but the promos are what people are looking at right now.

I've seen ArenaNet make some truly beautiful places, and that's why I've been so disappointed by what we're getting in these videos.

1 hour ago, Blur.3465 said:

Please, at least allow us to control saturation within the game, a slider perhaps? 

Now this seems like a good compromise. People who are cool with the current palette can keep it, and others can adjust to their satisfaction. Win-win.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

Oversaturation is fine, unbalanced saturation is not.  EoD is certainly in need of color balance.  Honestly, they need to own it with the bright green jade if they're going to run with it.  Scrap all these middling colors and light the zone up like a lamp.

Edited by Borked.6824
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

21 hours ago, Blur.3465 said:

I get it some people don't mind this, but I have a hard time bearing this. It gives me headache and sore eyes.
Same issue as with Season 3 zones. Bloodstone Fen, Draconis Mons, Ember Bay...these zones have some of the worst colors ever and I avoid them like plague when I can.

It's not like i wouldn't care about the Designs.

Ironically, in my mind Draconis Mons and Ember Bay are truely two of the most beautiful maps in the entire game.

And i personaly loved allot about the map trailers from EoD.

You simply can't please everyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

Ironically, in my mind Draconis Mons and Ember Bay are truely two of the most beautiful maps in the entire game.

And i personaly loved allot about the map trailers from EoD.

Oh maps in general are beautiful. No complaints about that 🙂
I love GW2 zones and I believe the team is nailing it on that behalf.
The colors are the problem here though, not the zone design.
Over-saturated colors in some zones from the past and EoD maps (from trailers) are looking super saturated with colors.

Just compare Jade Sea from Fractal dungeon, Jade Sea from GW1...and Jade Sea in EoD 😬

Shing Jea nature/foliage from GW1, it perfectly described how lush and serene the whole place was.
Then compare it to EoD colors which are a little over the top and foliage looks like...radioactive or something?

Here's some comparison.

GW1 Shing Jea:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gwwikia/images/6/6f/Monastery_Overlook.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090723003550

GW2 Shing Jea:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IFZDR2s2gYs/maxresdefault.jpg

GW1 Jade Sea:
https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/d/dd/Archipelagos.jpg

GW2 Jade Sea:
https://preview.redd.it/5z4bttikv6081.jpg?width=1889&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=edd812b578f105307112850e1a4008f03cc198be

Edited by Blur.3465
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

I believe I can.. make do with the radioactive green jade. I believe in this case, the color is indicative of threat, if so the color is appropriate.

I am -Not- okay with the saturated green used with vegetation though. Most plants look like they're made from plastic.

In technical terms : The Mesh is well defined, the Texture is fine, the Tint is just offputting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Borked.6824 said:

Oversaturation is fine, unbalanced saturation is not.  EoD is certainly in need of color balance.  Honestly, they need to own it with the bright green jade if they're going to run with it.  Scrap all these middling colors and light the zone up like a lamp.

you know they saying, the c in arenanet stands for consistency.

but hey, its not like we got jade ingame for years. and i kinda like the candy, all that candycorn finaly paid of.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

• 1 month later...

I have only come back to the game after a very long break and was excited to get into EoD.  Very sadly I don't think I can do it, because of the overly saturated and overly contrasting colours.  Even the amount of different colours that are tossed at every scenery make it so my head pounds after 15 minutes.  It seems as though this expansion is hell bent on assaulting all of our senses.  Even the horrible screechy squeeky voices & all the boom boom.  Ugh.  So disappointing.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1