Mesmer portals

Recently I have seen mesmers placing portals near daily jumping puzzles to port people to random faraway spots instead of the end chest. I’ve also seen incidents where portals are placed on top of NPC for marionette and dragonstorm, as well as reward chests from meta events, to port others away from these objects. If you aren’t quick enough to retake the portal then it’s a pain to run back to the NPC/chest.

So I’m curious if those actions violate any rule of this game. If so, under which category should one report those transgressions? I don’t think this is “scamming” though. Does it count as “harassing?”

Also, how do I counter those dupe portal? Is there any setting that allow you to prioritize the NPC/chest over portal when pressing the interaction button?

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

On 2/4/2022 at 3:04 AM, Eaglebach.7593 said:

Also, how do I counter those dupe portal? Is there any setting that allow you to prioritize the NPC/chest over portal when pressing the interaction button?

Advanced Logistics (Pact Commander Mastery, Tier 5) This does no longer require you to press any buttons to loot objects (chests/corpses). The instant they become interactable, you loot them automatically. 

So I’m curious if those actions violate any rule of this game. If so, under which category should one report those transgressions? I don’t think this is “scamming” though. Does it count as “harassing?”

Portals for JP chests and shortcuts are not considered exploits. They are intended to work that way. Some people have problems with this, but the vast majority of the community is happy about this feature.

Regarding the trolls, there is an option in the shortcuts (options=>controls) to select next target. If you use that, you can select a specific object before pressing F, which prevents getting trolled in most cases. 

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 5

22 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Advanced Logistics (Pact Commander Mastery, Tier 5) This does no longer require you to press any buttons to loot objects (chests/corpses). The instant they become interactable, you loot them automatically. 

This is true most of the time.  There are some few chests that you still have to remember to manually open.  For example, the boss chests in the Mad King's Labyrinth.  But usually it's so automatic you can't even be sure what mobs dropped what by the time you check your bags.

As to the mesmer portals, yes, it can be very annoying when they are abused.  And you often can't tell who dropped the portal so reporting under any category isn't possible.  However, I have found I almost never take a bad portal.  After a while you get a sense for which ones are legit.  If a portal's obscuring something you want to interact with, it helps to have a keybind for Next (Ally?  Object? I set it so long ago I forget what the specific term is).  Then you tap that until the item shows up as your target, then safely press F.  Or just wait a couple of seconds, the portal dies out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

One option is to just wait for the portal to disappear. They don't last long and the cooldown on the skill is much longer than the portal sticks around so even if they wanted to they won't be able to set another one up right away.

Another solution is to teach yourself to look at what the interact prompt says and what object you've got selected before pushing the button. Mesmer portals specifically say 'Use Portal' I can't remember for the thief and necromancer ones but I think they're similar. They're also not objects you can select, so you should be able to click on a chest even if there's a portal on it, or you can use the keybinding to select a different target.

7 hours ago, Eaglebach.7593 said:

Recently I have seen mesmers placing portals near daily jumping puzzles to port people to random faraway spots instead of the end chest.

Are these portals you enter from outside the puzzle, which then take you even further away from it than you were? Or portals on top of the end chest which drop you outside the puzzle?

If it's the second one then it's probably not trolling - the portal is intended to get people into the puzzle and either there's not much space at the end so they can't put it away from the chest or they didn't think about how close they were because they were in a hurry to set the portal. The fact that mesmer portals go both ways is an unfortunate side effect in this case.

If it's the first one then that does sound like someone trolling players looking for a portal through the puzzle. One option is to wait and see what other people say and how they react after taking the portal, and if necessary get the next one. Probably a better approach is to look for mesmers using mentor or commander tags to mark their portals - then you'll be able to see where the portal goes when they set it up because the tag will move. On EU you can also look for trusted guilds like [PINK] who provide this service (and won't troll people because they have a reputation to protect). But I'm not sure if NA has any guilds like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Eaglebach.7593 said:

There is no real answer to this.
Mesmer portals work two ways (this works as intended). This means that the intention of the mesmer might very well be to portal people to the chest. That others are portalled away is a side effect not intended.

The legal documents (code of conduct, rule one) states: 

While using our Services, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to use and enjoy the Services.

This works two ways. So when a mesmer creates a portal with good intentions and you report them, you are violating their right to use and enjoy the game. When a mesmer creates a portal with the intention to troll, it violates your right to enjoy the service.

The severity is also an important factor. If this happens once in a while it is not an issue. If someone does this over and over and over with the sole purpose to troll, it is another thing.

The judgement here is with support.

My advice:
Do not over react. Be patient. this can happen
If it goes out of hand and happens over and over and over again, go ahead and report the situation.
I believe the best way in this case is to take screenshots with time and date of each and every time it happens and then report using the submit a ticket option on this website. It gives more room for explaination. You can offer an extended report with screenshots and occasions and explain how it really bothers you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

First tipp: Don't write in the map chat "uh oh, bAd Mesmer troll, mimi"

This is excatly what this people want ^^.

Yes it's annoying, but also really easy to counter. As other said, mesmer-portals don't last long. You can also bound a key to swap between targets. And if you use such a portal, just port to the next waypoint and run again. People are annoying but you should not let this spoil your mood :). Just try to laugh about it and imagine how much effort the Mesmer spent to place a portal somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
He wasted much more time than you :).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amnariel.3659 said:

The only issue I found with this thing is that mesmers using portals to end chest for gold gets banned while mesmers using portals to troll and annoy people just get's away,I always loved this type of approach.

Never heard of a mes getting banned for porting to JP end chests. I have used them numerous time both with my mes as well as using using  portals with my other toons for years with no issue.  As for the trolls,  they use vendors, merchants and just about anything they can place over rewards, etc. to get a reaction.  Anet could fix them.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:28 PM, Blude.6812 said:

Never heard of a mes getting banned for porting to JP end chests. I have used them numerous time both with my mes as well as using using  portals with my other toons for years with no issue.  As for the trolls,  they use vendors, merchants and just about anything they can place over rewards, etc. to get a reaction.  Anet could fix them.

1)Those who love that Confused reaction in every topic on everything they don't like be kind and ask what is hard to understand in any opinion instead of giving confused to anything you are not agree with and maybe many point of views could be cleared.

2) I got banned on my first account pre-hot because of this,indeed I got lots of gold from this way of portal use ,my friend with who I was playing got a ban too for this ...my second account was banned for the other gold farming way in Ascalon Catacombs with thief ,that maybe was legit but anyway since multiboxing/multi accounting is tolerated and lately they live in relative peace, trolling and being a **** with others is acceptable too from Anet's point of view.

Don't get me wong,if Anet is ok with this then be it just not fair that some gets banned while others are just lucky,anyway we won't change the world here, on forums, just hoping that someone who can do something will read it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Amnariel.3659 said:

1)Those who love that Confused reaction in every topic on everything they don't like be kind and ask what is hard to understand in any opinion instead of giving confused to anything you are not agree with and maybe many point of views could be cleared.

2) I got banned on my first account pre-hot because of this,indeed I got lots of gold from this way of portal use ,my friend with who I was playing got a ban too for this ...my second account was banned for the other gold farming way in Ascalon Catacombs with thief ,that maybe was legit but anyway since multiboxing/multi accounting is tolerated and lately they live in relative peace, trolling and being a **** with others is acceptable too from Anet's point of view.

Don't get me wong,if Anet is ok with this then be it just not fair that some gets banned while others are just lucky,anyway we won't change the world here, on forums, just hoping that someone who can do something will read it.

Yes this is what you say happened people rarely tell the whole truth something the devs was really good with exposing on gw1 I hear less so on gw2 sadly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 2:36 PM, Blude.6812 said:

Over reaction to a mechanic of the game that one doesn't understand yet.  As for the trolls that place stuff (chests, vendors, portals) over items that others are trying to access is something that Anet is aware of but has failed to address.

Because it's a non-issue.

"oh no, the chest i tried to loot has a portal on it that's sent me a 5 second walk away from where i was!"

Oh the humanity! Anet NEEDS to address this!!

On 2/4/2022 at 3:10 AM, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

This does not work for any of the tons of chests in Tarir of Tangled Depths, which is why portal trolls can always be found in those locations for the meta.

Recently I have seen mesmers placing portals near daily jumping puzzles to port people to random faraway spots instead of the end chest. I’ve also seen incidents where portals are placed on top of NPC for marionette and dragonstorm, as well as reward chests from meta events, to port others away from these objects. If you aren’t quick enough to retake the portal then it’s a pain to run back to the NPC/chest.

Unfortunately, nowadays everyone can place such portals, not only Mesmers - and often it's not a Mesmer portal that is used for trolling.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/4/2022 at 3:38 AM, Donari.5237 said:

This is true most of the time.  There are some few chests that you still have to remember to manually open.  For example, the boss chests in the Mad King's Labyrinth.  But usually it's so automatic you can't even be sure what mobs dropped what by the time you check your bags.

As to the mesmer portals, yes, it can be very annoying when they are abused.  And you often can't tell who dropped the portal so reporting under any category isn't possible.  However, I have found I almost never take a bad portal.  After a while you get a sense for which ones are legit.  If a portal's obscuring something you want to interact with, it helps to have a keybind for Next (Ally?  Object? I set it so long ago I forget what the specific term is).  Then you tap that until the item shows up as your target, then safely press F.  Or just wait a couple of seconds, the portal dies out.

@Eaglebach.7593

It does help also to use Right click on Interact (tick it to set it active) after you have toggled out of Action Camera mode, that way you can pick the correct item to interact with (chest) or NPC. It will give you more control to see what you interact with (as it will show a text description and which keybind that is set for interacting with that item/NPC, before you click with right mouse button to interact with it).

OP don't forget when you have unlocked and activated Pact Commander mastery that you also need to activate how autoloot work with one of the radio buttons for Autoloot in Options as that isn't being automatically set to activate when you get Pact Commander. See link to Options from GW2 wiki down in end of this post.

When this is set active you will loot everything that is in range of an AoE from your character including most Chest rewards from bosses (you should see a Chest icon in the right lower corner of your screen when you get some boss or event rewards).

Right-Click to Attack/Interact — Allows you to interact with foes, NPCs, and objects by right-clicking on them.

• You must be within range of the target to interact successfully; i.e., you must be within your weapon's range to attack a foe, and you must be standing next to an NPC to open their dialogue window.

Check that you have all Autoloot check boxes set up correctly when you have unlocked Pact Commander Mastery to enable autoloot.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:00 PM, LSD.4673 said:

Because it's a non-issue.

"oh no, the chest i tried to loot has a portal on it that's sent me a 5 second walk away from where i was!"

Oh the humanity! Anet NEEDS to address this!!

This is the case most of the time, but more and more commonly Mesmers are finding places to port people that are impossible to escape and far from a waypoint. An example is into walls, or into one of the boss rooms at Drakkar. In that particular case, if you don't have Roller Beetle, the chests are gone by the time you get back.

In that case I'd say its definitely griefing, and against the ToS.

Btw, some people in this thread seem confused. The OP wasn't talking about the usual trolling of placing portals on chests, they're talking about the new trend of Mesmers pretending to port players across JPs and other difficult tasks they're famous for helping with (a shining light of this community), but instead porting them away.

Like if you go for the daily JP and someone places a portal, and it iinstead goes to the nearby underwater champion shark. Again, this has shades of griefing, as its not just a trick, but intentionally trying to hurt players.

Remember that harming other players is against the rules in PvE, even if its funny, and "their fault".

Edited by Hannelore.8153

2 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

This is the case most of the time, but more and more commonly Mesmers are finding places to port people that are impossible to escape and far from a waypoint. An example is into walls, or into one of the boss rooms at Drakkar. In that particular case, if you don't have Roller Beetle, the chests are gone by the time you get back.

In that case I'd say its definitely griefing, and against the ToS.

Btw, some people in this thread seem confused. The OP wasn't talking about the usual trolling of placing portals on chests, they're talking about the new trend of Mesmers pretending to port players across JPs and other difficult tasks they're famous for helping with (a shining light of this community), but instead porting them away.

Like if you go for the daily JP and someone places a portal, and it iinstead goes to the nearby underwater champion shark. Again, this has shades of griefing, as its not just a trick, but intentionally trying to hurt players.

Remember that harming other players is against the rules in PvE, even if its funny, and "their fault".

Also i think it gives a nice light for a newbee.

"Hey want help with this? i can port you :)"
Newbee: "Oh wow, thank you, i heard that this community is really nice~"
*Get ported to a dangerous place*

But what can you do? I don't think, most mesmer who doe this, will advertise this directly as Help. So whitout names or anything, i don't have any idea how anet should adress this whitout ruining the mesmer even more.
Its way less work, just to use the waypoint and try again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1