Progressing the main story blocked by a jumping puzzle?

Sorry for the rant but I loathe doing the jumping puzzles in this game.  While some players may enjoy doing them, all they do is cause me frustration.  Having to do a JP on a raptor mount makes it even more frustrating.   I've wasted 30 minutes now trying to complete this JP just so I can do the story quest.  Absolutely horrible game design.  JP's should be optional and give achievements and rewards to the players who choose to do them.  They should never be mandatory for the story.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I totally agree. I am disabled and have nerve damage to my hands. As much as I wish I could do jumping puzzles, I physically can't.

When they put jumping puzzles in the story-line. The Kralkatorik jumping puzzle with the raptor - I tried days and days on end.

I was only able to finish that story after I got the skyscale.

• Like 9

I love jumping puzzles, and hard same.

Some people don't have good ping. Some people don't have the physical coordination, or the eyesight, reflexes, healthy limbs, etc!  Mesmer portals can only do so much when it's required for the story and not a daily that lots of people will be doing at once. 

• Like 7

Jumping puzzles have no place in the game, outside of instances dedicated to them. Imagine forcing someone to do PvP in order to finish the story. The difference is, you can just faceroll through PvP and sooner or later you will win a match, maybe even get something fun from the reward track, while jumping puzzles are just annoying and rewards for them are abysmal. If i wanted to play such stuff, I would go play some Facebook flash arcade game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

You have to deliver three canisters of pressurized steam to three different points. They're too heavy to carry (have they met a norn?), and therefore you need to use a raptor to carry them. And they're on the second story or higher of some buildings. And worse, if you get off the raptor for ANY reason, you lose the canisters and it resets. There's more than three possible locations, too, so don't assume you can get an easy guide to where you need to go, it picks them at random.

It's awful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Get off your raptor and then pick the boxes up again to deliver and keep doing it until the quest markers are in easier places. 

They move every time to remount and collect them which makes it easier 🙂

Hope this helps

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It is an introduction to players who have not used a raptor before.  So you need to run around a little and get used to the raptors jumping. 

It feels like you have to do this with a raptor, but you can do this without, by just finding spots you can run up to the top and just walk to the AC units on the roof.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'm not good at JP's either, but I didn't have any problems with this part of the story, just go to the one that's easy to reach, Then get off your mount, like mgee said, run back to the boxes, pick them up again with your raptor and go back to the same location. This worked for me last night. (not sure if it was a bug, if so it might not work anymore like that)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mystflower.7319 said:

I'm not good at JP's either, but I didn't have any problems with this part of the story, just go to the one that's easy to reach, Then get off your mount, like mgee said, run back to the boxes, pick them up again with your raptor and go back to the same location. This worked for me last night. (not sure if it was a bug, if so it might not work anymore like that)

It does work, I did it a few hours ago 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palador.2170 said:

You have to deliver three canisters of pressurized steam to three different points. They're too heavy to carry (have they met a norn?), and therefore you need to use a raptor to carry them. And they're on the second story or higher of some buildings. And worse, if you get off the raptor for ANY reason, you lose the canisters and it resets. There's more than three possible locations, too, so don't assume you can get an easy guide to where you need to go, it picks them at random.

It's awful.

That’s hardly a JP though. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

That’s hardly a JP though. 

It's possible that I had bad luck, and got only bad points to deliver to. Or that I found the worst possible path there. I had to jump from platform to platform, and they were spaced for a non-mastered raptor. My canyon jumping raptor wanted to overshoot a lot.

If you can just deliver one easy one, then keep resetting and NOT lose track of how many you've delivered, though? That does change things and make it a lot more reasonable. But you have to know you can do that.

• Like 2

With the overshooting it helps to just tap the jump bar very, very briefly. Also, don't feel you have to go in a rush. Take your time between leaps. It doesn't seem to time out. 

Though I managed to do it in a few minutes I had a bit of a struggle with this one myself. I get easily motion sick and there is a lot of games I can't play because of that. I am mostly good with motion in GW2, but after a few raptor zooms forward and I felt pretty queasy and needed to take a break for bit. 

Sympathy to all who are struggling with it. Just take breaks and do some other fun things. There is a lot of wonderful exploring to do in Kaineng. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rescorla.9301 said:

Sorry for the rant but I loathe doing the jumping puzzles in this game.  While some players may enjoy doing them, all they do is cause me frustration.  Having to do a JP on a raptor mount makes it even more frustrating.   I've wasted 30 minutes now trying to complete this JP just so I can do the story quest.  Absolutely horrible game design.  JP's should be optional and give achievements and rewards to the players who choose to do them.  They should never be mandatory for the story.

I don't mind jumping puzzles but springing across roof tops on a raptor or pounding clumps of whatever that crap was on a springer definitely felt like it didn't really have a place as a main story beat. 

I feel like a lot of these were just events some dev spent a lot of time on and they banned together and were like, YEAH LET'S MAKE EVERYONE DO THIS. 

And then we have a story that many people will never want to repeat because they're either having to do frustrating mind puzzles, jumping puzzles, or just feel like they're being micro-managed. Definitely not a fan of the first few acts. It gets better later towards the end at least. I just wish there had been more time with particular characters and aspects of the story over jade tech squabble. 

Sitting at the table eating sushi was surprisingly cathartic though. And made me so hungry...

• Like 2

This part (in New Kaineng) felt really forced. The devs were really reaching for a way to include a mount in the story even if it was this tiny part that makes no difference if you did it or not. Better would have been to include choices instead of railroad of linear quests that force you to use the raptor on what is similar to a JP.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Debesyla.7102 said:

It's jumping, but is it really a puzzle?

Are any of the jumping puzzles really puzzles?  No.  But that is what they are called. 😎

17 minutes ago, dusanyu.4057 said:

Worse was the memory puzzles to repair power panels As someone with a Short term memory issue from my time in the military these were the worst took me about 4 hours to get passed that Story step

The 'Simon' puzzles, like repeat the lights?  Have you tried making quick notes on a piece of paper? The longest I had was 3 lights, so it would be easy to write down if you need to.  (same thing to repair skiffs)

Really disliked that story step. And I guess for people with no own raptor yet (new players only buying EoD) - it might be more annoying. I think they wanted you to not skyscale everything and use normal movement to explore different ways ... as well.

Still it is possible to do it: You can only do 1 by 1 - does not need to deliver 3 in one go. And  sometimes the easier locations get marked nearby. Hardest for me was actually to find a way.  Hate this Kaineng as much as I hated the old one in GW1 lol. Vertical setup is annoying.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

Are any of the jumping puzzles really puzzles?  No.  But that is what they are called. 😎

The 'Simon' puzzles, like repeat the lights?  Have you tried making quick notes on a piece of paper? The longest I had was 3 lights, so it would be easy to write down if you need to.  (same thing to repair skiffs)

I found Chalice of Tears rather puzzling (jokes).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Really disliked that story step. And I guess for people with no own raptor yet (new players only buying EoD) - it might be more annoying. I think they wanted you to not skyscale everything and use normal movement to explore different ways ... as well.

Still it is possible to do it: You can only do 1 by 1 - does not need to deliver 3 in one go. And  sometimes the easier locations get marked nearby. Hardest for me was actually to find a way.  Hate this Kaineng as much as I hated the old one in GW1 lol. Vertical setup is annoying.

I love how you say "new players" when addressing this issue ...

You know while completely pretending new players in EoD aren't directed very early to get a raptor.
Quality Fake News.

So lets see now:
Anet can't put a raptor jumping sequence in the game because there is some fictional player out there who can't get one.
Anet can't balance their runes because there are fictional disabled people who aparently needed them to complete basic content.
Anet can't put a memory puzzle in the game because there are pretend people who struggle to recall three basic shapes and colors.

I'm wonder what kind of game the people arguing on behalf if pretend people are asking for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3