Enter New Kaineng City ... and it's all about complain ... [Merged]

Oh it is not talking about the story scene, and yes, it is all about complain, please return to the last page if you don't like it 😉

First of all, New Kaineng is a pointless super large with multi of multi layer extreme complicated city to me

and it is much worse then TD

Second, it is about the raptor taxi, and the teleporter

I love the raptor taxi, it is super fun (it also make GW2 looks like some mobile game though ...)

but suppose I should remember all the names of the maps ... with a super long list like those teleporters

or please open the map for me and just let me click on where I want to go (oh, it will make the teleporter just like WP, I know)

And last for now, please make the zip line keep sending the beacons to their end point?

I really don't know where the zip line goes if I missed the one and only one beacon, or it has has visually blocked by the environment objects

Edited by Alik.9651
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

To be fair, it's still much better than exploring old Kaening. That was a mess. 

This is off-topic but I feel like the jade bot interaction devices littering all the maps was a bit immersion breaking. I mean jade bots are for the wealthy in Kaening so why are there 101 zip lines chilling out on random roots in Echovald?  lol 

I haven't even had a chance to look at old Kaening ruins yet. *sigh*

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I agree. Kaineng City is definitely the worst map in the game (both aestetically and layout wise). And here I thought nothing can be worse than Tangled depths.

Honestly after playing EoD, I fail to understand why everyone was so hyped about Cantha. For me the whole expac is a massive disappointement.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

I agree. Kaineng City is definitely the worst map in the game (both aestetically and layout wise). And here I thought nothing can be worse than Tangled depths.

Honestly after playing EoD, I fail to understand why everyone was so hyped about Cantha. For me the whole expac is a massive disappointement.

Turns out, it was actually over hyped. Which is kind of a disappointment cause I can see people going back to Lost Ark and other new games/ other releases pretty fast. Honestly, it'd be better to wait to release and fix up the E-specs at least first (and make sure the giant time consuming meta's are actually possible) then release it now when they have. At least we could have had 9 fun E-specs.... 

Honestly I miss maps like LW3 maps, that bloodstone map with the gliding was epic and great fun and how you could buff yourself. Skiffs are as expected rather useless thanks to mounts and the maps feel empty. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

2 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Turns out, it was actually over hyped. [...]

I really disagree with you two: to me, this is the best GW2 has ever delivered story- and map-wise. The quality of writing is excellent, the twists and turns, the humor - I can't wait to finish the story.

And exploration, for the first time, feels like a true adventure. The maps are so much fun to explore. They are diverse and complex with so much to discover. I take it none of you took the time to really explore every corner, read all the journals lying around, listen to the NPCs standing around, talking, doing smaller events, doing achievements along the way, and what not?

No other GW2 content has ever been this immersive. This is the first time in the history of the game where GW2 really deserves being called an MMORPG - I feel fully immersed in the world while playing.

Also, I love the reward system for story missions, small events, etc. You can now unlock most stuff by simply playing the game, not via Gem Store.

Haven't participated in meta events and strike missions yet, but will once I have finished the story.

And speaking of story: the missions are fabulous, they show so much innovation, things you could not have imagined before, a truly new design philosophy (e.g., jumping between airships, guiding your jade bot into small spaces to eliminate vermin).

I am having a blast with this expansion so far (just arrived in Arborstone), despite the fact that I am not a fan of the jade tech aesthetics nor the fact that we do have this much tech in Cantha.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

I do think it is too spread out, and too many layers.  Kind of a jumbled mess to navigate... but... it is light years ahead of Kainang City in GW.  That was just an unsightly mess. I end up using the raptor taxis more than I thought I would, just because it takes the work out of going up and down 8 million staircases, and their raptors know their way around much than I do! ha ha 😎

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The  main complaint I have is about the teleporters. Either they need to be uncoupled from the power grid since the jade bot is providing a charge to them, or no charge should be needed for travel and it's only possible to use them when they're connected to the grid.

Also, mark on the where the teleporters are when they're online, right now they're only marked when they're offline.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Alik.9651 said:

but suppose I should remember all the names of the maps ... with a super long list like those teleporters

or please open the map for me and just let me click on where I want to go (oh, it will make the teleporter just like WP, I know)

And last for now, please make the zip line keep sending the beacons to their end point?

+1. New travel systems are a mess.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I really disagree with you two: to me, this is the best GW2 has ever delivered story- and map-wise. The quality of writing is excellent, the twists and turns, the humor - I can't wait to finish the story.

And exploration, for the first time, feels like a true adventure. The maps are so much fun to explore. They are diverse and complex with so much to discover. I take it none of you took the time to really explore every corner, read all the journals lying around, listen to the NPCs standing around, talking, doing smaller events, doing achievements along the way, and what not?

No other GW2 content has ever been this immersive. This is the first time in the history of the game where GW2 really deserves being called an MMORPG - I feel fully immersed in the world while playing.

Also, I love the reward system for story missions, small events, etc. You can now unlock most stuff by simply playing the game, not via Gem Store.

Haven't participated in meta events and strike missions yet, but will once I have finished the story.

And speaking of story: the missions are fabulous, they show so much innovation, things you could not have imagined before, a truly new design philosophy (e.g., jumping between airships, guiding your jade bot into small spaces to eliminate vermin).

I am having a blast with this expansion so far (just arrived in Arborstone), despite the fact that I am not a fan of the jade tech aesthetics nor the fact that we do have this much tech in Cantha.

You can disagree all you like, its not like any of us has the facts to back up any claims. Whether you like it or not. It feels successful but at the same time empty, Already seen players who have played since launch now quit with this release. There is facts on both sides and we have no idea on the factual numbers, still too early anyway for true evidence. 

Update that soured people on launch leaving a bad taste.
Not the best map design,
Failed final meta that managed to be designed in a bad way after all the time they had and right now is impossible even with meta builds and voice chat, making the items dropped so rare they sell right now for 200 gold. 
Too much politics in the story, any scene without Majory or Kasmeer is a better scene - they both would be fine if they didn't shove it down your throat with every scene they are in together. Too many uses of They. 

If they didn't do those 4 things then yes I'd agree this was their best launch. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

I am absolutely loving the expansion so far. I'm just about to enter Arborstone and have only found one thing wrong in the first map - a hero point I couldn't get due to a bug but I'm sure they'll fix it if not already.

I haven't died a lot and the scenery is gorgeous. The textures on the dragons are amazing, not to mention the stained glass and tilework.

I love fishing and can't wait to get back into some of the original zones to fish!

Great expansion - loving every minute so far. I add the so far because I've only completed two zones and don't know what's coming ahead but if it's like the first two maps, I'll love it. The story, the graphics, everything is beautiful.

Thanks for some more wonderful memories, Anet. Good job!

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

11 hours ago, Chrysaliss.8720 said:

Cantha was one of the best parts of GW1. I'm reluctant to even call the EoD continent Cantha because it doesn't really have much to do with Cantha. Hence why the hype is followed by a massive letdown.

• Like 9
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

You can disagree all you like, its not like any of us has the facts to back up any claims.

Well, yeah - launch was on a Monday, so I doubt there will be any accurate numbers until after the weekend (most players don't have time to game on workdays).

As for the supposed emptiness:

• First of, the rich number of ambient NPCs and dialogue makes it feel anything but empty.
  • If you define "emptiness" by the lack of simultaneous players in the same instance of a map, all I can say is: thank the Six the maps are not swarmed like that! I can finally immerse without tons of other players blocking the NPCs (e.g., merchant) I am current talking to.
  • Also, the visual noise of players with blink-blink characters has been signigicantly toned down this way, so that's always a good thing. 😉
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

On 3/2/2022 at 8:29 PM, Maria Murtor.7253 said:

If you despise exploring Tangled Depths you will absolutely hate exploring Arborstone.

I don't understand this comparison. TD has 3 layers on the map, Echovald has one layer. There's no massive layers of caves on top of caves. Echovald is one of my favourite maps possibly in the entire game. It has an awesome atmosphere and it's very fun to traverse, unlike TD where I get lost and can't figure out how to just.. get up. 
New Kianeng City is also a pretty fun map. I love that they use synthesiser for the resource nodes. and it really feels like a big city.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/2/2022 at 12:16 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Hmmm... I have a different experience. Because the word "MMORPG" includes "MMO". With the exception of the Dragons End final meta battle the EoD maps feel empty and more like a single player game.  Even several group events feel more like single player events and can be done without a group.

In HoT, on the other hand, before it was nerved, you had to stick together with other players and help each other. It was a dangerous jungle out there. This kind of cooperative playing in the open world was, for me, what I liked a lot in GW2 years ago before all the expansions. I had this feeling first in Core, in HoT a lot, less in PoF, but not really in EoD.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, piitb.7635 said:

I am just patiently waiting for the complaint that you can't complete the story/heart vendor without having a raptor.

Here I am! Though, not a complaint really so much as a mild disappointment. A friend and I made a soft goal to try and go mountless through this expansion to see if it would affect our experience for the better. Having it required wasn't a gamebreaker, but it was a bummer (same with the Jade Bot being required to progress the story despite being told repeatedly it was optional). By the time we hit Echovald, we gave up completely and switched to Skyscale. EoD was absolutely designed with the intention of having players use their mounts.

1 hour ago, Dayra.7405 said:

I wonder, how it would be without skyscale, maybe I would hate it.

Probably, yes. I thought there would be more sights to see or buildings to explore if I went around on foot - there were not. You actually get more out of swimming in the canals than looking at the city itself in my experience, and getting from place to place quickly was quite annoying without mounts/boats. Ziplines would feel a lot more fluid if you could jump from them without having to click 'dismount' mid-ride.

I have lots of thoughts about EoD as a whole, but narrowing in on Kaineng, here's where I'm at:
- Bad Aesthetics: I thought a lot of the architecture clashed, didn't like the colors on a lot of the props, was disappointed to see that even the noodle stands are powered by jade for some reason. The whole place felt like a cold concrete box and I didn't see anywhere I'd want to hang out.
- Too Clean: I felt the rich and poor sections of the city looked virtually identical. I found one gritty, poorly-lit tunnel, but for the most part all of Kaineng seemed to be on the up and up and peasants were wearing clothing as fine as that of the top tiers of society.
- Old Kaineng?: Didn't get Kaineng vibes off the ruins, really. I understand the decay and destruction that would have taken place there, but it didn't do anything for nostalgia.
- Feels Empty: The map feels like an office park of some kind rather than a city where people live and work. The lack of explorable building interiors (or interiors plagued by constant events or chairs you can't sit in) didn't make this feel any better.
- Scant Secrets/Details: Most of the secret things/objects of interest in Kaineng seem to be scraps of paper/lore as opposed to visually interesting scenes or objects/creatures.
- Smuggled Raptors?: An NPC tells you that Elonian Raptors made it to Cantha via smuggling and implies this is meant to be hush hush - but Raptors are used as a mainstream transportation resource across all of Cantha and therefore not a very good secret. Sus. Just having their own local variant would have made a lot more sense.
- Can't Hug Every Cat: Oddly, not all of the cats and dogs in the city can be pet. Not sure why.
- Can't Pet the Rats: Missed opportunity. They're as big as the cats; give them love.

Once I've completed all Kaineng-related achievements, I may honestly never go back to this map. I'm glad to hear that some people are happy with it, but it's just not my thing.

• Like 3

The more I play in this map the more I hate it to be honest, feels like playing Skyrim with some weirds mods, breaks immersion and feels completelly out of place. I actually dont even want to deal with that map, TD was confusing to explore and everything, but was way more interesing then this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeb CC.1342 said:

I don't understand this comparison. TD has 3 layers on the map, Echovald has one layer. There's no massive layers of caves on top of caves. Echovald is one of my favourite maps possibly in the entire game. It has an awesome atmosphere and it's very fun to traverse, unlike TD where I get lost and can't figure out how to just.. get up. 
New Kianeng City is also a pretty fun map. I love that they use synthesiser for the resource nodes. and it really feels like a big city.

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere. But like TD, Arborstone is very complicated to navigate. You even need an achievement to get to one POI. AND you need to upgrade your characters with the Jadebot -> buy/craft a core. to enter closed areas , even though you already have the mastery. That's the complaints I have.

Edit: Oh, and Arborstone has some layers too. Not as many as TD, but you could do 98 % completion and get stuck because of one single point.

Edited by Maria Murtor.7253
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Well, yeah - launch was on a Monday, so I doubt there will be any accurate numbers until after the weekend (most players don't have time to game on workdays).

As for the supposed emptiness:

• First of, the rich number of ambient NPCs and dialogue makes it feel anything but empty.
  • If you define "emptiness" by the lack of simultaneous players in the same instance of a map, all I can say is: thank the Six the maps are not swarmed like that! I can finally immerse without tons of other players blocking the NPCs (e.g., merchant) I am current talking to.
  • Also, the visual noise of players with blink-blink characters has been signigicantly toned down this way, so that's always a good thing. 😉

Glad you are enjoying the city 😀 We've been worried for you since the Blade Runner post 😉 I agree about how much fun exploring this map is. I spent hours just running around on foot yesterday. Such a cool map!

• Confused 3