Happy with your specialization?

Quietas.4891

10 hours ago, Quietas.4891 said:

I've been looking through the various profession forums that I have level 80 characters and it seems most people are not happy with the released versions. After seeing that, it seems the general feeling is the extensive feedback threads were ignored.

How many of you are happy with the new specializations and which one really works well for you?

I'm honestly curious because my main specs were not noticeably touched after the last beta and most players were not happy back then.

While there are plenty to be annoyed at around the new elites. 

Do remember, a very small minority make up forum use, ontop of this, forums are not a place to go for positive feedback, happy players don't post, because why would you?. 

Forums primary use is critic. 

The new Elites I feel majorly have suffered from the balancing being split into 2 parts and each part is quite seperated from the other in time span. 

EoDs primary goal is to revert power creep. I e bring elites back down towards core, the problem is simple. 

To do this some core nerfs need reverting, some weapons need a revamp etc etc, because so much power over the years got dumped into elites to suddenly get a elite which isn't treated the same way feels alien espically when the other development path still is in the game. 

If Anet deliever and in the summer patch we see:

Some of cores strengths return. 

All other elites get proper trade offs alike EoD speccs. 

Changes to core design of proffessions to fit better into what they're trying to create. 

The problem will vastly improve 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

With my limited experience...

Untamed: Don't play ranger, period.

Mechanist: Good.  I like this one quite a bit.

Specter: Mediocre.  I haven't tried running healer with it though.  It's just so clunky to use the scepter skills and the shroud skills.  They're all very slow compared to other thief weapon skills.

Vindicator: Mediocre, but prospects look good on this one.  I just haven't gotten used to the dodge yet, so I've died expecting it to be a normal one.  However, that bunny hop hits really hard.

Willbender: Undecided, but things don't look good.

Bladesworn: Undecided, but things don't look good.

Catalyst: Bad.  Frenetic skill spam, incredibly frail, and a cumbersome mechanic

Virtuoso: Mediocre.  It's a stripped-down mesmer.

Harbinger: Good.  Does a lot of damage and has cool support skills.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Quietas.4891 said:

I've been looking through the various profession forums that I have level 80 characters and it seems most people are not happy with the released versions. After seeing that, it seems the general feeling is the extensive feedback threads were ignored.

How many of you are happy with the new specializations and which one really works well for you?

I'm honestly curious because my main specs were not noticeably touched after the last beta and most players were not happy back then.

The disappointed people come to the class forums to post.  The happy people stay in game to play some more.

It's not 100% this way, but enough to color what you see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

We had the same Meta since PoF release in Wvw Zergs. 

There was hope that the EoD specs would finally shake up the Meta. 

That didn't happen. 

Thats why I'm unhappy. 

Plus some classes needed serious help but they didn't get what was needed the most. 

It sucks when your class already struggles, you get a very bad E Spec and a nerf on top on release. 

"Sad Warrior noice" 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 3

I'll go in order of what I've played the most so far. I am a Rev main for what it's worth, so my analysis on other specs probably isn't as informed.

-Virtuoso. Played pretty extensively during the beta. On live, have spent a lot of time on it: roaming/smallscale-fighting in WvW. Ran through the entirety of the EoD story and all open world content with it, and have run it on about 6 or so EoD strikes so far. I have been enjoying myself, but in WvW I wouldn't call it a "good" spec in terms of current power level in the game; there's a ton of counterplay to the spec and The F3 and F4 hurt my soul with how horrible they are in comparison to core shatters. Beyond the animations, the spec feels very uninspired, as do the traits. 

-Vindicator: Played a ton during the betas. Mostly have played it as a support in WvW, including one EoD strike (as support). Fun. Likely overtuned in terms of numbers. I have said this multiple times before but I am so happy I feel like I can more effectively play support in WvW. The spec is not without its flaws and the legend itself is a bit awkward to get used to, but it's probably the strongest/most powercrept elite of the expac (at least in WvW it feels that way). I greatly dislike ANet's vision of specs having one dodge; it really ruins the flow and a core combat aspect of GW2 and I wish they'd stop. I like this infinitely more than I liked Renegade on release. 

-Specter: Played pretty extensively in the betas but not too much live yet. This was the spec I was most hyped for and I am extremely bummed that they didn't further iterate on it. While amazing in concept and innovative in terms of what it brings to the game of GW2, its style of support just doesn't mesh super well with the rest of the game. Scepter is decent but exclusively single target, which makes it lackluster to use in group PvE content (spamming sword 2; such gameplay). I absolutely *hate* the way support works via shroud and how it is only single target, yet we are incentivized to use tether on enemies due to all the trait interactions that DO NOT EXIST when using it on an ally. The UI still does NOT accommodate the Specter playstyle. During the beta I roamed a bit as condi Specter and found it a bit boring and slow, which is also how I feel about it in open world PvE content. Things felt like they were dying really slow. Overall I still have a lot of hope for this espec, but I am massively bummed that ANet didn't do more for it. Seems to perform very well as power in PvP/WvW, but I am only interested in at as support.

-Harbinger:  Honestly a lot of fun. Haven't played it too much. Just some really casual open world PvE events as well as a couple EoD strikes as a quickness boon support. It feels very fluid and hits like a truck. I love the added mobility and the elixirs are pretty neat since the changes. The shroud/elixir animations are great. Sound animations for pistol should be more ghastly sounding and icons for elixirs need to be straight up redone. I enjoy the playstyle more than I do Core/Reaper/Scourge. I did *not* try this out in WvW at all but it can get hilariously high damage. I am assuming the power damage will get nerfed, at which point I don't know if there will be much of a reason to run Harbi over Necro's other options as it has a MASSIVE tradeoff of not having the second healthbar. I hope ANet is *very* careful about how they decide to adjust this espec because it could very quickly be dead in the water.

The rest I have barely played at all. Willbender and Bladesworn straight up do not interest me, but Guardian and Warrior are my two least played classes so it is not a surprise. Catalyst felt disappointing from the little I played of it and I think hammer 3 ruins a lot of potential for the weapon...that is FOUR weapon skills that the hammer has to sacrifice for this lackluster mechanic in PvP/WvW. Untamed is interesting in theory, but like a lot of these especs, just doesn't seem quite there. The ambush and unleash mechanics are interesting in theory, but they don't seem fully fleshed out. Mechanist seems neat for PvE and I honestly think I'll enjoy it there a lot, but as a WvW main, the spec seems totally useless unless you are trying to do some super smallscale 1v1s/2v2s/3v3s/etc.

On the topic of WvW, I was really hoping ANet was going to try more to make some of the specs help break the current meta that has been plaguing the game mode. But listening to comments from CMC during the betas about having a bunch of Specters in a squad to spam the tag (because muh single target barriers) and Untamed being a good spec for zergs (because muh hammer has AoEs) makes me lose a lot of hope for the game mode's balance diversity because it shows that the balance team is totally out of touch with how WvW works as a game mode. And that is a big bummer for me.

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I split them into three categories:

1 - Happy

Vindicator is really the only one in this category for me. Rev has forever lacked a big bombastic smashy melee weapon, and GS nailed that nicely. Quickness, a ton of might, stability, and tons of damage make Archie a pretty awesome legend even before adding Vicky as a panic button.

Bladesworn is right on the cusp here. Since the change to make berserker glassy, my warrior hasn't really seen the light of day. BS is honestly not likely to change that, but it is at least a shoo-in for my warrior's default spec.

2 - Indifferent

On the positive side, I absolutely love Soulbeast, Reaper, DH, and Scrapper/Holo, so the fact that none of the new especs for those professions really does it for me is a non-issue. It would be nice to have a shiny new toy for one of my mains, but it's good enough that I have another main to juggle now.

On the negative side, I dislike Mesmer and Thief, so those don't matter to me.

3 - Disappointed

Catalyst is a disappointment. I love my tempest and all, but the possibility of a new ele spec designed around a big, slow, splashy hammer sounds *so cool*... But in practice they turned it into a fun-destroying mess of micromanagement and another flood of forgettable incrementalist skills like core and weaver. I really *want* to like it, but it's just not there.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Only really played Mechanist and Vindicator in depth. So far, they offer some very interesting and versatile build options.

Vindicator is definitely fun IMO, though the Hammer does not suit the playstyle very well; that's more of a general Revenant issue. 

Mechanist has 'nerf me' written all over it with the Signets + J-Drive ... we will see what Anet thinks. 

Next up: Harbinger now that I have ability to create some Ritualist insignias

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 2

As a Mesmer Main im not happy.

Besides all the problems this spec has the most annoying thing for me is that this spec is so boring (for me as Mesmer main, I'm aware that others have fun with it most of the time non Mesmer Mains)

It's not only the same gameplay style like we had before with core and chrono no it's even the fact that it doesn't matter which Traits you choose the way you play doesn't rly change Condi or Power it's all the same thing you do, 3 GM Traits that are for the exact same thing (generating blades).

Why they couldn't at least delete shatters and bring something new? 

The disappointment is real sry, a rushed spec that is shiny but has no heart....

As a mainly Necro and Ranger main, largely no. 

Harbinger is fine, it's fun enough but it's design is dreadfully dull from a build making perspective. All the traits and elixirs are so formulaic and samey. It really tends to boil down to each trait and elixir being able to have an objective best in slot because they're all just different flavors of the same thing.

Untamed is in some ways the opposite problem, it's got no coherent identity or purpose just a lot of mechanics and ideas thrown at the wall and seeing what sticks. Pet controls actually getting downgraded in functionality has me avoiding this one entirely for the time being.

On a more positive note I am having a ton of fun on Vindicator.  Initially tried a boon support oriented build with diviner's gear and was pleased and surprised as Vicki's healing even at zero healing power, and I am currently building towards a celestial set of gear for a more well rounded version of the build. In the meantime I have been loving how hard a straight power version hits. Death Drop and greatsword feel great with that setup.

I am also very interested in trying out Willbender, Virtuoso and Mechanist.  So it's not all bad, I'd say I am about 50/50 on the elite specs, I am just not thrilled with the ones for my most played classes.

• Like 2

Vindicator has been a ton of fun for me. Not a huge fan of the new legends, they’re fun, but running Jalis/Shiro is A-Ok with me, they’re such a good combo and I usually play Herald so I never get to run them together, so it feels new to me in a way.

The greatsword is awesome. Guardian GS was always my favourite GW2 weapon set, but Vindicator GS is coming close. GS5 is such a bomb, I get excited when it’s coming off cooldown. The block is nice and pretty powerful too.

I love the new dodge mechanic too.  Being able to be full berserker DPS (and doing pretty decent overall DPS I might add) but then being able to drop big healing/barrier bombs on everyone around me with the healing dodge is awesome. It actually feels super impactful compared to my Herald where people are ticking away with their regen which they would probably have had anyway. 

I’ve tried Willbender a bit too. It’s definitely fun, but it feels either too glassy if I go full DPS, or it hits like a noodle if I pick more defensive options. The mobility is a lot of fun though.

I'm actually happy with how Untamed turned out in PvE. Provides good support for power builds, and good control over pet skills. I have not tried hammer yet, though.

My only complaint is the same one as core Ranger: The pet does not do enough DPS to offset the Ranger's lower output.

I am enjoying playing catalyst so far(mostly in pve, haven't done as much wvw since eod launch).

That doesn't mean I think it's perfect, there are maybe one or two traits I like but the grandmaster traits are the ones I dislike the most. None are interesting to take. I also think hammer 3 skills need some sort of change. I still think the damage should be shifted to the autos and they be turned into support or utility skills.

That all said, I am enjoying the rest of hammer more than I thought I would. And after rebinding my f5 jade sphere feels smoother to use. No comment on the augments though😅 other than I at least could use the elite to help with breakbars in air attunment. 

I like my willbender a lot tbh. I like the fact that I can have mobility on my guard while can pull some serious dmg(condi). Also a not so useful cc cause of the casting time. 

Need some tuning here and there but is on the right path by my taste. 

We have to keep in mind that elites giving you just a sideway to play your character not "the way". 

Necro and rev also attract me. For others I don't know as I didn't play them yet. 

Vindicator
Urn is right in your face. It is too big and is ugly. The urn is an unneccessary effect that is blocking combat view

Virtuso
Nice effects but keep dying. Bumping vitality and tough to 1300 and giving the Virtuso another go

Bladesworn
Slide and dice but offhand pistol? If it is on mainhand I can least bring in a shield or warhorn. I'll prefer as well a dedicated F button to throw grenades as bladesworn? 

Willbender
Will work with the right combinations. Its not bad.

Untamed
Surprisingly enjoying Untamed. Lets me rid of ranger for good. 

Mechanist:
Is good

Edited by medivh.4725

On 3/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, Serephen.3420 said:

I am enjoying playing catalyst so far(mostly in pve, haven't done as much wvw since eod launch).

That doesn't mean I think it's perfect, there are maybe one or two traits I like but the grandmaster traits are the ones I dislike the most. None are interesting to take. I also think hammer 3 skills need some sort of change. I still think the damage should be shifted to the autos and they be turned into support or utility skills.

That all said, I am enjoying the rest of hammer more than I thought I would. And after rebinding my f5 jade sphere feels smoother to use. No comment on the augments though😅 other than I at least could use the elite to help with breakbars in air attunment. 

This comment didn't age well 😔

• Sad 3

On 3/4/2022 at 5:29 AM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

With my limited experience...

Untamed: Don't play ranger, period.

Mechanist: Good.  I like this one quite a bit.

Specter: Mediocre.  I haven't tried running healer with it though.  It's just so clunky to use the scepter skills and the shroud skills.  They're all very slow compared to other thief weapon skills.

Vindicator: Mediocre, but prospects look good on this one.  I just haven't gotten used to the dodge yet, so I've died expecting it to be a normal one.  However, that bunny hop hits really hard.

Willbender: Undecided, but things don't look good.

Bladesworn: Undecided, but things don't look good.

Catalyst: Bad.  Frenetic skill spam, incredibly frail, and a cumbersome mechanic

Virtuoso: Mediocre.  It's a stripped-down mesmer.

Harbinger: Good.  Does a lot of damage and has cool support skills.  

Pretty much this, with only a few exceptions

I've had a ranger since I started just after GW2 launch. Untamed is just plain bad. The hammer was an exciting idea, very poorly executed. Greatsword is a better hammer than hammer, frankly. The new pet controls/abilities are barely thought out and not even half developed. The spec proves what we've said since launch, especially in comparison to Soulbeast. We need a way to remove the pet in some circumstances.

Mechanist; I hate the golem aesthetically and resent its existance. GW2 has proven for the last 10 years that pets are a terrible, terrible idea in this game. Putting one on Engi feels like an attack, especially after the colossal Cluster-f that was HoT launch Gyros. It's demonstrably as incomplete and half-baked as Untamed. Especially since EoD is replete with far better jade golem designs. It's clear to me that Mechanist was so rushed and complete a botch-job that they've had to make the golem OP to mask it's multitudinous flaws.

Willbender I've been playing around with, it's better than beta movement wise but still feels slow and frankly boring. For all it's supposed movement, you are permanantly bound to fighting around a small aoe, making the movement largely redundant. It seems more limiting than other guaridan specs and for little gain. DH feels far more mobile in it's playstyle.