Core Only PvP Mode

Thurbleton.5841

I know this will get shot down by the devs but curious if the concept will get any traction with other players.

I enjoy pvp. I enjoy playing core builds in pvp.  I certainly wish there were more viable builds among core setups but really... I just wish there was a core only game mode for pvp.  I could soapbox rant about the various meta builds but the short version is the power creep of various elite specs has made it so there is more going on and more things to get frustrated with.  I just came off playing a match against a mechanist, minion-mancer, mirage, tempest, and warrior (war was fine).  There were so many enemies on screen and somehow felt like all of them had aura constantly.  Idk how to balance that other than increasing hit cap above 5 for pvp but even then with the ele giving reflect / shock aura its still a mess... feels better to just not play against that.

I'd love for a core only game mode, heck if I have to pay another $30 and its a seperate server like classic wow then fine.  PvP is getting out of hand though and feels more like a chore to try and get all my ranked chests before end of season rather than a fun activity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

I dont know if it's a collateral effect or it's made in purpose but core players are bullied in this game, and Anet is ok with it.

Core players can be abused by OP Eod specs and it's OK.

Another part is that core players are forced to download the EOD patches, having 58 GIGAS of trash that they wont use, occupying their PC!!!!

13 minutes ago, frareanselm.1925 said:

I dont know if it's a collateral effect or it's made in purpose but core players are bullied in this game, and Anet is ok with it.

Core players can be abused by OP Eod specs and it's OK.

Another part is that core players are forced to download the EOD patches, having 58 GIGAS of trash that they wont use, occupying their PC!!!!

Even old elite specs are being bullied

On 3/18/2022 at 3:53 PM, Ashgar.3024 said:

Could be fun if they fix the fact Core Rev, Ele and Engi are all dogpoo.

I can agree that Engi and Ele need some tweaks but Core Rev doesn't, at least not much right now unless they keep nerfing it. Inspiring Reinforcement initial Stability nerf was already hard to deal with, Mallyx is just dead the moment there's any Poison and Forced Engagement range nerf was completely unwarranted.

Hammer CoR really needs a point blank hitbox fix as well, it makes it harder to use for no reason otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Surprised how much interest this topic has received.

To the folks saying it wouldn't work because some entire core professions are essentially abandoned you're kinda proving my point.  If an elite specialization is meant to add a fun twist to the profession playstyle meal then you want to make sure the core ingredients are good or else you become overly reliant on that twist as the fun.  (Cooking analogy over)

There are a number of weapons and trait choices that are just bad (warrior still has a number of 300sec cooldown traits!)  It's that lack of options that leads to multiple builds with elite specs just picking the same 1-2 core traits to go with it.  With your main profession what trait do you use LEAST?

Core ele is doo doo water.

The people who say this haven't died to double-digit burn stacks applied nearly-instantly from range without a projectile.  It's so unfair.  That said, core-only PvP would probably end up going full SUPER TURTLE because it would saturate itself with warriors/guardians/necros running around and dealing consistent/high damage while popping sustain.  There are not a lot of options available which can consistently pressure those builds outside of a protracted 2v1 investment; the time spent would be super low-return on the investment considering that people would probably have a thief running around everywhere.  

• Mesmer burst is admittedly instantaneous, but also omitted by dodges and leaves the attacker almost devoid of firepower for the entirety of its cooldown. 
  • Ranger is forced to run stealth trapper or become hysterically dependent on overpowered expansion pets (unless you'd ban those too; which I wouldn't complain about).
  • Thief dies to any pressure, and would probably either have to go full stealth garbage or spam pistol whip to survive more than 3 seconds (regardless if these even really impact the field or not).  They'd probably end up doing some 70/30 split of "not playing a video game" / "low-effort Dark Souls gank-squad groupie"  Not super engaging.
  • Engineer just runs a worse version of holo, I guess?
  • Rev just runs a worse version of herald, I guess?
  • Ele either runs scepter burn (which is almost halfway fun to fight with x/dagger, but would probably be a violently aggressive disease with x/focus fire-water-air/arcane) or lightning rod power staff (which basically just means waiting for tornado to come off cooldown).

tl;dr:  You actually probably wouldn't change anything with a core-only PvP mode, but there MIGHT be an opportunity for some niche, surprise builds that could win a round or two before getting focused and ground into paste by the stock war/guard/necro set-up.

Edited by Swagg.9236
  • Like 1