Forbid flying in expansion - unlock later.

On 3/20/2022 at 6:08 PM, Opun.3824 said:

So now i understand why WOW forbids flying in thier expansions at the beginning, and requires doing some achievements to unlock it.

Flying makes everything TOO EASY, exploring new maps is not as fun as it was before skyscale, u dont have to think about using ziplines, look for path up... u just fly - this breaks immersion and fun.

I think Anet could have done same as WOW - lock mounts or only skyscale in cantha until u do all maps masteries (or some specific Achievement)

It would make exploring more fun and also give ppl some goal to make those achievements.

Same could be told for core tyria and Hot maps - u have to unlock mounts in those regions to use them.

So many wrong ideas here. 

Firstly, just because another mmo has a feature, popular or otherwise, it is not a reason to have it in this game. 

Secondly, if you find that flying breaks immersion **for you** then just don't use your mounts. Remove the keybinds and problem solved. 

Thirdly you think taking something players have already unlocked "would make exploring more fun". Maybe for you, but for some (like myself) it would be **less** fun. 

More than anything, there are two points to see to understand why your suggestion doesn't work.

1. Players have already put in the time to acquire the mounts they have with no indication that they would need to do this again. It sounds like an inconvenience and forcing them to do tasks for no apparent reason for a reward they already own is a terrible concept.

2. Taking options and choices away so that people **have** to use the zip lines or other modes is poor design. The Devs have generally given players freedom to chose how they want to traverse the landscape the same as they have freedom in playstyle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2022 at 11:08 AM, Opun.3824 said:

So now i understand why WOW forbids flying in thier expansions at the beginning, and requires doing some achievements to unlock it.

Flying makes everything TOO EASY, exploring new maps is not as fun as it was before skyscale, u dont have to think about using ziplines, look for path up... u just fly - this breaks immersion and fun.

I think Anet could have done same as WOW - lock mounts or only skyscale in cantha until u do all maps masteries (or some specific Achievement)

It would make exploring more fun and also give ppl some goal to make those achievements.

Same could be told for core tyria and Hot maps - u have to unlock mounts in those regions to use them.

question for you, does others flying hurt your gameplay? no? did not think so, if it gave them an advantage over you then sure but let people do what they want ESPECIALLY since skyscale is a pain to unlock.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:08 AM, Opun.3824 said:

More fun for who?  How does it affect my gameplay if someone else flies or not?

I do not have a skyscale. I cannot be bothered to do the collections for it. I really do not care if someone else has it. You play your way, let others play their way. Life is not really that complicated. 😎

Edited by Tukaram.8256
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If they don't want people to use mounts (or not use mounts until you get your regional flying license) they should design maps that can be walked in. EoD maps are far too large and far too vertical for doing them without mounts to be enjoyable. If an entire expansion is treated like a jumping puzzle (meaning no mounts/flying mounts and you have to figure out how to get places) it ceases to be fun if it's work and waypoints are few and far between.

For EoD in particular, they would need to make ziplines far more visible with their direction shown and, preferably, show on the minimap. Heck, that would help reduce the number of people relying on the skyscale simply because finding ziplines can take you out of the way and it's faster and more reliable to fly up than check everywhere around you.

Also... people paid for mount skins and want to see them. Most mounts in WoW could be acquired in-game. In GW2, every mount skin but one for the WvW mount means someone somewhere bought gems. If someone spends $5, $10, $25+ for a mount skin in addition to spending days/weeks doing a collection to get the base mount, they won't be too keen on being told all that's locked away until they put a dozen or more hours into a story. They may even decide not to buy the content if they can't use what they've paid to get.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WoW had limitations on starting areas initially because of pvp servers so you couldn't maul new player, they didn't want you swooping in on some poor character just trying to beat off murlocs on day one.  GW2 is open world pve only, and much like WoW, the mounts add a new layer of interesting views to the game.  People power leveled to get to end game content at a ridiculous pace to be the world first for achievements and bragging rights in WoW.  Some people want to race through new content or maps in GW2.  Who cares, let people play how they want to.  If you don't want a mount so you can enjoy the scenery, fine.  I like using my flyers for seeing the sights, so absolutely no to OPs idea.

• Like 3

Forcing them to experience the map designs and content by foot won't make them neccersarily happy or more appreciative of the maps or expansion if that's not their focus.

Especially if they spent all that time getting skyscale, some prefer the luxuary it provides and the abbility to get to the story and events, faster. .

I chose to personally do the first Cantha map without using Skyscale unless it was somewhere that I had already ran or looked through. But that was my own choice to enjoy the expansion as a whole. But doing that for most of the map exploration is not very neccesary. There's only so much NPC and textures you can look at before you just wanna get to the action lol.

If they had any intention of exploring the maps instead of rushing through it, then they would do that by choice. And some of the returning Vets just wanted to rush through it to see if it is any good.

------

/TLDR;

Not a good idea as not everyone wants to take the time to explore every nook and cranny,  rather, some would prefer to jump to the action or story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mounts made the game world smaller but also gave a large boost to monetization so that boar has sailed. Taking away use of something that players have worked to unlock, and potentially have spent not insignificant amounts of money on skins for, is not likely to generate player goodwill.