Forbid flying in expansion - unlock later.

The only reason wow got rid of flying is so they could use it as a carrot on a stick to make people do their horrible content through flying achievements. It was such a bitter response towards the fact that players didn't want to get rid of flying and the developers did so they just went and found some loop hole to still try and make themselves look good anyways.

Either way I understand your point of having a different type of immersion without flying, actually it's one of the reasons why I like the raptor taxi's, but i feel like that type of immersion can still be achieved through design rather than restricting and taking things away just to make make people earn them again... lets leave that sort of thing to blizzard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Opun.3824 said:

So now i understand why WOW forbids flying in thier expansions at the beginning, and requires doing some achievements to unlock it.

Flying makes everything TOO EASY, exploring new maps is not as fun as it was before skyscale, u dont have to think about using ziplines, look for path up... u just fly - this breaks immersion and fun.

I think Anet could have done same as WOW - lock mounts or only skyscale in cantha until u do all maps masteries (or some specific Achievement)

It would make exploring more fun and also give ppl some goal to make those achievements.

Same could be told for core tyria and Hot maps - u have to unlock mounts in those regions to use them.

while we are at it, let's ban all old specs too, only new specs allowed in eod zones!

• Haha 3

I get where the point is coming from. Before most of the mounts I really enjoyed map completion with vistas as frequent highlights. A bit time intensive, yeah. But like super small versions of jumping puzzles all around.

Nowadays maps are just stuff to traverse through learning the key meta event locations. 
Not that locking mounts arbitrarily would solve that. With the introduction of these mounts ANet mostly killed that part of the game. There is no hotfix or going back for new expansions. Don't take away peoples stuff.

But the game certainly did trade something along the way. Loosing that aspect while gaining the mounts and all they have made possible. 

• Confused 4

Ah yes, another one of these "u gotta play the game how i want u to play" topics. 
If u want to play the game without mounts... i might surprise you, but you can! just.... dont... use... mounts... easy fix. 

But for some unknown reason u want to impose that on to other players. And that is not acceptable. Gw is all about "play how you want" concept and it should actually stay that way. 

Just a little thing to consider before anyone wants to make this kind of topics again: 
If a part of community wants to play with less abilities/convinience/gear/mounts/gliders/etc that is currently availible to them by the game mechanics - they have that option in a way of just not using that mechanic. On the other hand if a part of community wants to play with more abilities/convinience/gear/mounts/gliders/etc that are not currently in the game - it cant, because it is not in the game. And what you are saying is that anet should take things out of the game to make certain people happy and other people unhappy instead of just playing the game like you want to play it without making any part of the community unhappy. 

So the conclusion is simple - having loads of options from which u can choose how to play the game is always better than having less options. 

Edited by soulknight.9620
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Opun.3824 said:

Flying makes everything TOO EASY, exploring new maps is not as fun as it was before skyscale, u dont have to think about using ziplines, look for path up... u just fly - this breaks immersion and fun.

Map completion is already frustrating enough WITH the skyscale, I can't imagine trying to navigate any xpac maps like in the old days. That would just get me to quit the game entirely like how I did at launch after a year and not even managing to get 25% world completion in core Tyria. The only way such a ridiculous idea would even make sense is if they started selling Map Completion Unlocks in the gemstore so the average player can reasonably clear maps for crafting legendaries. 

I went through hell and spent a whole lot of resources to get my Skyscale and Griffon so unless you're gonna reimburse me and mail me 10k gold ingame (includes costs for the gen 3 legendary I'll have to buy off the TP now that you're denying me EoD map completion) for taking away my hard-earned mounts, your suggestion is a hard fail.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is stupid. If you think playing through the expansion with flying mounts ruin your immersion, DONT PLAY WITH FLYING MOUNTS. Easy.

I don't have much time to play, maybe 5 hours a week, so I don't have heaps of time I'm willing to spend jumping and climbing my way over all the vertical parts of the new maps.

You play the way you want to play and the rest of us will play the way we want to play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I sound a bit cynical here, but Anet still gives away Heroic Editions of GW2 from time to time as promotional items. For example just buy a certain new Crucial SSD (the X8s seem to be pretty great drives) and pocket a heroic edition from a participating retailer. Then you can enjoy a version of the game without all those pesky mounts or a glider... :classic_tongue::classic_laugh::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Opun.3824 said:

I just think EOD coz of already unlocked mounts kinda dont deliver this exploration that core and previous xpacs did, we dont have to unlock any mastery to visit new places, everything is just unlocked from start.

Maybe locking mounts is not a good option, but still making some parts of cantha accassible only after u reach certain mastery would be nice.

We have Arborstone mastery, full mastery line for opening this place. Sure you can visit it without masteries but you will be missing lot of content in forms of different activities, vendors and achievements that are started from there.

Another example is fishing mastery and skiff mastery lines. Without maxing those you will have very hard time to catch some of the fishes in places requiring higher fishing power for catch, this you need for some dailies, to get right fish to buy stuff from vendor and for some achievements.

There is also some other things you cannot reach without certain new masteries, like places that require you to store more than 2 jade bot charges.

There is plenty of new things opening to you via unlocking new masteries. We don't need to take out old abilities just to grind them back to have content - Anet devs are able to make new things instead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Despot.3048 said:

Gatekeep yourself then. Stop telling others how the game should be enjoyed. 

I am not gatekeeping anyone, im just suggesting something to see what others think about it - start some kind of discussion, nothing more.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

No.
If you don't WANT to use the flying mounts, don't use them. It's up to you to make the game what you want it to be in this regard. Don't force other people to play the way you WANT to play the game just because you can't control yourself and not use the mount.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Opun.3824 said:

I am not gatekeeping anyone, im just suggesting something to see what others think about it - start some kind of discussion, nothing more.

Your opening post doesn't seem to leave room for discussion, nor does it appear to be a suggestion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Opun.3824 said:

There is an easy solution for that. If you don't enjoy exploring new maps with flying mounts, then explore them on foot. Using flying mounts in new zones is not immersion breaking. Skyscale is a loyal companion I have raised from egg and trained, so if anything, not taking it with me to explore new lands would actually have been immersion breaking.

I think Anet could have done same as WOW - lock mounts or only skyscale in cantha until u do all maps masteries (or some specific Achievement)

I would permanently quit GW2 the moment they do anything of that sort.

It would make exploring more fun and also give ppl some goal to make those achievements.

I've never had any problems with setting a goal for myself in the game, so that sounds like a you problem. Taking away a mount you have already unlocked and putting some arbitrary timegate until you can use it in the new content might sound more fun for you, but that would drive away vast majority of the playerbase, as the tried and true example from when WoW did this has already shown that.

Same could be told for core tyria and Hot maps - u have to unlock mounts in those regions to use them.

Again, there is nothing preventing you from not using mounts at Core Tyria and HoT maps. If you don't want to use mounts, then don't. Simple as that.

Edited by Savoren.3910
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

GW2 was pretty much the first MMORPG that got rid of level "grinding". And I'm not talking about XP tomes or character boosts here.

But the MMO community in general refuses to let Character Levels go, and let players play how they want from day one

Edited by Knighthonor.4061
  • Confused 2

Actually,wow still did better,dragon's are better looking.flying has its benefit's in any game,still no bowl of rice for cooking (but I'll get to that later)...my rights for having a dragon,if you don't like flying do it the old fashioned way.

If gw2,did it the way wow did,there would be more asian accent to it,no Chinese dragons,no monk,no assassin,and still no dervish(yet there's robes shown for dervish).no craftable fireworks 😑 I could go on and on...

Edited by Agruesgirl.5726
  • Confused 7

You know what happens to maps where it's hard to get around? They just get ignored. Heck, those are the maps where I just find the exit to, so I never have to go back there again.

Also I really don't think people who unlocked Skyscale would find Core Tyria exploration very hard to begin with, but that's just me.

Besides the EoD maps have very few waypoints. Mounts are probably considered the norm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you lock my Skyscale, you lock the entire expansion for me until I can fly.

It's just disgusting how they limit player freedom for stupidly long periods of time in WoW's more recent expansions. If you think Blizzard did this for more immersion and fun, you are dead wrong. They did it exclusively to slow players down and squeeze more time out of their players. It's exploration for the first (and maybe second or third) time, but after the 100th time it's just a nuisance. But then again, these days every single system in WoW is just a nuisance to gate players.

If you want exploration on land first and flying later, FF14's way of unlocking flight is significantly superior to WoW (although the quest requirements for flying in FF14 are garbage).

However, the verticality in quite some GW2 maps already is disgusting with the ability to fly. Not being able to fly would make the experience worse, not better.

If you don't like flying, just don't fly. But don't force other players to the ground against their will.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I initially wondered what the point of ziplines were as I skipped them in favor of using the skyscale while exploring.
However, during events, particularly metas - the ziplines proved to be faster and more direct then the skyscale, griffon or springer. 
I even use the ziplines and teleporters in Arborstone.

I think this expansion does enough to force people to play outside of their comfort zone. (Dragon's End) - why alienate the player base more by forcing them not to use something they worked hard to unlock in the first place?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Honestly I'd rather have more complicated maps than the relatively flat maps you get in WoW.  Once they unlock the pathfinder achievement, you realize just how little content there really is in WoW maps.  Two weeks in with EoD, I'm done with the story (except the Battle for the Jade Sea, but that's another thread...), but there's still so much more to do and explore.  I've got 100% map completion in the new zones, but I'm still discovering interesting things.  You just don't get that with a WoW map.  Mounts enhance the zones in GW2.  In WoW, they just show how devoid of content they really are.  I've got pathfinder achievements in WoW for all current expansions, including Shadowlands.

Even in GW1, maps are a lot more complex and interesting than the average expansion map in WoW.

Edited by garpu.6210
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1