Time for a vendor for Thruster Control Unit

So, there's now an alternative way to get the Turtle Egg, avoiding the need to complete the DE Meta.  Can we please have a vendor for the Thruster Control Unit, so that we can get our turtles without jumping through the hoop of a strike mission?  Then the raiders and strikers can go back to their content, and the rest of us can get back to enjoying the game in our own ways, and peace will again reign in Tyria.  

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

I know a lot of people will tell you to just 'buckle down and do it', but they really did do the Siege Turtle dirty hyping it up everywhere, slapping 'ready to ride?' all over their ads, and featuring it in trailers as if it would be significant as you made your way through the expansion only for you to find you you can only start working on it after you've done the entire expansion and its components are gated behind content you can't even use the Turtle in.

tl;dr: Sure, allow some or all of the various components to be available through vendors. So long as some time and effort is still needed to get the mount, I think making it more accessible is good in the long term.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Honestly I've seen plenty of people get the turtle doing the Minister Li / Kaineng overlook strike (including WvW players that are running marauder gear and not familiar with the strike) and I actually completed the strike multiple times before even attempting Dragon's End at all (I did before the bug fixes on both mesmer and revenant for collections). I've seen people state they did Dragon's End 20-30 times and failed every time or something and reportedly the meta had 5% success rate for some people which is rough due to the time commitment.
With the strike mission if you fail that many times you might want to look at a guide, there's no timer or 2 hour wait to retry. The longest reported log thus far is about a half hour with a heal scourge, druid camping longbow (lol), and two heal firebrands which is four healers. If you need help there's plenty of people that will try to explain it to you and I'm certain most groups putting "for turtle" aren't expecting top tier gameplay with sub 8 min clears.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 6
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

LFG was a bit tricky earlier this evening, people selling runs for over 300 mystic coins and such, others requiring KP or LI.  I lucked out and got a comm a couple of hours later who was leading for the first time - just wanted to know what we were running so they could organise the groups. Comm explained the fight nicely.  Failed the first try because the sniper bugged.  Retried with 2 new folks and got the job done.  All in, less than an hour.  Lotta moving around and have to really pay attention to the AOE, where you run so as not to kill your team, but otherwise, not massively difficult. 

There are videos that give an overview of the fight so you can go in knowing roughly what to expect.  It is a fun fight - not at all a tank and spank - and you can see where Anet were going with forcing players to do some work (individual AOE fields that you need to spread out so as to not overlap and kill each other) instead of stacking, boom, done.  Quite enjoyed it.  Of course it really helps if you're playing with a chill group, which we were.  Initially, I thought it was going to be a nightmare, but in the end it wasn't.

With regard to other elements - RNG on meta needs fixing, that is brutal.  And the upscaling on Maw also needs some work.  I totally lucked out - stayed up past my bedtime and managed to get into a map where the Maw wasn't swarmed by loads of players. Finally have my turtle which makes my completionist brain happy.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/24/2022 at 4:47 PM, Molesworth.1684 said:

Can we please have a vendor for the Thruster Control Unit, so that we can get our turtles without jumping through the hoop of a strike mission?

Why do you even bother? You should have realized by now Anet and the more vocal part of the playerbase don't want you (and me) in their ranks any longer. Either play like the "real players" do or press alt+f4.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, yoguil.7320 said:

Why do you even bother? You should have realized by now Anet and the more vocal part of the playerbase don't want you (and me) in their ranks any longer. Either play like the "real players" do or press alt+f4.

I think we detected the WoW refugee amongst us. No real feedback, arguements or solutions offered to the conversation. I agree that this whole situation sucks. But telling people to just quit doesn't help anyone.

Edited by FortyTwo.8697
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

The thing that depresses me (and makes me feel alienated from the game after loving it for over 9 years) is that if Anet do eventually introduce a vendor for this turtle saddle part, it won't be through empathy with the playerbase, but on commercial grounds, because they aren't selling enough turtle skins at the gem store.  (I am one of those 'whales' who have always supported the game financially, not buying gems to convert to gold, but skins, outfits, etc.  Not any more.)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

I think they should've made it easier to get the turtle, on account of how much of the hype was about the turtle. On the other hand, though…

I find it incredibly frustrating how folks just straight-up refuse to play parts of the game. GW2 is far, far better if you at last dip your toe in every part of it — wvw, spvp, strikes, fractals, story, solo exploration, big open-world metas, racing, jps — and learn a few things you can apply to your preferred activities.

Anet's attempts to coax people to do that can be clumsy at times, but you all really are missing out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

On 3/25/2022 at 11:35 PM, FortyTwo.8697 said:

No real feedback, arguements or solutions offered to the conversation.

Well, it's not a new topic, you know. The debate is going on for three weeks now. Everything is said. Just not by everybody. In particular not by Anet.

Right now my impression ist exactly as I've written: Anet forces everybody into a certain type of gameplay in GW2. And they don't care about that part of the playerbase that avoided exactly this type of gameplay in the past. Since there is no explicit statement from Anet on this topic, from my point of view I'm implicitly told: bend down or look for some other game to play, you're no longer welcome here.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, yoguil.7320 said:

Well, it's not a new topic, you know. The debate is going on for three weeks now. Everything is said. Just not by everybody. In particular not by Anet.

Right now my impression ist exactly as I've written: Anet forces everybody into a certain type of gameplay in GW2. And they don't care about that part of the playerbase that avoided exactly this type of gameplay in the past. Since there is no explicit statement from Anet on this topic, from my point of view I'm implicitly told: bend down or look for some other game to play, you're no longer welcome here.

Nothing different from requireing gift of battle from wvw for pve legendaries. Or pvpers needing world completion for gifts of exploration.  So no, the argument does not work.  I do not like wvw, but if wanting legendaries i had to do it.

Infact this is far less of a time requirement compared to either above.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

Just now, LucianDK.8615 said:

Nothing different from requireing gift of battle from wvw for pve legendaries. Or pvpers needing world completion for gifts of exploration.  So no, the argument does not work.  I do not like wvw, but if wanting legendaries i had to do it.

True. That's why I only have a single legendary weapon after almost 10 years playing GW2 (got it more or less by accident).

Your comparison is flawed, however. The turle was a big selling point for the expansion. And since I've got every other mount in the game I honestly feel screwed on this one. How could I even dare to expect the unlock path would be roughly the same as with roller beetle, griffon or skyscale? Warclaw for example was announced very clearly as being a wvw thing, and it wasn't a selling point for a real money transaction either.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, yoguil.7320 said:

True. That's why I only have a single legendary weapon after almost 10 years playing GW2 (got it more or less by accident).

Your comparison is flawed, however. The turle was a big selling point for the expansion. And since I've got every other mount in the game I honestly feel screwed on this one. How could I even dare to expect the unlock path would be roughly the same as with roller beetle, griffon or skyscale? Warclaw for example was announced very clearly as being a wvw thing, and it wasn't a selling point for a real money transaction either.

And strikes is a pve activity, not pvp. So its much easier to attain. As Ive stated in the past, people are needlessly afraid of smallscale instanced pve content. I see the same thing in WoW, many players have no issues using the group finder, but completely locks up when it comes to manually make a group for mythic 0 dungeons.

I frequently see groups for the kaineng strike to take people through it in lfg. Ive frequently joined those to have a more chill group to complete it that isnt gogogog, insta kick on fail!

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

As Ive stated in the past, people are needlessly afraid of instanced pve content.

And as I've stated in the past: I'm not afraid of strike missions, I simply don't enjoy playing instanced group content.

I'm playing video games since the 1980's. I'm playing mmorp games since the early 2000's. I've learnt a long time ago I don't like instanced group content. What's the point in trying it over and over again?

It's a game, it's not a job. In a job I simply have to do what I'm told. If a game starts to act like an employer I resign.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, yoguil.7320 said:

And as I've stated in the past: I'm not afraid of strike missions, I simply don't enjoy playing instanced group content.

I'm playing video games since the 1980's. I'm playing mmorp games since the early 2000's. I've learnt a long time ago I don't like instanced group content. What's the point in trying it over and over again?

It's a game, it's not a job. In a job I simply have to do what I'm told. If a game starts to act like an employer I resign.

And instanced pve is not a job.  Anet already made it easier to get the turtle, Which opened a slippery slide. Already seeing people wanting gifts of battle to be easier to attain. Make an effort instead of wanting for things to be adjusted to cater to your whims.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Anet already made it easier to get the turtle...

Well, it's not about this one meta in EoD, it's not about this one strike mission. It's the overall tone of the game that changed.

Ok, let's say Anet would provide an alternative way to get the Thruster Control Unit, too. Then what? If I'm not mistaken it's impossible right now to max out all EoD mastery lines including the turtle one without doing even more strike missions, right? So we're not talking about a one time inconvenience people like me have to swallow, it's an overall shift in game design and philosophy. It's intended to be that way, not a mistake. That's why I feel screwed.

Edited by yoguil.7320
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, yoguil.7320 said:

Well, it's not about this one meta in EoD, it's not about this one strike mission. It's the overall tone of the game that changed.

Ok, let's say Anet would provide an alternative way to get the Thruster Control Unit, too. Then what? If I'm not mistaken it's impossible right now to max out all EoD mastery lines including the turtle one without doing even more strike missions, right? So we're not talking about a one time inconvenience people like me have to swallow, it's an overall shift in game design and philosophy. It's intended to be that way, not a mistake. That's why I feel screwed.

While I do agree that there should be options for how you get the part you CAN get more than enough mastery points to finish the turtle without doing a single strike

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

If people cant handle the strike, then they give up too fast.

You are not taking into account some people do have difficulty playing the intensiveness of this strike mission and not because they give up too fast. These events for EoD are a mega carpal tunnel fest for some considering their duration and design. Those with disabilities might have trouble reacting as quickly some of these events require. While I am not asking for easy, I am asking for alternative ways to obtain an item that is needed - not just purchasing it. I would not have a problem doing some things like we had to do with the Skyscale to get an item instead of a strike mission. Not everyone is a 14 year old with lightening fast reflexes... 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1