Switching characters results in infinite load screen [Merged]

2 hours ago, trouble.3562 said:

one thing to give anet a tip: it does NOT, i repeat, it does NOT happen to my account without EoD.

That one logs in perfectly with no issues. It happens only to my main with EoD , either in or out EoD. But sometimes I can log in and play pvp or wvw. Pve is harder don't know why.

It happened to my other account, which does not have EOD, last night...

I was getting this issue last night. Things seemed fine at first, but when I was doing some farming and cycling through several characters it started to really hit hard. -repair didn't seem to fix anything, in fact, the repair tool hung 50% of the way through it's progress.

If you notice a long load period, closing the client and relaunching seems to clear it, until you go to switch characters again. I decided for a hard boot, although I noticed that my machine remained on and didn't power down. I forced it to power down and after booting back up again, it was better at the start, but as I kept switching characters it started the long load times started to occur again.

Edit to add: I'm on DX9

Edited by ShadowbaneX.6273

Same problem here. 

• First character everything is fine - but when I try to switch to another character, I have loading screens for up to 5 minutes (usual I load maps in less than 20sec).
  • Yesterday there were still backgound arts for loading screens, today the screens became just black.
  • IF it manages to get out of the loading screen:
    • camera is stuck, i see my charakter moving on minimap.
    • Entire terrain is not loaded, also most of the structures.
    • Some smaller objects (boxes etc) are loaded, also NPC's/players
    • Worldmap is just black, but i see still waypoints, POIs, Names (but minimap works fine - kinda weird)
    • UI is "normal" as far as i have seen it yet.

edit: I use dx9

Edited by Nasbit.3240
added dx-version
  • Like 2

Not sure if that helps. But I play this game with different accounts and while it works fine for my alt accounts, my main accounts is kinda unplayable most of the time with the problems described by others (not loading textures, UI, char select screen, 3-5 min loading times).

I'm running dx9 on all accounts and even use the same dat file. I only change my login information. Only my main account has EoD. It also has way more characters, items, progress, etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, trouble.3562 said:

I have the same:

loading screen: half my toons are black, or dissapear.

I log in, barely, and :   im stuck, cant move, cant see skills.

Maybe i cant log in also.

It happened starting today.

I have 2 pcs, in both same issue, only in my account with EoD. MY other account with No EoD = perfect everything.

After som further testing, this is my conclusion aswell!

If you have EoD unlocked on your account, then you might run in to this issue, if you don't (at least tested with only HoT unlocked and tested with f2p-account) then it works perfectly fine.

Can't speak for players with who has PoF but not EoD.

Something interesting that happened on my alt account was however that when I logged in on it, it opened the hero panel with the skiff selection open, something that is normally not accessible on HoT-only accounts.

Also experiencing the same problem. For what it's worth, I patched, logged in on one character and played for about 2 hours in Thunderhead with no problems. Everything went sideways when I parked them in Arborstone. Happens on multiple computers, dx9 & 11, but does not happen on an account w/o EoD. Personally I blame Arborstone.

17 minutes ago, Little Leota.5849 said:

Seriously?  They fixed the "elongated charr" bug, but not this one?  Nevermind if players have trouble accessing the game with more than one character, we can't have charr running around elongated!  Priorities, man.  Priorities.

RIP longcat. 😭

1 hour ago, Viithaj.6278 said:

After som further testing, this is my conclusion aswell!

If you have EoD unlocked on your account, then you might run in to this issue, if you don't (at least tested with only HoT unlocked and tested with f2p-account) then it works perfectly fine.

Can't speak for players with who has PoF but not EoD.

Something interesting that happened on my alt account was however that when I logged in on it, it opened the hero panel with the skiff selection open, something that is normally not accessible on HoT-only accounts.

My alt account has HOT/POF but not EOD, and had this problem for a while yesterday.

I too am experiencing this issue. I have trouble shooted the same as many others in this thread. I do have over 30 toons and I am not currently using the dx11 beta. I have EoD as well. 

This is a fairly significant bug and needs to be patched asap. Also would be helpful if we could get a comment from the team about it. 

Edited by Chry.1548
  • Like 2

Doesn't appear to be happening on my non-EOD accounts, as was reported earlier. Possibly something to do with fishing/skiff in hero panel? 🤷‍♂️

28 characters on my EOD account and 7 or less on all of my alt accounts

Edited by Friggarn.9451
update

Well I went through a whole thing with Support. They had me download and run HiJackThis! first, went through all of their directions, responded back with the uploaded log information.

Next response I was to provide some more client side information and to download another tool called WinMTR and to run that for awhile with the game running. So I followed all of their directions again and did everything I was suppose to. Uploaded file to them.

The response this time is telling me that my issue is caused by high latency according to all the logged information I sent them, and to contact my ISP to have them work out my issues here.

Now I'm really confused. I have multiple alt accounts, with only HoT and PoF expansions, and all of them are running fine, I can switch characters fine, SSD loads them up quick.

My main account is the one with this issue. It has all expansions, 54 characters, and yesterday was the first time I've ever experienced such a noticeable load-in time, with graphical errors and missing inventory and skills bar and other weird actions, all from switching characters. I happen to notice my main account is also eating up my RAM when this is happening.

I don't understand how internet latency could affect this, let alone affect my main account and not my alt accounts, all ran on the same computer. Something's going on with my main account with all expansions due to the SAB patch, because it's the only account eating up all of my RAM. I have 8GB of RAM btw.

Does anybody else agree with their assessment and can shed more info on this?

Edited by jdeshano.7592
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I wonder if its the amount of characters on an account. Most people here stated they have a decent amount of characters. Sure some say its caused by EoD, cause alt-accounts without work fine - but I bet the alt-accounts don't have more characters than fit on the char-screen?

@mezuzel.4987May I ask how many characters your alt accounts have? (The alt account, that run in this issue as well)

• Like 1