DX11 Rendering BETA

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-the-future-of-guild-wars-2/

In the section for 'Full Steam Ahead':

You only get to launch on Steam once, and we want to make sure we do it right. Over the coming months we’ll be wrapping up work on the Steam integration, cleaning up some aspects of the early game experience, and ensuring that the game and the studio are operationally ready for a new platform launch. We’re also working on getting DirectX11 ready to exit beta and making it the default graphics setting for new users.

Not too far off I imagine.

• Thanks 1

I have heard reports of it being glitchy for a number of people still.  I personally haven't dared try to enable it again.  My first attempt I had the game become unplayable.  Literally.  The character load screen went very low rez, just text showing, and the game wouldn't load.  I had to do some command-line launch shenanigans to revert to regular.  Until I am assured that this will not happen, I am not touching the DX-11 version.  I'm glad it's working fine for you and others but there's probably good reason to keep it in beta and optional.

• Like 5

I haven't had it enabled for the last month, but before that I had random texture changes, like the floor of the Lily of Elon going blood red. I also particularly had trouble with it with TacO on, sometimes to the point of crashing. Eventually I gave up and turned it off.

Prior to the most recent DX11 upgrade I was getting a lot of broken shaders/textures whenever I would portal to a new zone.  Also getting periodic DC at large meta events like Let-Line.  This recent update has fixed that.  

I would say if you haven’t used DX11 since the last update about a week ago, give it another try, it is very good now. 

However, there is at least one recurring issue that I can see where the graphics break for a few frames.  I can’t reliably replicate it, but it can occur for me when leaving water to land.  This happens once every day or two, and doesn’t cause the game to crash or lag, just a little blip where the textures disappear. 

It’s this type of outlier issues that I imagine they need to resolve before they can call it out of beta. 

• Like 3

On 3/31/2022 at 10:09 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

I haven't had it enabled for the last month, but before that I had random texture changes, like the floor of the Lily of Elon going blood red. I also particularly had trouble with it with TacO on, sometimes to the point of crashing. Eventually I gave up and turned it off.

that's fixed, but there are still some minor issues 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 2:39 AM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

Prior to the most recent DX11 upgrade I was getting a lot of broken shaders/textures whenever I would portal to a new zone.  Also getting periodic DC at large meta events like Let-Line.  This recent update has fixed that.  

I would say if you haven’t used DX11 since the last update about a week ago, give it another try, it is very good now. 

However, there is at least one recurring issue that I can see where the graphics break for a few frames.  I can’t reliably replicate it, but it can occur for me when leaving water to land.  This happens once every day or two, and doesn’t cause the game to crash or lag, just a little blip where the textures disappear. 

It’s this type of outlier issues that I imagine they need to resolve before they can call it out of beta. 

This was my experience too, I fixed it with a guide from another thread, had to delete local dat and the games cache. Did have to redo all the settings but never had a weird texture or crash after. Also since fresh instal on new PC its been great. Although has made me really aware how this game goes from rendering stuff to nothing in secods. One minute GPU is whining at 240 frames then its sitting there at 60 doing little.

As of right now dx11 has plenty major issues. It's missing a bunch of animations, for example.

If I and my partner log in our characters on systems sitting right next to each other with the exact same graphics settings outside of dx9 vs dx11 and play together on the same maps as each other, it really stands out. Loads of vegetation loses its animations which makes the world feel very "static" and "fake" looking, but no doubt contributes a lot to the 50%+ increased framerate.

It's especially noticeable if you log in side by side on two identical systems, with identical graphics settings, one in dx9 mode and one in dx11 mode, and go to the wvw borderlands, and run through the rows of crops by the south camp, in dx9 they sway in response to your character walking through them, whereas in dx11 they are completely static.

It's not even a hardware thing, as toggling between dx9 and dx11 causes it on any system I have tried it on so far.

Edited by Sunyavadin.7962
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sunyavadin.7962 said:

As of right now dx11 has plenty major issues. It's missing a bunch of animations, for example.

If I and my partner log in our characters on systems sitting right next to each other with the exact same graphics settings outside of dx9 vs dx11 and play together on the same maps as each other, it really stands out. Loads of vegetation loses its animations which makes the world feel very "static" and "fake" looking, but no doubt contributes a lot to the 50%+ increased framerate.

It's especially noticeable if you log in side by side on two identical systems, with identical graphics settings, one in dx9 mode and one in dx11 mode, and go to the wvw borderlands, and run through the rows of crops by the south camp, in dx9 they sway in response to your character walking through them, whereas in dx11 they are completely static.

It's not even a hardware thing, as toggling between dx9 and dx11 causes it on any system I have tried it on so far.

So what DX11 do to improve the game performance is by nerfing animations and texture quality? I believe this is so. In my guild hall, there is a huge net above my garden and whenever I sit on a bench under that net, the afternoon sun will cast a net shadow over me and the garden, it is beautiful. But that detailed net shadow is gone now with DX11. No matter how I adjust the graphic settings ie textures, shaders, shadows, etc I just couldn't get that net shadow back 😯 The net shadow has turned into a dark shadow patch. I suspected that the texture quality has been nerfed somehow and after reading this... 😑

Edited by Mil.3562