No names left, do we need to wait on GW3 to be able to play?

Hi,

What is the deal with names? I cant create a single character, there seems like that are no names left. 

Who wishes to name the character "xsalokhsjanlfkn"?

I mean there is no point in paying for a game that I cant create a character on? I haven't even had this bad experience with a full wow server as a comparison.

Do ArenaNet pure unused names or do I have to wait on Guild Wars 3? I tried more than 150 names so far, will this issue be fixed?

/Magnus

Edited by E3C4EF7E-2001-4311-9291-12E0BB18CEFF
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21
  • Confused 45
  • Sad 2

Guild Wars 2 allows spaces, meaning, near infinite possible combinations.

Try putting Sir as a title in front of the name, or "esteemed" or something.

Or, as the post above said... Time to get a bit more creative?

I wonder what names you tried that are all taken. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

I recommend puns. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Ah, Thank you,

I didn't know that spaces were allowed, problem solved. I did use a first and last name.

And.. yes I did try 150 names I did grab some random name lists from the net and just started at top of it. I become quite frustrated there 😄

/Magnus

Edited by E3C4EF7E-2001-4311-9291-12E0BB18CEFF
  • Like 15
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, E3C4EF7E-2001-4311-9291-12E0BB18CEFF said:

Hi,

What is the deal with names? I cant create a single character, there seems like that are no names left. 

Who wishes to name the character "xsalokhsjanlfkn"?

Mxyzptlk is a Superman villain. No vowels.

Xsalokh Sjanlf isn't a bad character name.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

3 hours ago, E3C4EF7E-2001-4311-9291-12E0BB18CEFF said:

Ah, Thank you,

I didn't know that spaces were allowed, problem solved. I did use a first and last name.

And.. yes I did try 150 names I did grab some random name lists from the net and just started at top of it. I become quite frustrated there 😄

/Magnus

Earlier today, I started a new alt and got the name I wanted on the first try. Got it by using a title, first name, and last name. It wouldn't have occurred to me that someone didn't know about using spaces and such. @Veprovina.4876, nice catch. Glad you were able to resolve the op's problem like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Earlier today, I started a new alt and got the name I wanted on the first try. Got it by using a title, first name, and last name. It wouldn't have occurred to me that someone didn't know about using spaces and such. @Veprovina.4876, nice catch. Glad you were able to resolve the op's problem like that.

Nice! Glad i could help! 🙂

• Like 1

Im glad I love my asurans! We have so many titles before and after the actual name. For example main is Magister Yuzza. Who is aligned with the Priory. Magister is latin for "Teacher" and "Philosphy". Im told Priory has a Magister rank. So that made it even better!

Oh and Yuzza is a word play on YUZZAH. Previously played on WoW. And you only get one name. Im so glad Arenanet allows first and last names! Alot less fustration!

:classic_blink:

Edited by ZENSTATE.6710
  • Like 1

Old problem many have complained about for years which only gets worse as more players come into the game.
Steam release should be fun 😄
"Downvoted the game, no names available"

I still believe Anet should remove this pointless name restriction and put more system focus on the unique account names everyone must have to play this game.
Mail and player reports etc should be attributed to the account name not the individual character.

There are no good reasons for character names to still be locked like this.
I have 24 characters who all loosely follow racial naming conventions.
Some of them, mostly some of my Sylvari have been a nightmare to name because of their singular name requirement.
They don't have last names, their names have to be singular or they don't work (no titles, markers or numbers.. I can't stand names like that) and they have to sound a certain way and fit a plant/elf person.

It's not impossible to still find names (I managed to get a good one a couple weeks ago) but i'd be lying if I said it was easily to find them.
I've spent literal hours trying to name some of my characters, exhausting countless names and combinations because everyone these days starts pulling up common naming websites looking for name inspiration.
And on a few occasions i've had to use a name change contract to replace a garbage name I hated but got stuck with because of the availability limits.

This is a problem in Gw2 and one that will only continue to grow as the population of the game does.. and I don't mean active population either as every inactive character on every inactive account contributes to it.

The solution is not to take other players names from them though, that's a conversation we've had many times and I have to agree that it's a bad option.
Removing the unnecessary name lock and allowing anyone to use any name they like even if another player is using it is by far the better option.
Hell it may even give new character slots a nice little bump in sales too.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

Only thing I wish ANet would do is allow the hyphen character.

Same rule as the space : cannot be first or last character, must have a letter on both sides.
Letter immediately following the hyphen can be either uppercase or lowercase though.

Sun-u
Gong-ya
Anna-Maria

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I still believe Anet should remove this pointless name restriction 

And what restriction is that?

The naming system is pretty unrestricted in GW2.

The only thing you can't do is symbols and i 100% agree with that so that i don't have to see names like |$$$c@sh(ow$$$|, and i only have to see the occasional xXxStupidnamexXx...

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, Veprovina.4876 said:

And what restriction is that?

The naming system is pretty unrestricted in GW2.

The only thing you can't do is symbols and i 100% agree with that so that i don't have to see names like |$$$c@sh(ow$$$|, and i only have to see the occasional xXxStupidnamexXx...

You mean Xxx Stupid Name Xxx 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 3