How rewarding is fishing

Zoid.2568

On 4/22/2022 at 8:10 AM, Haleydawn.3764 said:

I'm considering both! Lucky for the Echovald catches dropping Ambergris, and UNlucky for the Goldfish taking so long (although I think the catch chances for World Class fisher have been buffed slightly).

But, the topic of fishing not being rewarding enough, I think is untrue, it's quite rewarding for how easy it is.

If you're going to compare ease of the activity, it's probably worth pointing out rates from one method to the other. 

To be honest, the only time I found farming gold in this game was good, was when there was an activity I really enjoyed to continually farm it. To be clear, that method was shut down by Anet long ago by nerfing dungeon rewards and trying to force players into other aspects of the game. 

Fishing is nice and easy, but you are wasting your time playing the game and fishing to earn gold. Likewise, most of the meta events are a waste of your time. If you want to maximise gold per hour, you will either be logging off in between the best meta events, strenuously checking what is next, where to go, etc., or just find yourself quickly burnt out... I managed to grind Runescape gold farms for longer, let that sink in. 

You could sit at Drizzlewood, but I'm not one who finds open world meta trains fun in the slightest. Visually, it's a complete mess. There's no synergy between a load of random people scaling events, and it is not fun to watch. 

I'd like it if they increased the ambergris drop rate... The price would probably soon crash and level out, but so what? 

Edited by Animism.7530
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Animism.7530 said:

If you're going to compare ease of the activity, it's probably worth pointing out the level of difficulty you imply from one form of farming to the other. 

Fishing is nice and easy, but you are wasting your time playing the game and fishing to earn gold. Likewise, most of the meta events are a waste of your time. If you want to maximise gold per hour, you will either be logging off in between the best meta events, strenuously checking what is next, where to go, etc., or just find yourself quickly burnt out... I managed to grind Runescape gold farms for longer, let that sink in. 

Exactly. Fishing is nice and easy. There's a nifty little spreadsheet on Reddit to see maximum gold/hr achievable. So there really is something for everyone. However, as you mention, burnout is a thing, which is why rewards/time spent for easier activities must be balanced properly, burnout happens so much faster in easier activities. 

AGAIN, However, given many people's input on this thread, and my own experience, fishing and it's produce is not actually that bad gold/hr. See here and here.

Which is why many players, fish in between meta-events, because you can basically do both concurrently.

40 minutes ago, Animism.7530 said:

You could sit at Drizzlewood, but I'm not one who finds open world meta trains fun in the slightest. Visually, it's a complete mess. There's no synergy between a load of random people scaling events, and it is not fun to watch. 

I'm not a fan of running the same meta ad infinitum, like Drizzlewood. It's ok for one cycle, but I wont return unless I feel like doing it. Don't get me wrong, the gold/hr there is good but I don't like doing the same thing for 4+ hrs.

Edited by Haleydawn.3764
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Haleydawn.3764 said:

AGAIN, However, given many people's input on this thread, and my own experience, fishing and it's produce is not actually that bad gold/hr. See here and here.

I wouldn't use fast-farming's fishing stats as a credible source. Their sample size and fishing duration is abysmal for something RNG-related. 

40-60 samples per map and 13-24mins duration for fishing is not enough to extrapolate average gph from. Take it with a grain of salt. 

It would need a lot more data to be conclusive.

Hopefully we get more definitive research on it. It has personally been very profitable to me, but some hard data wouldn't hurt xD

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/fishing
To the people saying it is not rewarding, it is more rewarding than WVW or  EOD strikes / raids after the first time per week.

That said, I still hate fishing. Worst part of EOD IMO. I fished for all the EOD specialization collections and stopped.

after weapons specialization collection, its entirely skipable.

2 hours ago, Animism.7530 said:

Fishing is nice and easy, but you are wasting your time playing the game and fishing to earn gold.

If my sole reason for playing a game would be the amount of virtual play money I can earn in an hour's playtime, I would've stopped playing decades ago.

I like to measure my gametime in enjoyment per hour, and although I was sceptical of fishing before EoD, for me it has turned out to be a surprisingly fun thing to do to wind down after a day of work and family chores.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

If my sole reason for playing a game would be the amount of virtual play money I can earn in an hour's playtime, I would've stopped playing decades ago.

I like to measure my gametime in enjoyment per hour, and although I was sceptical of fishing before EoD, for me it has turned out to be a surprisingly fun thing to do to wind down after a day of work and family chores.

same here i was a "fishing hater".

1 hour ago, MonsterTeddy.6135 said:

I wouldn't use fast-farming's fishing stats as a credible source. Their sample size and fishing duration is abysmal for something RNG-related. 

40-60 samples per map and 13-24mins duration for fishing is not enough to extrapolate average gph from. Take it with a grain of salt. 

It would need a lot more data to be conclusive.

Hopefully we get more definitive research on it. It has personally been very profitable to me, but some hard data wouldn't hurt xD

The minutes listed there aren't "how much time we've spent to test it to gather data", it's "how long are we doing it before potentially changing spots and then rotating back later".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The rng can be funny. It’s taken me 40 casts to get the one “rare” catch of the day. During those 40 casts I reeled in several purple fish.

So far I haven’t intentionally pursued any of the achievements and they are all steadily progressing each time I go fishing for the daily catch. Trying to beeline for the glowy rod just looks like a recipe for guaranteed burnout.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

It's considerably less rare than the ESO counterpart you quoted in your OP. You even have ways to target-fish the ascended and legendary fish that can drop it by choosing the proper bait, fishing hole, and time of day. It's not guaranteed, but a lot more likely than your 13 per 10 hours, so I assume you didn't pay any attention to bait, fishing hole, or time of day.

There appears to be something messed up with the fishing RNG. I do fishing on two accounts. While trying to get the daily catch rare fish the other day, one one account I kept getting that fish while it took like an hour to catch one on the other account. I thought maybe it's an account thing but ... nope. Next day while doing the same the positions were swapped. Seen other people who ended up stuck on a specific fish as well.

After moving to a different map the issue seems to go away so that might be a simple way to deal with it if it shows up.

21 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Huh?  You said that it was more rewarding than WvW and strikes/raids. I replied that that wasn’t a high threshold to pass. Obviously I was taking a shot at the rewards of those parts of the game. 

Anything is more rewardable than doing those things.. Standing in LA chatting is more rewardable than WvW or raiding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Even if it would be the most rewarding activity in-game, I still won't play it anymore because it's boring and full of problems: the catching buff easily lost by various means (map closing/skiff being destroyed and unable to respawn in time), the 5 min dusk/dawn time window, saltwater fishes being a pain to catch.

Edited by Zaraki.5784
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2022 at 2:33 PM, Witch of Steam.5138 said:

It's Not rewarding. 

The fact they put 2 fishing rod skins in the gemstore only 1 month after releasing EoD, while at the same time making the only reward for fishing being a skin that's worse looking, pretty much sums up fishing.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The minutes listed there aren't "how much time we've spent to test it to gather data", it's "how long are we doing it before potentially changing spots and then rotating back later".

This is not correct. As listed on their page it is  "The duration is an estimate for one rotation cycle".

They show the exact route they took on the map when you click on an entry. This is one rotation cycle. If you change spots you wouldn't have the 875 fishing power they list (unless you stay on the same map and be quick with getting out your skiff). You need to fish quite some time to reach this 875 when you start fresh on a map unless you find another fisher from whom you could copy the buff.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ok, so I spent the last hour (1hr 3mins according to gw2 efficiencies Farming Tracker) fishing, finishing 3 collections I had on the go (Avid Kryta - fished in Harathi, Avid Ring of Fire - fished in Ember Bay, and Avid Desert Isle - fished in Sandswept isle).

I paused the tracker to map swap only and fished in each zone, using +150 food and the correct bait for the Legendary fish for that time of day, until my collections filled and completed those 3. I did not use my skimmer to make travel faster.

The Avid collections for completion awarded Ambergris, (Kryta - 3, Ring of Fire - 2, and Desert Isle - 2) for a total of 7 Ambergris for just finishing these collections. I got a further 10 Ambergris just from the fish I converted.

According to the tracker, for this hour (and 3 mins), I made 43g 77s 28c in materials.

I'll be doing the same for my next collections I start (and hopefully finish) but I'll track for at least an hour. Will post results as soon as I've done that.

EDIT:

Desert Fisher (I didn't finish the collection) - Crystal Oasis - 1hr (overlapping day to night) - 23g 56s (after taking a break until in-game daytime, I then spent a further 30mins fishing here to get my last fish for the collection, which I didn't catch, netting another 16g 46s).

Edited by Haleydawn.3764
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Haleydawn.3764 said:

Ok, so I spent the last hour (1hr 3mins according to gw2 efficiencies Farming Tracker) fishing, finishing 3 collections I had on the go (Avid Kryta - fished in Harathi, Avid Ring of Fire - fished in Ember Bay, and Avid Desert Isle - fished in Sandswept isle).

I paused the tracker to map swap only and fished in each zone, using +150 food and the correct bait for the Legendary fish for that time of day, until my collections filled and completed those 3. I did not use my skimmer to make travel faster.

The Avid collections for completion awarded Ambergris, (Kryta - 3, Ring of Fire - 2, and Desert Isle - 2) for a total of 7 Ambergris for just finishing these collections. I got a further 10 Ambergris just from the fish I converted.

According to the tracker, for this hour (and 3 mins), I made 43g 77s 28c in materials.

I'll be doing the same for my next two collections I start (and hopefully finish) but I'll track for at least an hour. Will post results as soon as I've done that.

Collections are not repeatable.. or are they?

• Haha 1

I spent about 2.5 hours fishing to complete the collection for an elite spec weapon last night and got about 1.5 gold out of it. I spent a bit, not sure exactly how much but more than that, on food and such.  So fishing was a net loss for me other than getting the needed item for a collection.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Oopahla.3269 said:

This is not correct. As listed on their page it is  "The duration is an estimate for one rotation cycle".

They show the exact route they took on the map when you click on an entry. This is one rotation cycle. If you change spots you wouldn't have the 875 fishing power they list (unless you stay on the same map and be quick with getting out your skiff). You need to fish quite some time to reach this 875 when you start fresh on a map unless you find another fisher from whom you could copy the buff.

...that's what I said? 🤨

• Confused 1