Is there any purpose to Fishing...?

18 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

No... i give up its such a mess. I'm so sick of getting the same fish over and over.. Also what the point in making it so hardcore?

You can read up, under each achievement's fishing list, which fish requires what type of bait as well as where it can be caught and at what time of day. I managed to finish all region achievements in one weekend.

18 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Trying to get the little yellow thing to keep up the little blue randomly moving thing is inane and its got to be exact.. even if its off by a hair its a loss, the devs that created this mess need to be fired, or the people who instructed the devs to make it like this need to go.

Horrible mess. Another useless waste of code to avoid.

Hmm, I would dare to say that people with average reflexes shouldn't have a problem with this at all. :classic_huh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Sarius.9285 said:

nah, I'll just buy that. But I can't buy the kitten Elite Spec weapon that I've been farming for 3 weeks now lol

Ah, thats true, the legendary weapons arent locked behind fishing because you can buy them directly. Although that honestly further cements my view that fishing is not essential to the game and can be skipped if you dislike it. 

Are there elite spec weapons that require fishing? i didn't know that. Interesting, another thing I can add to my master list of fishing related content.

That said, elite spec weapons are optional weapons, and don't have as much value as legendary weapons. In my opinion locking them behind fishing doesn't have a significant impact on the game, because they are essentially unique skins that you don't really need. You can get the same stats from many other weapons in game.

For this though id still give the same advice I gave for the legendaries, if you want something that requires you to play content you dislike, just do it until you get what you want. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s a pointless system that was added because A.) people kept asking for it and B.) they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for mastery tracks to add in EoD. Oh, and to add another grind towards getting legendary weapons.

Basically, something that can be ignored by 99% of the community with nothing lost from it.

EoD masteries feel so much more pointless after what we got in PoF.

Edited by Zeph.5927
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

Its not really that "hardcore", its actually pretty normal for most video games I've played that have fishing in it. ...if you think this is hardcore... I legit honestly don't know what to say. Forget Raids, forget Fractals even, have you ever been in a simple Dungeon?

Hey, each to their own, we all like different rewards. Some of these im into, others im not.

Yes i have done many dungeons, mostly early ones. Never liked them and hate rinse repeat fractals. The rewards never equal the trouble required to get through them time and effort wise.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zeph.5927 said:

It’s a pointless system that was added because A.) people kept asking for it and B.) they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for mastery tracks to add in EoD. Oh, and to add another grind towards getting legendary weapons.

Basically, something that can be ignored by 99% of the community with nothing lost from it.

EoD masteries feel so much more pointless after what we got in PoF.

Honestly at this point GW2 feels like a pretty complete game feature wise, at least in terms of open world PvE, there's not much they can add that would really significantly mix things up. Thus they turn their attention to the minor things, that are not major game changing shake ups, but add alternative ways to move about the map and explore, alternative things to do and interact with. Little touch ups, that individually are not much, but collectively make the game more intricate. Some people will appreciate these little things, others wont. But at such a point GW2 becomes a mature product, and you have to realize, this is GW2, its not gonna change much, and decided if you like it for what it is. I honestly think that's the stage this game is entering.

By that I don't mean to say the game is ending soon, there will be more content, more maps, more enemies, and story, but i don't expect continuous game changing features. 

Edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is there any point in playing this game, is there any point living, you will die and all you remember will be gone and all you did is irrelevant. Dude, just live your life and live what you like. You can ignore the rest. I am pretty sure though there will be some additional stuff to fishing in the future.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

Honestly at this point GW2 feels like a pretty complete game feature wise, at least in terms of open world PvE, there's not much they can add that would really significantly mix things up. Thus they turn their attention to the minor things, that are not major game changing shake ups, but add alternative ways to move about the map and explore, alternative things to do and interact with. Little touch ups, that individually are not much, but collectively make the game more intricate. Some people will appreciate these little things, others wont. But at such a point GW2 becomes a mature product, and you have to realize, this is GW2, its not gonna change much, and decided if you like it for what it is. I honestly think that's the stage this game is entering.

By that I don't mean to say the game is ending soon, there will be more content, more maps, more enemies, and story, but i don't expect continuous game changing features. 

I'm thinking they are gonna tweak stuff, probably add more QoL stuff, in prep for the Steam release. See what happened with the inventory buttons, TP tweaks, this and that.

Edited by EerieLnu.3789
additional content
  • Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 3:01 PM, Tukaram.8256 said:

It was supposed to be fun and as they said "kick back and relax"... but they made it a mini-game instead.  I do not know if the rewards are any good, but it is not what I would call fun.  I was really looking forward to fishing too... oh well... such is life. 😎

Yeah but let's be honest if they did just make it to a "Press F" interaction, lots of people wouldn't of been happy paying for a new expansion just for one of the selling points to be "hurdur F"

I wanted a mini game, I'm not thrilled with the one we got, I wanted a big, more expansive mini game honestly

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/2/2022 at 3:16 PM, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

Is there any point in playing this game, is there any point living, [...]

Okay, first of: I'm not a native speaker. Perhaps "Is there a point to...?" wasn't the best way to phrase my question. I merely wanted to know whether there was any other purpose to the fish caught other than achievements and cooking fishing buff food.

But thanks for your input anyway. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I just like to fish. I don't even want the skin or anything else that it gives. I just fish. That's pretty much the only thing I've done in game for weeks now. I'm hooked! 😄

And no this is not a joke or sarcasm. I really like floating on my boat and just fish. It's relaxing and that is what games are supposed to be.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 5/3/2022 at 6:20 AM, Aridon.8362 said:

If you really asked me the ambergris and sly profit you make from it would be the most useful part about it. Not much else tbh.

The mini-game is fun tbh and thats why most do it. People that just want to farm by fishing but doesn't like the mini-game wont do it for long, they burn out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Zoid.2568 said:

The mini-game is fun tbh and thats why most do it. People that just want to farm by fishing but doesn't like the mini-game wont do it for long, they burn out.

If you are good with twitch like game play it might be but for me no it isn't.. i personally just tried it hated it and moved on.. i luckily bought some keys and had enough fish for my turtle.

I will probably never bother with fishing again.

And i wont even waste the masteries on it.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Zoid.2568 said:

I actually like the mini-game, I just find the achievements to be a drag*, which is why I was curious whether it was of any use in the long run.

*) The Saltwater Fisher and the World Class Fisher achievements are a pain in the behind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Ashantara.8731 changed the title to Is there any purpose to Fishing...?

these mini games aren't suppose to be something else to do by them selves. they are suppose to be tied into the main game. Otherwise they should nix any future attempts at this old definiton of mini game.

Fishing should be more tied into guild wars 2 not a stand alone game. My idea of a mini game is raiding. It's a game with in a game only it's more tied into guild wars 2. This is how they should of thought about fishing.

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2022 at 1:01 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

People begged for fishing.  They got fishing.  I didn't ask for fishing, but I like fishing.  I like the mini game, it's something to do besides sit and stare.  Uses...food of course, need it for legi crafting...turn in the catch of the day for an easy daily ambergris, add a little turtle to your home instance, sell mats to other players, something to do while waiting for other events.  We'll see if they add more in the future.  Could you skip it entirely, sure.  Some people don't craft at all, some people don't farm.

i never sit and stare when i fish in other games. I always sat and opened another window and stare at the movie i was watching well I semi paid attention to if i hear the bobber pop up or not. 😄 The way they designed fishing in gw2 TOTALLY RUINED my hopes and dreams of having  chillax fishing fun added to the game. 😞 This is NOT what i wanted and i was in the vocal minority for bringing fishing to the game before they started to designed it.

BEFORE: "a mini game sure that sounds fun" .... AFTER "oh wait no not this wtbleep!"

a simple way to find out what players want might be to have an ingame login pop up link to a survey. 😄 not everyone uses the forums/ twitter/ reddit.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Kelly.7019 said:

i never sit and stare when i fish in other games. I always sat and opened another window and stare at the movie i was watching well I semi paid attention to if i hear the bobber pop up or not. 😄 The way they designed fishing in gw2 TOTALLY RUINED my hopes and dreams of having  chillax fishing fun added to the game. 😞 This is NOT what i wanted and i was in the vocal minority for bringing fishing to the game before they started to designed it.

BEFORE: "a mini game sure that sounds fun" .... AFTER "oh wait no not this wtbleep!"

a simple way to find out what players want might be to have an ingame login pop up link to a survey. 😄 not everyone uses the forums/ twitter/ reddit.

I can see your view, I'm accustomed to the same thing in other games.  I like the slider, I like having something to do.  I feel like they were trying to keep people from doing exact what you are talking about, half paying attention, watching something else, etc.  They achieved that.  In my experience, people complain about that in other games...too mind numbingly boring.  Don't think there's a good solution that would make everyone happy.  

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2022 at 4:31 AM, Kelly.7019 said:

Totally agree.

Although i did not ask for fishing.. Personally if i want to go fishing i'd go real life fishing.. Not whatever this virtual thing is.

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:32 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

I feel like they were trying to keep people from doing exact what you are talking about, half paying attention, watching something else, etc.

I'd say Anet should try and stop people from doing that in everything else in the game rather than irrelevant fishing.

Then again, I guess you can't just butt in and sit there while other players do the fishing and then you get the same rewards for their effort.

• Haha 1