I see now the obvious reason why a Class change feature is not offered in the gem store........

A good portion of the playerbase for each of the neglected professions : elementalist-warrior-mesmer-ranger.....would simply switch to guardian-necromancer , the main reason why you still the current number of ele, wars, mesmers, rangers ...is because people made one and kept it for years and they can't simply delete that toon because of all the gold, tears and frustration poured into them up to this point. A class change would make the skewed balance, all that more obvious to external audiences who would see nothing more than the 2-3 professions being played everywhere...and on the other side, the playerbase already abusing the skewed balance....doesn't want the situation to become that much more clear than it already is.

Still...the lack of time didn't stop me from starting all the stupid LS for a 3rd time on guardian......I hate it that I am forced to do so..but for my own sanity I have to do that, the blue class is too good everywhere...at everything , most played class for a reason....and first and foremost....it never get nerfed like the forgotten professions....it's a done deal once you make a guardian, sure it'd be great to have directly a Class change on the gemstore for whatever the price but...neither the company ..or the playerbase have the guts to allow that and I have already explained why......sad indeed....this is definitely not the same game studio which made GW1....no chance...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

A good portion of the playerbase for each of the neglected professions : elementalist-warrior-mesmer-ranger....

lol what

the main reason why you still the current number of ele, wars, mesmers, rangers ...is because people made one and kept it for years and they can't simply delete that toon

By default there's more than 1 character slot per account, not even counting the possibility of buying more of those. If someone would be willing to pay for a class change (for a price that doesn't automatically dismiss what can already be bought for gems, like character slot, WP unlocks, level boosts and so on), then there's no reason to believe those players can't somehow buy another character slot to play yet another class.

Not only that, but if people "kept a character for years" then they have already level boosts available for their new characters.

Overally... what you've just said doesn't seem true at all.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

Interesting interpretation. As other people have said even free accounts gets 2 character slots, paid accounts start with 5 and both can buy more in the gem store so it's pretty unlikely anyone is "stuck" playing one of the professions you disapprove of because they can't make a different one. I think most players, especially on the forum, have multiple characters and many have at least 1 of each profession. Once you've levelled up 1 character it gets easier to level a second (especially since you get tomes of knowledge from login rewards).

I have 1 of each profession and a second elementalist and engineer, and I mainly play ranger, elementalist and engineer because they're the ones I enjoy most. I haven't found anything I can't do using those professions and I've never had a group ask me to switch to guardian.

Finally even if you've decided the guardian is the best profession for your playstyle and it's the one you want to use everywhere you don't have to repeat the entire story on that profession unless you want to. Each Living World episode and expansion is a stand-alone release, so you can play the ones you're interested in without going through the previous ones.

• Like 1

There seems to be any actual point to this post other than some rant about guardians. Ummm I've done the entire story and all the maps and beyond on the "neglected" ranger profession...it wasn't hard.  Guess revenant (my current favorite) and engineer don't even rate lol.   Also next time you're need a port, might wonder where those little pink/purple circles are coming from.....there seems to be no shortage.  I guess if you just like to faceroll on the keyboard *shrug*

Note: I do enjoy playing my guardian too, great fun but love the other professions as well.  I do feel required to play it because of nerfs or changes.

So you're not forced to do anything.  It's just you or your play style.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Many of us have level 80 Guardians and Necromancers as nothing more than character select decorations. I really love how my Guardian looks, but even Willbender feels like rigor mortis after playing Thief.

I could play the "Meta" classes but my skill isn't meta level anyway.

Warrior definitely needs love though. It's far too bland to even be called the ugly duckling of Anet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

A good portion of the playerbase for each of the neglected professions : elementalist-warrior-mesmer-ranger.....would simply switch to guardian-necromancer , the main reason why you still the current number of ele, wars, mesmers, rangers ...is because people made one and kept it for years and they can't simply delete that toon because of all the gold, tears and frustration poured into them up to this point. A class change would make the skewed balance, all that more obvious to external audiences who would see nothing more than the 2-3 professions being played everywhere...and on the other side, the playerbase already abusing the skewed balance....doesn't want the situation to become that much more clear than it already is.

Still...the lack of time didn't stop me from starting all the stupid LS for a 3rd time on guardian......I hate it that I am forced to do so..but for my own sanity I have to do that, the blue class is too good everywhere...at everything , most played class for a reason....and first and foremost....it never get nerfed like the forgotten professions....it's a done deal once you make a guardian, sure it'd be great to have directly a Class change on the gemstore for whatever the price but...neither the company ..or the playerbase have the guts to allow that and I have already explained why......sad indeed....this is definitely not the same game studio which made GW1....no chance...

I totally agree with you, engineer sucks the only thing that's saving it is the new elite skill mechanist and because you can play healer and support with the scrapper skills. Sadly this will probably not change because the reason for this is to grab more cash from you if you really want to fully unlock the content of the game.

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

There seems to be any actual point to this post other than some rant about guardians. Ummm I've done the entire story and all the maps and beyond on the "neglected" ranger profession...it wasn't hard. 

I find my condi soulbeast to be one of the most comfortable characters to play but I don't really have any issues on any of the classes either ...

• Like 1

Just now, Khisanth.2948 said:

I find my condi soulbeast to be one of the most comfortable characters to play but I don't really have any issues on any of the classes either ...

I agree, I enjoy playing soulbeast and haven't found the other ones especially difficult, just different. I don't feel the need to have the absolute meta or to fear nerfs so much that I won't play what I like.

11 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

A good portion of the playerbase for each of the neglected professions : elementalist-warrior-mesmer-ranger.....would simply switch to guardian-necromancer

It's very easy to switch classes right now. People who get sick of something or start to believe the grass is greener on the other side of the fence (not arguing that they're always wrong — sometimes it is!) switch mains all the time.

What's the reference point for your gripe?

PvE? I'm not sure why you're including mesmer in this list. Mesmer is legit good and highly desired in end-game PvE. All the high-end swag is account bound so "sunsetting" one character in favor of another isn't really that expensive. With portal tomes and mounts and lots of free TP-to-friends, you don't even need to redo story to get access to the most important spots for farming or OW metas. Also the game purposefully encourages long-term players to get some alts by including free XP scrolls and such in your account-birthday gifts.

WvW? WvW is constantly handing you free upgrades for your alts. I have like 1000 Tomes of Knowledge just sitting around, and tons of those Heroics things for unlocking elite specs as well.

SPvP? SPvP just unlocks everything for you immediately, if you have a character slot (or can free up a character slot) then you're all set for SPvP.

• Like 2

Is this a competitive complaint that I'm too PvE to understand?

On a serious note, I mostly picked the classes around what fits the characters the most, considering I do mostly roleplaying.

Granted the lack of some generic or specific kind of combat makes it difficult to  make certain characters, but that's mostly on me.

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2022 at 2:32 AM, Arheundel.6451 said:

....this is definitely not the same game studio which made GW1....no chance...

This has been true basically since before launch. It's a kitten shame, too. But to be fair, GW1's skill system was an absolute balancing nightmare for the devs. The 'meta' was constantly changing, so a lot of skills had to get constantly tweaked to prevent certain game-breaking skill combinations (SF eles, bloodspikers, 55 monk/necro to name a few).

Having said that, I agree that there are lots of 'neglected' classes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1