Would you buy a premium voice pack to liven up your fighting and idling?

replace all of your battle grunts, yells, emote noises, ect with a new voice.  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy premium voice packs, like you buy armor skins?

• Yes, will pay!
    • No, no interest
    • interested, but would never spend gold or gems.

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

And a poll designed to manipulate participants and skew results does not benefit ANet.

I am still confused by this.  I present voice packs as a good thing, I genuinely think that they would be.  I do believe that voice packs would be entertaining or "liven up battle or idle chatting" I suggest that they could buy voice packs in the gem store like they buy armor skins, I intend that as well.  I genuinly want to know who would buy voice packs, who doesn't want voice packs at all and the last one who wants voice packs but wouldn't want to spend time (gold) or money (gems) to get them.  The poll seems to be worded to gather the information that I want.  It should inform me if I have a popular idea, and it should inform Anet if it is a popular idea.  What information would you want regarding voice packs? What choices have I failed to list?  What choices could balance the poll and reduce bias?  You suggest that I am missing valuable information, I am having trouble seeing that.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
reduce bias
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Any forum poll does not represent a large enough sample size of the entire player population to be valid.  Should never have polls on the forum in the first place.

I view polls as a limited way for lurkers to give their opinion.  Many are not confident enough to write their opinions, but an anonymous poll seems to work just fine.  If we had better emojis I would gladly use those instead.  However the current emojis seem lacking. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I view polls as a limited way for lurkers to give their opinion.  Many are not confident enough to write their opinions, but an anonymous poll seems to work just fine.  If we had better emojis I would gladly use those instead.  However the current emojis seem lacking. 

Look on the bright side with the emojis. Someone is getting a good chuckle today!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Still doesn't make a valid sampling, so whatever responses you get from such polls will not be real data.  It's moot.

• Confused 4

That seems like a huge cost of resources on multiple fronts for something that most players won't have any interest in so it would never break even with the cost, let alone end up profitable. Yes profits aren't everything but MMOs are limited in how much they can invest in areas that won't ever see a return in value, be it monetary, player engagement, or player interest, because they need to appeal to the majority while also pumping out content (which also requires resources) to keep the game active instead of in maintenance mode. If something is a no in all 3, being a passion project that doesn't need a team is the only hope it has.

A better option, imo, would be to expand on the existing player customized music system to allow players to have the game use custom files for events that trigger a voice line (getting a boon, getting a debuff, getting a rare item, etc.). Though that also would be work and assumes that system isn't held together by bubblegum, duct tape, and hope given how I don't think it's been touched since launch and it's possible the person most familiar with it isn't with the company anymore given how long it's been.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Goettel.4389 said:

You mean people actually play with unmuted (self) dialog? Huh..

The dialogue is how I'm even able to play the game.  You can play this game blind because there are so many audio cues and audio feedback of what's going on.

As for the topic, I'd rather ArenaNet fix the audio cue/feedback system first.  So many times sounds don't even trigger when they should.  I know the other players can see that they're on fire, but I won't know until my character says so.  A lot of times, when multiple sounds trigger simultaneously, a lot of them won't actually play.  I'd prefer if they all play as they trigger.  Though, I understand most every other player may find it confusing.  

Changing the sound isn't something I'd be interested in paying for. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Any forum poll does not represent a large enough sample size of the entire player population to be valid.  Should never have polls on the forum in the first place.

Any forum post does not represent a large enough sample size of the entire player population to be valid. Should never have forums in the first place.

See how that works? Let people discuss things; I promise it's not hurting anything.

To OP: I'm not interested in premium voice packs (I often play with sound off and music going), but I'd really enjoy premium animation packs. Champions Online had a system called 'stances' which were part of character creation and determined the animations your character would use while walking, idling, or running (combat remained the same across stances as I recall). I'd probably get a lot more mileage out of something like that than I would with audio swap outs.

That side, I wouldn't mind if they added a pitch slider to character creation for people to add further personalization to their characters. That seems like it'd take less effort and $ than recording entirely new voice lines, but that's of course just a guess.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Any forum post does not represent a large enough sample size of the entire player population to be valid. Should never have forums in the first place.

See how that works? Let people discuss things; I promise it's not hurting anything.

That's not even remotely close in comparison. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

I'd rather the resources be spent providing more than one voice actor for each gender/race for cutscenes and everything so that we can have a choice in how we want our characters to sound. That's a pipe dream though, I know. 

Edited by DragonMoon.6098
  • Haha 1

This was made because of my earlier suggestion to adapt the female asura ranger, wasn't it?

Because I'd consider this idea just for her. I want the female asura to be at least half as caring as the male asura when interacting with ranger pets. Just feels bland and boring when they talk like pets are just toys. Because by that logic, the male ones wouldn't bother being as caring for their pets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

The comment you replied to identifies the deficiency of a forum poll, which is statistical information, as a sole basis for deriving conclusions.    This is not a statement of opinion representative of any population.   It is mere statement of fact.

Your retort attempts to utilize the above argument against itself.  This does not work.  The above argument is not a statistical sample set, so your argument of its effectiveness as a statistical sample set is .... meaningless.  

Instead, you should have argued that a forum poll is sufficient as an initiator of informal discourse of a particular topic, wherein opinions may be expressed for the mere sake of sharing opinions.  This is an effective argument.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

The comment you replied to identifies the deficiency of a forum poll, which is statistical information, as a sole basis for deriving conclusions.

Nah, the comment I replied to is an attempt to shut down a conversation on the basis that not enough people are participating and therefore it (the poll/the thread) has no value which really isn't for a single poster on a video game forum to decide. Further, the comment said the forum should never have had polls, which is about as silly as saying that because most people who play the game don't use the forum, we should never have had a forum. The ridiculous nature of both remarks is what makes them similar; it's not deep.

The thread is about a feature the OP would like added to the game, and it's already well understood that the purpose of the poll is to get a vague idea of how the forum feels about it. Attempting to downplay the 'validity' of the poll and crusade against forum polls altogether without remarking on the OP's idea is just an effort to distract from the topic and it deserved to be pointed out for the misdirection it is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Nah, the comment I replied to is an attempt to shut down a conversation on the basis that not enough people are participating and therefore it (the poll/the thread) has no value which really isn't for a single poster on a video game forum to decide. Further, the comment said the forum should never have had polls, which is about as silly as saying that because most people who play the game don't use the forum, we should never have had a forum. The ridiculous nature of both remarks is what makes them similar; it's not deep.

The thread is about a feature the OP would like added to the game, and it's already well understood that the purpose of the poll is to get a vague idea of how the forum feels about it. Attempting to downplay the 'validity' of the poll and crusade against forum polls altogether without remarking on the OP's idea is just an effort to distract from the topic and it deserved to be pointed out for the misdirection it is.

If you read my entire post, you'd understand that I already made your point in your second paragraph.  As far as your first paragraph, you're adding words that were never said.

6 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

The comment you replied to identifies the deficiency of a forum poll, which is statistical information, as a sole basis for deriving conclusions.    This is not a statement of opinion representative of any population.   It is mere statement of fact.

This is true, because a forum poll only contains data from a subset of a subset of the player population.  Only those players that use the forums, and of those, only players willing to participate in the poll, is the statistical set.  This is not, in any way, representative of the player population.  The foregoing facts are fundamental in statistics and are taught in any high-school level statistics course.

Your retort attempts to utilize the above argument against itself.  This does not work.  The above argument is not a statistical sample set, so your argument of its effectiveness as a statistical sample set is .... meaningless.  

This is true because you are attempting to use the aforementioned facts to invalidate itself.  It does not invalidate itself.

Instead, you should have argued that a forum poll is sufficient as an initiator of informal discourse of a particular topic, wherein opinions may be expressed for the mere sake of sharing opinions.  This is an effective argument.

This is true, and what you are pointing out in your second paragraph.  Ergo, both the statement that the poll is not representative of the player population, and the statement that the poll is useful to initiate a forum dialogue, are true.  They are not mutually exclusive.

This entire concept is important to keep in mind, so that no one will try to argue that the poll is useful for knowing what the players want.  It is not useful in that regard.  It is only useful for knowing how the players in this specific thread feel.

Even then, it is not 100 percent accurate:

On 5/19/2022 at 9:44 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

The bias in  how the question was phrased encouraged me to say no.

4 posts in and the poll is already inaccurate for how the players in this specific thread actually feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, JayHog.3280 said:

This was made because of my earlier suggestion to adapt the female asura ranger, wasn't it?

Because I'd consider this idea just for her. I want the female asura to be at least half as caring as the male asura when interacting with ranger pets. Just feels bland and boring when they talk like pets are just toys. Because by that logic, the male ones wouldn't bother being as caring for their pets.

Your thread was the inspiration yes. 
Though I figured changing the voice of individual characters would be too difficult.  An account wide audio replacer seemed easier to implement. Just have a set of files override the original. 
If they went that route then anyone could record lines and plugin their own audio.  I figured Anet wouldn't want people streaming their game with unapproved soundbites, so an official vetting process would be needed.
The most basic version would be the standard: "any audio submitted to Anet becomes the property of Anet" clause.

No. I rarely play with the sound on at all.  Also I do not buy skins... so I may not be the target demographic.

What I would rather see is a skip button  for the ridiculously long cut-scenes. blah. blah, blah, shut up and let's get on with the monster bashing. 😎

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Your thread was the inspiration yes. 
Though I figured changing the voice of individual characters would be too difficult.  An account wide audio replacer seemed easier to implement. Just have a set of files override the original. 
If they went that route then anyone could record lines and plugin their own audio.  I figured Anet wouldn't want people streaming their game with unapproved soundbites, so an official vetting process would be needed.
The most basic version would be the standard: "any audio submitted to Anet becomes the property of Anet" clause.

This and because it can be confusing if you're in a fight and 10 asura just happen to share the same voice acting and half the times, same dialogue. Is it you talking or is it the engineer next to you talking?

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

I would love a 'dunce cap' emoji and bring back the 'thumbs down' as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Blude.6812 said:

I would love a 'dunce cap' emoji and bring back the 'thumbs down' as well.

I suppose the Dunce cap is the opposite of the thanks emoji(trophy)
I suggest the general prohibition symbol (red circle with a red line through it)

The thumbs down button is essential and should never have been removed.  the confused emoji isn't specific enough unless there is also an emoji that means no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JayHog.3280 said:

This and because it can be confusing if you're in a fight and 10 asura just happen to share the same voice acting and half the times, same dialogue. Is it you talking or is it the engineer next to you talking?

Actually I was expecting it to replace all sound bites for a race gender combination, yours, npcs, and other players. (in your case all female asura would still have the same voice, it just wouldn't be the default voice.)  That wouldn't  solve the multiple asura voice confusion, but it would be simple.  Of course if they could replace just the player's character's sound bites that would be better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes i would, Felicia Day Voice pack or Other Asura, the male Asura one can be very annoying.

Lord Faren Voice pack?

Also a forum poll is useless here because the Forum is full of people against Gem purchasing (i don't really understand the hate personally because its what pays for the game), the in game population is not the same as here.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2