Thank you ANet, but...?

First of all, thanks for giving us LWS1 for free, however rrrr; and here comes the buuuuuut...

Remind me, why am I doing this again?

So, here's the little back story to this question.

I only got so far as doing that bit in Lion's Arch hidden cave, where you have to cross the electrical field.

I tried about 20 times, and failed.

So it got me thinking. 

If I'm not getting anything of much value here, except listening and a lot more reading from Npcs.

No Mastery points, no ascended gear, etc...

Why bother?

As I said, Thank you so very much.

At least for storyline value,  and I don't want to sound ungreatful; so for that reason, I cannot apologise enough.

The story is blimming boring man.

I cannot find a single reason why I should continue this, if it gets even harder with no particular reason other than to watch a side story.

Anyways, so, for this post not to sound like a rant, here's my constructive criticism. 

● Please add Mastery Points rewards at the end of each chapter. (2 so far) ✴✴

● Please make it so some bits, such as that said electrical field, is either disabled after dying a certain number of times, in order to be able to continue the story, but you get a reward for being able to do it without activating this safe mode.

Some of us suffer from low fps and crappy controls wich makes it a nightmare to deal with this sort of thing.

Side note : That's why i don't do fractals.

Ok. I think that's all I've got for this.

But if you think that this stuff is to old to get changed in any way, and we're getting it for free afterall. 

Then, well, thanks anyways, and please ignore this post.

I suppose that I just got frustrated with that part of the story and not been able to carry on further.

Thanks for reading anyways.

PS, if there's a way around that electrical field, I surely would like to know... or... do other players think that it's not worth the hassle?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 16
  • Sad 1

yea, that story isn't going to be that amazing, considering we already know what happens next and the end of it all.

Pretty sure most people just do it for some pothole fixes, like who are Dragons Watch, etc. and the achievements, especially that mysterious Meta Achievement 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You don't have to do story instances solo. You could ask someone else (up to 4 other people) to do the Aetherblade base with you and once they get to the end they can disable the electrical field (the controls are in the little house directly opposite the end of the path) so you can get past.

I agree it would make sense for them to add mastery points since you get them from the personal story and Season 2, but it wouldn't make a difference for me (and I suspect for several other long-term players) because I've already got all the central Tyria masteries unlocked and some extra points.

As for why I'm doing it for me it's mainly for the story, but I've also gotten some new skins from the achievements. I know GW2 isn't the greatest story ever written, but I enjoy it and I like that for the first time in years I'll be able to play through the entire thing in order. (I'm hoping they'll add the Southsun storyline back in as well, so it will actually be complete.) I've never felt like Fractals were a good substitute, they're too short and in some cases quite different (anyone who only knows the Tower of Nightmares from the Fractal is in for a surprise). I'd noticed all the paths over the water in the Aetherblade boss fractal when getting items for the Ad Infinitum collection and wondered why it was there, I'd completely forgotten it used to be part of the dungeon. It's the same with the Molten Facility, I knew they'd cut stuff out to fit it into 2 Fractals, but I'd forgotten how much was missing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I asked the question why before I even got started. Still haven't got a good answer to that, so I'm not gonna bother.

I suppose that for Anet it's a resource-friendly way of giving us more "content", but I'm just waiting for the LS6 chapters really. They won't come out till next year now because this LS1 stuff is getting in the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

If you don't like the story, don't do the story. Unlike other MMOs, anet doesn't force you to do story stuff. I like the story, so I do it.  This isn't complicated. Also, what electrical field? The one on the ground where you have to just casually walk to the squares that aren't going to kill you? People have trouble with that?

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

If you don't like the story, don't do the story. Unlike other MMOs, anet doesn't force you to do story stuff. I like the story, so I do it.  This isn't complicated. Also, what electrical field? The one on the ground where you have to just casually walk to the squares that aren't going to kill you? People have trouble with that?

It can be difficult to do with lag because then everything is slightly out of synch. You see the squares changing after the server says it happened, so you have less time to move, and where you think your character is and where the server thinks they are may not line up, so while you think you're on the safe spot the game may think you've gone slightly too far (or not far enough).

Any mistakes will put you back at the beginning, so if it's a consistent problem (rather than an odd lag spike) it can be frustrating, especially if that sort of puzzle isn't something you like to do in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It can be difficult to do with lag because then everything is slightly out of synch. You see the squares changing after the server says it happened, so you have less time to move, and where you think your character is and where the server thinks they are may not line up, so while you think you're on the safe spot the game may think you've gone slightly too far (or not far enough).

Any mistakes will put you back at the beginning, so if it's a consistent problem (rather than an odd lag spike) it can be frustrating, especially if that sort of puzzle isn't something you like to do in the first place.

It can help to play a class with a blink/teleport/shadowstep so that you can bypass having to run over it. Unfortunately not every class has one, but here are some easy ones:

Mesmer - Blink

Elementalist - Lightning Flash

Thief - Shadowstep

Engineer (Mechanist) - Shift Signet (this might be long enough, but not sure)

Guardian - this one has two steps, you summon a Sword of Justice and then use Merciful Intervention to port to it.

Necro (Scourge) - Sand Swell (this might be long enough, but not sure)

You can also ask to do the story with someone else, so that they can go ahead and turn the traps off for you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lottie.5370 said:

It can help to play a class with a blink/teleport/shadowstep so that you can bypass having to run over it. Unfortunately not every class has one, but here are some easy ones:

Mesmer - Blink

Elementalist - Lightning Flash

Thief - Shadowstep

Engineer (Mechanist) - Shift Signet (this might be long enough, but not sure)

Guardian - this one has two steps, you summon a Sword of Justice and then use Merciful Intervention to port to it.

Necro (Scourge) - Sand Swell (this might be long enough, but not sure)

You can also ask to do the story with someone else, so that they can go ahead and turn the traps off for you!

Willbender F3 work too, i tried

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It's 2022. The average internet speed is well over 10 gbps. Network lag on the client side makes zero sense these days. Maybe you just need to get the timing right. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 12

25 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

It's 2022. The average internet speed is well over 10 gbps. Network lag on the client side makes zero sense these days. Maybe you just need to get the timing right. 

I mean, some people are Australian.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

You can have someone else play with you and disable the traps ...this also includes the fractal.  Try adjusting your view to overhead so you can see where you're at better.  If your internet and connection are that bad, I'm truly sorry because gameplay must be almost impossible for any content.  Mostly for me personally, it's about being patient.  I can't roll or jump across it, so just take it step by step.  Walk.  Don't run.  Baby steps.

People have been begging for season 1, as far as I can tell, pretty much forever.  Some it irks that they missed out on the story, some have some nostalgic thing for it?  It's pretty boring and cheesy overall, imo.  I don't see the wow factor that some long time players find in it.  But it's easy AP, and that's fine.  Filler, yes.  Appeasing those who feel like they are lost and confused without this chunk of story and not just a summary, yes.  

I would be in favor of mastery points, absolutely!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't think this addition was primarily for veterans.

The lack of LS1 had been pointed out as a weak point of the story because when you start LS2, there are several main characters the game expects you to know.

They initially put in the summary, but this is a game. Who wants to watch a summary of a games story when they are interested in the story?

So I believe this was the solution to that problem.

Yea, it would have been nice if at least a couple of mastery points had been put in, but as someone who took a break due to burnout during LS1 that lasted through the majority of the story, I'm glad I can go through the story to pick up on things I missed.

Edited by Seera.5916
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Seera.5916 said:

You're probably right, considering they're dolling things up for this year's expected Steam release up to and including a reboot of their new player experience. Putting S1 back in (or at least re-imagining it) best benefits new players and is a logical step when hoping to pull in new blood for the playerbase. I can't think of too many stories that'd sell well with their first chapter missing.

That isn't to say veterans won't enjoy this, though. Not only has it been a long time since we've been able to access this content, but many never have got to experience it at all. People don't like missing out, even if the thing they missed wasn't amazing.

7 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Remind me, why am I doing this again?

Achievements, character introductions, Tyrian lore, story beats, unique weapon skins, and maybe fun - If you aren't interested in those things, then there is no reason to do it and you can safely skip. Adding S1 back into the game is just a means to fill a gaping hole in the narrative as you correctly assessed in your OP.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Seera.5916 said:

To be honest, veterans have already experienced "improved"/"streamlined" versions of these fights forever in Fractals. (Though I do have to admit, I think the S1 Molten Boss battle is more interesting than the Fractal version.)

As you said, the story fixup very much seems geared towards making another "get into GW2! now is a good time!" marketing push sometime in the fall.

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Sad 1

I wondered about this as well - the electrical field. Did not have big problems with it - I am used to it from fractals. But compared to later story stuff this actually could be a road block for some people while for later story stuff I barely remember anything like this. (Most of the time there is optional stuff - getting easier but you lose an achievement. Or there is stuff where you can just die countless times and slowly progress while doing so.)

I would suggest the following: Kiel getting bored after you die a few times ... offering to help. Maybe one additional achievement where you need to progress without help to get that achievement.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

...Also, what electrical field? The one on the ground where you have to just casually walk to the squares that aren't going to kill you? People have trouble with that?

Yes. I had trouble with it, a lot of trouble, since my reaction times were too slow to get past the first couple of grids. After repeated attempts to get the timing right and failing each time, I finally just died, used a recovery orb, went as far as I could before dying again, then used another recovery orb and so forth. It took me four recovery orbs to cross that electrical grid. If that hadn't worked, Plan B would've been to ask a couple of guildies to carry me through that story chapter.

One of the things I don't understand in life is why some folks don't seem to understand that not everybody is exactly like them. People are different and have different levels of abilities, skills, physical capabilities, and such. What is easy for one person may be hard for another one, and vice versa. That's just a simple fact of life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

I wondered about this as well - the electrical field. Did not have big problems with it - I am used to it from fractals. But compared to later story stuff this actually could be a road block for some people while for later story stuff I barely remember anything like this. (Most of the time there is optional stuff - getting easier but you lose an achievement. Or there is stuff where you can just die countless times and slowly progress while doing so.)

I would suggest the following: Kiel getting bored after you die a few times ... offering to help. Maybe one additional achievement where you need to progress without help to get that achievement.

Actually that wouldn't be a bad way to do it.  You could do that or have at the start the option to talk to Kiel and say yes you go ahead I'll protect you or nahhhhhh I can do it all.

• Like 2