10 years later, Guild Wars 2 still doesn't support hotkey modifiers.

6 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

You're talking about, like, pressing Z and X at the same time to do some kind of combined thing?

Modern gaming can do that but no i meant just changing all the keys to something else.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I have build templates bound to shift and F keys and mounts bound to a combination of Ctrl, alts, shifts with normal keys. I just open up the bind menu, click on the option and it press the combination I want and it saves.  No external programs or anything.

• Like 2

My old razer mouse is able to rebind some of my mouse buttons to combination keys. One of these buttons is for changing the DPI sensitivity settings, but I never use that function. I rebound it to "Shift + M" to open up my map more quickly, but I found that it would open the map, but would have trouble closing it. I ended up binding it to regular "M" because of this issue.

I have never had any problems binding combination keys like "Control +" and "Shift +". Has the OP tried using a different keyboard to see if it is simply a hardware issue?

17 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Really? I've tried earlier and it doesn't work for me. 

How do you do it? With 3rd party software, like mentioned here? https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/t32tx/modifier_key_combinations_with_3rd_party_tool/

I just read through this reddit post you linked and I find your complaint very puzzling. This reddit post is 10 years old and the posters are discussing an issue with key bindings when the game was still in beta. You can see that the last post in the thread was "Not a bit deal guys, they're probably will be Shift and ctrl keys in retail or even the next beta event."

Clearly this issue was resolved at launch because I bought the game right after launch and have never had any issues with combination key binding. Normally in one of these complaints about the game thread, there is at least 1 player that agrees with the OP, but nobody but the OP seems to be having problems. Are you playing some sort of hacked-up private server version of GW2 using beta code?

Edited by kokocabana.8153
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Yikes, kokocabana, good catch on the age of that Reddit.  Ok, in that case OP, either you are pulling our legs or you need to file a Support ticket because this situation is unique to you.  Lay out the issue clearly, maybe even link to this thread.  If you get a boilerplate response, reply to it politely; each time you get a reply may be from a new Support person as it gets moved towards the one with the most expertise to help you, so stay polite as it goes and you'll see them working to aid you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just checking because it's the only thing I can think of at this point: Are you aware you have to push both buttons at the same time when setting the keybinding?

1. Double click the box for the keybinding you want to change
  2. hold down the modifier key
  3. press the other key

If you press one then the other it will overwrite the modifier key with the second one you press.

Also only certain keys will work as modifiers (I think just shift, ctrl and alt), you can't bind something to say A+H.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

No need to open a support ticket, as it's clearly not an issue with the game since everyone else can do it just fine.

Close all running processes, open GW2, try binding it.

If it still doesn't work, open a browser, notepad, or word editor and press Shift+F8 and see what happens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread beginning in a rant about a problem that does not really exist from the game client side was really intriguing 🙂
So I got interested and decided to test this on all the machines I have...

TL,DR: Binding shift+F8 worked on every single machine.

List of what I tested:

Desktops:
-Win7 on custom built 2008 PC originally on Win XP, standard ancient keyboard with DIN plug without Windows keys, Zelotes C-12 USB mouse
-Win7 on Shuttle XPC SZ77R5, standard Fujitsu/Siemens SC USB keyboard, Zelotes C-12 USB Mouse
-Win10 Home on custom built 2014 PC originally on Win7 Home, standard Logitech K120 USB Keyboard, Zelotes C-12 USB Mouse
-Win7 on Dell Optiplex 7010, standard Saitek PK06 USB keyboard, WFirst x10000 USB Mouse
-Win10 Pro on Dell Optiplex 7010 originally on Win7, ancient Silicon Graphics PS/2 keyboard without Windows keys, Zelotes C-12 USB mouse
The last entry tested successfully on the local game client as well as when playing remotely on Geforce Now. Btw. as a pure office PC, this machine only has a Radeon HD7470 which has 1GB ram and runs on 27 Watts and it still did 30fps 1080p on local client (and 60fps obviously on the free Geforce Now account).

After it worked on any configuration I didn't want to wait with posting until the game installed on the 2 laptops I can test it on, so I left those out now. In the unlikely case that it does not work on one of them once the game is installed, I'd update this post 😉

I suspect that some software on the OPs PC interferes, possibly some mouse- or keyboard software but could be anything that is related to keyboard input in any way.

Edited by Shikigami.4013
  • Like 6

Like many other "Players Helping Players" threads, this thread could be 10x shorter if anyone complaining actually put in the effort to communicate what they wanted and what they've already tried rather than veiling their needs behind a frothy little rant.

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 6/7/2022 at 12:04 AM, Lethal When Wet.8205 said:

My dudes just buy an MMO mouse with the 12 buttons on the side.  Been using it for years.  Logitech and Razor make them.  You can bind all 10 skills plus swap weapon and you will be all good.

I can barely manage the few buttons on the mouse that I have now.  Twelve!  Good grief!! 😲

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I can barely manage the few buttons on the mouse that I have now.  Twelve!  Good grief!! 😲

I've never tried one of those MMO mice with a whole keypad on the side but a few extras can come in surprisingly useful if they're in the right places for you.

I got a Logitech G400 a few years ago which has 2 buttons on the side and 3 extras down the middle (small ones) and while I wasn't sure at first I'd use them I quickly found them to be useful. In GW2 I have dodge and mount bound to the side buttons and auto-run, F and action camera bound to the ones down the middle and I've found it really nice to have those functions always in reach no matter what I'm doing (especially dodge and auto-run).

When I came to replace it I found not only did I want another one with extra buttons but I wasn't sure the 6 button mice which are most common now would be enough for me. 😄 I ended up getting another 8 button one (Corsair M55) but I haven't tried it yet because my new computer just arrived today.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I highly recommend the Zelotes C-12 that I listed as being attached to many of the machines in my earlier post. It is the only one of its kind that I know of. It does not plaster the whole left side of the mouse with buttons like the others do, but arrange 6 buttons in an oval around where you hold the mouse with your thumb (at least I hold it that way).

This way you can hold the mouse firmly without constantly accidentally press on of the 10 or 12 buttons on the side, but still have 6 convenienty located programmable buttons for your thumb to reach. When you only have 6 buttons arranged in an oval, it is also much easier to press the correct one than on a wall of 12 ones. I bound them to the 6 different mounts I most often use. Previously I had all the mounts bound, but now I miss one, kitten you Skyscale, lol.

PS: Also it is wired. I hate wireless mice and depleted batteries ^^

Edited by Shikigami.4013
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

With great solutions come great prices, that's the saying that was told to Spiderman, right? ^^

Also there are not a great amount of wireless chargeable mice and none of them compare with the sidebuttons of mine 😑 Looks like most ads I saw for those charging pads target phone/earbud charging, not mouse charging.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1