Dailies

All this bombardment toward Labjax reminds me why l don't understand people who accuse leechers. They see someone not participating much in one event and feel they have to tell them they're leeching. If the event succeeded, who cares if people leeched? Labjax proposed some insight into the concept of leeching, so why jump down his throat over some poor examples? You're seeing the act of leeching in a PvE game and act like it's a sin to ever commit it. I mean sure, if a lot of people are skimping out on one of those really tough, high level events until the last minute and it fails due to the lack of player presence, you might be in the right to complain. But even then, how can you really know for sure that they were intentionally leeching and not merely late to the party? I'd hope it's because you saw a big handful of them in one spot or in a particular spot known for such action.

One of the points Labjax was trying to make is that people assume a leecher did it with intent, when for all they know, the guy had to go AFK to take their dog outside. Pardon the gamer meme, but you can't pause an MMO. So, if someone walks away from a hard fight to a safe spot so they still get credit and can jump back in quickly, try not to assume they're the scum of the earth, yeah? Use your best judgement before you vocalize your complaints.

And then, there was another point being made: Why do people intentionally leech certain bosses and events? What can be done to discourage their desire, other than punish them? Can something be done?

Edited by Smoky.5348
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/19/2022 at 12:53 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

Okay so you don't have any currency. You seem like the kind of guy that would rather complain than learn the options available. I do those dailies every day and I almost never PvP or WvW to get them, and yet I do get them, without ever doing the 4 events and I always do them fast.

It's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness. There are ways if you want to learn them.  But if you don't, I guess you can keep complaining.

All i said was i do the dailies as fast as possible because i hate them.. I get 2g daily.. If you can't understand that i can't help you.

I will never do WvW and pvp because its trash.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

All i said was i do the dailies as fast as possible because i hate them.. I get 2g daily.. If you can't understand that i can't help you.

And I said I do them without doing WvW or PvP.  So who's actually not understanding who?  It's quite simple. You take longer to do your dailies, where as I take less time, without doing the stuff you think I'm doing. It's not my problem it's yours. Because you'd rather go into low level zones and inconvenience low level people by doing it as fast as possible.  I'm not doing that, and still getting the dailies done faster than you.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just another thing that makes it more likely that people with mounts will use them in low level events: you get more drops.

It's not just event participation you're getting; the more mobs you tag, the more loot you get, and even if the stuff you get is just low level mats, or even worse, vendor trash, it's all profit.

I used to actively avoid using my mount in low level events, in order to give low level players a chance, but it got increasingly hard to stick to that behaviour once I realised I was missing out on drops.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

Is there anything in the game you don’t hate or complain about? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Smoky.5348 said:

All this bombardment toward Labjax reminds me why l don't understand people who accuse leechers. They see someone not participating much in one event and feel they have to tell them they're leeching. If the event succeeded, who cares if people leeched? Labjax proposed some insight into the concept of leeching, so why jump down his throat over some poor examples? You're seeing the act of leeching in a PvE game and act like it's a sin to ever commit it. I mean sure, if a lot of people are skimping out on one of those really tough, high level events until the last minute and it fails due to the lack of player presence, you might be in the right to complain. But even then, how can you really know for sure that they were intentionally leeching and not merely late to the party? I'd hope it's because you saw a big handful of them in one spot or in a particular spot known for such action.

One of the points Labjax was trying to make is that people assume a leecher did it with intent, when for all they know, the guy had to go AFK to take their dog outside. Pardon the gamer meme, but you can't pause an MMO. So, if someone walks away from a hard fight to a safe spot so they still get credit and can jump back in quickly, try not to assume they're the scum of the earth, yeah? Use your best judgement before you vocalize your complaints.

And then, there was another point being made: Why do people intentionally leech certain bosses and events? What can be done to discourage their desire, other than punish them? Can something be done?

I think they were referring more to the people who afk right next to near enough an entire Drakkar/Dragonstorm. They then get the exact same loot if it succeeds, and lose nothing if it fails due to the upscaling of them just standing there. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Smoky.5348 said:

Hardly bombardment, rather pointing out how what he says didn't make much sense and does nothing in terms of determining whether or not someone fits the description of someone leeching rewards from events in the game.

Um... are you even serious with this one? It's interesting how you think someone tagging an event and then intentionally literally going AFK (to walk the dog or do anything else) doesn't count as "leeching with intent". They intentionally leave a character in place that profits them and then go do something else irl to get rewards off people that actually complete the content that person is leeching off. Don't want to leech the event? WP out or -probably even better- turn off the game and then go walk your dog. Instead -in your hypothetical example- you choose not to do it specifically to leech the rewards from an event and then claim that it's not leeching.

Really, some of the mental gymnastics in this thread on the last 2 pages are straight up mindblowing. "I'm not leeching an event because I'm doing something else irl"? 🤦‍♂️ wow.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Um... are you even serious with this one? It's interesting how you think someone tagging an event and then intentionally literally going AFK (to walk the dog or do anything else) doesn't count as "leeching with intent". They intentionally leave a character in place that profits them and then go do something else irl to get rewards off people that actually complete the content that person is leeching off. Don't want to leech the event? WP out or -probably even better- turn off the game and then go walk your dog. Instead -in your hypothetical example- you choose not to do it specifically to leech the rewards from an event and then claim that it's not leeching.

Really, some of the mental gymnastics in this thread on the last 2 pages are straight up mindblowing. "I'm not leeching an event because I'm doing something else irl"? 🤦‍♂️ wow.

Um... Are you even serious with this one? Remember when I said accusers think leeching is a sin? That's what you're leaning toward right now. It's as if you think any leeching at all is a problem when not everything is. Now, l'm gonna try and make myself as clear as possible because my earlier post was a bit scrambled:

People who intentionally AFK farm the entirety of a high-level event for the sole reason of avoiding putting in the effort are the problem. People who have the gall to do that in instanced content are especially the problem. Not people who take a five minute break for any reason, but still want to get credit for the twenty minutes they were just participating toward and will continue to participate toward when they get back. My stance is about the problem of malicious leechers, not the semantics of its definition. My point is about how difficult it is to know if someone is maliciously lazy or just doesn't want to lose credit for the effort they already put in simply because they went AFK for a few minutes. Ergo, we shouldn't assume the worst of someone every time. And, of course, the threshold of this forgiveness decreases as the difficulty increases.

Do you see the difference I'm painting here? Can we agree that those two vastly different degrees are not equally scummy?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Smoky.5348 said:

Um... Are you even serious with this one? Remember when I said accusers think leeching is a sin? That's what you're leaning toward right now. It's as if you think any leeching at all is a problem when not everything is. Now, l'm gonna try and make myself as clear as possible because my earlier post was a bit scrambled:

People who intentionally AFK farm the entirety of a high-level event for the sole reason of avoiding putting in the effort are the problem. People who have the gall to do that in instanced content are especially the problem. Not people who take a five minute break for any reason, but still want to get credit for the twenty minutes they were just participating toward and will continue to participate toward when they get back. My stance is about the problem of malicious leechers, not the semantics of its definition. My point is about how difficult it is to know if someone is maliciously lazy or just doesn't want to lose credit for the effort they already put in simply because they went AFK for a few minutes.

psst, all you're doing is trying to justify leeching based on someone wanting to leave their character ingame to literally leech off the other players (and yes, that is the only reason, otherwise you'd just port out or turn off the game 🙄), while that person is doing something else irl. This is just leeching and for some reason you're trying to pretend it's not. It really is rather simple, not sure why you're looking for an excuse as if leaving your character to leech the event while you're doing something else away from the computer is ok, because you want to walk your dog -or w/e else- instead.

You can't "literally afk for the whole event", you literally need to get participation in some way. Which is what you're presenting in your great "what if I participated for a moment and then moved to the nearby safe spot to go with my dog on a walk" example. You're basically tagging an event and then going afk so you can get the rewards while other players complete the event for you. This is leeching. If you think it's not "because you're doing something else irl", then you simply don't understand the terms you're trying to use.

Ergo, we shouldn't assume the worst of someone every time. And, of course, the threshold of this forgiveness decreases as the difficulty increases.

Do you see the difference I'm painting here? Can we agree that those two vastly different degrees are not equally scummy?

Nobody is "assuming" anything here. If you don't want to be a leecher, then don't intentionally leave your character to rip the rewards from the event while you're walking your dog LOL 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

The funny thing about most of us in this thread, is that the majority of us seem to agree about the basics, we are just getting caught up in semantics and distracted by degrees of the problem. Personally I think it is fine if you have to AFK for like 5 of a 30min+ event due to something you weren't expecting happening. What I see as a problem is the people who rock up to the event after every pre is done, hit the boss like 3 times, then AFK nearby for the entire remainder.

Edit: the most egregious examples being some I have seen at drakkar or dragonstorm, arrive late, tag a few hits then just stand there. AFK? Not unless the very second the event ends they happened to finish their IRL job and loot the chests and log out again. 

Edited by Emberfoot.6847
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Is there anything in the game you don’t hate or complain about? 

Story content, yearly events, chatting to others in LA and guild and buying new stuff with Gems.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

On 6/20/2022 at 5:55 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

psst, all you're doing is trying to justify leeching based on someone wanting to leave their character ingame to literally leech off the other players (and yes, that is the only reason, otherwise you'd just port out or turn off the game 🙄), while that person is doing something else irl. This is just leeching and for some reason you're trying to pretend it's not. It really is rather simple, not sure why you're looking for an excuse as if leaving your character to leech the event while you're doing something else away from the computer is ok, because you want to walk your dog -or w/e else- instead.

You can't "literally afk for the whole event", you literally need to get participation in some way. Which is what you're presenting in your great "what if I participated for a moment and then moved to the nearby safe spot to go with my dog on a walk" example. You're basically tagging an event and then going afk so you can get the rewards while other players complete the event for you. This is leeching. If you think it's not "because you're doing something else irl", then you simply don't understand the terms you're trying to use.

You're doing the exact same thing with me as you did with Labjax; getting caught up on one aspect of what I said and misunderstanding the whole rest of it. I set a really low bar, too, so now l know you simply lack reading comprehension and l have no more reason to talk with you. Because I highly doubt that if you are interrupted mid-meta boss for a two minute thing, you will not log off and lose your entire stake in its success.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

There are plenty of people leeching in a game like this. If you haven't heard the complaints about Dragonstorm or Drakkar, you're just not paying attention. Most people are asking for participation in dynamic events to mean something, rather than just giving people stuff for minimal effort. You're asking the opposite.

So anyway, what I originally was thinking about was events specific to event dailies. Living World bosses don't count for that, as far as l'm aware. In dailies, events cannot mean anything beyond that daily or a collection cheevo, nor does participating even require much. For base game, you deal the required damage or collect at least one item. In expansion maps, you must only continue to do those things each minute. When that's all that's required and we still have to worry about killstealing mobs, events can't be changed to mean something more. The sting of killstealing in low level areas will only hurt more or crop up more! And, what else can be done without adding to the problem ourselves if we can't get credit for beating the odds and landing a single hit? That's why I at least want to know my participation medal as the event is ongoing so l have some level of consistency to go on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

You're doing the exact same thing with me as you did with Labjax; getting caught up on one aspect of what I said and misunderstanding the whole rest of it.

I'm not getting caught up on one aspect of what you said, I'm responding exactly to what you said -and your attempts to justify leeching "because maybe someone does something else irl" (whatever it is) make as much sense as what labjax said. And that's the point. Leeching is leeching, you're intentionally leaving your character to leech the rewards off the players actually doing the event and then try to claim that... it's somehow "not done with intent", when it very clearly is done with intent. I really don't know what you fail to understand about it, but I guess that's pretty hopeless to try to explain it again.

Because I highly doubt that if you are interrupted mid-meta boss for a two minute thing, you will not log off and lose your entire stake in its success.

Seriously, it doesn't matter what you think I or anyone else do -what matters is that if you (or anyone else) do it, then at least don't be in denial about it by trying to claim that you're "not leeching the rewards with intent" when you're literally intentionally leaving your character to have participation while you're away from your pc do something else. 🙄 

Nothing about you trying to justify leeching with -for example- walking the dog (which should be more-or-less on schedule btw) is my lack of reading comprehension. If anything, it's your lack of self-awareness and understanding of the terms you're using here (specifically: "leeching" and "intent").

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/20/2022 at 3:20 PM, Emberfoot.6847 said:

The funny thing about most of us in this thread, is that the majority of us seem to agree about the basics, we are just getting caught up in semantics and distracted by degrees of the problem. Personally I think it is fine if you have to AFK for like 5 of a 30min+ event due to something you weren't expecting happening. What I see as a problem is the people who rock up to the event after every pre is done, hit the boss like 3 times, then AFK nearby for the entire remainder.

Yea I think everyone understands that you can't be in front of the computer all the time, but when people are doing the "get a few hits and afk" thing going then they don't put any importance on other people's time and effort.

There are of course allowances, since these things can be give and take, but yea, there's a certain point where it does become leeching if it's clear they are self centered enough to take much more than they give. And you don't want to play with people like that.

Of course, it's possible to just have a mindset of "I don't owe you anything, and don't expect any in return" but that needs to be done in earnest.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

On 6/20/2022 at 1:11 AM, Smoky.5348 said:

I don't think my examples were poor, just misunderstood, but otherwise, I appreciate the assist. I pretty much gave up trying to explain my points somewhere in here. And yes, some people are so focused on spotting leeching and calling it out, you have to wonder how much they're actually contributing themselves. Personally, I have enough trouble keeping an eye on mechanics and a rotation without trying to watch what other players are doing too.

And I suspect one reason people afk or don't try as hard is events being a mixture of boring and annoying. Take Dragonstorm, for example. That event is both: repetitively boring (repeating almost identical phases over and over, to the point even the writers acknowledge it "elders dragons: this might take a couple rounds. stay strong") and annoying mechanics (hey look, the boss jumped 10 feet again, go run to him; hey look, the boss knocked you back because you missed one dodge, go run to him; etc., or how one of them is intensely more annoying because all it takes is for one person or NPC to not stack and he will jump to them)

We also need to consider that the game actually encourages low effort in some cases. There are situations like cache keepers where the more thoughtful practice is to 111 or hit hard once and then get off the mob so others can get credit. So it's not even consistent about effort expectations to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/19/2022 at 5:21 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

There are plenty of people leeching in a game like this. If you haven't heard the complaints about Dragonstorm or Drakkar, you're just not paying attention. Most people are asking for participation in dynamic events to mean something, rather than just giving people stuff for minimal effort. You're asking the opposite.

That was a particularly annoying aspect for me when a few of us took turns tagging Drakkar daily for over a year. They fixed Dragonstorm with the participation level rewards. Can't understand why they didn't do the same for Drakkar (unless they have since EoD release).

Use participation levels to claim 1, 2 or 3 of the chests. Once the Drakkar fight starts, you'll be thrown off the ledge and go splat unless you glide down (full dead during whole fight = 1 chest only if you participate in killing the mobs to the final chamber).

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, Labjax.2465 said:

I don't think my examples were poor, just misunderstood, but otherwise, I appreciate the assist. I pretty much gave up trying to explain my points somewhere in here. And yes, some people are so focused on spotting leeching and calling it out, you have to wonder how much they're actually contributing themselves. Personally, I have enough trouble keeping an eye on mechanics and a rotation without trying to watch what other players are doing too.

And I suspect one reason people afk or don't try as hard is events being a mixture of boring and annoying. Take Dragonstorm, for example. That event is both: repetitively boring (repeating almost identical phases over and over, to the point even the writers acknowledge it "elders dragons: this might take a couple rounds. stay strong") and annoying mechanics (hey look, the boss jumped 10 feet again, go run to him; hey look, the boss knocked you back because you missed one dodge, go run to him; etc., or how one of them is intensely more annoying because all it takes is for one person or NPC to not stack and he will jump to them)

We also need to consider that the game actually encourages low effort in some cases. There are situations like cache keepers where the more thoughtful practice is to 111 or hit hard once and then get off the mob so others can get credit. So it's not even consistent about effort expectations to begin with.

Yeah, sorry if I offended. I was trying maybe too hard to give Sobx the benefit of the doubt. I agree with you in general, though.  Putting out minimal effort is currently the only way to combat the killstealing problem of event dailies, for instance. That or learning which events give credit for healing...but if no one's taking damage, you can't get heals, either. Hum...

On 6/22/2022 at 3:22 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm not getting caught up on one aspect of what you said, I'm responding exactly to what you said -and your attempts to justify leeching "because maybe someone does something else irl" (whatever it is) make as much sense as what labjax said. And that's the point. Leeching is leeching, you're intentionally leaving your character to leech the rewards off the players actually doing the event and then try to claim that... it's somehow "not done with intent", when it very clearly is done with intent. I really don't know what you fail to understand about it, but I guess that's pretty hopeless to try to explain it again.

Seriously, it doesn't matter what you think I or anyone else do -what matters is that if you (or anyone else) do it, then at least don't be in denial about it by trying to claim that you're "not leeching the rewards with intent" when you're literally intentionally leaving your character to have participation while you're away from your pc do something else. 🙄 

Nothing about you trying to justify leeching with -for example- walking the dog (which should be more-or-less on schedule btw) is my lack of reading comprehension. If anything, it's your lack of self-awareness and understanding of the terms you're using here (specifically: "leeching" and "intent").

Yep, whatever you say, boss.

(When did I ever mention "walking a dog"? Pretty big difference between walking a dog and simply taking one outside. Hm, maybe he doesn't have a backyard for that?)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Smoky.5348 said:

Yeah, sorry if I offended. I was trying maybe too hard to give Sobx the benefit of the doubt. I agree with you in general, though.  Putting out minimal effort is currently the only way to combat the killstealing problem of event dailies, for instance. That or learning which events give credit for healing...but if no one's taking damage, you can't get heals, either. Hum...

No worries. I did/do very much appreciate you backing me up on this and you certainly aren't obligated to agree entirely with me on it. Your views on it matter too. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/24/2022 at 5:19 AM, Smoky.5348 said:

Yep, whatever you say, boss.

(When did I ever mention "walking a dog"? Pretty big difference between walking a dog and simply taking one outside. Hm, maybe he doesn't have a backyard for that?)

You wrote about "having to afk to take their dog outside". Not "let it out", but "take it outside" -and when you take something somewhere... you take it with you. So that's exactly where you wrote it. Glad I could clear that out for you and hopefully you can stop backpedalling now. Not only that, but it really doesn't change anything about what was written in my posts, for all I care you can "afk to lay on the floor" and it's still all the same in context of what you're responding(?) to 🙄 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

So, reading through this thread, I have to wonder how many piles of dog kitten have to be cleaned up in some people's houses because they can't be bothered to take care of their dog during a raid.  Worse still, I keep wondering how many babies have to sit for however long in kitten diapers, for the same reason.  I'd speculate that they'd just log out, as some have suggested others should, but with how seriously they seem to take the content, I can't see them sacrificing their progress on it.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/20/2022 at 1:23 AM, Mungrul.9358 said:

I used to actively avoid using my mount in low level events, in order to give low level players a chance, but it got increasingly hard to stick to that behaviour once I realised I was missing out on drops.

"I used to be nice to newer players until I realized I could make 14 silver an hour in vendor trash... now, eff those noobs"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

So, reading through this thread, I have to wonder how many piles of dog kitten have to be cleaned up in some people's houses because they can't be bothered to take care of their dog during a raid.  Worse still, I keep wondering how many babies have to sit for however long in kitten diapers, for the same reason.  I'd speculate that they'd just log out, as some have suggested others should, but with how seriously they seem to take the content, I can't see them sacrificing their progress on it.

Indeed, and if someone does log out for every little thing they have to AFK for, l worry such a mentality could interfere with their everyday life. There's no way being so perfectly "honorbound" can be healthy. One might take their job too seriously or could even not take it seriously enough, depending on their priorities.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:49 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

You wrote about "having to afk to take their dog outside". Not "let it out", but "take it outside" -and when you take something somewhere... you take it with you. So that's exactly where you wrote it. Glad I could clear that out for you and hopefully you can stop backpedalling now. Not only that, but it really doesn't change anything about what was written in my posts, for all I care you can "afk to lay on the floor" and it's still all the same in context of what you're responding(?) to 🙄 

You're taking apart how l worded myself instead of trying to understand how they meant what l later explained. That's why l'm not trying with you anymore; you'll misunderstand me no matter what I say.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Smoky.5348 said:

Indeed, and if someone does log out for every little thing they have to AFK for, l worry such a mentality could interfere with their everyday life. There's no way being so perfectly "honorbound" can be healthy. One might take their job too seriously or could even not take it seriously enough, depending on their priorities.

Excusing leeching part... 20, I guess. As I've already said multiple times before: if you leech, at least stop being in denial about it. It doesn't matter if you go out with a dog, if you came back from work -and I guess play the game despite... not wanting to play the game?- (based on the previous poster's listed weird excuses) or w/e other regular daily activity you'll try to come up with. You intentionally leave your character to reap the rewards while not even playing the game, it clearly is leeching and nothing else. You trying to pretend that it's somehow "not done with intent" is just hilarious and very obviously false.

20 hours ago, Smoky.5348 said:

You're taking apart how l worded myself instead of trying to understand how they meant what l later explained. That's why l'm not trying with you anymore; you'll misunderstand me no matter what I say.

The only reason I'm "taking it apart" is because you've tried to say you didn't write what you clearly did. You wording yourself badly is not on me -and it's not like there's much wrong with it btw, but then maybe write "that's not what I meant" instead of what you wrote in an attempt to brush my response away by pretending I made something up. I didn't. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5