Changes to Repairs/Anvils & Opportunity!

3 hours ago, Shadowwaka.1952 said:

Imo the new system seems kinda pointless too.

I just don’t get it. What does the new mechanic add beyond simply giving stats for stats sake?

Just a way to waste time. And who's to say MLG groups dont demand you go anvil up? Probably wont even be a choice. We'll end up using them a lot more than we do currently, which currently = rare.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

This system does seem likely to incentivize more use of the repair anvil for at least some of us. I would estimate that I currently use it once a month or so. This will increase to perhaps a couple times per week. I am not sure why ANet considers using a repair anvil to be content to incentivize, but whatever....Really concerned that this is what ANet now considers content worth spending time on.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

10 hours ago, Rysdude.3824 said:

Hope they let us trade our endless canisters in for something!

This. I have it because I hate broken armor but a 12 hour buff, really? I can just walk to an anvil when I log in so the endless canister will be useless after the update. :c

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

It may not be much power creep, I suppose that remains to be seen until we have the numbers, but a numerical increase to performance of this sort is, by definition, power creep.

Sure, if we get technical, it is. The reality however is that small amounts of defense don't really change anything. The real powercreep, when it happens, happens in offensive stats and boons. And here changes to banners and spirits will be a significant nerf (people are already calculating dps nerf of around 5 to 10% depending on specific build). That's after calculating for the added +5% crit chance from Fury and from trait.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I don't really see the point in this. The jade batteries were more interesting, since they're expac specific and interact with other mechanics introduced in the expansion.

This is just a passive buff you refresh every 12 hours because...why? Unlike food buffs, there's no customization. It adds nothing to the economy (except spiking up the price of infinite repair canisters, I guess?) unlike food buffs. They could make this an automatically refreshing buff and nothing would change. It doesn't even solve any specific problem-  it's just adding something just to add something so they can keep some semblance of the repair mechanic in the game.

I'm basically never going to be using this unless I happen to be in a city for some reason and remember this exists, or it's raid night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curennos.9307 said:

I don't really see the point in this. The jade batteries were more interesting, since they're expac specific and interact with other mechanics introduced in the expansion.

This is just a passive buff you refresh every 12 hours because...why? Unlike food buffs, there's no customization. It adds nothing to the economy (except spiking up the price of infinite repair canisters, I guess?) unlike food buffs. They could make this an automatically refreshing buff and nothing would change. It doesn't even solve any specific problem-  it's just adding something just to add something so they can keep some semblance of the repair mechanic in the game.

I'm basically never going to be using this unless I happen to be in a city for some reason and remember this exists, or it's raid night.

I expect it will be more then once ever 12 hours people tend to die and this should be removed if you do.

• Confused 1

There is something to keep in mind, from the Dev Post that I think has more significance than people might think.

But we didn’t want to melt down Tyria’s anvils for scrap—there’s something about hammering on one that gets us pumped for adventuring, you know?

We could all be over-thinking it, basically. Even if the stat boost is literally +1 to defense, the fact is, it'd be odd if the repair anvils/repair npcs just disappeared. They're part of the world, and what are the places you think of an adventurer going to? Taverns, and blacksmiths.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

So... why are the endless canisters increasing in value?  Shouldn't it be the other way around?  Or are people speculating that the anvil buff will be substantial enough to warrant the continued purchase of this item?

The reason why endless canisters are increasing in price is because, it will make that boon automatically refresh. So, you can just have the canister and you won;t have to actively remember about going to the anvil once in a while.

Of course, people buying it also hope the buff will be significant enough to care about it, but at the moment we really can't say anything about it. Personally, from what devs mentioned so far, i doubt it will be anything truly noticeable however.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Sure, if we get technical, it is. The reality however is that small amounts of defense don't really change anything. The real powercreep, when it happens, happens in offensive stats and boons. And here changes to banners and spirits will be a significant nerf (people are already calculating dps nerf of around 5 to 10% depending on specific build). That's after calculating for the added +5% crit chance from Fury and from trait.

I suppose that depends on what ANet considers a small amount of defense. Solid point about banners and spirits. As much as that change increases the potential diversity of classes capable of providing alac/quick it does remove buffs that currently provide unique damage increases which sit on top of the standard fury, might, quick, alac meta.

Sure, if we get technical, it is.

No need to "get technical", it's just what it is.

The reality however is that small amounts of defense don't really change anything.

The reality is that it's health and defense and we don't know the values yet, so at this point your judgement is a suspicion/wishful thinking at best, not reality.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

I kind of wish  they'd just remove it entirely and just permanently increase everyone's base stats for lvl 80 by a small amount and be done with it.

I just wish they removed them. Or just kept them for nostalgia's sake and just gave it a funny dialogue without any real purpose. No buffs needed.

Now they are exchanging one pointless task for another. Youll probably have to even click it more often than now if you want the buff. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Really concerned that this is what ANet now considers content worth spending time on.

The announcement specifically stated that these were small things completed by debs who were awaiting their step in the project management cycle.  Essentially, they couldn't start their work yet for the primary project they're working on.  Instead of sitting around doing nothing, they engaged in tiny tasks that can be completed in time for when the big project step is ready for them.  If you want to know more about how this works, look up critical path analysis.

So, no, this isn't what they consider substantial content.  There is definitely argument for what QoL projects they could have done instead.  There is a massive list of requests pinned to this forum.

Personally, I think it's fine.  It's not anywhere approaching any kind of deal to me, much much less a big deal.  I will say that updates to character selection screen would have been preferable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I'm sort of expecting cannisters to be more accessible with this update, because now that it's just another source of boons, like food and technical stuff, they should make it easily purchasable like the tools or even craftable.

Not point in making it sound exclusive from BL chests.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Really concerned that this is what ANet now considers content worth spending time on.

However, one of our new initiatives wasn’t scheduled to start right away, leaving us with a small group of developers that needed something to do.

They need to keep the staff working to earn their pay instead of playing. If nothing else, why not work on QoL improvements.

Although what each of us personally view as better QoL improvements, others may not see it as such. Personally, I have a few suggestions such as a toolbelt to deploy a single item for quick use such as Prototype Position Rewinder, Silverwastes shovels or Drizzlewood beacons, but I'm sure many will see it as just useless functions.

9 hours ago, Mea.5491 said:

This. I have it because I hate broken armor but a 12 hour buff, really? I can just walk to an anvil when I log in so the endless canister will be useless after the update. :c

The endless canister will not be useless. It'll look very nice decorating your bank with all the other trophies.

But in all seriousness, let's see what it'll do first. Maybe enable trading to a vendor for another endless item. And if you already have them all, sell on TP while the prices are high.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JayHog.3280 said:

I'm sort of expecting cannisters to be more accessible with this update, because now that it's just another source of boons, like food and technical stuff, they should make it easily purchasable like the tools or even craftable.

Not point in making it sound exclusive from BL chests.

You literally need 0 canisters to keep up the boon, you'll "just" need to visit the anvil every 10-12h. Canisters won't be some limited singular source of this buff, they're an increase in convinience, just like they were before that change.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You literally need 0 canisters to keep up the boon, you'll "just" need to visit the anvil every 10-12h. Canisters won't be some limited singular source of this buff, they're an increase in convinience, just like they were before that change.

That's the thing, the item is almost useless since the anvil makes it free. So having the canisters should be more of something you take for the road if you're not going to be stopping at camps for too long because you're exploring the map, fishing or doing some dangerous terrain.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JayHog.3280 said:

That's the thing, the item is almost useless since the anvil makes it free. So having the canisters should be more of something you take for the road if you're not going to be stopping at camps for too long because you're exploring the map, fishing or doing some dangerous terrain.

I find it interesting how you instantly went from "now that it's buff source like food/utility, it should be more accessible" to "it should be more accessible because... it's almost useless". If you think it's almost useless (which remains to be seen), then why would it even need to be more accessible? Do you think food/utility effects are useless too?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I find it interesting how you instantly went from "now that it's buff source like food/utility, it should be more accessible" to "it should be more accessible because... it's almost useless". If you think it's almost useless (which remains to be seen), then why would it even need to be more accessible? Do you think food/utility effects are useless too?

They're optional, most food and techs are useless because they're not as good as something else. When was the last time someone bought a piece of food from the vendors or a heart NPC for it's actual purpose of stat boosting? (Not counting ingredients.)

Usually only a handful of consumables are useful because it heavily empowers their playstyle, or in the case of cakes, it can be shared with strangers and friends alike. They're easily forgettable because there's no loud warning that your food ran out aside a change of icon that can be missed in the mess of 20 boons and conditions from an ongoing fight.

So given that the whole anvil thing is free for everyone, what's the point on keeping the canisters? Basically a "on the road" buff that you would get by interacting with any anvil, but what if you're too far from one? Or maybe you just don't want to TP some nearby camp for the anvil and then back? The consumable isn't really a big deal since again, it's more accessible and can be done anywhere, so unless ANET makes the anvil boon something semi broken, having canisters feels worthless other than a minor convenience. And having minor conveniences sorta undervalues their point, especially to the point where buying them from gem store becomes even more useless because you could just... Not bother wasting money on those if anvils are all over the place. Or just sold on TP for ingame currency for like a few silver.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1