Game Update Notes Preview: Profession Skills

Rubi Bayer.8493

they took away quickness and alac from chrono wells and shield, for the same reason they took away catalyst air sphere quickness. they want ppl to BUILD for those boons. becouse "balance" fk diversity, fk class flavour, fk players who want to build their character how they please - you either use this one build that were giving u or ur a useless piece of sh*t. but at the same time they didnt touch fb, cos why would they touch the golden child. somehow it can still throw around quickness like its candy. and even guard mains are telling them to fix this class. if u go thru with a change even if its stupid af at least be thorough, and not fk half the playerbase cos ur too afraid to touch the other. if they go thru with this patch im done.

im not considering myself an expert at the game, nor do i want to be. but with my couple of friends we were able to have insane amounts of fun even if none of us was interested in being 100% efficient. we cleared a lot of stuff simply becouse we were covering for each other. one example, can be myself taking well of action to simply cover for our fb dropping quickness sometimes. she was too focused trying to keep our other friend alive and this skill actually felt useful even for dps spec. u dont need to play meta to have fun, nor to be able to clear content in the first place. anet themselves forgot where they are coming from. and from what is happening here and on other media it seems that if they dont change their mindset the game will suffer.
  • Like 3

I admit I was very excited when they announced a much needed balance change as I was hoping it would answer the following : 

• What important role have a [classname] in my Raid/Fractal/Open world (PvE) or WvW/PvP party ? What awesome synergy could have if all 9 classes with mixed specialization could be in a party together? All in terms of Boon, Damage, Pressure tolerance, CC, Healing, Tanking, Unique playstyle, etc.
  • What core traits and specializations are currently lacking (both OP and UP) and how can we improve ?
  • What weapons are not quite there in terms of using them regularly (ex: Guardian Hammer, Ele Staff, Necro MH dagger) and how it could complement the class'/specialization arsenal? 

What we got that are decent :

• Lower skills cooldown and lower boon duration, encouraging more an active gameplay. I was a little skeptical about thief at first but I understand stealth abuse was annoying and you can still stealth.
  • Making regen effective in some skill mechanics. 
  • Toning down some skills that were a lil' too advantageous (I'm not speaking about Death Perception)
  • Eliminating some mechanics that were somewhat of a good idea at first, but not something you'd keep playing or using in the long run, and replace it with better usable traits (ex: Rev's Healing orbs). 

What we got that highly annoys me and that I don't quite understand : 

• Incoherent changes (Ex: Warrior fury in condi spec to improve critical).
  • Some confusing changes I don't understand why they were necessary. Ex: Revenant's Ventari. I don't quite understand what was wrong in the first place, and why the changes looks more like unbalancing than balancing. Natural Harmony didn't need a scaling, it is ALREADY a mindblowingly powerful healing. Now it's just even more powerful at the cost of the tablet not healing while traveling ? wth. Is it to balance changes with removing Healing Orbs ? I'm so glad now I can wave my tablet like a tw*t to annoy people in Mistlock over having an actual healing mechanism attached to moving the tablet with a cooldown that was making me think about strategic placements and wasn't a problem to begin with! YAY
  • No one will care about about class you play, as long as you provide [boonname] and/or DPS and/or CC. Literally nothing else matters about your class. Unique boons specific to classes are more and more things of the past. This is actually a big problem for me since many of the builds that were build around these unique boons were hanging by a thread since it's the only thing they got left. I can't imagine a Druid or Banner Warrior having a predominant role in a team anymore. Why bother use them when other classes can do a way better job? That could mean that classes and elite specs might be rejected and off the radar for good now in any situations, as many classes can provide amazing healing, provide the same boons and all have more CC/DPS/Utilities than Druid, as an example. R.I.P. Druid
  • Nothing is done to the majority of traits that are useless. They are still useless.
  • Many traits and skills that are actually used (including boons to 10 not 5), both in elite specialization and core specialization,  gets so many changes it can invalidate some builds completely (I'm speaking about Death Perception)... and this happens too often, making many players reluctant to play anything that is off the chart, yet playable in it's own way anymore. You want to grow attached to your class and it's playstyle, but you know you just can't since it'll change at some point. "Nice, this plays very well! Finally a setup I like to play. Ha, don't get too used to it, they'll make it bland and unreliable in a future patch." is becoming a sad joke amongst the GW2 community.
  • You say you make changes so that DPS class will be more self reliable. Does that mean that you don't care about anything else than DPS classes ? Oh... wait... I already know the answer :P. 

I hope the full list of changes will be more promizing, but the book's cover isn't attractive.

Edited by MathiasXII.7240
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

Honestly, what is the reasoning for shifting skills around on  skill bar after YEARS of them being in a specific slot?!?!  You're literally mucking with muscle memory.  holy kitten y'all.

Not the first time. 

Same thing already happened to mesmer,  when distortion was replaced by CS on chrono. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Not the first time. 

Same thing already happened to mesmer,  when distortion was replaced by CS on chrono. 

Yes, I'm aware.  Been here since beta.  Doesn't change the fact that its ridiculous and handicaps players for a time as they retrain their muscle memory when its honestly pointless to do.  Its one thing to update what a skill does, its another thing to shift it around on the bar needlessly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Carmela.8756 said:

The Patchnotes are like this: Go play Guard, Necro or Mechanist or uninstall the game. The flavour Anet brings to guards expecially is becoming really an obession.

Guard, Scourge, Harbinger, or Mechanist*

Fixed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MathiasXII.7240 said:

Nothing is done to the majority of traits that are useless. They are still useless

Not only traits, there are tons of utility skills that are and have been useless since gw2 release. May i name some like almost every signet on ranger or shouts like guard 🤣

Hey but that's what they call professions balance update!!

Edited by Ruisenior.6342

I think ArenaNet's main issue is this line of thinking that every class should be able to do everything, to make it to where classes are essentially just different playstyles that can be built to do specific things. There's nothing wrong with that but it essentially makes it a game of which class/playstyle does (insert role here) better? Making it to where certain classes are more optimal than others and therefore more likely to be played than others in certain content. (This has already been the case before this impending patch but it'll definitely exacerbate the problem.) Meaning people will be streamlined into playing certain classes even if they don't like the playstyle, resulting in less class/build diversity, which goes against the fundamental goal of the build system which is to play how you want to play.  Removing unique class buffs lessens the value certain classes have in the current metagame, and given that nothing is really being done to address the reasons for these classes feeling sub optimal to begin with, I consider this to be a bad change. Another point I'd like to make is making it to where classes aren't unique in which boons they can provide or what they offer to the group as a whole through their class/spec functionality defeats the purpose of having unique classes to begin with. Giving specter wells like chrono and an elite skill very similar to chrono with a shadow shroud mechanic similar to necro's is cool and all and makes for a new playstyle but it also makes the latter two less unique in what they do. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Ruisenior.6342 said:

Not only traits, there are tons of utility skills that are and have been useless since gw2 release. May i name some like almost every signet on ranger or shouts like guard 🤣

Hey but that's what they call professions balance update!!

Yeah I left them out, but you're right. How many times did we use any utilities specific to races (Except Norn Ranger bear transformation in WvW combined for 1HKO and tons of laughs at the launch distance)? I do agree that whatever build you play, when you have to choose only 3 utility skills + 1 elite skill, the choice is often obvious. All efficient builds also boils down to 2-3 build blueprint with SOME variations, but the utility skills are often obvious choices that are always the same. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cityyorknew.1269 said:

I think ArenaNet's main issue is this line of thinking that every class should be able to do everything, to make it to where classes are essentially just different playstyles that can be built to do specific things. There's nothing wrong with that but it essentially makes it a game of which class/playstyle does (insert role here) better? Making it to where certain classes are more optimal than others and therefore more likely to be played than others in certain content. (This has already been the case before this impending patch but it'll definitely exacerbate the problem.) Meaning people will be streamlined into playing certain classes even if they don't like the playstyle, resulting in less class/build diversity, which goes against the fundamental goal of the build system which is to play how you want to play.  Removing unique class buffs lessens the value certain classes have in the current metagame, and given that nothing is really being done to address the reasons for these classes feeling sub optimal to begin with, I consider this to be a bad change. Another point I'd like to make is making it to where classes aren't unique in which boons they can provide or what they offer to the group as a whole through their class/spec functionality defeats the purpose of having unique classes to begin with. Giving specter wells like chrono and an elite skill very similar to chrono with a shadow shroud mechanic similar to necro's is cool and all and makes for a new playstyle but it also makes the latter two less unique in what they do. 

their biggest stumbling block has been that they cannot get people to play raids and strikes nearly as much as they hoped/planned, and all of these things are basically them pleading "see you can play whatever you want in raids now, you are totally going to get in to groups and try this content now" even though that is still not the case.  the fact they put legendary armor behind raids and that wasn't even enough to get people to want to do them is telling.   Its almost like they have another issue entirely they they refuse to handle.  Now, thats not to say they might get some success with that new lfg training thing, but lets be real here, if someone was going to do that, they would've done so already.

• Like 2

Actually removing unique buffs was something really needed. They were not bringing uniqueness to a class/build, they were making that class/build inherently stronger than others, which made the comps stagnant and mandatory inside picky scenarios like Raids, and it was really frustrating for a lot of people.

Same problem we had with alac/quick boons. With the redistribution of these boons around more different classes, last months have been such a refreshing experience!

With that said, i don't think having them replaced with copy-pasted aoe passive boons is a nice design. It looks like a very lazy combat design. New boon traits could have been triggered by each class mechanic so that the player has to be aware of what he's doing in order to squeeze the juice out of his traitlines... but seen as some of the patch notes totally make no sense, i guess this was too much of an expectation for now :c

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Without unique buffs and everything being reduced to 5 man, more of the less desired classes will have even less of a place in the meta because whatever can provide alac/quickness or other boons the easiest without having to make many tradeoffs are going to be the only ones picked. So I feel like guardian, engi, and necro will have be even more solidified in the meta.

Ele's new alactrity changes are just wack. It's method of application is so convoluted and it ruins rotations. It reminds of of old hammer 3 with the extremely short timer that forced you change into a different attunement even when it wouldn't be the most optimal decision. For tempest, you're gonna be forced to stay in attunement longer than you might want, or change attunement to something that you dont want to just to keep up alacrity. It's just going to make playing it no fun, especially when you apply it less effectively than other classes and lack damage or healing when taking it.

Herald suffers from the same issue with it's quickness. It basically forces you to double tap every facet and ignore the passive, which is slightly offset by draconic echo extended passive effect, but it just sounds wrong.

Why do both rev and ele need to jump though hoops to get a worse effect than the meta classes and also have butchered dps. It's like a joke. What was supposed to be a big balance patch should really be trying to change the meta a bit, but it seems like they wanted to give the illusion of guardian having competition, but gave the competition worse tools effectively not making new build options because they will be completely inefficient. 

Then lets get onto the fact that they kinda did a flat nerf to most stuff, besides guardian who seemed to only get buffed, again. This does nothing to change the meta or provide new builds and it's only goal is to slow down the power creep. But in the end the meta and the builds will mostly remain the same, just weaker, making things kinda just feel worse. I think toning things down isn't bad, but when you make all meta builds feel worse you gotta introduce more builds and start fixing the broken weapons and traits to allow different builds to be effective. Ele's staff is still too slow and clunky for the sped up pace of the game, its just out dated. Ele's traits are also stuck in the stone age besides fire which is somehow better at defense than water and earth due to cDPS being the meta and having better cleansing potential than water. Water and earth traitlines definitely need some attention too. And lets not forget the attunement specific buffs which are completely useless. Like if you are only going to allow us to have buffs in specific attunements, you gotta make the effects stronger. It's completely laughable at this point to still have those in the game. Scepter also used to be a fun weapon that is now only used for gimmicky one shot builds. Besides that one function its skills are outdated just like staff's and haven't kept up with the pace of the game today. Maybe reduce it's ability to one shot while making it a better dueling weapon, idk something tho. And conjures are just left in the trash. Idk something bothers me about summoning a weapon, using 1 skill, and then dropping it. It makes rotations weirdly complicated and if you're summoning a weapon it should at least be a little useful for combat otherwise why make it a weapon bundle, just give me the useful skill as a utility and then I don't have to worry about have to press 2 skills just for 1 effect and dropping weapons on the ground and having to pick them up again. It's bad design.

Now onto the meat of revenant. So the herald changes are wack and it's power damage is just... sad. It still doesn't bring enough to the table to make it worth it. Add in the fact that herald has only 1 good power weapon set, sw/sw. Hammer is trash. It's only use is for WvW spikes and when you need range for some boss mechanic. Make it more well rounded or something. Then there is staff. Yeah it's got some defense and breakbar damage so it has it's uses there, but oh my lordt is it the most clunky thing to use after the last butchering. The delay on 5 seems like a bug and was a cheap fix. It ruins the flow of combat and makes your dps tank for 10 seconds. At this point remove the weapon swap on rev and just make the skills stronger because you guys are failing miserably at providing complementary weapon sets. The ventari changes seem interesting with the removal of the orbs and alacrity so I'm kind of interested to see how that plays out, but I don't do heal rev so it's a little harder for me to tell how that will go. Mallyx design also needs a big fix. The whole spec was reliant on the old resistance but when that  changed, a lot of the skills and traits became suicidal and the defense was removed. Renegade can still put out some easy damage, but the whole concept is kind of ruined. It doesn't need to be made stronger, just its concept and design needs a change because it's old style doesn't work anymore. The feel of most builds on rev just seem incomplete or with continuous nerfing ruined the flow and making it just feel all sorts of clunky. Numbers are the only thing making it work

I think when you, the anet, said you were doing a BIG june balance patch, people thought it would change the meta in a big way. I believed things that were obsolete would see more work done to them to open up new avenues of play. I thought we would see a lot more weapons become viable and maybe some skill and mechanic changes to update the playstyle to the current age of the game. What seemed to have happened was a blanket nerf that hit the classes at the lower end of the meta the hardest and the introduction of key boons on classes on the lower part of the meta and those key boons being too hard and inefficient to maintain with a large tradeoff.

We'll see how bad it is in actual play, but seriously every patch is less exciting than then last. They never provide new viable builds and really just nerf the current viable ones. It reduces the build pool and further reduce the trait selection because more and more it becomes X trait is better than Y and Z trait in all circumstances. Idk who you dudes are consulting for balance advice, but they are wrong. Whatever direction they are trying to take the game is not a fun one. The current state of the guardian and mechanist is absurd, but guardian itself has been top of the meta for too long and is getting such special treatment it's not even funny. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Death perception changes are going to really hurt Power Reapers in Raids, Fractals, and Strikes... Why nerf the class already struggling for that content? 

Give Reaper a party buff...Fury would fit....

Edited by Josiah.2967
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2022 at 8:57 PM, Gorem.8104 said:

Another elem nerf. Another. hahahahaha

How is Harb and Guardian still allowed to be easilly the strongest classes in the entire game and not be super nerfed, yet some of the hardest to play classes in the entire game, ele, keeps getting nerfed and its not even as good as the easier classes to play. 
I'll never understand the way Anet balances. 

Because this is supposed to be a pve balance patch largely. And willbender did get hit (not enough tho). And harb isn't high on the meta in pve. 

As cata / firebrand are generally better quickness providers and ren / virt are better condi dps

Expected harbinger pvp nerfs tho. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, kurosy.1384 said:

Actually removing unique buffs was something really needed. They were not bringing uniqueness to a class/build, they were making that class/build inherently stronger than others, which made the comps stagnant and mandatory inside picky scenarios like Raids, and it was really frustrating for a lot of people.

Same problem we had with alac/quick boons. With the redistribution of these boons around more different classes, last months have been such a refreshing experience!

With that said, i don't think having them replaced with copy-pasted aoe passive boons is a nice design. It looks like a very lazy combat design. New boon traits could have been triggered by each class mechanic so that the player has to be aware of what he's doing in order to squeeze the juice out of his traitlines... but seen as some of the patch notes totally make no sense, i guess this was too much of an expectation for now :c

I don't understand how the unique buffs of ranger spirits or spotter makes a ranger that stronger.  I also don't see how banner made the warrior that strong. Most meta were revolving around banners. 

I would agree with you that it may be a good change that uniqueness of buff should make choices easier and more varied in Raid by either removing them all or granting all classes a unique buff, but that's not what's happening here. It does make it easier, but for the wrong reasons. As a druid, you accept that a whole specialization have traits that won't help your DPS outside of boons. You also accept that your pet is weaker. You also accept that your specialization weapons do crappy damage. The only thing you have left is spirits that now affects only 5 and give boons any other characters can give. You have nothing left that makes you desirable DPS or support wise, because other classes DPS or support wise can do better than you now. 

The problem is that they didn't balance unique buffs with something else that is worth the trade. Warrior and Druid will most likely be forgotten, or even rejected, in any comps because of their shortcomings.

Edited by MathiasXII.7240
  • Like 3

SO!!!! I posted comment here about nice "KILLED" Shadow Arts on thieves. HOW they think about:"it would be cool to destroy the shadow thief",  like this, great, perfect. IF ONLY WILL NERF SHADOW ARTS need thik about delete game. GW2 its perfect game, but after 28 june 2022 maybe die, because of this new balance patch will do it.

P.S. thanks for deleting the comment, because i wrote the truth on this perfect balance patch note

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, MathiasXII.7240 said:

I don't understand how the unique buffs of ranger spirits or spotter makes a ranger that stronger.  I also don't see how banner made the warrior that strong. Most meta were revolving around banners.

Those buffs are a free bonus for the druid's teammates, that can rely on them to raise their precision (in spotter example) and thus invest more stats in power. Let's say you as a dps can build up to a certain number (and have a ceiling represented by the number of equip and buffs you can personally get) and those unique buffs are a way to break that ceiling. Also, there are some builds having trouble capping their crits without that extra, but i'm not going deeper into that matter since i play none of those builds.

Now, if u ask me, i think unique buffs are unnecessary in order to actually clear a raid boss. You can do it with non-meta groups, having a dps way lower than pro groups. Nevertheless there's a good chunk of the comunity who's been expecting those buffs in their comp for years and that's why you find lfg groups asking for very specific builds and thus cutting out a lot of nice stuff which has the only flaw of "not being the optimized solution". But well, i guess that's how meta works.

Speaking of why you would still bring a druid instead of other solutions well, there are many reasons actually. I guess nature spirit still has its strong revive potential. Ranger kit offers tons of cc, eg entangled is still great for some mechanics. Druid can really bring qol aspects to some encounters. Also, with the pulsing boons (and general might distribution), Grace of the Land could actually not be necessary at all and Lingering Light could finally be taken for faster CA. Healing on that got nerfed but that trait wasn't picked up to start with so you end up healing more, as a strange collateral effect xDD
I dunno.. been playing dudu in raids for years, i still see it as a strong and versatile option nevertheless.

But yeah..we both agree those passive buff changes are ..boring to say the least xD

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kurosy.1384 said:

Those buffs are a free bonus for the druid's teammates, that can rely on them to raise their precision (in spotter example) and thus invest more stats in power. Let's say you as a dps can build up to a certain number (and have a ceiling represented by the number of equip and buffs you can personally get) and those unique buffs are a way to break that ceiling. Also, there are some builds having trouble capping their crits without that extra, but i'm not going deeper into that matter since i play none of those builds.

Now, if u ask me, i think unique buffs are unnecessary in order to actually clear a raid boss. You can do it with non-meta groups, having a dps way lower than pro groups. Nevertheless there's a good chunk of the comunity who's been expecting those buffs in their comp for years and that's why you find lfg groups asking for very specific builds and thus cutting out a lot of nice stuff which has the only flaw of "not being the optimized solution". But well, i guess that's how meta works.

Speaking of why you would still bring a druid instead of other solutions well, there are many reasons actually. I guess nature spirit still has its strong revive potential. Ranger kit offers tons of cc, eg entangled is still great for some mechanics. Druid can really bring qol aspects to some encounters. Also, with the pulsing boons (and general might distribution), Grace of the Land could actually not be necessary at all and Lingering Light could finally be taken for faster CA. Healing on that got nerfed but that trait wasn't picked up to start with so you end up healing more, as a strange collateral effect xDD
I dunno.. been playing dudu in raids for years, i still see it as a strong and versatile option nevertheless.

But yeah..we both agree those passive buff changes are ..boring to say the least xD

Well, not playing Druid regularly like you did in Raids, it is true that I might not see the big picture of changes in Druid and I might be missing the point of enabling more variety to Druid builds. I'll wait patiently for the update to be up and running to test this out and see how it plays. Perhaps passive astral force generation will promote a more Astral/Glyph oriented build. I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cityyorknew.1269 said:

We've already lived through the alternative and it was worse.

Classes had unique benefits. Groups required that benefit to function. So only that one class was played.

Not just because it was optimal. But because it was literally the only option.

In real practical terms, we have definitely seen more diversity in options since they started extending these "unique" capabilities to multiple specs.

You also have to consider the fact that they are adding 9 new specs each xpac.

So of course the available toolkits are going to have to be spread out to these new specs.

They aren't going to add half a dozen new unique boons or stat increasing effects each xpac so that the new and old specs are "technically" still unique. That would be pretty absurd.

Edit: I am in no way defending this patch by stating the above. It remains an incredible disappointment.

Edited by Arewn.2368
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I gotta be honest. I don't see why certain elite specs, such as Revenant, and Tempest had to be nerfed in any way.

Elementalist>Tempest are already glass like, and the very few things that still makes it a playable class/ES are the overloads.

Then there are cases such as druid that should have the entire Celestial form mechanics changed.

Celestial form should be toggled rather than timed; and a very short time period at that.

The staff weapon projectile also should not need a target to fire... or at least its aim should be fixed. Not only you need a target, but also it needs to be right in front of you.

The line of sight should be increased because for starters, if you are using sigils that activate on attacking the back or flank of an enemy, they are rendered totally useless on a druid's staff, as you only have a tiny line of sight or the target will unlock. 

These are just a couple of examples out of the many flaws I detected in all classes and Elite Specs. 

I surely hope the professions specific sub forums are being read, to see what players are asking for, instead of certain changes that with all honesty, I see no logical reason as to why.

Warriors being one of the most affected.

I guess I really have to buy my warrior that pink Tutu, huh!?

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/24/2022 at 10:43 AM, Razor.9305 said:

With these Herald cooldown increases, you can only use each Facet once in Glint. All 6 Facets, even under the Facet of Nature buff, will not let you maintain quickness with the maximum possible boon duration. This is assuming you will be allowed to swap between legends in a reasonable fashion.

Herald cannot give reliable quickness with this change. The base quickness duration NEEDS to be 2 seconds at least.

Additionally, increasing the cooldown makes it much clunkier to play. This is a strong nerf pretending to be a buff. I would much rather have the cooldowns remain unchanged and instead nerf the modifiers if that is somehow necessary.

1000% this.

The CD increases are a big damage loss for the spec which isn't even necessary anyway! Herald already has some of THE WORST dps in the entire game, yet somehow it needs a damage loss to compensate for getting quickness? When it already can't take Forceful Persistence with Draconic Echo anyway so is forced to run suboptimally in terms of dps regardless if it wants to "provide quickness?"

The CD changes need to not make it into the game as they're unnecessarily limiting for a spec that is already extremely limited compared to other classes

Edited by LucianTheAngelic.7054
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1