Yes! Floyd Grubb! What a super surprise for WvW!

Swagger.1459

The main question that came to my mind from the blog post: it's not super clear to me how guilds contribute towards an alliance's cap. Would all members of the guild count, or just the members that choose it as their WvW guild? I would hope it'd be the latter, but it raises the question of what happens if an alliance is already at cap, and then people in one of the member guilds try to pick it as their WvW guild - would that cause the alliance to exceed the cap, or would those people be blocked from selecting their guild because it's already "full"?

• ArenaNet Staff

This is still WIP Design, but the current thinking is individual Guilds will have the ability to give Permission to members to select that Guild as their WvW Guild. This allows the Guild Officers to control who will fill their allowed Alliance Capacity. It's one of the major things we will want feedback on during an beta test (not the next, probably 2-3 beta's down the road.)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Stonemist.4680 said:

I also worked on City of Heroes, which is more likely where the excitement comes from. I had a much more public role on that title. Thanks for the welcome! 🙂

Yes! And I’m very excited that you joined this team! Good stuff! 

Edited by Swagger.1459

Just now, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Duration isn't the problem, accessibility is. Skills should be impactful (and 1s boons are not), but they also should requite proper timing and thinking with reasonable counterplay instead of being spammed on (too low) cd or passive and/or pulsing.

I'm guessing you didn't just read the new patch notes its literally boon diarrhea

3 minutes ago, Creativity.3816 said:

I'm guessing you didn't just read the new patch notes its literally boon diarrhea

I did read and i don't like it. My point is, a global -50% boon duration wouldn't stop the diarrhea. It would just make it more ... fluid.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Stonemist.4680 said:

I also worked on City of Heroes, which is more likely where the excitement comes from. I had a much more public role on that title. Thanks for the welcome! 🙂

Thanks for your efforts, Floyd. I ... may have encountered a rogue CoH server once or twice. *cough*
I wish you luck with GW2, it's ... well, it'll keep you busy, let's say that much! Beats sitting at home playing video games, right?

(please make them put multiple capture rings like in ESO ;))

Edited by Svarty.8019

Speaking only for myself, I would be interested in playing alliances even if the queue bug never gets fixed. I know it's frustrating, but if my choice is between having alliances with the queue bug and having to wait an unknown amount of time, I would rather have them WITH the queue bug.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Stonemist.4680 said:

This is still WIP Design, but the current thinking is individual Guilds will have the ability to give Permission to members to select that Guild as their WvW Guild. This allows the Guild Officers to control who will fill their allowed Alliance Capacity. It's one of the major things we will want feedback on during an beta test (not the next, probably 2-3 beta's down the road.)

This seems like it'd be contentious amongst players in guilds whose alliances are skirting the cap, but as long as you have a meaningful player limit on alliances, I think that will be unavoidable.

What happens to players who want to choose a WvW guild, but there's no room for them in that alliance? Do they end up on the same shard if possible? (If so, wouldn't this risk a stacking problem?) If they don't, do they have any choice where they go?

Edited by Ben K.6238

7 hours ago, Stonemist.4680 said:

Ex-City of Heroes/Villians player here!   I'm terrible with names, but I do think I recall yours 🙂  Were you involved in the PvP introduced by City of Villains?  I remember really enjoying that game mode and having the most fun in the game with it.

Edited by DoctorOverlord.8620

8 hours ago, Stonemist.4680 said:

Welcome to GW2! Hope you enjoy game developing here. 🥳

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Swagger.1459 said:

Yeah, of course, the update is cool, but I’m way more excited for Floyd joining the team! So awesome! 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-update-june-2022/

the update is cool? which part of it, i may have missed that. the changes seem quite... pointless. outside of the random reverting of "heal" mantra back to aegis xD

@Yakez.7561 considering the changes, it probably is still the anet company hamster having the lead there. he's doing his best, i'm sure. no dps engi nerf no thief nerf, notsure if rangernerf .. random warri nerfs, random ele nerfs(i guess) + 20 more random changes

idk yet what to think of this. dont think we'll have to change up much, outside of bullying warriors more to learn other classes 😛

Dear Floyd/Stonemist, I have not heard of you before. (Then again ... not playing a lot of other games and I usually do not remember names of the people behind a work. Even for movies I only know a few of the most famous actors by name and face. :D)

A good sigh though ... that you are posting here in the forums. Even directly interacting with someone by answering in a thread shortly after it has been created. We never get this in PvE. I wish the company policy was more allowing for devs to interact with the forums directly.

Feels refreshing. You actually get the feeling that devs read (and know) about the stuff people discuss ... and want. (Instead of "getting maybe read by the community manager and then landing on a desk with other stuff ... where later someone .... might read if if there is time.)

The alliance stuff sounds good. And the stuff about wanting to change the invididual rewards to give more incentive to fight over objectives (vs capping empty objectives).

Personally I have played GW2 from release until end of 2013. Came back in June 2019. PvE only in mid  2020 again ... I think. I only play it at reset friday - to to my weekly wood tier chest. There is soo much other stuff in the game to do. Just not enough time to play more. And I would not want more pressure in terms of rewards that you'd "need" to get. (I always want the +1 from commitment in case I should want to play more in a week - so I always try to get that one.)

PvE and PvP are more interesting for me. In PvP I can feel the sense of having somethign accomplished - cause the matchups are short. You are directly responsible for the win/loss.

In WvW - I would not use it do advertise GW2 (weakest of the 3 game modes imo) I recently encountered the threads about "PPT" (and people not liking this) and about peopl being annoyed by afkers (who just cap a camp every 10 minutes for keeping the participation timer up).

My ideal WvW (when I fearst heart about it when GW2 was new) would be: Actually people wanting to defend and upgrade objectives. (Instead of having big zerg fights anywhere - where it is okay as long as the fight is big.) "Strategy" ... like splitting to attack (forcing the defender to split) multiple objectives. (Instead of all going for zerging + some roamers at the camps.) A close matchup should be decided by the team that can manage this better ... even defending (and upgrading) a camp - to tier 3. Max guild auras everywhere for the best boni for defenders.

I do not know if the alliances can bring this. (If some people still prefer the "tactical" stuff - and the zerg vs. zerg for the "action".) As long as the kills still give points for the server. The change of the personal reward structure could be a first step though.

Now we just need to remove the vetearn creatures and the dailies on them. (This isn't giving an incentive to PvE-only players to go and "play" WvW. They "visit" the map only.) And in the obsidian sanctum it is annoying to go there for the guild mission (like that one fo rmy solo guild) - and lose participationi timer. That at least ... could be changed. (Do not need the timer there. Might actually get more people to go there just "for fun". Now everyone expects it to be empty and only a map that counts down your timer.)

I do not know if you have stats about the usage of the shared participation system of the squats. If this is usedin professional play. (Every time I join a random zerg commaner in my matches it does seem like these slots are not used though.) Defending and scouting should be not be punished - even if it is done by random players. ... that participation thing should get a bigger overhaul. Moving thre rewards maybe more and more to the events (for capping/defending). (Taking into account that actually the system is moving - hopefully - to fighting over even the smallest objcetive ... to hold and upgrade it - with the incentives changing ... more personal rewrds if players are tagged there while fighting.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

14 hours ago, Stonemist.4680 said:

Welcome and thanks for the great blog post. I've not WvW in years and yet it is all super clear and pretty interesting. Glad to see flow charts aplenty (might be the minority on this one!). Excited to see where this is all heading.

• Like 1