A Suggestion Regarding Fishing Stacks and Map Closures [Merged]

Currently one of (if not the biggest) the biggest complaints within the fishing community is the loss of fishing stacks when a map closure is announced.

I understand losing my fishing stacks when I change maps to go to another zone, as that's understandable.  However, it's extremely frustrating to spend 30-45 minutes building up fishing stacks (or get halfway there) only to see that the map is now underpopulated compared to another instance of the same map and will be closing.  While an hour to stay on the current map may seem like an ample amount of time, the problem is that the Day/Night cycle is 2 hours, meaning you are likely only going to be able to take advantage of those fishing stacks during either Day or Night but not both.  And these map closures routinely happen on almost EVERY single map due to the fact that at some point a meta is likely going to occur, meaning players will flood the map for the meta, and once completed will leave the map for the next meta and the map will thus close.  Or worse, the Canthan maps which seem to close 15-20 minutes after I've first arrived.

My suggestion is to extend the 1-hour window for a map closure to a 2-hour window.  This would allow the players who want to retain their fishing stacks access to a full Day/Night cycle. 

The other suggestion I have (but one I imagine would be more difficult to code/implement) is to offer a buff similar to the one offered when a player is notified the map is closing and chooses to move;  A 1-hour buff that replicates the fishing power bonus of 99-fishing stacks but then decreases as the player regains their fishing stacks on the new map.

To Explain:

(Fishing stack bonus when at 99 is 300 power) https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fishing_Power

Buff provides 300 fishing power when the player first moves to the new instance. Buff then decreases to 250 when the player has gained 1-9 Fishing stacks.  Buff then decreases to 200 when the player has gained 10-24 fishing stacks.  So on and so forth until the Buff winds down to 0 fishing power when the player has again reached 99 stacks.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Ronin.4501 said:

I suspect it's not that easy or they probably would've done it already.

I feel you may be right but one can hope.  Your suggestion makes a good alternative, and either way I really hope it's resolved and not just brushed to the side.  It's very defeating and annoying.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Since the "new"has worn of of the fishing and the EoD maps, fishing really has become annoying. In Seitung I have had 5 mapchanges within 30min after changing and loosing my fishing stacks each time. I could have stayed for the fullhour but then I loose my stacks anyway and that is even more annoying. With less than 10 stacks I do mapchange. 

Please make it so that fishing stacks are not lost when taking the volunteer reward, that way fishing stays relaxing as it is supposed to be and not annoying as it is now. The only reason I can come up with for not doing it is keeping the price of ambergris up since it takes more effort to do the fishing collections that way.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

In the meantime, the best tip is to avoid starting a fishing session during the period immediately following the conclusion of the meta on a map. The majority of map closures will be triggered by a mass exodus of players once the meta completes. In the case of Seitung, they are likely heading to Kaineng for the start of the next meta.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, costepj.5120 said:

In the meantime, the best tip is to avoid starting a fishing session during the period immediately following the conclusion of the meta on a map. The majority of map closures will be triggered by a mass exodus of players once the meta completes. In the case of Seitung, they are likely heading to Kaineng for the start of the next meta.

Problem is people intentionally map hop to farm leviathan. So map closings happen a lot faster than the meta rotation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to A Suggestion Regarding Fishing Stacks and Map Closures [Merged]

they should make it that when you reach a stack of 99 you should be able to buy a booster thats for 24 hours. for some karma, no big money.

or like a boon (booster), every 50 fish the boost increase in time over the days and is gone when server reset on monday or when it is.

Edited by Holmindeboks.3490
  • Confused 1

Although i dont do this content, i can understand the frustration and there are good suggestions here. I hope this gets fixed fo you guys!

On 7/5/2022 at 7:04 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

Just fix the stacks so that the buff doesn't disappear on map change.  It's silly.

I think this is the best one. 

1 hour ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

they should make it that when you reach a stack of 99 you should be able to buy a booster thats for 24 hours. for some karma, no big money.

or like a boon (booster), every 50 fish the boost increase in time over the days and is gone when server reset on monday or when it is.

This seems like to much work and not every map has a fishing supplier. This will demotivate players i think!

After Months, the Map Change warning is still the nemisis of those after Fishing Achievements.

It is making me pull my hair out. I just lost a full stack because the map closed. Hours of work taken away for no reason at all.

This, in my oppinion, is a massive oversight. Come on ArenaNet, you know very well how grindy it is to get the stack up to max, and your "offer" of a volunteers blessing does not equate to the MASSIVE buffs we can loose.

Seriously time for a massive overhaul.

• 1 year later...
  • You must change position basically every minute because you only get 3 casts per spot and most fishing spots are 4000 units apart
  • Fishing is very hard, in some places borderline impossible without the appropriate buffs, like sushi and fishing party bonuses.
  • Even with all buffs and fishing party bonuses, some fish will make you sweat and work hard to catch.
  • For fishing party you need to spend hours or consume metric tonnes of Zephyrite Jerky to build up fishing stacks
  • There's enough unique fish and bait in the game to fill up an entire inventory even with the best bags in the game.
  • You get attacked constantly by random wildlife (especially in EoD maps) unless you park your skiff on the edge of their aggro range and cast your fishing pole as far away from the hole you can get away with
  • Some collections with Dusk/Dawn fish which give you a 5 minute window (9-12 attempts) of frantically surfing around trying catch a fish, but you might not get it for 10 cycles.
  • If you leave your Skiff for more than 10 seconds, you lose all your fishing party stacks.
  • If you change your map, you lose all your fishing party bonuses
  • Finally, I have independently reached Fishing Party Tier VI! Now to catch really good fish...
  • You have 10 minutes to volunteer before the map closes.
  • You have 9:59 minutes to volunteer before the map closes.
  • You have 9:58 minutes to volunteer before the map closes.
  • (By the way this means you lose all your stacks)

Since the jerky is so cheap now, it's not a big deal, but kitten, it's quite a lot of work for what I expected to be as simple as "pick a spot, cast your fishing rod, and pay attention to something else"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

It is pretty relaxing, I guess until you fixate on maximizing profit or rushing the collections, at which point I'd say you're doing it to yourself.

1 hour ago, Player.2475 said:

or consume metric tonnes of Zephyrite Jerky to build up fishing stacks

Isn't it, like... 4?

Since the jerky is so cheap now, it's not a big deal

Now I'm confused. If you understand it's not a problem then why are you listing it as one? Just to make a bigger list?

• Even with all buffs and fishing party bonuses, some fish will make you sweat and work hard to catch.

And disagreed.

Skipped point doesn't mean I agree with it btw, most of it looks like an attempt to forcefully look for a problem that's easly avoided or nonexistent in the first place -even moreso when someone apparently "just wants to have some relixing fishing time". Losing stacks when the map is closing shouldn't be a thing though.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

considering most of your complaint is about fishing stacks:
the fishing locations are not created equal, you will find many other fishers at the more lucrative places. many of the regular fishers will share stacks and it is not uncommon to see a squad there to do that. this also has the benefit that you can hop off your skiff to participate in a nearby event and return to fishing as long as one squad member remains fishing.

i do find it requires very little attention for the amount of profit it provides. once your on the map and have your route (maybe even highlighted with squadmarkers) you can use 90% of your attention for something else on a second screen for example.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Player.2475 said:

...snip...

it's quite a lot of work for what I expected to be as simple as "pick a spot, cast your fishing rod, and pay attention to something else"

If that kind of activity is all you really want, go to Kessex Hills, find a patch of Toxic Seedlings, find the one that gives the Pristine Toxic Spore Sample, then every 10 minutes when it respawns harvest it, then go back to paying attention to something else.  Slot a glyph of bounty for the rare jackpot dopamine hit since the seedlings already have a chance of granting more than 1 PTSS.

~EpWa

Edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Fishing was meant to be +1 feature for expansion and it is +1 feature for expansion.

To be real:

1. Fishing stacks needs some "rework" or update or just remove them and add those +99 stacks as base
  2. Reduce the amount of fish you can actually fish
    • like 5 fish available at day, 5 fish available at night, no fishes available at night and day, this would also mean that 10 or less baits in total and nothing more
    • no dusk/dawn fishes
  3. Remove fishing holes, any place is good for fishing and based on map and bait I get chance to get 1 of 5 fishes
  4. Fishing minigame should be faster to finish
  5. Changes above would probably need some changes in rewards from fishing

With this fishiing would become more relaxing and enjoyable activity.

• Confused 3

I initially thought that fishing would be an activity you could do while waiting for something to happen (like a meta) or if you wanted to have some cool down after an intense phase of the game (like several PvP matches, strikes/raids, big WvW zerg fights etc.), with little button clicking and interaction.
What I got was an activity that needs a lot of build up (food, buffs, fishing stacks) you can potentially lose (map change, hostile NPC environments etc) and you need a dex game to actually catch something ... not counting horrible inventory management that comes with fishing.
Perhaps it was never intended for what I wanted, but it would have served my needs more, because there are a lot of intense activities in game and more casual stuff I sometimes want to have too. Choosing between fishing to calm down or really go AFK / log-off, the later option is always the winner.

• Confused 2

Seems like fishing indeed was not designed as relaxing, but changing it to much now will greatly devalue related achievements.

But at least I would like to have fishing stacks to carry over maps closure and persist for like 10 mins without skiff while you are looking for fishing hole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRay.2391 said:

Seems like fishing indeed was not designed as relaxing, but changing it to much now will greatly devalue related achievements.

This is terrible argument and I get it, but it mean that you can never improve anything. You will always have ppl which got something when it was easier or harder.

In general ppl with power/valueables/status want to keep and actually gatekeep other ppl to join them. We can see it in real life with older generation "These kids nowdays wants everything without any hard work" and in MMOs you can see it from young ppl "They should grind it as I did and not getting it for almost free".

It is funny and sad at same time. Like in real life you have group of ppl complain about older generation and their nonsense and at same time they are at same position and have exactly same behaviour.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

This is terrible argument and I get it, but it mean that you can never improve anything. You will always have ppl which got something when it was easier or harder.

In general ppl with power/valueables/status want to keep and actually gatekeep other ppl to join them. We can see it in real life with older generation "These kids nowdays wants everything without any hard work" and in MMOs you can see it from young ppl "They should grind it as I did and not getting it for almost free".

It is funny and sad at same time. Like in real life you have group of ppl complain about older generation and their nonsense and at same time they are at same position and have exactly same behaviour.

It's the same argument as raids had... If they will introduce more relaxing fishing mode that will not count towards achievements you probably will not be happy.

Edited by WRay.2391
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, WRay.2391 said:

It's the same argument as raids had... If they will introduce more relaxing fishing mode that will not count towards achievements you probably will not be happy.

That is issue. If something is not performing as you expect or want, then you change it. Also why rework of fishing by definition mean that you change you know feature itself so it become more user friendly.

"Story" raids could be something like story dungeons. Only issue with "story" raids having same rewards as normals ones would be economy since more ppl would play it and more ppl would get rewards.

PS Who care about achievements? It means absolutely nothing. That feel when you meet 3k AP and 40k AP in instanced content and 3k AP is more skilled with higher dps 🤣.

• Confused 1