Siege Turtle impossible.

Not new to gw2, but newish to posting. I don't know how to contact the Dev's or even if it is possible.  I don't have a lot of time.

I just wanted to get off my chest, give feedback on how inconsiderate it has been, to place the siege turtle behind a strike mission.

I have found I am not the only person, after all this time and so many, many attempts at the strike, that has still not been able to finish.

Your game is not accessible to all walks of life or abilities, or lack thereof.

I would ask you to do better.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 4

54 minutes ago, TaliesinRevel.5971 said:

Not new to gw2, but newish to posting. I don't know how to contact the Dev's or even if it is possible.  I don't have a lot of time.

I just wanted to get off my chest, give feedback on how inconsiderate it has been, to place the siege turtle behind a strike mission.

I have found I am not the only person, after all this time and so many, many attempts at the strike, that has still not been able to finish.

I lead this strike recently with an entirely random PUG group from training tab, they did a really good job and cleared it on the first try with no deaths, all they had to do was listen. If players don't listen then the content becomes impossible, it has nothing to do with it being difficult.

if you notice the group is uncooperative, leave right away. Don't subject yourself to it. When you get good teamwork you'll clear it easily even if they're mostly newbies.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Endaris.1452 said:

Impossible is a strong word. That strike mission is not all that difficult, it does not compare at all with raids or even Boneskinner.

But... the Boneskinner strike is easy as well. :classic_huh: Or did you mean in regards to the reflexes required?

In any case, perhaps the OP has certain disabilities that make it impossible for them to clear any endgame content of this caliber?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

13 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

But... the Boneskinner strike is easy as well. :classic_huh: Or did you mean in regards to the reflexes required?

Higher damage pressure in general, mechanics that can instantly bring you to full death. Make that strike as long as Kaineng Overlook and it's probably a decent bit above that one.

But yeah, reflexes too, I currently feel that one a lot as I'm playing on 270 ping. The Kaineng Overlook tells give you a lot of time to react in comparison and are generally much more forgiving in regards to ressing people. It's mostly just long.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TaliesinRevel.5971 said:

OP were you trying to solo it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

The two things I've seen the most kill people in this strike is always being in front of Li and not knowing when to stack or not stack. For this part its like a dance, when you see his yellow strike area, you can dodge then avoid fellow aoes and then come together in the green ally field.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a casual, less-skilled player I also was deeply resentful of the decision to tie obtaining this mount to focused group content, as I have largely avoided this type of play until now .. after so much hype for the turtle, it felt unfair, almost a betrayal, to lock the content behind a game-style that I had previously been able to ignore.  There are many threads already discussing this point, so I won't rehash... but I do sympathize.

That said, my desire for the mount outweighed my fear of group content, and with a couple of patient individuals who knew what they were doing, completed my first Strike mission and obtained the mount.  Without any basis of comparison, I did find the mission a little long... we got it on the third try, and was skeptical but grateful that the two who were leading were willing to retry the couple of times that they did... Ultimately with some group knowledge and cooperation, your actual contribution to the outcome of the Strike can be minimal and offset by others... That was certainly the case for me!

Best advice as mentioned by Mariyuuna, if you find yourself in a group where someone isn't actively leading, abort and find a new group as it will only lead to additional frustration.  

Best of luck!

Edited by Garrison Storm.3046
clarity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

Without any basis of comparison, I did find the mission a little long... w

It is long..

Even with a decent group, with Li's hp going down pretty quickly, the add phases just drag the fight out. They have faaar too much hp imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Have you tried asking your guild/s if they can help you?

Players are often willing to go out of their way to help guild members, including being more patient than they might otherwise and working around limitations. It's also easier to coordinate when you can plan it in advance than forming a random group through the LFG tool. In particular you can let them know about any relevant limitations which make it difficult or impossible for you to do all the mechanics so they can plan for that.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

On 7/25/2022 at 8:12 PM, TaliesinRevel.5971 said:

I went with a group of randoms. We took 3 attempts to complete it, and I got the finishing blow on the boss. It's not difficult, but if you don't follow the mechanics quickly, and have horrible group DPS then it's going to be challenging, or take you forever to get it right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/26/2022 at 6:33 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Comparing Kaineng Overlook to Boneskinner, that's new, they are nowhere near eachother. Kaineng doesn't need any lightning reflexes, most mechanics capable of downing you have VERY LONG animations.  

On 7/26/2022 at 7:30 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

The Mech's laser in the KO strike will kill you just as fast if you don't dodge it. 😉

It happens less than Boney's claws with a longer - and more visible - windup. No need to dodge it, just walk out of the obvious red carpet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Comparing Kaineng Overlook to Boneskinner, that's new, they are nowhere near eachother. Kaineng doesn't need any lightning reflexes, most mechanics capable of downing you have VERY LONG animations. 

Exactly. I would never compare the two, either, but the person I quoted did, claiming that Boneskinner was harder. And the only "difficulty" I could think of was the reaction times required to dodge during the Boneskinner encounter (I wouldn't call that difficult, but apparently the person I quoted seems to think that dodging AoE was a difficult mechanic 😉).

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Exactly. I would never compare the two, either, but the person I quoted did, claiming that Boneskinner was harder. And the only "difficulty" I could think of was the reaction times required to dodge during the Boneskinner encounter (I wouldn't call that difficult, but apparently the person I quoted seems to think that dodging AoE was a difficult mechanic 😉).

Well you can just outheal boneskinner its hard to outheal insta downs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Hi there! If you're struggling with the strike mission, I'd be happy to get a group of people and lead you through it, so long as you have a good attitude and are kind to the others in the group.

This goes for anyone -- if you need help getting through Kaineng Overlook, I'm happy to assist!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well you can just outheal boneskinner its hard to outheal insta downs.

The last time I lead this mission we just took two revs and cheesed it with Rite of the Great Dwarf. There's always a way to cheapen the content and the fun of Guild Wars has always been finding it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

As one who played from beginning and did the strikes when they were new, the content is always hard and seems impossible at first because everyone doesn’t know what to expect. Also is true with people learning fractals, raids, maybe even doing a story mission for the first time. If you’re interested in learning and spending time on it, it becomes easier in the sense that not only you learn where to stand and when, but you require less reaction time because you start to expect when things are going to happen, finding yourself getting into position at the right time much easier. I did this Kaineng Outlook strike on my alt account the other day for turtle, and the encounter was extremely long because you had maybe one person die quickly, by the sniper phase close to half were dead. By end of sniper phase 5-6 maybe dead and we finished Li off. After spending a lot if time on sniper phase, you find the mechanics for sniper phase come in a certain order. There is no timer so no pressure to finish quickly. I see people run this one a lot so don’t feel discouraged. I have been in plenty groups doing the dailies/weeklies where people were thankful we finished the fight (after they died) so they could get turtle. Get some good people in your team and someone who can lead and you will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2022 at 8:12 PM, TaliesinRevel.5971 said:

to place the siege turtle behind a strike mission.

I am not an expert in GW2 strike missions (only done one about 2 years ago before taking a break from gw2).  At the time I did the Minister Li strike mission I wasn't in a guild and didn't have any gw2 friends to call on. 

But I decided to just do it anyways.

1. Watched many youtube videos on Minister Li aka Kianeng Overlook strike mission.  Be careful not to watch the Challenge Mode ones because you don't need to know those mechanics

2. Opened LFG and under the Strike Missions - Training I created my own group. 

3. I got mostly people who hadn't done any strike missions before but I wasn't being picky I just needed warm bodies. 

4. After I got 10 warm bodies (took 20 minutes), I explained the mechanics.  Most had done the EoD story so they were somewhat familiar but the strike does have more mechanics.

We charged in and we wiped in 5 minutes.  Charged in again and wiped again.  Charged in again and VICTORY!

Yes, its very possible for someone who has no gw2 friends or guild to do this.  You have to put in the effort though.

Edited by EmmetOtter.8542
  • Like 8

My belief is the Anet really want players to play strike and raids, so keep putting in requirements to do a strike - previously, it was for collections, which I found somewhat annoying if 15 items for that achievement/collection was open world, but a strike is needed to be able to fully complete it.  I've basically written off a bunch of achievements as "I'll just never do these" because of those requirements.

I have done some strikes.  I tend to find them less enjoyable than PvE.  Maybe Anet should get a clue at some point that the reason people don't do strikes is because it just doesn't appeal to a lot of people, and putting collections/achievements that require strikes doesn't really change the opinion people have of them (or may make feelings worse, as players feel they are forced into content they don't want to do)

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

I did this again today since I hotjoin the training groups regularly.

When I joined everyone was a little upset from repeated failures, and the comm wasn't really communicative, so I went ahead and just explained the mechanics to everyone as we went along. We wiped once due to players struggling with the concept of the numbers, and the second time we lost a few players but completed the strike.

Apparently doing it on the 2nd try with completely random pugs means "impossible". After they thanked me, I asked them to teach others how to do the strike and left.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 4