Just what is the point of necro anymore?

Valisha.8650

On 8/3/2022 at 5:55 PM, Bakeneko.5826 said:

You forgot to mention, that it needs whole life support unit truck to keep DPS high, like Weaver used to. Also, consumables cost kidney and a half, or, if you run budget variant, necro will do similar DPS in real encounter environment

Edit: nvm, build is changed now, you can disregard this comment.

Even if you don't need precision food anymore the requirements for a high DPS Virtuoso is still high. Not to mention you need to line up most enemies to get max dps which normally leaves you outside the Zerg's boons.

4 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Even if you don't need precision food anymore the requirements for a high DPS Virtuoso is still high. Not to mention you need to line up most enemies to get max dps which normally leaves you outside the Zerg's boons.

Il admit if you can get a stable amount of DPS thats pretty nice, especially if before it wasn't.

1 hour ago, Valisha.8650 said:

Sure thing.

DPS - Condi Virtuoso

Quickness - Firebrand

Barriers - Specter

Low skill floor - Mechanist

Anything else necro does, which I have forgot to mention?

Float, you forgot to mention float

And the most powerful skill in the game EoA

And other boons

Virt: no sustain

Firebrand:^

Specter: sacrifice damage heavily (you could consider specter as a necro) and reaper has more but is stuck to melee

Low skill floor: mechanist has low skill floor

Core: marks are awful when used properly

Harb: can do all except barrier(not to say it is weak as the current meta build can use deaths carapace

Scourge: got nerfed

Reaper: has A LOT of sustain but doesn't do much damage

Necro is the only class whose core mechanic is to give themselves an extra health bar but reduce strike damage(not condi) other professions can do more in individual things  but necro gets first in doing everything.

I don't play necro For moral reasons so I kind of feel left behind on the meta bandwagon which necro seems to be always on. Sorry if necro is your favorite.

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Confused 3

25 minutes ago, Infinity.2876 said:

So just like Harbinger, except condi Virtuoso has parasitic contagion built into it.

You have Aegis on demand, twice; "Advance!", plus the one from your virtue

Specter: sacrifice damage heavily (you could consider specter as a necro)

26k is still pretty decent for an easy to play alac build. The second part is totally correct, I actually play Specter as a necro replacement.

I don't play necro For moral reasons

I can somewhat relate to this, yet in my case, I do not play guardian for the aforementioned particular reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Parpage.9867 said:

You have literally almost 0 reasons to play it, why bother when mechanist exist? Unless you need to strip boons (wich other classes can do better lmao) or equip blood magic to vacuum people from death you should just use pMech that's it

Which class can strip boons better? Also, some encounters just prefer condi builds.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Which class can strip boons better? Also, some encounters just prefer condi builds.

Mesmer and revenant can strip objectively better, it doesn't matter that some fights prefer condi builds pMech is so cracked that doesn't care (have a look at SC encounters), also guess what? Mechanist has also a condi build too, so it doesn't matter 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

Float, you forgot to mention float

And the most powerful skill in the game EoA

And other boons

Specter: sacrifice damage heavily (you could consider specter as a necro) and reaper has more but is stuck to melee

Low skill floor: mechanist has low skill floor

Core: marks are awful when used properly

Harb: can do all except barrier(not to say it is weak as the current meta build can use deaths carapace

Scourge: got nerfed

Reaper: has A LOT of sustain but doesn't do much damage

Necro is the only class whose core mechanic is to give themselves an extra health bar but reduce strike damage(not condi) other professions can do more in individual things  but necro gets first in doing everything.

I don't play necro For moral reasons so I kind of feel left behind on the meta bandwagon which necro seems to be always on. Sorry if necro is your favorite.

People like you are the reason why reaper is so garbage. "MuH sEcoNd HeaLtH baR" it's such a stupid argument used by people who don't use it, high sustain? Really? Lmao. Too bad that you forget that if you tank a slap on reaper his shroud gets depleted and you can say goodbye to that little dps it does (oh and btw keep in mind that even an afk mechanist can bench higher that power reaper, yes it is that bad) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

With there to four necros in every conquest match, somebody seems to think they still have a point.

They do, forum warriors tend to forget why necro is good in the first place. Some people think that condi virtuoso is better condi strip, forgetting it needs life support to function, or alac needs to sacrifice good bit of DPS just to do what scourge does on rotation, or by sacrificing 500 dps, with better survivability. Everyone is entitled to their wrong opinion.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

38 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

With there to four necros in every conquest match, somebody seems to think they still have a point.

I'm pretty sure OP is talking about PvE, not PvP/WvW. Also harbringer being strong in those game modes doesn't excuse the fact that reaper is garbage in PvE, balance split between game modes exist for a reason 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Parpage.9867 said:

I'm pretty sure OP is talking about PvE, not PvP/WvW. Also harbringer being strong in those game modes doesn't excuse the fact that reaper is garbage in PvE, balance split between game modes exist for a reason 

Ah. I don’t play necro, so I don’t know reaper.

I do see a ton of necros in PVE though. Is that just players being faithful to characters that used to be good?

Is all elite specs strong in all game modes the goal?

14 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Ah. I don’t play necro, so I don’t know reaper.

I do see a ton of necros in PVE though. Is that just players being faithful to characters that used to be good?

Is all elite specs strong in all game modes the goal?

You see tons of them because scourge is easy to play with a priority list instead of an actual rotation (now that power mech is a thing everyone is flocking to that spec for the same principle). 

Ideally yes, having more options than the usual 3-4 specs would be nice in my opinion lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

There also a lot of guys like me who just like the astehtics of the class. I play it almost exclusive since i started out in GW2 years ago. I always played darker classes in mmo's. Necromancer/Shadowknigth in EQ/EQ2. Unholy Death Knigth in WoW. My second most played type of classes are Paladins/Templars/Clerics. But in GW2 Guardian for me don't scratch this itch. Core Guardian is okayish but the other especs don't work for me. Too much blue fire, or traps, or mantras. Not my stuff. Tried all other classes, only Mesmer/Chrono somehow feels nice to play and really uniqe. So i will play necromancer till i quit playing i guess.

51 minutes ago, Parpage.9867 said:

You see tons of them because scourge is easy to play with a priority list instead of an actual rotation (now that power mech is a thing everyone is flocking to that spec for the same principle). 

Ideally yes, having more options than the usual 3-4 specs would be nice in my opinion lol

Oh definitely, more than the 3-4 specs people flock to would be nice.

My question was more, should all three especs on any given profession be strong in every game mode?

39 minutes ago, SunTzu.4513 said:

There also a lot of guys like me who just like the astehtics of the class. I play it almost exclusive since i started out in GW2 years ago. I always played darker classes in mmo's. Necromancer/Shadowknigth in EQ/EQ2. Unholy Death Knigth in WoW. My second most played type of classes are Paladins/Templars/Clerics. But in GW2 Guardian for me don't scratch this itch. Core Guardian is okayish but the other especs don't work for me. Too much blue fire, or traps, or mantras. Not my stuff. Tried all other classes, only Mesmer/Chrono somehow feels nice to play and really uniqe. So i will play necromancer till i quit playing i guess.

Same reason I still play Elementalist. I consistently don’t like what ANet does with it, but I like the mage class fantasy enough I keep coming back.

35 minutes ago, SpiderZ.9146 said:

Core Necros is quite good for staying alive in dangerous PvE fights and reviving less tanky players. As my saying goes, "there are only two professions in GW2: Necros and Squish".

And specter, with 28k hp, second healthbar, alac, not to mention 50% heal by just leaving the aforementioned second healthbar.

Oh, don't forget staff mirage with its 25 might / alac, and 3 clones to tank away its aggro.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/7/2022 at 7:45 PM, Valisha.8650 said:

Sure thing.

DPS - Condi Virtuoso

Quickness - Firebrand

Barriers - Specter

Low skill floor - Mechanist

Anything else necro does, which I have forgot to mention?

If that's what you're building your complaint on then what is the point of any build/spec/profession other than the ones you've just mentioned? 🤔

• Confused 1

On 8/8/2022 at 1:05 AM, Parpage.9867 said:

You have literally almost 0 reasons to play it, why bother when mechanist exist? Unless you need to strip boons (wich other classes can do better lmao) or equip blood magic to vacuum people from death you should just use pMech that's it

Here is the good part ... people that play Reaper DO have reasons to play it, even if other classes like mechanist exists. There is no "you SHOULD use" in this game ... unless you are going to push meta on people that don't care about it.

• Confused 2