This game needs to be more clear about how to earn gold

Just now, Taclism.2406 said:

would you say so if mistlock / thousands seas pavillon passes (or even S3&4 books) werent a thing? 

I cut it short to "free waypoints" because its mostly a new/poor people tax. The convenience already exist but its locked behind gemstore (or very in your journey provided you play story in chronological order) ; or behind obscure features (eg porting to pvp hub to go back to lion arch for free)

I was somewhat ok with 2-3 silver average before eod, but 20 silver to port back and forth from eod to tyria is insane

I would be.  I don't own 'em now.  I had problems with fast travel for about the first 30 minutes that I played the game, way back when I first started.  After that, I used them at will, gotta use that money for something, may as well be that.

5 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Just use the portal in LA

Ok I'm not gonna lie, I literally forgot that one existed. Is it still only working once arborstone mastery is maxed or did they fixed it?

6 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

or the Arborstone Portal Scroll.

that "sort of" goes into the gemstore category (and why I listed S3&4 books in the first place) imo, making shared inventories slots more appealing to make all that actually convenient. I strongly doubt players collecting and actively using port items open their bank for it each time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Taclism.2406 said:

The downside of any MMO that sells gold

Gw2 does NOT sell gold (it does not invent gold out of thin air to earn real-world money).

It has a Gem-Shop and that is providing Items for real-money in form of Gems.

And it offers players a market to trade their ingame earned gold for Gems to other players.

But that means Gem-Shop needs to be attractive to buy stuff for real money, or no one would sell gold for gems.

If this sounds like hairsplitting to you, it is econimically a big difference, in a game that sells gold invented for that directly, gold rather sooner than later would have no value.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Taclism.2406 said:

would you say so if mistlock / thousands seas pavillon passes (or even S3&4 books) werent a thing? 

I cut it short to "free waypoints" because its mostly a new/poor people tax. The convenience already exist but its locked behind gemstore (or very late in your journey provided you play story in chronological order) / behind obscure features (eg porting to pvp hub to go back to lion arch for free)

I was somewhat ok with 2-3 silver average before eod, but 20 silver to port back and forth from eod to tyria is insane

I don't own any of those passes.

Again, I don't see new players porting all over maps they haven't even unlocked yet.  By the time they unlock maps and/or play some storyline, they should begin to acquire enough funds to manage the few portals they can access.

How many new players are going to be porting from EoD to Tyria and back?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

How many new players are going to be porting from EoD to Tyria and back?

I port a lot between the LA Aerodrome, Eye of the North, Arborstone and Dragon's End. I constantly use the GH teleporter, portal tomes and Arborstone scroll. I rarely spend more than 2-4s per waypoint.

If you don't want to have two loading screens every time you go to a map, it's about 8-12s to map between Tyria and Cantha. It would add up if you did it a lot, but the Arborstone scroll is free, and you can get back to Tyria for free too (GH, via PvP, and via WvW), and even new players can access those.

I log in. I do my dailies. I kill things while running around. I gather stuff. I salvage my drops. I sell my materials on the TP. I have a decent amount of gold, 3 sets of legendary armor, and a variety of exotic and ascended weapons. Ive never watched a video about making gold in gw2, never read a guide. Never had a high end drop. I dont generally do a ton of the popular metas that people talk about as being the best gold per hour.

Just kill stuff, gather, salvage, and sell on the TP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You make gold doing the big metas selling off everything, craft things that sell well, do high level fractals, do raids, strikes, daily log in, loot the chests in jps. I was the same for a long time. But now I am doing good. T6 mats sell for a lot collect ancient bones from map rewards the chests metas . 

3 hours ago, ruikarikun.9402 said:

Wait how do you get 10g in T4? I get 10g in T2.

I thought T4 gives like 40g?

I said cash in NPC sellable garbage items, not total profit (make everyting you get to money, in the most profitable way) and especially not total profit/h (which is nice for efficency comparirions, but not related to what you can get, as you cannot repeat it).

Today T4+rec should in average give 20g Total profit

And yeah todays T2+rec should give around 10g total profit.

40g total profit you probably only get close to with CMs+T4+Rec

Edited by Dayra.7405

The best methods for making gold/money are the ones that are not widely known. 

New expansion are great oppportunity for making gold due to scarcity of new mats and general shake up of prices. While its already a bit late, its still not settled.

Hint there are some updates in pipeline that will surely be great opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Taclism.2406 said:

I cut it short to "free waypoints" because its mostly a new/poor people tax. The convenience already exist but its locked behind gemstore (or very late in your journey provided you play story in chronological order) / behind obscure features (eg porting to pvp hub to go back to lion arch for free)

If they're going through maps in chronological order then they won't be going to Cantha until very late in the story either, shortly before they get the Arbourstone scroll and probably long after they've learned to use the Heart of the Mists for free access to a bank, TP and merchant and to get back to LA.

If waypoint fees are an issue for a new player it's probably because they used their level 80 boost and jumped into late-game content like the expansions right away and if their biggest problem with doing that is paying for waypoints then they've got some method to figure out everything else (likely help from friends or following a guide) and can find out how to make gold the same way, and how to get around paying for waypoints all the time.

• Like 1

I haven't chimed in here because I was a little confused by the idea that a game would need to spell out how to make gold. I don't tend to pursue gold for the sake of it, and there are plenty of sites out there to explain gold farming if people want to be that systematic. In general, pursue most endgame goals and you'll make gold along the way.

As a new PvPer, for example, I've been surprised by just how much gold I'm making without intent.

While continuing to follow the thread, though, I do have one reaction to what seems to be the primary way to make gold: selling mats. The game has accumulated so many different things over the years made with long lists of so many different kinds of mats, I find it hard to anticipate what I might want to keep. What might I discover next week in the game that looks like fun to pursue, only to find I sold off my stack of charged molten resonating storm inquest crystal bone cores?

So while the game does hand out gold pretty liberally (with the exception of WvW as far as I've experienced), if you don't want to throw away gold some significant research can be required.