Whelp, the Tenth Anniversary/Birthday Gift is here.

The 'prestige' complaints make little sense--I can get out my beta hat or GW1 unlock gifts and have prestige.  

I can see being miffed about not having dye packs in the gifts anymore, but those asking for big rewards for a 10 y/o account makes little sense.  

Again, you have some of us playing from GW1, so 17 years atm--it is what it is.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been playing for 5 yrs. Actually started in the Beginning but lost that account, gw is dear to my heart where I'd watch the old hot ,pof, trailers and I get teary eyed, 😢 the music, the humor the team work the fun, .....I'm saddened to say I'm disappointed 😞 with the 10th anniversary gifts 🎁,  and the celebration...my hubby has been playing for 10yrs ....he's saddened too , it's like we veterans all we got was a Thank you, one revive orb ,5 teleport to friends?!...and a note to welcome our steam players......and now we are forced to play pvp to complete the achievement:( some folks in there are big meanies:((

Edited by cutiedanger.6302
:(
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

22 hours ago, Spiral.3724 said:

I got my gift, yay! Chose Limesicle dye cuz of course I got Bubblegum last year. 😄
The Decade weapons are nicely made but I don't like the pinkish colour. Was hoping for a more pure red or orange-fire red hue.
Also disappointed the Decade Warhorn doesn't have a unique sound! Come on!!! You missed an opportunity there, Anet.

it's rust red not pink xD lol

55 minutes ago, cutiedanger.6302 said:

I have been playing for 5 yrs. Actually started in the Beginning but lost that account, gw is dear to my heart where I'd watch the old hot ,pof, trailers and I get teary eyed, 😢 the music, the humor the team work the fun, .....I'm saddened to say I'm disappointed 😞 with the 10th anniversary gifts 🎁,  and the celebration...my hubby has been playing for 10yrs ....he's saddened too , it's like we veterans all we got was a Thank you, one revive orb ,5 teleport to friends?!...and a note to welcome our steam players......and now we are forced to play pvp to complete the achievement:( some folks in there are big meanies:((

Yep! I was super annoyed seeing that I would be forced to play PvP for the cape - I haven't even touched PvP before (WvW doesn't count), and I honestly don't know if I want to. I thought we could choose 10 of the 20 achievements to get the cape, but when I read it I saw you had to do all 20. Why not just let us pick 15/20 to complete?

Forcing me to do content I don't ever touch in any game isn't something I'm happy about. The 10th anniversary gifts weren't even great - I think maybe 10$ worth of stuff if that. I was hoping they'd give us a mount skin for the gift, even if it was ugly I'd still take that.*

*Not saying this to sound entitled by the way. But I've been playing GW2 for over 5 years now and I've never seen them give anything big away in the gem shop as a gift. It's usually 1 black lion key every 6-12 months (or whenever they feel like dropping one), boosters galore, transmutation charges, revive orbs, teleport to friend, or anything else similar to those items.

I know saying this doesn't entitle me to anything extra, but I know others on here have put in a lot of money into their accounts, as have I, and it would definitely be quite nice to get something bigger as a gift once in a while from Anet for the support. Like an outfit or mount skin (as I mentioned), even if they're ugly.

Other games I've played showered players with all kinds of gifts during the birthday week/month, but it's like GW2 doesn't want to let anything go without a cost or by earning them with silly achievement chains.

Oh well. I do really enjoy the game though, so I have gotten my time and money's worth out of GW2 regardless. 😛

Edited by Caitybee.3614
Adding more.
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Fully agree, the 10th birthday present was extremely underwhelming with exception of the new weapon skins.

I also think it is very disrespectful to the older players that basically everyone can farm their reward in form of Proofs of Legend, that we only got 1 while a single armor piece costs 3 proofs and that we need to grind for the armor.

The birthday present with the infusion was far better, imo they could have done a colored title at least for a full decade. I was extremely hyped for nothing 

Edited by GuriGashi.5617
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, GuriGashi.5617 said:

Fully agree, the 10th birthday present was extremely underwhelming with exception of the new weapon skins.

I also think it is very disrespectful to the older players that basically everyone can farm their reward in form of Proofs of Legend, that we only got 1 while a single armor piece costs 3 proofs and that we need to grind for the armor.

The birthday present with the infusion was far better, imo they could have done a colored title at least for a full decade. I was extremely hyped for nothing 

Only 10 year vets should have gotten that armor plus all the other gifts and 2 weapon skin selects for the new weapons.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Only 10 year vets should have gotten that armor plus all the other gifts and 2 weapon skin selects for the new weapons.

Yeah, it being available to everyone kinda diminishes the prestige.

About the only benefit you get from having a ten-year old account over a younger one is that your 10 year old toons each get a Proof.

I dunno, I was just expecting something... better.

I've unlocked all the armour pieces, despite the fact that I don't see myself using it anytime soon; it's far too gaudy for my liking. Very Liberace.

It's not even an interesting journey to get the armour; just lowest-effort "Do an existing activity 10 times", "Kill this world boss" and "Play 10 matches of PvP" garbage, with no lore or quest framework.

And add me to the list of disgruntled 10-year old accounts that has successfully avoided playing PvP all these years, only to discover I have to play it if I want the cape.

Poor form ANet.

On the bright side, I enjoyed the buzz in the community last night. People seemed genuinely excited to be celebrating 10 years and the arrival of our Steam comrades.

Could have done without the lag though 😄

ANet, is there any chance of you adding modern automatic performance adjustments to the game? Like switching to generic models once the local population reaches a certain level, or reducing other details, only for them to snap back when there's less going on?

It would be much appreciated over having to go in to settings and change things manually every time things get busy.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Raizel.8175 said:

The current birthday system doesn't reward loyalty, it simply rewards creating your character at a certain date. Loyalty is rewarded ingame in form of achievement rewards. I don't really care about the skins. I just hope that the dyes will lose their exclusivity one day. I'd really like to have Bubblegum since there really aren't any decent pink dyes apart from Electro Pink (which looks kinda washed out), but I really doubt that GW2 will survive another 5 years.

You know the original guild wars(2005) is still up and running with people actually playing it still. it even had an update a few moths back. so it will have lasted 20 years soon enough. Look at WoW, that's still going, not as popular as it use to be, but clearly covering the cost of running it. 

6 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Yeah, it being available to everyone kinda diminishes the prestige.

About the only benefit you get from having a ten-year old account over a younger one is that your 10 year old toons each get a Proof.

I dunno, I was just expecting something... better.

I've unlocked all the armour pieces, despite the fact that I don't see myself using it anytime soon; it's far too gaudy for my liking. Very Liberace.

It's not even an interesting journey to get the armour; just lowest-effort "Do an existing activity 10 times", "Kill this world boss" and "Play 10 matches of PvP" garbage, with no lore or quest framework.

And add me to the list of disgruntled 10-year old accounts that has successfully avoided playing PvP all these years, only to discover I have to play it if I want the cape.

Poor form ANet.

On the bright side, I enjoyed the buzz in the community last night. People seemed genuinely excited to be celebrating 10 years and the arrival of our Steam comrades.

Could have done without the lag though 😄

ANet, is there any chance of you adding modern automatic performance adjustments to the game? Like switching to generic models once the local population reaches a certain level, or reducing other details, only for them to snap back when there's less going on?

It would be much appreciated over having to go in to settings and change things manually every time things get busy.

you also get more weapon skins, as your 10 year old toon will get the choice of 2 and you can get an extra 1. to ten your old toons can have a full usable weapon set as long as its a one double handed and 2 single handed.  and combination there of.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/23/2022 at 12:08 PM, Gorem.8104 said:

So just realised this, yeah so the proof is not special and I wonder if the merchants are only available during the event, which would mean later characters will get a token that can't be spent, which would be funny. 

No, the vendors will stay forever and will not go away.

However. With the new Decade-meta-achievement you get 20 Proof of Legend and you need only to spent 18 to unlock all Decade armor skins for all weights. And additionally to the skins the vendor has only consumables (food/banner/sharpening stone) that unlock after all armor skins are purchased.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GuriGashi.5617 said:

3 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

You guys still don't understand what you get as a "10th birthday gift" and what is simply related to "celebrating of the game being around for 10 years", don't you? Because these are two different things. Armor isn't your birthday gift.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You guys still don't understand what you get as a "10th birthday gift" and what is simply related to "celebrating of the game being around for 10 years", don't you? Because these are two different things. Armor isn't your birthday gift.

Exactly.

The cake, icecream, games, and lunch for all of your friends at your 10th birthday party were not your gift from your parents, they were part of the celebration for you and your friends. The argument that the armor should be for vets only is like not inviting anyone to the birthday party so that you can eat the whole cake and the big tub of ice cream by yourself.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I am sad to say I was underwhelmed as well. The only anniversary item I actually found good looking was the cape, and it's locked behind 20 achievements, and only looks good on male characters as they've made it shorter on females. Would have been nice to see it as an actual gift as well, to us with 10 y/o accounts, rather than something available to all. 

Oh well.  Maybe at 11 we'll get an actual cool gift again? x)

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

Anet this is by far the worst 10th birthday gift! People that have been with the game for 10 years and you gift them 5000 karma, a dye and weapon sets that is "ok". Cmon, I really cant believe you joked like that with the whole community that's been with you from the start. I'm deeply disappointed from your chose of gifts this year, was expecting way more or at least to be more creative, but this was a pure joke. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/23/2022 at 3:23 AM, IsabelDawn.8950 said:

Unpopular opinion: Birthday gifts shouldnt be too epic. Wouldnt want newer players to feel disadvantaged simply for not playing as long.

I really like how they did an Anniversary Event this year which lets all players get in on the big new thing (the armor set) as opposed to being locked out of it for potentially a whole decade. Hope they keep this up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Update: Count me in to the group of people who has experienced certain levels of disappointment. 😐

The new armor set's helmet cuts off asura ears as well as any facial hair.😒 The cape is stretched horizontally on asura, which isn't pretty. And the banner, food and utility are not permanent (yet you cannot acquire any more tokens?).

Hmph.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, madicen.9045 said:

The cake was better than all of what we got this year 😞 Super disappointing. Wasted an opportunity to do something special, but what we got felt very last minute and rushed.

"this feels so rushed"

*praises cake over 16 weapon skins*

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1