World Linking 9/30/2022

Cal Cohen.2358

I thought of calling the attention of anet if in the meantime it is not the case to think of some small correction. we got used to so little that if you are part of this community of players you can know well any correction / change that puts the balance in the foreground would be like a big party.

they could tell us, since with alliances we will have transfers that work differently we thought of starting to limit them to a maximum of 5% of the population of the world from which they come, starting from next week so you begin to get used to it.

but why shouldn't they do it?

or they could tell us, in anticipation of alliances, we thought of joining some servers in the EU so as to eliminate t5 to check how the queues work.

but why shouldn't they do it?

and so on, small things, do not involve work or new programs to be built, they are just numbers parameters that change. at the same time they are small new things that you give to your players, we begin to accustom him to the things that need to change, small novelties that keep the player's interest, so that the player sees the work of anet in that direction, you can see and feel that the development is really on the piece. you see in fact a mode that prepares for a change. so we feed the curiosity in the player and remove the possibility that he will move away from the game.

copy and paste, I posted it just 3 or 4 days before reconnecting. it would be better not to wait for the day after the reconnections to ask for 3 or 4 small changes to get a little more fun for everyone. and it would be better to ask for the same things in so many players, maybe in this way you get something . or perhaps you have new information that alliance is just around the corner? and not behind the cornerstone. 😎

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, nthmetal.9652 said:

Indeed. We've had way bigger queues with the link - I know people claim "medium == empty" but that very obviously wasn't true with Fort Ranik. In the two months we've had very, very few open tags, but yet you could always find some big groups toying around EB. Fort Ranik was very active I think. Not a bad thing at all.

But we'll see. Maybe I am wrong and with the steam release things have shifted. If we go back to T5, I was probably right - if not, well ... nothing bad with being wrong. 🙂

Try playing on AG last I checked as apperntly high population and usually having out numbered  half the time and really queueing a map other then EB at peak times

3 hours ago, Bluevan.9248 said:

Bad time for relink, i was expecting big fights on eu t1 but we have a shuffle once again instead. From my pov after just 2 weeks of somewhat even numbers in wvw from the last relink now we have a mess again.

Big blame for that goes to Alliances Beta, which happened in first half of last linking and after which the teams were placed into tiers completely at random (or at least that's how it seemed to me). As a result, GH+WSR, the most stacked link at the time, ended up in tier 5, and it took a whole month (and four pretty lopsided matches) before they ended up in tier 1 where they belonged number-wise. 
(Gandara+FR also started in lower tier, though since it was T2/T3 - don't remember exactly - they climbed to T1 much faster).

15 hours ago, Bluevan.9248 said:

Bad time for relink, i was expecting big fights on eu t1 but we have a shuffle once again instead. From my pov after just 2 weeks of somewhat even numbers in wvw from the last relink now we have a mess again.

u likely missed nothing, once things are in t1 its dead af.

but well, the relinkings this time been rather bad across the bord i'd say, just w/e. it's nothing new really. barely anyone cares to bother with this exiled gamemode anymore, motivation to play drops with each of anets fake balance patches more and more

that one dev working on Wvw does his best to kill it finally

On 9/30/2022 at 8:05 PM, Xenesis.6389 said:

And then you were opened and got stacked.

Are you saying the FULL server was hard carried by a MEDIUM server from T5 to T1?

I am so glad that you wrote this post to demonstrate what so many of you do not have a single clue about. You and those others keeps on writing this posts and show that you have no understanding of how hosts and links and relinks and population works. This post right here is EXACTLY what happen.

So yes my dear you are completely and totally RIGHT about what you felt was an insult. What is sad though is that neither you OR Arena Net was aware of EU servers and what guilds and other people are on what server and what they bring to the table. 

Let me paint this to you. First of all, ALL server without a link fall down to tier 5 and have been for years now. This is a known fact and is not a Gandara issue but a over all issue for hosts that Anet choose to place in that position. They sit in tier 5 sometiems move up to 4 and then back down again because none of us have enough population. Population and game time is NOT the same thing, even though Arena Nets tools feel it is.

For some reason not all host servers will go through this. For some reason only some hosts  even though many of the other hosts have more population then those is always getting picked. And within this some of those picked servers get picked more often. How about having a more fair way of doing it by actually circle through all hosts so that noone get treated badly and have a kitten WvW for so long. Why should a few servers have no link at all for months, half a year or year? Why not let all servers go thorugh it so that it at least feels fair.

Now back to you and other people who don't understand what is going on. So Gandara have had Fort Ranik as a link a few times in the past and it was always a good link because FR was not very populated but it was enough people on it for Gandara to get a bit of a breathing room and catch up on sleep after not having links for months and months and months sometimes years. 

BUT this time neither you or Arena Net where aware of that Fort Ranik is now a server where a large amount of WvW veteran players and guilds who wanted to set up their WvW alliance and build this up moved to Fort Ranik a while back and grew out of the small server with not so many players to a link with a lot of dedicated veterans. 

Whilst it was nice to have a lot of players that actually knew how to play and not needing anything really from their host, gave us some room to rest and log out without having to feel that if we don't log in there wont be any replacements as Gandara always have to struggle with and we have to do more time during all those months or years we are closed and not having a link. The link we got last time was too overpopulated but hey, many ohter servers getting this all the time at relink, so why can't Gandara have at least one period for the first time in years where we could relax and try to have fun?

So yes you are very right, and i am sure you meant to insult Gandara by saying so, but i am not really taking it hat way because it just shows again that the flaws we are trying to talk about in EU which are screwing our wvw over all the time and not only for Gandara but so many other servers as well, like this relink where most servers was paried with their oposit of way they play which always create a lot of drama and movements and people leave the server they where on. 

On top of that they also yet again manage to put two servers WSR and ROS together was probably the joke of the year for all WvW players to laugh at how little Arena Net know about EU. And how their tools  are not showing anything that is actually helpfull to use for good pairing and instead creating poor wvw matches. I

So my wish is to at least make our competative game mode more fair in EU and  circle through all host servers so that all servers have the same chance of getting good wvw periods except for that one time in each cycle. That would change a lot.

12 minutes ago, Leaa.2943 said:

I am so glad that you wrote this post to demonstrate what so many of you do not have a single clue about. You and those others keeps on writing this posts and show that you have no understanding of how hosts and links and relinks and population works. This post right here is EXACTLY what happen.

So yes my dear you are completely and totally RIGHT about what you felt was an insult. What is sad though is that neither you OR Arena Net was aware of EU servers and what guilds and other people are on what server and what they bring to the table. 

Let me paint this to you. First of all, ALL server without a link fall down to tier 5 and have been for years now. This is a known fact and is not a Gandara issue but a over all issue for hosts that Anet choose to place in that position. They sit in tier 5 sometiems move up to 4 and then back down again because none of us have enough population. Population and game time is NOT the same thing, even though Arena Nets tools feel it is.

For some reason not all host servers will go through this. For some reason only some hosts  even though many of the other hosts have more population then those is always getting picked. And within this some of those picked servers get picked more often. How about having a more fair way of doing it by actually circle through all hosts so that noone get treated badly and have a kitten WvW for so long. Why should a few servers have no link at all for months, half a year or year? Why not let all servers go thorugh it so that it at least feels fair.

Now back to you and other people who don't understand what is going on. So Gandara have had Fort Ranik as a link a few times in the past and it was always a good link because FR was not very populated but it was enough people on it for Gandara to get a bit of a breathing room and catch up on sleep after not having links for months and months and months sometimes years. 

BUT this time neither you or Arena Net where aware of that Fort Ranik is now a server where a large amount of WvW veteran players and guilds who wanted to set up their WvW alliance and build this up moved to Fort Ranik a while back and grew out of the small server with not so many players to a link with a lot of dedicated veterans. 

Whilst it was nice to have a lot of players that actually knew how to play and not needing anything really from their host, gave us some room to rest and log out without having to feel that if we don't log in there wont be any replacements as Gandara always have to struggle with and we have to do more time during all those months or years we are closed and not having a link. The link we got last time was too overpopulated but hey, many ohter servers getting this all the time at relink, so why can't Gandara have at least one period for the first time in years where we could relax and try to have fun?

So yes you are very right, and i am sure you meant to insult Gandara by saying so, but i am not really taking it hat way because it just shows again that the flaws we are trying to talk about in EU which are screwing our wvw over all the time and not only for Gandara but so many other servers as well, like this relink where most servers was paried with their oposit of way they play which always create a lot of drama and movements and people leave the server they where on. 

On top of that they also yet again manage to put two servers WSR and ROS together was probably the joke of the year for all WvW players to laugh at how little Arena Net know about EU. And how their tools  are not showing anything that is actually helpfull to use for good pairing and instead creating poor wvw matches. I

So my wish is to at least make our competative game mode more fair in EU and  circle through all host servers so that all servers have the same chance of getting good wvw periods except for that one time in each cycle. That would change a lot.

Sure.  It had nothing to do with the bulk of your server actually playing again after your tantrum boycott.  😉

16 hours ago, Leaa.2943 said:

I'm pretty sure what actually occurs is that servers without a link end up giving up due to that, even if they have perfectly fine numbers without a link and can do perfectly fine, they just don't because, like I said, people give up, even though they would do fine if they actually tried, and the server ends up killing itself, to put it simply.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caliboom.3218 said:

I'm pretty sure what actually occurs is that servers without a link end up giving up due to that, even if they have perfectly fine numbers without a link and can do perfectly fine, they just don't because, like I said, people give up, even though they would do fine if they actually tried, and the server ends up killing itself, to put it simply.

Oh if servers end up killing themselves as you say, then we definitely need Mag without a link. Like the trash taking itself out.

• Haha 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:05 PM, Xenesis.6389 said:

Are you saying the FULL server was hard carried by a MEDIUM server from T5 to T1?

Apparently. And with full justification, as long as Anet doesn't tell us what "Full" and "Medium" actually means. Some people claim "Medium" == empty, but judging by the queues we've seen all the time, that clearly is not the case. It might start there, but it feels like Medium can be as much as 70%  of a full server. We can only guess though. I can see how 170% population compared to 100% population can carry a server up to T1, yes.

In return, High might be 80, Very High might be 90% - so 2x80 = 160% vs 1 x 100% ... is a clear advantage. Of course I'm just pulling these numbers out of thin air, treat them as examples only.

Edited by nthmetal.9652

1 hour ago, Morden Kain.3489 said:

Yeah, it would survive in EBG, just not where it matters.  That is to say the other BLs.  Face it, Mag would still fall 2-4 tiers if they were on their own, as they would only own EBG 🤣.

Dont care, smc would still be ours

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, lotus.5672 said:

NA primetime mag would have no issues holding smc and even taking enemies keeps.

Outside of that time slot... Who cares, I dont play in it.

I do remember when Mag was without link struggling in T4.
Don't wanna link those funny/crying threads asking for a link cos recently got a warning and don't wanna link those Mod's closed threads.

11 hours ago, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

I do remember when Mag was without link struggling in T4.

It also depends on the server they are linked with.  Friends on SF talk about how when linked with Mag they plummet to the bottom of the barrel, and stay there the entire link.  Takes about 5 weeks to fall to the bottom tier, then another week or two before they are Red and sit there the rest of the link.

So much for Mag being the "WvW police" if they cannot handle being linked with SF. 😁

Actually this time the linking is not abysmally bad, but of course it is lopsided.

Kills & deaths correlate highly with the number of active players on each server. Thus this is the best metric we have as Arenanet doesn't publish actual active play hours per each server.

I have tallied together both kills + deaths from this site:
https://gw2mists.com/matches/eu

TOP3 (most active)
Whitesideridge + Ruins of Surmia 108810
Augury Rock + Fort Ranik 85921
Elona Reach + Vabbi 83624

BOTTOM3 (least active)
Riverside 32067
Gandara 47648
Desolation + Arborstone 57623

So the difference between the best and worst is roughly 3:1. Not surprisingly Riverside and Gandara got the short stick as they are without a link. I remember when Desolation was without a link (very high) and the top server combination had 5:1 kills + deaths compared to Desolation.

Interestingly Baruch Bay is marked Very High population, yet it has slightly better Kills + deaths (64713) than Desolation which is marked full and has a medium link. This implies Baruch Bay is actually more full than most full servers, despite being artificially marked as very high.

Seafarer's Rest (very high) is linked with Vizunah Square (medium) yet it has higher kills + deaths +  Desolation, implying that some mediums are much more full than others. What is the population difference between medium and high? Maybe in some cases it is minimal and some medium servers are truly empty?

It also seems that the population status counts are updated with a significant (maybe 1-2 weeks) delay. Maybe some very high servers have already more active population than some full servers.

Just my 2 cents worth.

PS. Arenanet should delete 5th tier from EU. With 4 tiers all servers could have a link.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...