Singleplayer game based on GW2

lockf.9748

Weirdly enough, I think if Anet messed with the hitboxes (adding weapon/projectile collision relative to animations rather than aoe circles on the ground), GW2 would become a soulslike game.

That aside, gw2 is already feels like a single player game. It feels like I play alongside other people, but never with them, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 6:57 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

No thank you.

Asking that an existing game, with an existing playerbase, lose its development so that you can have a solo game is...questionable at best. 

^^ this.  Heavily disagree with OP's suggestion. Confident: 100% Anet would not even consider such a notion, not even for a nanosecond. 

• Like 1

I'd probably buy it. Not sure that I would play it right now, since I find GW2 already good enough for a solo casual experience (and if you remove all the "random" players around, Tyria would probably look a bit empty and sad, after a bit), but I don't dislike the idea of a single player RPG made by ArenaNet, a kind of remake of GW1, with companions, and an updated graphic.

The franchise became quite established and in the last years the game got some popularity, I guess, so maybe it wouldn't be wasted time/resource. There are a lot of people that play RPGs but dislike MMOs.

I'm not sure that I want an exact copy of GW2 though (also the trading post makes no sense if you play alone).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

While I like the idea of a single player game based off of the lore from Guild Wars, the company itself is focused on making an MMO, not single player games.  Don't get me wrong, it would be cool to play a single player game as Rytlock or any of the heroes of Tyria but again, that is not Anet's focus

Edited by Balgorath.2604
  • Like 1

I actually would like a single-player Guild Wars game, but not if it's just a version of GW2.

The idea I had a while ago is a game set during the last time the Elder Dragons awakened, where you play as one of the 5 races opposing them - the dwarves, mursaat, seers, jotun and forgotten. Instead of the story converging to the same ending like the GW2 story does it would branch further as it progresses and the races all push for their own plan to stop or survive the Dragons.

I'd love to know more about that time, and I think this would be a good way to cover multiple perspectives without lots of separate releases or promoting one particular race/approach. It would need to be a single-player game because of the branching storyline.

I'm not sure how popular a game with no humans where the best you could hope for is a kind of Pyrrhic victory would be, but I think it would be interesting.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I actually would like a single-player Guild Wars game, but not if it's just a version of GW2.

The idea I had a while ago is a game set during the last time the Elder Dragons awakened, where you play as one of the 5 races opposing them - the dwarves, mursaat, seers, jotun and forgotten. Instead of the story converging to the same ending like the GW2 story does it would branch further as it progresses and the races all push for their own plan to stop or survive the Dragons.

I'd love to know more about that time, and I think this would be a good way to cover multiple perspectives without lots of separate releases or promoting one particular race/approach. It would need to be a single-player game because of the branching storyline.

I'm not sure how popular a game with no humans where the best you could hope for is a kind of Pyrrhic victory would be, but I think it would be interesting.

Something like DragonAge Origin, with the same main story but seen through the point of view of different races? I'd like it. Considering how ArenaNet has been able to put some differentiation in the personal story (not much, but for the MMO genre is enough), I bet they would be able to deliver a good classic RPG.

I hope the studio will grow more and more in the following years, so they will find enough resources to deliver some different game, together with GW2, as far as it's not a mobile game.

27 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

The real question, perhaps, is interesting or not would it be profitable.

That would certainly be a consideration and may well be the ultimate decider between whether it gets made or not (in a hypothetical world where someone in the position to make that decision is considering it, instead of me), but I don't think it works as a starting point because there's too many variables.

For an extreme example Rytlock's Critter Ramage is a fully functional stand-alone game developed and published by Anet which probably hasn't made them any money (especially since it's completely free). But it took 1 person 3 weeks to make, and a lot of that might have been in his own time since he decided to do it. All (the rest of) Anet had to do was make the initial sprits (which they were doing anyway for the SAB 'advert') and host the game online. The cost will have been minimal, so it doesn't matter if it didn't bring in much money.

Considering what I want from this game is the story I think there's a lot of flexibility in terms of art style, voice acting, non-story activities (and by extension game genre) etc. which make the potential costs very variable, although that might also turn off potential players by making it look too different to GW2. If it was a serious idea I think there would have to be some element of scoping and market research first, but I'm not in any position to even speculate on what the outcome of that would be.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:55 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

It's also rather interesting how you want a singleplayer game with TP and gemstore. Obvious bait is obvious, just so you know.

Nah. Fortunately for OP that is what game publishers want as well. At least the gemstore part. Every game needs to be a "live services" game for the real life infinite money hack.

1 minute ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Nah. Fortunately for OP that is what game publishers want as well. At least the gemstore part. Every game needs to be a "live services" game for the real life infinite money hack.

Sure, but we weren't talking about company wants, but instead OP's wants. Who actually wants to buy a single player game with ingame shop included as if that's a good thing for them?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sure, but we weren't talking about company wants, but instead OP's wants. Who actually wants to buy a single player game with ingame shop included as if that's a good thing for them?

EA and Ubisoft fans would like to have a word with you lol.  Also, Shadow of Mordor I believe also had a cash shop in it

Edited by Balgorath.2604

3 minutes ago, Balgorath.2604 said:

EA and Ubisoft fans would like to have a word with you lol

Not sure even those players want their single player games with ingame shop, it's more of a weird customer loyalty where they like the game to the point they'll still get it despite the "always online" or "additional microtransactions". Pretty sure I've never heard anyone say ~"nice singleplayer game you have there, but next time pls add more microtransactions to it".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

Not sure even those players want their single player games with ingame shop, it's more of a weird customer loyalty where they like the game to the point they'll still get it despite the "always online" or "additional microtransactions".

You underestimate the power of cosmetics and shiny stuff lol

12 minutes ago, Balgorath.2604 said:

You underestimate the power of cosmetics and shiny stuff lol

Oh come on. Where did you see all those players asking for microtransactions in their singleplayer games? When, who, which games?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Oh come on. Where did you see all those players asking for microtransactions in their singleplayer games? When, who, which games?

No one was "ever asked", it was forced but end of the day, it turns into an addiction, like loot boxes and gambling so the players who are purchasing those games will continue to do so now because to them, loot boxes, cosmetics and shiny stuff is now considered "content" but it's just scummy developers/publishers using addiction as the new mechanic

• Like 1

Just now, Balgorath.2604 said:

No one was "ever asked", it was forced but end of the day, it turns into an addiction, like loot boxes and gambling so the players who are purchasing those games will continue to do so now because to them, loot boxes, cosmetics and shiny stuff is now considered "content" but it's just scummy developers/publishers using addiction as the new mechanic

Ok, so like I said:

-Sure, but we weren't talking about company wants, but instead OP's wants. Who actually wants to buy a single player game with ingame shop included as if that's a good thing for them?

-Not sure even those players want their single player games with ingame shop, it's more of a weird customer loyalty where they like the game to the point they'll still get it despite the "always online" or "additional microtransactions". Pretty sure I've never heard anyone say ~"nice singleplayer game you have there, but next time pls add more microtransactions to it".

• Confused 1

On 10/4/2022 at 2:34 AM, lockf.9748 said:

It would essentially be the GW2 but singleplayer, since GW2 sets an extremely high bar for mmorpg and other of similar genre that it's pointless searching alternatives to play, because I can't find one that has this kind of features and believe me I tried.

Kingdom of Amalur and the dragon Age series should scratch that itch if not individually then in combination? They Obviously don't have everything you ask for, but the combination of your Wishlist seems a little niche. GW 2 as an MMORPG had 10 years to accumulate content, you can't compete with that in a Single player model. Cashshops are less effective in a Singleplayer game too. Revisiting 10 years of code and porting it seems to be an Impossibility.  I do get where your are coming from.

Some +Sides of your idea seems weird to me. Like an Express merchant pass, is a  Band Aid on an overloaded Inventory System, not something to strive for. Also crafting isn't all that great in GW 2. Its not bad, but it is like a step above the minimum. Discovery is neat, but otherwise I struggle to see how it is exceptional.

Edited by Albi.7250

23 hours ago, Albadaran.1283 said:

I hope IF Arenanet ever quits supporting GW2 that they then make it available as singleplayer game. Including all yet inaccessible areas :). But as for now: no. Keep it this way.

Incidentally, this was asked of GW1 as well. I wouldn't hold my breath.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:28 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

I'd totally play that game. 👍🏻

My take on a single player game taking place in Tyria would be a story driven RPG (like Dragon Age Origins) or (Point'n'Click) adventure (like Life is Strange), where you play the role of the characters of Delaquas Investigations and solve all loose ends of GW2's story: Try to wake Zojja from her coma, investigate the remnants of the Mursaat culture on the Isles of Janthir, solve the mystery who build the Eye of the North and it's purpose, revisit the Maguuma Jungle to find Malyk and his Mothertree to find a cure for the Pale Tree, solve the mystery of the Wizards Tower in Garrenhoff, help Rytlok to break the curse of Ascalon and to free (the land from) the ghosts, enter the Dominion of the Winds to help the Tengu investigating a mysterious murder... this list is endless. 😊

That's what I'd wish for as a single player game.

edit: oh, I totally forgot to mention that I'd buy a Rayman-like SAB themed Jump'n' Run and (of course) a Beetle Racing specialized game as well. 🤩

Edited by Andur.9275