Jumping puzzles should reward cosmetic appearances

5 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Right now the efforts for completing them are pretty minimal,

Which is irrelevant. WoW has plenty of "kill boars" quests that reward unique appearances, which gives incentive to fashion oriented players to complete them.

And again, I'm not talking about mount skins of fiery crowns with RGB lights on them. Just some average looking robe or breastplate. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

35 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Which is irrelevant. WoW has plenty of "kill boars" quests that reward unique appearances, which gives incentive to fashion oriented players to complete them.

And again, I'm not talking about mount skins of fiery crowns with RGB lights on them. Just some average looking robe or breastplate. 

And once you get it you're back to the same issue. It's repeatable content. People will do it once for the unique appearances, I'll do it over and over again because I like jumping puzzles. Because of portals, in fact, most people won't even do them. They'll just grab a portal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I don't know, I'd say what he said is more relevant than the "but wow gives skin for farming boars!" type of response. I agree with the post you've quoted, the effort there is minimal, if there would be more rewards bound to jps, they'd need to lock the skipping mechanics like portals or bond of faith, which would include a larger area than current "mount usage restriction". Not only that, but also prevent logging out at the end chest for a 3-second-one-keypress-reward grab with alts. Overally I don't think it's worth doing.

8 minutes ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Disable portals, add jade runestones as a reward. 

That doesn't prevent the problems mentioned above. Kaineng JP showcases pretty well what it "achieves" -perma commander tags for "easy tp to a friend" while counting on silver/gold tips for afking, as well as people leaving alts at the chest.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

I like that jumping puzzles don't give anything unique and are unlikely to give anything valuable (although it can happen) because it means they're optional - with very few exceptions a player can never complete any jumping puzzles and won't miss out on anything more than a few achievements.

I like that because I enjoy doing jumping puzzles and I think if they gave better rewards there would then be pressure to make sure everyone can complete them and I think there's a risk that could make them less enjoyable for those players who like them as they are now.

Maybe a compromise could be to give them unique rewards but then make them tradable, so players who don't want to do the puzzle can simply buy the items they like. That would also solve the problem of it being a one-time incentive, because if players can sell their excess drops it doesn't matter if they've already got that skin.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That doesn't prevent the problems mentioned above. Kaineng JP showcases pretty well what it "achieves" -perma commander tags for "easy tp to a friend" while counting on silver/gold tips for afking, as well as people leaving alts at the chest.

The problem is there no reason to do jp after the first time you do them. Jade runestone would be a good reason to do them. Tp to friends could be disabled as well but in the end using a gemstore item to get a 40s item seems kinda wasteful. 

Alt parking is already happening, people have already park them at their runestone chest, adding more chests are not going  make people move their alts. This would encourage people to do multiple jps moving characters around. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Just do a heart then, and buy your common gear with karma. I spent a bit of time last night collecting the Heavy Plate armor pieces in Bloodtide Coast for an alt account's warrior. Sounds exactly like what you are proposing. Low effort, low reward, but usable stuff. Had the boots already, so had to complete 5 hearts to assemble the entire outfit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Disable portals, add jade runestones as a reward. 

I've always advocated for adding a mote to the beginning of every jp that forces the player to do it legit for a bonus reward. It will make it so that the devs don't have to keep adding in no gliding/mount zones that just breaks everything else on the map.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There is no need to over-complicated thing to prevent people from cheesing them .

Simply creating 10x invisible captured points (0,3 sec activation time ) in your path  , in locations  that only  that the devs know , you become able to do the side quest for the reward (different from the actual Chest) .

If it like a set like Decade set that you improve with other stuff (Drytop-Orr -Dungeons-other forgoten Core areas) to become Legendary (even with exotic stats) , would work better  rather than monastery increase and effect the economy .

If people want money they can do open world events , like Soo-won , Silverwaste or play raids once per week for 3 hours

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Confused 5

As @Danikat.8537 said, this would put too much pressure on people that hate JP but are into fashion. I think that 10 AP are a good reward for the first time you complete them. Moreover, (sadly) you have to complete some of them several times for different achievements, even when you think "never again". And here I am, again 😕

10 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

I've always advocated for adding a mote to the beginning of every jp that forces the player to do it legit for a bonus reward. It will make it so that the devs don't have to keep adding in no gliding/mount zones that just breaks everything else on the map.

I agree with the mote, just make sure that gliding/mounts are properly disabled when you've touched the mote.  It is too easy to accidentally hit a wrong key and start gliding or mounting.  Perhaps something like the Sanctum Scramble adventure. The regular skills are disabled and replaced by something else. This can be to make the puzzle more challenging. It adds a record mode. It also allows to create it differently for each puzzle. For example, what I would do with Fawcett's Bounty is that Whenever you get knocked down, spiked, burned or hit the water, the adventure would fail and you get the option to teleport back to the beginning to start over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually agree.

I think one thing Gw2 needs a bit more of is more unique rewards for specific content.

Gw1 had a lot of unique weapon and item drops scattered about as rare loot for killing specific creatures around the world and that's something I really miss in Gw2.

There are certainly some instances of events or world bosses dropping unique loot but it's few and far between if you ask me.

Imo every world boss should have a rare unique drop of some kind.. a weapon skin, a toy, a tonic, a unique mount skin, a unique outfit or glider skin.. hell even just a unique minipet of that boss would do.
Just something like that you know.. give people more reason to want to repeat the content.

And Jumping puzzles should have something similar.. and it doesn't have to be every puzzle has a unique reward but rather it could be map based.. like every JP in Caledon has a chance to give a rare special reward item you can only get from JP chests in that specific map.
I could be something as simple as an alternate coloured Verdant Weapon skin.. like an autumn variant that has more orange and yellow plant parts instead.

Small thing, yet it makes wanting to do that content more desirable.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Right now the rewards for completing them are pretty miserable, which is a shame because they're a fun activity for the most part.

Fun is highly subjective.  Based on previous threads on jumping puzzles, there are many who do not find them entertaining at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Fun is highly subjective.  Based on previous threads on jumping puzzles, there are many who do not find them entertaining at all.

That is true.
Though I have to admit many of the posts I see complaining about JP's tend to be from people who have some form of disability or limitation being the reason they don't enjoy them or in some cases are unable to do them at all.

It's unfortunate but that is sadly a factor.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I actually agree.

I think one thing Gw2 needs a bit more of is more unique rewards for specific content.

Gw1 had a lot of unique weapon and item drops scattered about as rare loot for killing specific creatures around the world and that's something I really miss in Gw2.

There are certainly some instances of events or world bosses dropping unique loot but it's few and far between if you ask me.

Imo every world boss should have a rare unique drop of some kind.. a weapon skin, a toy, a tonic, a unique mount skin, a unique outfit or glider skin.. hell even just a unique minipet of that boss would do.
Just something like that you know.. give people more reason to want to repeat the content.

And Jumping puzzles should have something similar.. and it doesn't have to be every puzzle has a unique reward but rather it could be map based.. like every JP in Caledon has a chance to give a rare special reward item you can only get from JP chests in that specific map.
I could be something as simple as an alternate coloured Verdant Weapon skin.. like an autumn variant that has more orange and yellow plant parts instead.

Small thing, yet it makes wanting to do that content more desirable.

Most of the world bosses already do have unique drops. For example the Shadow Behemoth chest can drop Final Rest and the Great Jungle Wurm chest can drop Wisteria. Some bosses, including Tequatl and the Triple Wurm have several unique drops each.

Also I don't know how frequently you do world bosses but giving players an incentive to repeat them is not a problem, whenever I've done one there's always a crowd waiting for it to spawn, often including people who are making their way around multiple bosses. It might be quieter when it's night time in that region, but even during the day on week days I've seen a lot of people doing them.

Considering how often I've seen comments and threads like this - based on the assumption that barely anyone does things like jumping puzzles or world bosses more than once, and suggestions to add rewards which already exist, I wonder how much of it is a problem with the activities themselves and how much is a perception problem. But I'm not sure what the solution there is. An in-game equivalent of the Wiki to allow players to find out in advance what drops they can get from an activity or where to find a specific item might help some people, but I suspect there's relatively few players who would use a resource like that if it was in an in-game menu but won't use the Wiki.

• Like 1

I would be for this if they leave jumping puzzles as they are now, but add a challenge mote in the beginning that gives a buff. The buff would disappear if they used mounts or portals. And make the reward tradable for players who does not like to jump these. and players who enjoy them can repeat them daily and feel rewarded. Also the reward should be small and not worth much with only a chance of dropping like other stuff ingame. 

that way it would be a win win situation for players who enjoys jp and players who wants mesmer portals since they don’t like doing these. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

I would be for this if they leave jumping puzzles as they are now, but add a challenge mote in the beginning that gives a buff. The buff would disappear if they used mounts or portals. And make the reward tradable for players who does not like to jump these. and players who enjoy them can repeat them daily and feel rewarded. Also the reward should be small and not worth much with only a chance of dropping like other stuff ingame. 

that way it would be a win win situation for players who enjoys jp and players who wants mesmer portals since they don’t like doing these. 

Seems like a lot of dev work to create a CM for JPs with such small rewards.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Seems like a lot of dev work to create a CM for JPs with such small rewards.

That may be so. I do not know much about coding. Adding a buff and a reward to existing content doesn't seem like a lot of development work though. Not saying it's worth it, cause I would not play these motes myself. But I would not mind adding them if enough players want what the op is suggesting. Just saying my thoughts on the matter. Not that they should add this. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Most of the world bosses already do have unique drops. For example the Shadow Behemoth chest can drop Final Rest and the Great Jungle Wurm chest can drop Wisteria. Some bosses, including Tequatl and the Triple Wurm have several unique drops each.

Final Rest is unique but Wisteria is obtainable in Cursed Shore as well as the Jungle Wurm.
Still it's an uncommon weapon that's true but overall it's still a minority of world bosses that drop unique weapons.

The vast majority of them do not, and personally I think they should.

Also I don't know how frequently you do world bosses but giving players an incentive to repeat them is not a problem, whenever I've done one there's always a crowd waiting for it to spawn, often including people who are making their way around multiple bosses. It might be quieter when it's night time in that region, but even during the day on week days I've seen a lot of people doing them.

Not that often anymore, but that's more to do with being busy elsewhere..
Have a lot of games on the go atm so im not that active in Gw2 for the time being, will likely be more active around halloween though, favourite holiday and all.

The point really isn't to make more people do the bosses though.
It's to make the bosses stand out more in the game by giving them something unique you can't get anywhere else.

Considering how often I've seen comments and threads like this - based on the assumption that barely anyone does things like jumping puzzles or world bosses more than once, and suggestions to add rewards which already exist, I wonder how much of it is a problem with the activities themselves and how much is a perception problem. But I'm not sure what the solution there is. An in-game equivalent of the Wiki to allow players to find out in advance what drops they can get from an activity or where to find a specific item might help some people, but I suspect there's relatively few players who would use a resource like that if it was in an in-game menu but won't use the Wiki.

I don't think it's a problem btw.. plenty of people do run the content regardless.
I just think it could be improved upon and likewise the world can be enriched if there were more unique rewards to earn from very specific content.

The main reason i'm a fan of this much as I said in my OP is because Gw1 did this sort of thing all the time in later content and it was something that greatly increased my enjoyment of that game.
With Gw2 being such a different animal than Gw1 it can't really be replicated in the same way without a ton of work being done on the game, filling it with new special enemies etc..
But if specific content like world bosses and JP's were singled out and more unique rewards added to them that would give a similar experience to the one I enjoyed in Gw1.

I run JPs frequently, not as often as in the past, but still frequently. Sadly a lot of people listened to my farming suggestions and decided to park level 30 characters at the chests to farm Silver Doubloons. This is how I made low extra money doing JPs for years. But the price dropped to 1/4 now. Still OK, but as the drop-rate has not changed, it takes 4x the time/chests to make an extra gold.

Adding unique loot behind JPs does not really help. People farm it and then forget JPs exist - which is nothing bad. Punishing those who use Mesmers and Teleport to Friend also seems a little harsh. Originally JPs are optional content. You do not like to do it, you do not do it. But by gating all kinds of unique loot and collections behind JPs, these places receive a lot of disdain.

I would rather not have unique loot. But something similar to my Silver Doubloons would be nice. Preferably not so difficult to set up. We have the treasure-maps sill in the game, which reward different pieces depending on the region you complete a JP. That could be expanded. You get different colored orbs, which you can combine in the MF for different items. Stuff like those downgraded Metabolic Primers for example. Loot that can make your gameplay easier without being mandatory to have. If you do not like the content and do not run it, you do not lose something valuable.

And in addition, multiple options to gain these orbs. Jumping Puzzles as ONE option. DRMs as an alternative, e. g. to buy the orbs with a vendor for Tyrian Defense Seals. And if this is also too annoying, a third acquisition option via Jade Silvers (= grinding). That way JPs would be optional. An alternative for those who do not enjoy the other two options. 

• Like 1