Anet you seriously must nerf Sunqua Peak boss

Gotta say , as someone who Runs Routine CM's on this Fractal : It's fine 

It requires a Bit of a Learning Curve, You have to know your class, Your Group Composition, and what you're bringing / will need to bring before Blindly rushing in. 

It's not a Fractal You can Gorilla Smash to peices like the rest. Nor am I saying that's what you're doing. 

I understand that you're frustrated, I get that, I've been there too. 

But you can learn it, And you can overcome it. It's not obscenely Difficult, There's just peices of the puzzle that haven't Clicked for you yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, Witch of Steam.5138 said:

Gotta say , as someone who Runs Routine CM's on this Fractal : It's fine 

It requires a Bit of a Learning Curve, You have to know your class, Your Group Composition, and what you're bringing / will need to bring before Blindly rushing in. 

It's not a Fractal You can Gorilla Smash to peices like the rest. Nor am I saying that's what you're doing. 

I understand that you're frustrated, I get that, I've been there too. 

But you can learn it, And you can overcome it. It's not obscenely Difficult, There's just peices of the puzzle that haven't Clicked for you yet. 

As someone who does fractal CMs routinely as well - it has a bit too much HP for my liking, but mechanics are easy to understand, if somewhat buggy sometimes with overlap.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

As someone who does fractal CMs routinely as well - it has a bit too much HP for my liking, but mechanics are easy to understand, if somewhat buggy sometimes with overlap.

The light phase takes like 3 min total with phasetimes under 40s and a comet phase where you just run around in a circle waiting until the boss comes back taking 25s and a teather phase where you chill in mid, also waiting until the boss comes back, taking 50s. If you lower the hp you wait more until the boss comes back then you spent time fighting the boss. The dark phase is even faster taking like 2 min or less on a good pull. I dont think that 5 min + downtime is too much for the entire fractal to clear.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sniper.5961 said:

The light phase takes like 3 min total with phasetimes under 40s and a comet phase where you just run around in a circle waiting until the boss comes back taking 25s and a teather phase where you chill in mid, also waiting until the boss comes back, taking 50s.

Yeah, i pick this as a point that annoys me. You put it better than me - way too much down time running around.

2 hours ago, Brandon Uzumaki.1524 said:

Only double Sunqua needs a nerf xD

If by that, you meant Daily and Recs happening on the same day, there's an easy fix. They just need to flip the rotations of 2 of Recommended Fractals since they are both on a 15-day rotations and you'll never see double Sunqua ever again.

To show what I meant: Adjusted Rotation. Day 4 currently has Sunqua on same day. Just need to flip Days 3 & 4 on the Recommended side.

• Like 1

If we're talking about t3 or t4 sunqua I think it's fine, maybe the bosses in general have too much HP but since the instab rework it's gotten less messy to complete.

T2 and T1 Sunqua on the otherhand are usually still a struggle for new players, each group I've had with it has had different issues but the high HP is a lot more noticeable in novice groups. A lot of flaws with how the game teaches you to work with other players are highlighted in low tier Sunqua groups, players not bringing enough cc, or not staying close enough to receive boons/heals. Players will sometimes panic mode and not res people. It's a fight that probably assumes the group will have a quick and/or alac boon supporter dumping might and fury onto players. 

On 10/15/2022 at 10:26 PM, Mitakuye Oyasin.6159 said:

When I play fractals with beginner most of the time we do all fractals smooth and easy, but with this boss the group dies like 5 times before we finish the boss, is not even normal, are they all bad players? No, it's just a poorly designed boss, who also gets bugged frequently especially in the storm phase, and most of the players I know newbies and experts are avoiding this fractal because it's gruelling long and hard and it's not worth the reward, just saying.

Hmm. When we do CMs it's actually the easiest boss. Good CC and portals make it very smooth. The most complicated that newer people run into is Artsariiv and Arkk (99cm)

Edited by Carnifex.3275

On 10/16/2022 at 12:34 PM, costepj.5120 said:

The reason it is long is because there is a different encounter to teach you every one of the required mechanics. Which I guess is a bit tedious if you know the mechanics already. But if you progress through each encounter and apply what you learn, then there is no reason to wipe on the end boss.

nobody does the tether learning on the skimmer pre

also the tether is still kittening jank, doesnt connect immediately when you pass the tether or the person, and it gets worse when players move

people who know that they spawn in cw/ccw and can queue up properly, have portal, can skip water phase tethers etc have forgotten how dumb this mechanic is for inexp ppl

I pug fractals (t4+recs) daily and the only time I see 100 skipped is when people did the CM and now want to do the rest of the t4's.

As for the difficulty, the only problem I see regularly in Sunqua is people getting 10 stacks of burden and then proceed to down the entire team.

For cc I always look to see if the team seems to cc on the edge (which is a bit faster since you get longer dps phase and a bit harder since you have to know about the blast in the center) or wait for center. It's easy to adapt to the playstyle of the group.

I actually think the Spellcaster is a relatively well-designed fractal boss, minus the bugs of course, but that goes without saying. The reason why it gets skipped in T4 is almost always because there will be a CM group who already did 100 CM. Otherwise in recs it will be skipped because it's too long. Nowadays I skip recs entirely.

I think 100 can be kept as is for T1 for the purpose of teaching the mechanics as you progress. Then at higher tiers, it would be better to have 3 different paths, each one having one of the elemental bosses (chosen at random) followed by the final boss. For example, you may go into 100 and go directly into the lava path where you fight the Fury of the Mountain and from there go straight to the Spellcaster. This is similar to how some other fractals have alternative paths, like Underground Facility and Aquatic Ruins.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, Mitakuye Oyasin.6159 said:

When I play fractals with beginner most of the time we do all fractals smooth and easy, but with this boss the group dies like 5 times before we finish the boss, is not even normal, are they all bad players? No, it's just a poorly designed boss, who also gets bugged frequently especially in the storm phase, and most of the players I know newbies and experts are avoiding this fractal because it's gruelling long and hard and it's not worth the reward, just saying.

If you have low damage and end up in that tsunami phase I sort of agree. I don't know whether it's people who keep ranging her even though you can't, or if it's something else. But kitten it sure does hurt.
Thing is, most experienced players don't even experience that phase because they deal good damage.

Sunqua is too long. Even if you 1 shot the boss it normally takes way longer than fractals like Urban, Uncat, Jade Maw. If the reward is the same, but this takes longer, then this fractal rewards less per time spent. I know a lot of people who will not run T4s when Sunqua is on the daily or will run 2 fractals and skip Sunqua. 

Make the intro optional even on normal mode and let us go straight to the boss.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xDudisx.5914 said:

Sunqua is too long. Even if you 1 shot the boss it normally takes way longer than fractals like Urban, Uncat, Jade Maw. If the reward is the same, but this takes longer, then this fractal rewards less per time spent. I know a lot of people who will not run T4s when Sunqua is on the daily or will run 2 fractals and skip Sunqua. 

Make the intro optional even on normal mode and let us go straight to the boss.

Urban, uncat and Jade maw are roflstomp fractals - wouldn't use them as examples.

9 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Urban, uncat and Jade maw are roflstomp fractals - wouldn't use them as examples.

Mai Trim and Aetherblade are also pretty quick. Other than deepstone and shattered, most fractals are quite short. 

Sunqua is the outlier, not urban, uncat, etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xDudisx.5914 said:

Mai Trim and Aetherblade are also pretty quick. Other than deepstone and shattered, most fractals are quite short. 

Many older Fractals were even shorter than now, but were extended due to player farming.  Molten Boss is the worst case, which was extended many times in length compared to the original.

I imagine Mai Trin (42 farm) will get the same treatment before too long.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 1

To think, I've NEVER thought there could be anything worse than Siren's kitten(a giant fart), and yet here is Sunqua's Peak...

OP, I appreciate the sentiment for nerfs, but that is not going to solve the problem. What I've witnessed is that there is a reason this fractal is frequently skipped (I do it myself on LFGs): It's not fun to play! No nerf can fix that.

See, folks...this is what happens when gw2 caters to the raiding mindset, trying to turn fractals into raids or raid-like experiences. All these boss fights with separate and contrived phases and mechanics in an effort to stretch out encounters. It's like, people forgot the BASIC POINT of fractals: quick, dungeon-like encounters. But then, like Strike Missions, they slowly turned into freakin' pseudo raid-training camps. And we all know what happened to Strike Missions!

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

52 minutes ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

To think, I've NEVER thought there could be anything worse than Siren's kitten(a giant fart), and yet here is Sunqua's Peak...

OP, I appreciate the sentiment for nerfs, but that is not going to solve the problem. What I've witnessed is that there is a reason this fractal is frequently skipped (I do it myself on LFGs): It's not fun to play! No nerf can fix that.

See, folks...this is what happens when gw2 caters to the raiding mindset, trying to turn fractals into raids or raid-like experiences. All these boss fights with separate and contrived phases and mechanics in an effort to stretch out encounters. It's like, people forgot the BASIC POINT of fractals: quick, dungeon-like encounters. But then, like Strike Missions, they slowly turned into freakin' pseudo raid-training camps. And we all know what happened to Strike Missions!

I second this. It's just too long.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 7:03 PM, xDudisx.5914 said:

Mai Trin is one of the longer ones, considering whole fractals is one trash fight and boss encounter

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, JTGuevara.9018 said:

I'm of two minds on this.  On the one hand, I like the final boss in Sunqua.  But it takes too long to get there in normal mode.  The first 3 bosses are a joke designed to expose players to the mechanics of the final fight, but aside from the water boss (which players just DPS through while ignoring the mechanics) the mechanics are intuitive and require no explanation.  By the time you get through these boring pre events and bosses you've already spent as much time on this fractal as you do completing most other fractals and you still have one of the longest boss encounters left to go.

On strikes, my outlook is a bit different.  I actually really like the varied phases on HT.  I think it's the most enjoyable encounter of all of the available strike missions, despite being fairly lengthy and a bit much for a lot of pickup groups to handle.  But the other EoD strikes are just boring.  The phases alternate through the same mechanics and drag the fights out to fill the time instead of presenting players with unique phases the way HT does.  I'd rather they design shorter encounters than have us repeat phases just to drag the fight out, but I think it's okay to have some strikes like HT where every phase is different even if it's long.

4 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Mai Trin is one of the longer ones, considering whole fractals is one trash fight and boss encounter

Not if you know what you are doing, I would not call a 150 seconds to 210 second  a slow fractal

Edited by Linken.6345

On 10/23/2022 at 8:33 PM, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Well said. I hadn't thought of it in this way before, but it makes sense. IME, raids are something you expect to be like a campaign, so elaborate boss fights fit that because you expect to bang your head against it as a group, steadily nailing down each phase. But fractals aren't (normally) designed like a campaign, so it's a mismatch to make it especially complex and/or long.

• Confused 2