A less than serious question but how does hygiene work in Tyria?

cyberzombie.7348

6 minutes ago, cyberzombie.7348 said:

Random thought but one that's been floating in my mind through the years. Is there anything in-game explaining this, or is everyone and their clothes just immune to putrefaction? Because I've yet to see anything resembling soap, bathrooms, toilets, or even clothe washing.

I'd say that this just falls under one of those times when the game isn't going to bother showing or spending much time describing something. Once or twice you'll hear the phrase "water closet" or something similar to show that, yes, people in this world canonically still have to expel waste, but that's about it.  Aside from a couple stories instances we're not shown sleeping regularly either.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, cyberzombie.7348 said:

Random thought but one that's been floating in my mind through the years. Is there anything in-game explaining this, or is everyone and their clothes just immune to putrefaction? Because I've yet to see anything resembling soap, bathrooms, toilets, or even clothe washing.

A lot of that will be "limitations of a game".

We know from dialogues that bathrooms in various forms exist - though the most infamous such dialogue hasn't been in-game for 8.5 years now. Thyrian bathrooms range from outhouses to water closets to chamber pots.

We know that sinks exist since, even though it's a gag, there is a guild decoration sink.

Diseases and the like are frequently mentioned.

And you'd find sinks in the all-too-modern Canthan kitchens (that also include modern refrigerators, modern ovens, and modern microwaves).

Divinity's Reach has a bunch of sewers as does Lion's Arch (mentioned same page as above, though this time it is still accessible during a personal story step). Ebonhawke also has sewers, though I don't recall if this is mentioned in-game - they're featured in the novel Ghosts of Ascalon.

And there are exactly four mentions of "soap" in the game. Once in DR, once in Vabbi, and twice in Cantha.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 2:45 AM, zeyeti.8347 said:

I dont know how it works in Tyria , but since i had to wipe toilets for the noble in Vabbi Vehjin palace to fill the heart , i prefer not wondering .

you want to go charging off to far flung places and see exciting new cultures? There’s a price you have to pay 😂

• Haha 3

Several places in Divinity's Reach have clothes hung up between the houses to dry, which implies they were previously washed. I think Lion's Arch has the same around some of the narrow side streets. A lot of people in smaller settlements will probably wash themselves and their clothes in the nearest river.

It wouldn't surprise me if at least some of the asura had come up with something more creative, but I can't remember it being mentioned.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 12:18 AM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

We know from dialogues that bathrooms in various forms exist - though the most infamous such dialogue hasn't been in-game for 8.5 years now

Given the context, I think you've meant to link to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Canal_Ward#Before_Escape_from_Lion's_Arch
(Maybe Konig's link just doesn't work correctly for me due to caching & it is actually the correct one)

Adventurer: Hey, which way to the outhouse?
Citizen: We don't have outhouses. We have water closets.
Adventurer: Like latrines?
Citizen: Nope. They all flow into the same sewer system, and that all goes out to sea.
Adventurer: That's more than I really needed to know.
Citizen: Hey, you asked. Just don't ask me if anything lives down there.
Adventurer: You've got a deal.

Divinity's Reach also has a sewer system as there's references to drakes living there, plus folks within the city wouldn't have access to the rivers outside like the farmers from Queensdale would.

Even ancient cities such as Ebonhawke and Vabbi show evidence of sewer systems.

Remember that most of Tyria is anywhere from industrial to digital age depending on where you look. There's only a few pre-industrial civilisations, mostly in Queensdale which is probably the lowest-tech part of the entire world aside from Kourna, and in both cases it seems to be more an issue of social status/poverty, and both have been run down by the Centaurs and Awakened, respectively.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

There's actually a communal shower in the Black Citadel that anyone can wander in and see. It's in Heroes' Canton, in the center of the barracks off the canteen.

It's honestly a really interesting room that suggests a lot about the residents' day-to-day life. There's pretty much no privacy, and the room's ringed by pull-out beds that are heated by little coal pits, with storage space over each bed.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Ogelsan.1690 said:

There's actually a communal shower in the Black Citadel that anyone can wander in and see. It's in Heroes' Canton, in the center of the barracks off the canteen.

It's honestly a really interesting room that suggests a lot about the residents' day-to-day life. There's pretty much no privacy, and the room's ringed by pull-out beds that are heated by little coal pits, with storage space over each bed.

There's several more rooms upstairs also lined with these coal-heated beds, with seating areas for recreation. Also I find it a bit strange the only Charr standing under the water is wearing full armor..

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

1 hour ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

There's several more rooms upstairs also lined with these coal-heated beds, with seating areas for recreation. Also I find it a bit strange the only Charr standing under the water is wearing full armor..

Yeah, it's pretty funny. She's just standing there, staring at nothing. Does she need help? Someone to talk to...?

• Like 2

On 10/16/2022 at 12:29 AM, cyberzombie.7348 said:

That's a completely bizarre question... Use your imagination, please. 

Edited by Animism.7530
  • Confused 4

I know for sure that there are showers in The Grove, inside home instance, you can even see some sylvari using them. Also if I remember correctly you can find one in Caithe house, so I imagine human houses would be similar since sylvari are based on Ronan + his family (human), and Ventari in terms of physology and lifestyle.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 1:29 AM, cyberzombie.7348 said:

Because I've yet to see anything resembling soap, bathrooms, toilets, or even clothe washing.

We do have toilet paper as an item in the game. Everything else is dragon magic and imagination. 😉

This reminds me of discussions from a looong time ago when TOS fans were discussing whether there were toilets aboard the starship Enterprise because we never saw them. Unprosaic answer at the time: They exist, but they are not shown because they were not seen as important for the story telling and every prop costs money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hygiene is what your characters do while you're offline. Unless it becomes part of a story, there's no need to show it in game. Right now our offline characters are at an inn or wherever they live (my main lives in the Salma District). They're washing their clothes, taking baths, sleeping, researching their next big thing (especially the Asura), plotting with the Pact, attempting to out-drink Knut Whitebear (and losing -- again) or whatever their "not adventuring" life looks like. Then when we log in, they meet back up with us where we left off and away we go together again. Ain't no thing.

• Like 1