Dear ANET thanks for RUINING the Wintersday Karma farm for everyone except rich players

Will.9785

I don't understand why Anet is freaking out over the food giving the notes and removing the option to get them from holiday events. It's not like the notes directly gives you the items associated with them. You have to fing craft the items associated with them and you still need to buy the research kits to even get them, so it's still not even free. 

Get your head out of your butts, anet! You are just making it worse for the rest of us!

PS: If you are going to take notes away from food, add them to other low crafting items. Aside from specific crafting trophy items, the market has crashed. 

Edited by Zeivu.3615
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Karma farm was completely unrelated to the food though?
You spend so me karma on the weapon skins, some karma on the wrappers, and get 5x or more karma back per present.
Nothing to do with food.

If you were getting your karma from food, you were spending money that you didn't need to spend.

Looks like a thread born about bitching for the sake of bitching.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

If you were getting your karma from food, you were spending money that you didn't need to spend.

The food needed for the presents used to drop in abundance from the wintersday gifts you got from doing wintersday activities.  It was basically free.

The only reason I was looking at the TP at all this year is because the food no longer drops.  If you want to criticize me for 'bitching for the sake of bitching' the least you could do is keep up with the conversation.

Edited by Will.9785
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Bell choir isn't a great way to farm karma when you have to wait for players after every round.  With a bugged instance that never brings in new players, eventually it empties and you no longer have to wait.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the karma earned per minute spent is in fact great 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the karma earned per minute spent is in fact great 

Not when you have to wait after every round.  If you want the best odds of making a lot of karma with it, outside of being in a bugged instance, you're going to want to do it when it is not the daily and outside of prime time hours.  Every time someone leaves the instances, it forces a 30 second pause.  All of that lost time standing around adds up.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Will.9785 said:

The food needed for the presents used to drop in abundance from the wintersday gifts you got from doing wintersday activities.  It was basically free.

The only reason I was looking at the TP at all this year is because the food no longer drops.  If you want to criticize me for 'bitching for the sake of bitching' the least you could do is keep up with the conversation.

It's still "basically free". So you spend 500 karma instead of 10 silver, so what. You still get 3.5-4k karma an orphan (depending on your AP).
To claim that it is "ruined for everyone except the rich" is ridiculous. Most players were buying skins from the vendor anyways, myself included, so the orphan run is effectively unaffected for the majority of players. And for those it is - the effect is negligible.

And I don't care where the discussion has gone since because I was responding to the ridiculous title of the thread and opening post. If you didn't want people responding to the ridiculousness of the title you wrote, perhaps you shouldn't have written that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

The karma gain from all events is largely driven by what buffs you can get.

I've had good luck finding banners, eating candy canes, and applying other simple buffs.  But I've not seen a lot of karma campfires, and that is the biggest single buff.

I don't know if just fewer were given out - it seems like in past years when Wintersdays came around, I had 3-4 accumulated over the year - this year I only have 1.  So karma gain can be down a bit.  If you have no buffs, an orphan gives 1500 karma, so a gain of a bit less than 500.

On 12/15/2022 at 12:46 AM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Karma farm was completely unrelated to the food though?
You spend so me karma on the weapon skins, some karma on the wrappers, and get 5x or more karma back per present.
Nothing to do with food.

There are two components to that. First, some people used food from gifts for presents, so, they seemed like a "free" option (yeah, most people are not good at recognizing opportunity costs - but then that food was very cheap originally). Second (and that's more important, actually) both food and utilities from gifts came with buffs to karma, and getting all possible buffs is the key to a succesful orphan farm. And while for that purpose food can be replaced by birthday cake (for those that play long enough to have access to it), utilities have no replacement at all. Now they'd have to be bought or crafted, and the cost of either is quite significant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I think in the normal gifts (to open for random loot) where the food has been removevd: For certain stuff it can be interesting. Though it drops the trash most of the time and for the more rare stuff there also is a lot of cheap stuff in the loot table. (Recipes and minis that are cheap on the tp.)

I mainly hope/speculate ... for some snow diamonds and the chests for the kodan weapons. Cause the wintersday currency seems the most expensive (at least for now - Jorbreaker and Cancy Corn Cobs seem to have gotten a lot cheaper) and imo not worth trying to get the skins from the Kodan vendor directly.

Another thing is that in the chest you get for doing a few dailies ... Halloween and Wintersday do not have the currency as a choice. (Dragon Bash has Jorbreakers there as well.) With the Wintersday also offering a lot of other stuff besides the weapon skins (minis) in that chest (big gift) you get for the few dailies ... they should consider adding the expensive currency there as well. 5 snow diamonds for those that do not want the other skins ... or those that already got all the other skins.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

On 12/13/2022 at 11:37 PM, Will.9785 said:

No, you need certain foods, skins or old clothes.

I agree with you but you can buy toy skinns to exchange for wrapped gifts, but the toy skin is 2s ish on the TP or 500 ish karma from the vendor so they should increased karma per orphan by 600 karma

On 12/15/2022 at 9:03 AM, Zeivu.3615 said:

I don't understand why Anet is freaking out over the food giving the notes and removing the option to get them from holiday events. It's not like the notes directly gives you the items associated with them. You have to fing craft the items associated with them and you still need to buy the research kits to even get them, so it's still not even free. 

Get your head out of your butts, anet! You are just making it worse for the rest of us!

PS: If you are going to take notes away from food, add them to other low crafting items. Aside from specific crafting trophy items, the market has crashed. 

Not to mention that the optimal approaches to get research notes are already less than a silver per note, so if the festival food continued dropping it'd stabilise at a minimum price close to there anyway. From memory, that's not that far off what the cheaper food items were going for on the TP last year anyway.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2022 at 10:53 PM, Solvar.7953 said:

I've had good luck finding banners, eating candy canes, and applying other simple buffs.  But I've not seen a lot of karma campfires, and that is the biggest single buff.

Really? O_o

I keep running into them and can't use(still have the buff from previous encounter). This is on NA. I've been encountering them so much I've only had to use one of mine. With only 3 days left I probably won't need to use another.

On 12/15/2022 at 10:53 PM, Solvar.7953 said:

I don't know if just fewer were given out - it seems like in past years when Wintersdays came around, I had 3-4 accumulated over the year - this year I only have 1.  So karma gain can be down a bit.  If you have no buffs, an orphan gives 1500 karma, so a gain of a bit less than 500.

That is the base line but you are going to have at least 10% from the birthday cakes that are going to be strewn around.

If you only do 15 for the daily that it is roughly equal to doing 30 events.

There is also another 10% you can get from doing the race.

On 12/26/2022 at 12:01 PM, draxynnic.3719 said:

Not to mention that the optimal approaches to get research notes are already less than a silver per note, so if the festival food continued dropping it'd stabilise at a minimum price close to there anyway. From memory, that's not that far off what the cheaper food items were going for on the TP last year anyway.

The cheapest notes have pretty much always been cheaper than the Wintersday foods. Before the release of EoD the cheapest of these were 81c which makes the price/note 75c. The cheapest options for notes had been sub-70 since around the same time the drops were removed but getting notes from things other than food and potions was a pain before the October patch that allowed crafting notes directly. Using the wintersday food for notes would have been more convenient but not most cost efficient.

On 12/14/2022 at 6:03 PM, Zeivu.3615 said:

you still need to buy the research kits to even get them, so it's still not even free. 

Are you seriously complaining about a 0.8c cost?

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 1:17 PM, Khisanth.2948 said:

Really? O_o

I keep running into them and can't use(still have the buff from previous encounter). This is on NA. I've been encountering them so much I've only had to use one of mine. With only 3 days left I probably won't need to use another.

That is the base line but you are going to have at least 10% from the birthday cakes that are going to be strewn around.

If you only do 15 for the daily that it is roughly equal to doing 30 events.

There is also another 10% you can get from doing the race.

The cheapest notes have pretty much always been cheaper than the Wintersday foods. Before the release of EoD the cheapest of these were 81c which makes the price/note 75c. The cheapest options for notes had been sub-70 since around the same time the drops were removed but getting notes from things other than food and potions was a pain before the October patch that allowed crafting notes directly. Using the wintersday food for notes would have been more convenient but not most cost efficient.

Are you seriously complaining about a 0.8c cost?

If you are gonna quote me, quote the whole thing. Because you know dmn well that isn't what I am saying, at all.

• Confused 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 bring back some foods to the gifts this 2022 felt bad gift wise for the trick o treat bags and winters day gifts  just getting ciders and maybe a candy can so little i had to buy them all to stack minty fresh breath  just feels bland, felt more unrewarding to play these festivals  hope for something better in 2023

• Thanks 3

• 9 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 12:25 AM, Will.9785 said:

It's on the one next to him actually.  But still, now you have to spent over 1k karma just to BUY the gift and wrap it.  It seriously cuts into the rewards.

SO the orphan farm gives huge karma, and when you need to spend some karma to get more its a problem?
Dude I get about 4250 karma per present. that still is  +3k profit.
I have over 20M karm and I can not get rid of it.

Also OP complaining that those gifts are for rich players only? Is he joking about this?
Do you really think rich players will invest time and gold so they can get Karma? They do it for the achievement
If you play the game long enough you should have to much karma anyway, if not you're doing something wrong i guess.

• Sad 1

On 12/14/2022 at 2:05 AM, Daniyyel.3428 said:

That would be correct.  FYI, I didn't have to.  I chose to.  Big difference.... I don't spend gold to buy gems.  The exchange rate isn't good. I know a lot of people who do the same.   I was only pointing out the statement you made with zero evidence  was wrong because I know others who earned them all.  Since you seem to be lost about how the economy works or how to use it for your benefit.  Maybe look up the basics.

He is just trolling I bet, probably doesn't know how to earn gold so accuses us with Facet titles that we must of swiped. 

Honestly in my journey for all the Facet titles karma was the hard part. I had to grind LS4 mobs for karma lol

• Confused 1