Eater of Souls

Cryshal.4036

@Cryshal.4036 said:I'ts moot now, I had a hard crash. Three hours into that quest and have to do it over? I don't think so. It should be divided so you don't have to start with Balthazar again. I know some of you guys are good at this. but it's not fair for some of us.

Good at it or not, it's very frustrating to have to start it over from the very beginning.

@Cryshal.4036 said:I'ts moot now, I had a hard crash. Three hours into that quest and have to do it over? I don't think so. It should be divided so you don't have to start with Balthazar again.

As someone who had the story crash out 5 times in a row, i know that feel. The instance is a tad bit too long and would be better served as atleast 2 separate fights or at least have the GW1 connection save state feature.

But it is what it is.

@Cryshal.4036 said:I'ts moot now, I had a hard crash. Three hours into that quest and have to do it over? I don't think so. It should be divided so you don't have to start with Balthazar again. I know some of you guys are good at this. but it's not fair for some of us.

3 Hours?What!? Bro, what are you doing you playing with a naked toon or something? Add me in game ill help you out.

@sylvnfox.7086 said:eater of souls is a joke now. I just played through on my post patch power reaper and I just face tanked it in shroud, ate the drain and killed it never coming out of shroud.

It was a joke before. Im just blindly assuming everyone who was complaining about it before never learned (or bothered) to learn what CC is in HoT

It is a long instance, that's true. I think that splitting it up would diminish the storytelling quite a lot though. As it is right now, you are actually killed by Balthazarr. Where would you break that instance up? You can't end it after the balthazar fight, you are dead and can't walk around, choosing when to enter the underworld or wherever we went.

@OriOri.8724 said:

It is a long instance, that's true. I think that splitting it up would diminish the storytelling quite a lot though. As it is right now, you are actually killed by Balthazarr. Where would you break that instance up? You can't end it after the balthazar fight, you are dead and can't walk around, choosing when to enter the underworld or wherever we went.

They could have split that into two story instances, to be honest. The prime example is the "Beast of War" and "To Kill A God" chapters, which occur back to back, where you transition into the latter seamlessly upon defeating the Warbeast, with only a minor instance shift. This way people could jump right back into the final instance without having to go through the prior lengthy instance.

As such, ANet could move the existing instance entry node further down the steps, and create a new one at the top of the spire that will bring players straight into the Domain of the Lost. This saves a great deal of time for players by allowing them to skip the multi-stage fight with Balthazar.

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

They could have split that into two story instances, to be honest. The prime example is the "Beast of War" and "To Kill A God" chapters, which occur back to back, where you transition into the latter seamlessly upon defeating the Warbeast, with only a minor instance shift. This way people could jump right back into the final instance without having to go through the prior lengthy instance.

As such, ANet could move the existing instance entry node further down the steps, and create a new one at the top of the spire that will bring players straight into the Domain of the Lost. This saves a great deal of time for players by allowing them to skip the multi-stage fight with Balthazar.

That's not an example, because you don't die in the middle of that sequence. The player's death is the key point as to why this instance in particular cannot be broken up. Itjust wouldn't work, at all. If you are dead you can't just wander around the map until you find the location of your next encounter/instance. You are dead. You cannot break this instance up unfortunately

I think the instance could end just before Balthazar kills you, and then seamlessly merge into the limbo part of the instance.So it would go (name of instance purely provisional):The Departed (pt 1); fight balthazar until he's just about to kill you ->> The Departed (pt 2); Opens to cutscene where you're trapped + killed by Balthazar, then go into limbo and do the eater of souls and such.

Seamlessly merge - as seen in the aforemeantioned beast of war -> to kill a god instances, so generally you wouldn't get an instance break unless you happened to crash/exit the instance, but should you crash/leave just after fighting balthazar you don't have to do the entire thing again and it still makes...a little? sense.(Let's face it you can put the criticism "but you wouldn't be running around after that!" between beast of war -> to kill a god too, hense why that one has a seamless merge of instances. but it still exists because anet are somewhat reasonable, so I don't see why a seperation of instances like this can't also happen here.)

@Game of Bones.8975 said:If you run through with a Ranger/pet or Necro/MM, he will siphon them and leave you alone (except for AOE attacks). Meat shields are good for that sort of thing.

If you're letting him siphon, you're doing it wrong. Anything even remotely CC like, apparently including cripple, will break his break bar. This was out of the box. Break the break bar when he jumps, he never siphons, he dies easy.

@OriOri.8724 said:

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

That's not an example, because you don't die in the middle of that sequence. The player's death is the key point as to why this instance in particular cannot be broken up. Itjust wouldn't work, at all. If you are dead you can't just wander around the map until you find the location of your next encounter/instance. You are dead. You cannot break this instance up unfortunately

They could make the domain of the lost an actual zone like the tutorial zone, and also an instance. So you finish the balthazar fight and are moved to the domain of the lost, there is literally no way out of the domain of the lost zone until you finish that chapter. Would that satisfy your cinematic sensibilities?

Seriously, it's a story. How is crashing and being thrust back into the living world back before it happened any more jarring that having a split that puts you back into the world after you died but before the domain of the lost? How about this? You make the cinematic in which you die the beginning of the domain of the lost chapter. That way, you technically don't die at the end of the Balthazar fight, then when you go to redo domain of the lost the very first thing you see is you dying. No discrepancy.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

They could make the domain of the lost an actual zone like the tutorial zone, and also an instance. So you finish the balthazar fight and are moved to the domain of the lost, there is literally no way out of the domain of the lost zone until you finish that chapter. Would that satisfy your cinematic sensibilities?

Seriously, it's a story. How is crashing and being thrust back into the living world back before it happened any more jarring that having a split that puts you back into the world after you died but before the domain of the lost? How about this? You make the cinematic in which you die the beginning of the domain of the lost chapter. That way, you technically don't die at the end of the Balthazar fight, then when you go to redo domain of the lost the very first thing you see is you dying. No discrepancy.

No, because then there's no way for you to go back and replay that chapter, since you wouldn't have a way back to the domain of the lost unless you get killed by Balthazar again. This instance could use checkpoints for sure, but it can't be split up

@sylvnfox.7086 said:eater of souls is a joke now. I just played through on my post patch power reaper and I just face tanked it in shroud, ate the drain and killed it never coming out of shroud.

Eater of souls WAS a joke even before. I went at him completely 'blind' (as in not knowing what to expect) and his attack pattern is so obvious that I killed him on the 1st try without going through his break bar even once.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

More like the hearts and minds instance or the rally to maguuma instance. It is strange how easily anet forgets their own good ideas.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:If you run through with a Ranger/pet or Necro/MM, he will siphon them and leave you alone (except for AOE attacks). Meat shields are good for that sort of thing.

On Oct 5th he was nerfed. The nerf included his ability to siphon health from pets and minions (he can’t now). Also decreased the amount he can steal from the player and increased the uptime of the break bar.

Even a cripple/chill broke his bar before he was even nerfed, just people still didn’t learn what crowd control was from HoT. But the story has to be super easy for those players that don’t learn too quickly.

@Cryshal.4036 said:If I leave the instance at this point, do I have to do the entire quest over again? Including Balthazar? I can't damage him at all.

sadly yes right after i beat the eater of souls and about to finish the mission the game crashed and i had to do the quest all over again so i havent done it since

@Sobx.1758 said:

Eater of souls WAS a joke even before. I went at him completely 'blind' (as in not knowing what to expect) and his attack pattern is so obvious that I killed him on the 1st try without going through his break bar even once.

Same. Took me a little to figure out the boss which made it take a while and felt super boring.But I never CC'd him and beat it on my first try. I didn't see the issue in the boss.

I went with a friend which did the story after the patch and there was a guy there waiting to do the story talking about how hard the boss was.I said "Yeah... "was" I guess. I found it easy before, but I heard they patched it to hell so I'm sure he's much easier now."

The guy saw my friend dropped him on Reaper in one shroud and felt like he was pathetic and not getting how the boss died so fast.I saw what my friend did and I was laughing hard and didn't realized that Arenanet slaughtered that boss to hell. It's beyond pathetic now.

Archived