Update & Downloading Files [Merged]

1 hour ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

As I replied in this other thread, its limited by the speed of your computer, not your connection.

Well that isnt true at all, I run an ssd and every patch is almost instant, this has never happened. So something is wrong with the launcher 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

But... that would mean removing files...

what 156k files did they add?

Oh goody strange files , yeah i want to know what are all these files. I cant even log in , why do I get the feeling they are doing more than that. 

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Confused 1

It took me an hour to download. They did it with like 250k small packets size this time around, so your speed doesn't matter as much when you need to download a lot of them.

Edit: I should mention it took between 10 minute and 2 hours for others as well. Some believe it is because the new Dx11 changes coming it is this way.

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345

Super slow and making my comp fans sound like a mountain windstorm. Still have 95k files to go hours later. I was able to play some of the festival stuff earlier. Just got most of my dailies done with huge lag spikes. Tried to pop over to the desert for the vista daily. Region not downloaded yet. Oh well, I'll just pop in for some wvw to get at least one more daily. Oh look, big fight at our keep, I'll just zip over there and show the world what I'm made of. Oh wait, there's a solo camping our spawn and would you look at that, as soon as I see him I am down on the ground because festival/patch lag goes everywhere. Hey he got chased off and I got rezzed, let me run into the keep and join the battle. Ok guys, here I am to save the day. What is that? Oh, that's the whole enemy zerg that just blinked into existence around me and I'm already dead. Ok, let's try again, maybe the map will stabilize. Let me just rez back at spawn WP real quick and settle in for a fun evening in wvw. Wait, why did it go to EB loading screen when I was already there? No prob! I'll be back in no time. Here we go! Hmm, taking a bit longer than normal. Oh that's interesting, it seems to be stalled on the loading screen.

Do we get dailies for posting on the forums?

• Like 2

Was going to make this topic then found this one...I agree, something up with this.

It's either badly optimized (as I have had it fluctuate from 6Mb/s to 60 Kb/s) or is adding more than they are saying--or both.  

Hard to tell as overall size seems to be just south of 1GB, which considering today's coding practices could very well just be cosmetics; or it could actually be a new zone they'll announce in a month or so.  

The fact the launcher fluctuates from MB/s to below 100 Kb/s quite regularly is probably the most concerning thing.  

How do you manage to break a launcher?

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm now regretting not leaving the launcher running when I left for work this morning, the release team need a new way of patching by package up the entire patch as a single package then patch locally, waiting on downloading these tiny files 1 by 1 at 8-20kb/s is killing me

Edited by crepuscular.9047
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Well that isnt true at all, I run an ssd and every patch is almost instant, this has never happened. So something is wrong with the launcher 

Having an SSD only reduces the duration of loading/saving the data, but there's many other factors involved.

As I explained in that post, large files will behave as expected because it requires only minimal metadata processing and spends 90% of its time downloading or writing to disk.

As for players who suggested they should just roll it all into one archive and then download that, they can't. The game relies on metadata patching on a file-by-file basis from the servers because that allows players to abandon the game at any time, come back, and only download the newest version of files they're missing which have changed, even if they skipped many updates inbetween.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

6 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

It doesn't matter much if it's 1 huge file or lots of small files. They're downloaded into a cache file. Any updates always involves 1000's of small files. It is extremely unusual when the download speed is less than 1/1000 of the normal speed.

It matters if it is one huge file or lots of smaller files(with sufficiently small files) but in this case the download speed is a red herring. The speed low not because of a problem occurring. The speed is low because there is not enough data to saturate the connection.

There are also other factors like whether or not request pipelining/multiplexing is being used.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 1

In the last 2 hours, I went from 95k files left to 66k. At about 15k files per hour, this patch will end up taking me about 10 hours to download. With just the launcher downloading (game is turned off) and this browser open, my CPU is at 162 degrees and CPU fan is running at 100% (auto mode). I would be doing the environment a favor if I closed the launcher and started mining bitcoin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, crepuscular.9047 said:

I'm now regretting not leaving the launcher running when I left for work this morning, the release team need a new way of patching by package up the entire patch as a single package then patch locally, waiting on downloading these tiny files 1 by 1 at 8-20kb/s is killing me

If everything was packed into a single file, you would only save ~10 minutes on the download. The main slowdown comes from having to patch 169k files. Some people may find it quicker to disable delta patching (-nodelta) and just download the full files, as it's having to decompress, apply a patch and re-compress ~163k files; at the very least, it would give the illusion of a faster download.

Whew, glad is not my system and oh well, stuff like this happens and it's not like I have nothing else to do. Sure, it's a bit annoying but hey, I can remember times when there was that rule "patch day is no play day" (not GW). They took all servers down, sometimes the entire day, plus the download would take hours. If we really got unlucky they would screw something up and the servers would go down for days.

I'll brew a fresh coffee now. Have a nice day ya'll.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Snoophelia.9510 said:

Whew, glad is not my system and oh well, stuff like this happens and it's not like I have nothing else to do. Sure, it's a bit annoying but hey, I can remember times when there was that rule "patch day is no play day" (not GW). They took all servers down, sometimes the entire day, plus the download would take hours. If we really got unlucky they would screw something up and the servers would go down for days.

I'll brew a fresh coffee now. Have a nice day ya'll.

yeah other mmo's patchday = downtime half day etc.

i think such huge files update is preparation for final change to DX11 soon. Is not that they always have to update 160k files.

This is good job the tech updates comming in.