Housing /building/ city

Balsa.3951

I am unsure on feasibility of the suggested "city", but generally speaking I would actually like a something like guild hall, but with pricing scaled down to the single player level, because I love GH decorating systems, and the only reason why I do not spend much more time doing it than I currently do, is strictly because the resources costs were set with big groups of players in mind, and well I do not have big group of active players to fund my guild hall funzies, and I definitelly do not have enough time in life to grind all those resources myself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Guild Halls are already city-size maps. And its not uncommon for them to add massive decorations.

All they really need to do to fulfill this is add full buildings as decorations, and then turn NPCs and other guild hall interactables (anvil, scribe station) into placeable decorations as well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, soul.9651 said:

Idk maybe someone already said this but its the same as with mounts. People were against it and with PoF anet made something unique and added them Into the game. Same with housing, maybe anet could create a unique style of housing aswell or honestly just rework the current home instances its either useless place now where people dont even bother to go or a node farm where most materials you get has such a minimal value.. like how much gold does full home instance harvesting even give you? Few gold maybe not even that??? Less than a gold? If you you convert it Into the gold ofc and if u have all of those harvesting nodes. Like compare the profit you getting from the harvesting to how much it costs to even get all the nodes. Its just a scam and a waste of gold and it just need an absolute rework, the whole current housing system.. 

They are not really comparable. Mounts are applicable to nearly everywhere in the game. Housing or city is only applicable to its own niche.  They also changed the map design after introducing to mounts to force the use of mounts. So how do you plan on making home instances mandatory?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

They are not really comparable. Mounts are applicable to nearly everywhere in the game. Housing or city is only applicable to its own niche.  They also changed the map design after introducing to mounts to force the use of mounts. So how do you plan on making home instances mandatory?

Well im not a dev first of all so its not my concern how they would do that, but as a customer i can say that the current "housing system" if you can even call it that way or "home instances" just sucks and i cant see anything beeing usefull there.. farming map currencies which you no longer need or getting useless  materials which you can buy on tp anyway doesnt make "home instances" any better.. its just a place which by the vast majority of people is forgotten in this game. 

Anything they would decide to change about home instances or rework them in any way they want would be better than what we have rn..

Edited by soul.9651
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:51 PM, Min Min.9368 said:

Very, very, VERY few players are interested in building or decorating stuff in the game . Go check out your guild halls and see for yourself. Your idea will need a lot of resources to implement yet no or very, very, VERY little monetary gain for ANet. Same for guild hall improvements and WvW, hence they are neglected or given very, very, VERY little attention all these years.

Guild halls is not really housing because its too big and impersonal, and the itemisation and build options are weak.

As for not being popular, look at ESO, despite the fact their engine cannot even cope(?) with furnishing large houses its hugely popular.  I willingly paid cash there and would willingly pay for it here as well.  As a bonus It would also add a whole new layer of rewards to every content type in GW2, e.g fractals, pvp ,dungeons, raids, wvw, fishing etc etc. 

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, soul.9651 said:

Well im not a dev first of all so its not my concern how they would do that, but as a customer i can say that the current "housing system" if you can even call it that way or "home instances" just sucks and i cant see anything beeing usefull there.. farming map currencies which you no longer need or getting useless  materials which you can buy on tp anyway doesnt make "home instances" any better.. its just a place which by the vast majority of people is forgotten in this game. 

Anything they would decide to change about home instances or rework them in any way they want would be better than what we have rn..

Since you are the one making the claims then you are the one that has to back up those claims not expect someone else to clean up for you.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Guild halls is not really housing because its too big and impersonal, and the itemisation and build options are weak.

As for not being popular, look at ESO, despite the fact their engine cannot even cope(?) with furnishing large houses its hugely popular.  I willingly paid cash there and would willingly pay for it here as well.  As a bonus It would also add a whole new layer of rewards to every content type in GW2, e.g fractals, pvp ,dungeons, raids, wvw, fishing etc etc. 

Big is good. What other mmo lets you build huge structures and even racetracks that can be opened to the public for racing events? Impersonal? You can make your Hall personal by making your guild a private one 😀 I know many players in the game have their own private guilds. And some even have more than one.

I agree with the weak build and itemisation mechanics though. But ANet didn't want to work on it despite having plenty of areas for improvements (and make money with cash items) making our Guild Halls great again. Why? Most likely they can see that there is no potential due to the lack of interest from the player base.

Resources will be better used to focus on more expansions and working to improve present one.

Edited by Min Min.9368
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As I'm sure you all know there are different types of game players in the world. A group of us play Ark and there are several who really enjoy the game mostly for the building, my wife (who is relatively new to gaming) being one of them. There are others who like exploring the wilds, fighting, taming and breeding dinos, dungeons and bosses, etc. It varies.

There is clearly a big market for building games. The questions are whether Arena could add building to GW2 and have it fit in elegantly, how much work would it be, whether that would be enough to attract the building type players, and how whether it would turn away some of their existing target market.

My gut feeling is that it would be hard with GW2. Having everyone build all in together would be crazy IMO, too chaotic, too crowded and probably missing the point in that while builders want people to see the cool things they build, they mainly want the people they know to see them and they want the right setting too - in a chaotic communal building world it's going to be all over the place. You would need some sort of instanced building, but doing home instances is probably too lonesome, not visible enough to feel that much of an achievement. So maybe something like the Guilds where guild members could build their houses in zones around the guild hall? That could perhaps work? I think it would still feel like a bit of a bolt on tho.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

I m amazed how u guys get anets metrics on stuff?

so whats the exact number?

wish ppl would talk their opinion as opinion as making claims about what other want.

It is obviously if follow those with their "Metrics of the NO MOUNT beat a dead Horse" crowd we wouldnt be interested in Mounts

But here we are.

Anet has the Tech and the only thing what stops the individual player me in my case I only can say for me

Is the hight cost to make and decorate my own guildhall. I do so have a guild bank and enjoy my crazy amount of extra bankslots.

Ironacly what I suggest already exist in game Kinda Guildhall and Hub aka Eye of the North. Eye of the north is full of player but the moment u add some extra it becomes empty and unused? go figure

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Just now, Balsa.3951 said:

I m amazed how u guys get anets metrics on stuff?

so whats the exact number?

wish ppl would talk their opinion as opinion as making claims about what other want.

It is obviously if follow those with their "Metrics of the NO MOUNT beat a dead Horse" crowd we wouldnt be interested in Mounts

But here we are.

Anet has the Tech and the only thing what stops the individual player me in my case I only can say for me

Is the hight cost to make and decorate my own guildhall. I do so have a guild bank and enjoy my crazy amount of extra bankslots.

Ironacly what I suggest already exist in game Kinda Guildhall and Hub aka Eye of the North. Eye of the north is full of player but the moment u add some extra it becomes empty and unused? go figure

Considering how GW2 still doesn't have housing, or even talks about it from Anet through the years of "Anet we need housing" threads we can safely assume Anet also thinks that their resources are better spent elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

51 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Considering how GW2 still doesn't have housing, or even talks about it from Anet through the years of "Anet we need housing" threads we can safely assume Anet also thinks that their resources are better spent elsewhere.

I don't really care about housing if they add it or not.  But Anet never really talked about things like mounts, fishing, two person mounts, and engine upgrades until they committed to doing it and had already done significant work on those things.  And that is smart because as we know if they discuss projects before committing and too early people will start complaining about "broken promises" even if it is something they said they were simply thinking of doing. 

People were asking for mounts constantly since launch and Anet didn't really talk about it until they announced PoF.  Same with fishing and EoD.  These were things a lot of people said shouldn't or won't happen and they did eventually.   So we don't know for certain what Anet is thinking.  For all we know they are working on housing as part of the upcoming expansion.  It actually would not surprise me because they are kind of running out of significant things to add.  But Anet also has been pretty good at thinking outside the box with such things so who knows?

Edited by Nine Inch Snails.7963
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Maybe you do, but then again when I pointed out why the idea is bad, you said you're not a dev and you're not here to debate on details 😄 

I think it's a bad idea with next to no gameplay value. Comparing it to player hubs currently in the game looks like a miss, considering the vast area your idea would need. Someone also already made a good point about you being able to build in guild hall and "but it costs a lot" seems like a weak counter-agument considering you were talking about integrating gemstore purchases into your idea anyways.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

As the game evolves and becomes feature rich, other well established features of MMorpg can potentially rise in relevance (for e.g like fishing) I know for a fact many enjoy good quality housing, and as I said a major positive side effect from housing is a new layers of rewards can be added to all content to raise interest.  On top of this there is crafting and the economy.  Its definitely a good thing.  

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Maybe you do, but then again when I pointed out why the idea is bad, you said you're not a dev and you're not here to debate on details 😄 

I cant follow ur logic, hope u can. sorry for that.

To clarify Im not a Dev Yes thats what I said and thats right + I can only speak for myself, because Im only me and I have no insider information

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

A customised player house has been asked for years (and I'm sure ArenaNet will deliver it at some point), but buying a piece of land in a big city... I can't see how this could work well. Apart from the likely horrors that we'll have for sure, in the attempt to make our house brighter than the Lion's Arch lighthouse (we all know that flashy items are requested and bought from the shop, so ANet will obviously sell them), my concern is more about how this would work in the long run.

In other MMORPGs that I played, where a public estate/piece of land was offered, the fastest and richest players bought the best lands (a dozen) on day one; all the other properties (40-50 per map) were also sold the first day of the auction, leaving the majority of the players unhappy because they couldn't buy their house. GW2 has many casual players, so you can already guess how many players would complain. You can't make a map so big to contain so many customised house, considering that even a simple guild hall takes a lot to load when you enter (and it contains only 2000 decoration max). It's not a problem of building vertically rather than horizontally. It's a matter of having too many custom decorations on the same map.

The alternative is to make several "cities" that will have the same layout, with different channels, like in FFXIV. Did you watch Pint's video about the collective work that it took to buy a house in FFXIV? ArenaNet would make a lot of players angry.

It's not an easy solution: on one hand, people want a public house for vanity, to show off their "creativity"/wellness; on the other hand, the slots will be limited and in a casual game, you're going to upset a lot of people.

I really like the concept, though I do think there are some bits that would be complicated.  Specifically, is this a set instance where you own a plot, meaning your neighbour is always the same, or is it that you own the same grid position in a random instance, meaning the city will change around you?

Option (1)  has issues with low populations, people leaving etc.

Option (2) won't really feel like a city.

If they added something like this to Guild Halls (basically add a "suburb" section to each hall, there's plenty of space), and players can add houses their, great 🙂  Though I get a bit less cool, I'm just not sure how it could work otherwise (and ANet have surprised me before).

On the people saying this is unpopular/waste of resource and guild hall decorations prove it.  I really don't think that's a fair comparison.  Guild hall decoration, much as I personally enjoy it, is terribly implemented and has a really high barrier for entry.   Plus MMO economies run on whales, and housing is hugely monetisable.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I think working on housing would be a lose-lose for anet. Either they produce something that doesn't meet the widely differing hopes and expectations of many players and get a lot of criticism for their efforts, or they produce something a-ma-zing and everyone goes off to play GW2 The Sims for the next few years, killing the rest of the game.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

On 1/12/2023 at 9:06 PM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

We need people on older maps, not in houses with their clique.

Well, this could be accomplished by adding decorations to the loot tables of those maps. Just don't think Anet will do housing in GW2 though. I mean, I'd like it, but it would be a matter of resources vs benefits and going by these threads in the forums here, they do come back regularly but I also don't see an overwhelming support for it. 

Now, I know that these forums are hardly representative of the player base, but then again it's not really a regular topic in game either.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Well, this could be accomplished by adding decorations to the loot tables of those maps. Just don't think Anet will do housing in GW2 though. I mean, I'd like it, but it would be a matter of resources vs benefits and going by these threads in the forums here, they do come back regularly but I also don't see an overwhelming support for it. 

Now, I know that these forums are hardly representative of the player base, but then again it's not really a regular topic in game either.

Meaningful loot? Not gonna happen. ANet puts all cosmetic rewards in the gem store….

• Confused 5

3 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

going by these threads in the forums here, they do come back regularly but I also don't see an overwhelming support for it. 

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in that.  This forum has an extremely low population of active posters relative to the game, and from what I've seen it isn't particularly representative of the player base.

Not to say that I think housing will be all that popular, as most people I've played with care very little for decorating guild halls as well (I still think it's potentially a good idea though, as some of the players that do care will probably spend a LOT on it).

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 1/15/2023 at 5:09 AM, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

The questions are whether Arena could add building to GW2 and have it fit in elegantly, how much work would it be, whether that would be enough to attract the building type players, and how whether it would turn away some of their existing target market.

That question was already answered when they released HoT. Guild halls and decorating them was an expansion feature yet it is missing basic things such as adjusting the position of an already placed decoration or the ability to remove a specific decoration.

3 hours ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Not to say that I think housing will be all that popular, as most people I've played with care very little for decorating guild halls as well (I still think it's potentially a good idea though, as some of the players that do care will probably spend a LOT on it).

The main problem with that is you can't tell unless you asked all of those people whether they don't decorate due to lack of interest or due to the horrible system available for doing the decorating. Additionally they need to have the right permissions and then we have to address the shortcomings of the rank system.