So what's in the Jade Sea?

Sajuuk Khar.1509

On 2/13/2023 at 10:13 PM, Zola.6197 said:

Maybe it's an area where the jade sea and kaineng ruins collide?

Pongmei Valley existed between old Kaineng City and both the Jade Sea and Echovald forest. That said, it could have been built up between the time of GW: Factions and when Zhaitan rose. It wasn't that much land.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, anninke.7469 said:

Even if it is so, it doesn't give a reason to go and meddle in stuff in a country on the other side of the world like we are the only available capable person on the whole planet. So is it out of boredom? Fear of suddenly losing relevance? I guess I'll see soon enough to find out myself. What I mean by this rant of mine is that I'd be more interested in the Commander's motivation for another adventure than in the nature of that adventure (so the Commander feels a tiny bit more alive and a tiny bit less like just a player-vessel).

Based on the recent teasers and mentions in EoD, it seems like Empress Ihn's visit to DR is going to be involved in the Commander's reason for going back to Cantha. Possibly the purists use this visit as an opportunity to launch an attack and/or try to use whatever power is in the Jade Sea to take control. of Cantha, such as by using the Ley energy as a bargaining chip to an empire that is desperately in need of energy or using Kanaxai as a weapon (similar to how they're trying to use Risen as a weapon). Some type of purist plotline would make sense, as we know they have been making big plans in Raisu Palace and that they already have members in high-ranking political/military positions from Minister Li's story.

They could also tie this in with the Deep Sea Monster/underwater/Battle Isles-based mini-expac, in that the Purists try to control it or use its power to control the risen. If they do go this route: a possible map sequence could be: Quarterly updates: Jade Sea + Drowned Kaineng/Raisu Palace (Possibly also western Shing-Jea for a purist-based map) -> Miniexpac: Unending Ocean + Battle Isles.

Edited by Poormany.4507

32 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

If they do go this route: a possible map sequence could be: Quarterly updates: Jade Sea + Drowned Kaineng/Raisu Palace (Possibly also western Shing-Jea for a purist-based map) -> Miniexpac: Unending Ocean + Battle Isles.

There is one only map being added for the quarterly updates. This jade sea map, thats getting expanded upon in the quarterly udpate after that, and then we get the first mini-xpack.

So it would have to be something like

1. EoD Quarterly update map: Jade Sea
  2. Mini X-pack 1: Purists -> Western Shing Jea, Drowned Kaineng
  3. Mini X-pack 1 quarterly update map: Kirin Peaks
  4. Mini X-pack 2: Deep Sea Monster -> Great Turtly highlands, Battle Isles
  5. Mini X-pack 2 quarterly update map : Ocean depths
Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

There is one only map being added for the quarterly updates. This jade sea map, thats getting expanded upon in the quarterly udpate after that, and then we get the first mini-xpack.

Yeah sure they are gonna sell you two more xpacs in cantha just after EoD, not happening, has 0 sense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Just like it makes zero sense to do a living world season in Elona right after we got an xpack in Elona right?

Yes, there is a big difference. Living season was free and a continuation of the expansion, not a new expansion.

Tell me how they are gonna sell you an expansion for 20/25 euros with western shin jea and old kaineng ? right after EoD. And then on top of that another expansion for 20/25 euros of Deep Sea Monster and Turtle Mountains.

Wheres the hype around that? How are they gonna sell it to the playerbase? like oh hey were 25 euros to go fight some random purist in shig jea you already know and have been around in the last expansion. Will not work. If they sell something new, a new location, then, thats different.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Yes, there is a big difference. Living season was free and a continuation of the expansion, not a new expansion.

Except LW wasn't free, as you had to buy the expansion associated with it in order to play it. And even then, it was only "free" if you logged it when it was the newest release. Anyone coming in later has to, you know, buy it.

1 hour ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Tell me how they are gonna sell you an expansion for 20/25 euros with western shin jea and old kaineng ? right after EoD. And then on top of that another expansion for 20/25 euros of Deep Sea Monster and Turtle Mountains.

Wheres the hype around that? How are they gonna sell it to the playerbase? like oh hey were 25 euros to go fight some random purist in shig jea you already know and have been around in the last expansion. Will not work. If they sell something new, a new location, then, thats different.

Well, lets take this argument to its logical conclusion shall we?

• How will Anet sell us an expansion set in a desert if we already have PoF?
  • How will Anet sell us an expansion set anywhere like Asia if we already have EoD?
  • How will Anet sell us an expansion in a jungle if we have HoT?
  • How will Anet sell us an expansion set in mountains when we already have mountains all over the place?
  • How will Anet sell us an expansion in a grasslands region if we already have Ascalon?
  • Lets not forget about swamps, forests, hills, savannas, volcanic regions, and everything else GW2 already covers...

Ohh wait thats pretty much every environment you can think of. Ohh well guys, Anet better pack their bags and just close down GW2 right now. They have nowhere really "new" to sell us in an Xpack!

Yeah, most people don't guy Xpacks for some 100% new location. They buy it to get more content, and see new stories. Hell WP just recently did a video of obvious mini-xpack locations... and like half of them are places like

• The Maguuma(to wrap up the Malyck plot)
  • Ascalon/Charr lands(to wrap up the remaining Charr/Ghosts of Ascalon plot)
  • The Far Shiverpeaks(to wrap up the Norn returning to their lands plot)

Most of the remaining GW2 stories are in places we've already been too, or are connected to places we've already been. They're absolutely going to sell us mini-xpacks around these areas, because there isn't much to do that ISN'T in these areas we've already been too.

Now will the Purist plot, and the Deep Sea Monster plot, absolutely be the next stories? Maybe not, but they've very obviously set these two stories up as future stories, and both are heavily connected to Cantha. Just as PoF set up the Joko and Kralk plots in Elona for more Elona content in LWS4, since PoF didn't cover all of Elona itself.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

They already announced two quarterly updates this year, both expanding on end of dragons. I think maybe you're overestimating how frequent the mini expacs are, or underestimating how much they add. The impression I get is mini expansion every year, then 2-3 quarterly updates. They haven't announced how frequent they will be yet but this seems the most realistic to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

They already announced two quarterly updates this year, both expanding on end of dragons. I think maybe you're overestimating how frequent the mini expacs are, or underestimating how much they add. The impression I get is mini expansion every year, then 2-3 quarterly updates. They haven't announced how frequent they will be yet but this seems the most realistic to me. 

That's..... literally what I just said.

1 minute ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Wasn't really clear from how your post was written and we don't know how much they'll be adding to end of dragons since it isn't a "mini" expansion. 

We do know how much they'll be adding to EoD, they stated as much in the recent blog post. Its one new map, spread across two quarterly updates.

With the first of these mini-expansions supposedly coming out later this year, according to what Grouch hinted at in one of MightyTeapot's stream chats.

So it would be something like

• Feb 28th, map section 1
  • May/June, map section 2
  • August/September Mini-Xpack 1.

And unless we get the first quarterly update for mini-xpack 1 in November, it will probably be Jan 2024 when we get the 1st update for that one. Since Anet doesn't tend to release new content in December.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:11 PM, mandala.8507 said:

The hierarchy here is actually reversed. The elder dragons only went mad because of the Void's influence on and corruption of Tyria's magic. The Elder Dragons are the neutral forces of nature and the Void is the malevolent force. The Void is also bigger than Aurene and she does not control it. She definitely is uniquely resistant to its influence compared to the previous elder dragons on Tyria, though.

And of course, good and evil are relative. The Void is just doing its thing, but when your thing is the unraveling of reality, that makes you evil to beings dependent on that not happening.

You're correct that the Elder Dragons went insane because of the Void's influence. Nor were the Elder Dragons neutral before being influenced by the Void. Kralkatorrik for example hunted down mortals for sport, and Jormag was barely influenced by the Void until the events IBS yet still saw to manipulate and slaughter mortals in thousands. The Void was only able to influence the Elder Dragons because they didn't restrain their own greed and consumed magic freely, as well.

However, the Void is not malevolent in of itself. End of Dragons made that much clear, that the Void was just a neutral force of nature. Hazardous to life, but not evil or with cruel intent. Like radiation, it isn't healthy to be around, but it isn't evil.

But the Elder Dragons influenced the Void as much as the Void influenced them - and from that mutual influence the Dragonvoid was born, and the Dragonvoid is evil, hostile, and seeking to eradicate life and the world.

As to Aurene controlling it - she pretty much states that she does at the end of End of Dragons, at least in the scope of the Void's influence on Tyria.

How do you feel with the Void gone?

Aurene: I...I don't know. Not as different as I would have expected.
Aurene: Something's changed about the ley energy... Somehow it's more...pure.
Aurene: But make no mistake, my champion. As long as dragon magic continues to exist, so too will the Void.
Aurene: We only destroyed the form it took. But at least it won't be ending Tyria any time soon.
<Character name>: That...doesn't make me feel much better.
Aurene: It's stable. Now that I'm...the only one, I can "see" the ley lines in their entirety.
Aurene: If there's ever a ripple in the sea of magic, I'll know.
Aurene: As will you. Scion and Champion.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Cycle,_Reborn#At_Arborstone_2

It's not direct control over all the Void (which for all we know may span the multiverse), but she has influence over the Void in Tyria, due to the fact she can control and sense all magic in the world's ley-lines now, and she can see the Void's influences in the ley-lines. She does hint it may return one day, but it won't be any time soon.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:26 PM, mandala.8507 said:

The distinction isn't made to denote the degree of malevolence, but to specify that what we defeated at the end of the expansion was only the manifestation of Void in Tyria that arose from the ending of the dragon cycle and not the greater Void, which remains a looming threat.

It is both, because the Dragonvoid has a persona, while the Void lacks such. The Void isn't a being, it is a thing. Like poisoned water, radiation, or a boulder landing on top of you - it's a thing, not living, no sentience to it, and no hostility. Thus it is not evil.
The Dragonvoid is the Void given persona, and a decidedly evil one influenced by the six Elder Dragons.

So yes, the distinction is to denote the degree of malevolence, but also to specify what we defeated at the end of the expansion.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:27 PM, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

We did get time off. Its been nearly a year since EoD, so its been nearly a year in-game since EoD, by the time this new map drops.

We don't know it's been a year yet, as there is no guarantee that ArenaNet will continue the annual syncing. And by that argument the Commander got time off between HoT and S3, and between S4 and IBS, and between IBS and EoD. But while the calendar did move on in those cases, but the Commander makes it clear at the end of EoD that they hadn't had rest.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:32 PM, anninke.7469 said:

Even if it is so, it doesn't give a reason to go and meddle in stuff in a country on the other side of the world like we are the only available capable person on the whole planet. So is it out of boredom? Fear of suddenly losing relevance? I guess I'll see soon enough to find out myself. What I mean by this rant of mine is that I'd be more interested in the Commander's motivation for another adventure than in the nature of that adventure (so the Commander feels a tiny bit more alive and a tiny bit less like just a player-vessel).

We know Rama is involved. The Commander is likely responding to a call from a friend.

Though if the Void is somehow involved, it could be that Aurene's sending the Commander on an errand to investigate and calm the Void. I hope this isn't the case, however, because I've had enough of back-to-back world ending plots that we've had since Season 3. I prefer something of a smaller scale.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

We know Rama is involved. The Commander is likely responding to a call from a friend.

Though if the Void is somehow involved, it could be that Aurene's sending the Commander on an errand to investigate and calm the Void. I hope this isn't the case, however, because I've had enough of back-to-back world ending plots that we've had since Season 3. I prefer something of a smaller scale.

Yeah, you're right, it's quite likely. And I also hope for a smaller scale stuff.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

We don't know it's been a year yet, as there is no guarantee that ArenaNet will continue the annual syncing. And by that argument the Commander got time off between HoT and S3, and between S4 and IBS, and between IBS and EoD. But while the calendar did move on in those cases, but the Commander makes it clear at the end of EoD that they hadn't had rest.

Well we know they did get a rest between IBS and EoD. Its part of the narrative that the Commander wasn't really doing anything for that like year except examining memories of past adventures to help Taimi and Gorrik examine the dragon cycle more. That and hanging out at the yearly festivals.

48 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Anet has generally been pretty good about pairing up smaller stories that aren't end of the world stuff alongside, or inside, the larger story

1. LWS3 had the White Mantle plot for the smaller scope threat, and the Primordus/Jormag plot for the larger threat
  2. LWS4 had the Joko plot for the smaller threat, Kralk for the larger threat.
  3. IBS had the Charr/Norn plots for the smaller issue, and the Jormag/Primordus stuff for the larger one

They've seemingly set up this same pattern with Cantha. The Risen/Purist plot being the smaller threat, and the Deep Sea Monster being the larger one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

You're correct that the Elder Dragons went insane because of the Void's influence. Nor were the Elder Dragons neutral before being influenced by the Void. Kralkatorrik for example hunted down mortals for sport, and Jormag was barely influenced by the Void until the events IBS yet still saw to manipulate and slaughter mortals in thousands. The Void was only able to influence the Elder Dragons because they didn't restrain their own greed and consumed magic freely, as well.

However, the Void is not malevolent in of itself. End of Dragons made that much clear, that the Void was just a neutral force of nature. Hazardous to life, but not evil or with cruel intent. Like radiation, it isn't healthy to be around, but it isn't evil.

But the Elder Dragons influenced the Void as much as the Void influenced them - and from that mutual influence the Dragonvoid was born, and the Dragonvoid is evil, hostile, and seeking to eradicate life and the world.

As to Aurene controlling it - she pretty much states that she does at the end of End of Dragons, at least in the scope of the Void's influence on Tyria.

How do you feel with the Void gone?

Aurene: I...I don't know. Not as different as I would have expected.
Aurene: Something's changed about the ley energy... Somehow it's more...pure.
Aurene: But make no mistake, my champion. As long as dragon magic continues to exist, so too will the Void.
Aurene: We only destroyed the form it took. But at least it won't be ending Tyria any time soon.
<Character name>: That...doesn't make me feel much better.
Aurene: It's stable. Now that I'm...the only one, I can "see" the ley lines in their entirety.
Aurene: If there's ever a ripple in the sea of magic, I'll know.
Aurene: As will you. Scion and Champion.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Cycle,_Reborn#At_Arborstone_2

It's not direct control over all the Void (which for all we know may span the multiverse), but she has influence over the Void in Tyria, due to the fact she can control and sense all magic in the world's ley-lines now, and she can see the Void's influences in the ley-lines. She does hint it may return one day, but it won't be any time soon.

All I can say is that I don't agree with your assertions here, that I think you're interpreting the dialogue incorrectly, and that I hope with upcoming story additions a clearer image of the inner workings of this world will come into focus for you and everyone else who's not quite seeing the bigger picture yet.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Anet has generally been pretty good about pairing up smaller stories that aren't end of the world stuff alongside, or inside, the larger story

Which is the problem imo, because the main plot is always some world-ending threat for the past 5 years now.

• Season 3 and PoF were both ultimately about not letting another Elder Dragon die or else the world go boom.
  • Season 4 was ultimately about stopping Kralkatorrik or else the world/multiverse go boom.
  • IBS was ultimately about stopping the rampage of two Elder Dragons or the world go boom.
  • EoD was ultimately about stopping the Dragonvoid outbreak or else the world go boom.

I think it's high time for a main plot that isn't "or else the world go boom" slapped into it. A threat on par to Scarlet which can lead to a single major city being wiped out is still a threat worthy of the Commander.

17 hours ago, mandala.8507 said:

All I can say is that I don't agree with your assertions here, that I think you're interpreting the dialogue incorrectly, and that I hope with upcoming story additions a clearer image of the inner workings of this world will come into focus for you and everyone else who's not quite seeing the bigger picture yet.

We successfully brought Soo-Won to the Harvest Temple and used the extractors to remove the Void from her body. Unfortunately, once the corrupted magic was out, it coalesced to form its own being and attacked us with its army.
[...]
The Dragonvoid was so certain of its inevitability. But as Aurene reminded me, nothing is inevitable. Not even the Dragon Cycle. And in the end, we defeated it, ripping its tendrils out of Tyria and restoring the world to harmony.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Only_One#My_story

One of many moments in the game which distinctly separates Void (the force of nature) from the Dragonvoid ("its own being") and giving the latter personality.

Add on how both Taimi and Kuunavang describe the Void earlier in the game... idk, feels certain that Void = mindless force of nature with no persona; Dragonvoid = mindful force of nature with persona and villainous intent.

But I guess we can agree to disagree. Hopefully the upcoming story won't be about the Void, though, unless it's to properly worldbuild it (which EoD didn't do well) without it being a / the threat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Wondering if it'll have something to do with Joon and her trying to find alternatives to power jade tech and New Kaineng, now that Soo-Won is dead. 

That is the most possible reason from what I can guess with that has been set up.

Everyone did literally retire from DW and gone off to their own thing in life now but it will be no surprise if the Commander is called to help with this issue as a possible job or request from a certain friend who need someone with the Commander's combat skills.

The Commander been the most muscle of the group after all considering how much he/she changes the outcome of combat situations just by getting involved.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:13 AM, TeeracK.3601 said:

The canonical lore is: There was once this guy who was VERY angry, so angry in fact that when he died he screamed very loud.. So loud that he turned the trees to stone and the water to jade. It all makes perfect sense.

Yes... There was nothing about him stealing magic from a ritual and twisting it so that when he died it was released and the corrupted magic caused all of that to occur.